GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-06-2013, 09:55   #21
robotoid

Vertical to the left side front next to the buckle (right handed), just because that's where I've carried it for so long (20+ years). If I moved it and got a stressed situation, I'd lose the muscle memory of where to grab for them. Everything on my belt has pretty much been in the same position for 20+ years. Had to move my ASP to a thigh pocket when they made the Taser mandatory carry and I needed belt space for it. Had to buy and mod a Taser holster to ride higher for front (10 o'clock) crossdraw where the ASP used to ride.
robotoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:54   #22
volsbear
Lifetime Membership
IWannaBeSedated

There's a department north of me that uses 1911s. I've seen several of their guys with vertical, open four-mag carriers.

"He'd look better with lividity" - BlueIron

Black Rifle Club - RRA-PSG
S&W Club - 22227
volsbear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:47   #23
boomhower

Vertical. I don't have room to carry it horizontal. Give me a couple more years to add some circumference and I'll change it.
boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:24   #24
ditchdoc24

Vertical at about the 1 o'clock position (I'm left handed). I've been thinking about going to an open top mag pouch but haven't done it yet.
ditchdoc24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:35   #25
Panzergrenadier1979
Keystone Cop

Personal preference.

I carried a double closed-top mag pouch horizontally, on the gun side, with the tops facing the belt buckle during the academy and through probation. This is how 90% of my department carries them.

I then switched and now carry the mag pouch vertically on my weak side, just to the left of the gig line. It is a little less comfortable during reloads then horizontal carry but it's not a big deal. The real reason why I switched was to free up some extra inches on my belt. I don't consider a 34" waist to be "skinny" but I'm just out of real estate on my belt. It's also easy to access my mags with both hands.

Incidentally I've also found that the space between the top of the horizontal mag pouch and my uniform is a great place to stuff my gloves or other items in a hurry when I'm done with them but don't have time to put them away.

I know a cop in my county that wears his mag pouch vertically in the small of his back.... I guess he doesn't expect to ever need to reload in a hurry.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Panzergrenadier1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 14:56   #26
x_out86

Vertical at about 11 o'clock (being right handed). This was what we were trained in the academy. Our head firearms instructor preached this because he said it serves two purposes:

1. Faster reload because of the motion (in theory). Of course practice could make horizontal just as fast.

2. Much easier to get a magazine out while prone. This one I will agree with.

Trained that way from the get go, and still do it that way. Does not really make a difference in comfort for me when sitting, but then again I dont have a gut at all.
I long to accomplish a great and noble tasks, but it is my chief duty to accomplish humble tasks as though they were great and noble. The world is moved along, not only by the mighty shoves of its heroes, but also by the aggregate of the tiny pushes of each honest worker.
x_out86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 00:11   #27
SAR
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member

On my regular leather duty belt, I carry them vertically primarily for aesthetic reasons. On my nylon tactical gear, I wear them horizontally because vertical wear is uncomfortable during qualification because our stages include shooting from a kneeling position while wearing plate carriers.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:51   #28
Ftttu

I like mine horizontal on my uniform duty belt because I'd rather pull the mag back than to pull up if my arm is injured or weakened and because my muffin top is in the way,me specially while being seated. In plain clothes, my double mag is vertical like most others, though.

Depending on my duty assignment of the day, I'm probably in jeans and an untucked polo shirt so I wear the mag holder. If I know I will be in the field ATL wanted subjects, I will be wearing our black law enforcement agency identified T-shirt and 5-11 pants, where I will use the mag pocket just to keep down the clutter on my belt. Of course, the mag pocket is vertical.

Last edited by Ftttu; 09-07-2013 at 07:56.. Reason: Spelling
Ftttu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:58   #29
cwr

I used to carry them vertical, my left of my belt buckle. When I went to motors, we would plug our portables into the bike so that we had a mic button at the left hand controls of the bike. This was wired to a cable that came out just under the front of the seat and when we got on the bike we plugged into our belts right where the vertical carrier was. This caused me to place the mags horizontal to my right of my buckle. I found I was able to reload faster this way and it just felt "better" to me. After I came of the bike I just left them there.

Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you. – Jeremy Clarkson
cwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 15:12   #30
CJStudent
Fenced In

Send a message via AIM to CJStudent Send a message via Yahoo to CJStudent
Verticle at 11-o-clock, frankly because that's how I was trained and that's how I felt I reloaded faser. I may have to try the horizontal more, though.

Quote:
The first round is a moral decision. All of the following rounds are tactical decisions.
CJStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 16:25   #31
Bushido5150

Horizontal at 11 o'clock flaps facing away from the buckle.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 09-08-2013, 06:36   #32
razdog76
Heavy Mettle

I use vertical, open top, weak side next to my buckle.

The are accessible with either hand, using essentially the same gross motor skills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiron
'..You can lead an ass to facts, but you can't make them think...'
razdog76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:18   #33
e847fy

I have carried both ways Vertical when I was in the academy and switched when I got out. Last week I switched back to Vertical and its not so bad either way works as long as you practice with it.

Last edited by e847fy; 09-08-2013 at 10:19..
e847fy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 19:25   #34
vista461

Mag Pouch, vertical or horizontal and why

Vertical at 11 o'clock. It's how I was trained in the academy and what I've done since. I've been thinking about trying horizontal, just haven't yet. Also been thinking about trying an open top carrier, which I may try first.

Last edited by vista461; 09-08-2013 at 19:27..
vista461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 21:30   #35
razdog76
Heavy Mettle

Quote:
Originally Posted by vista461 View Post
Vertical at 11 o'clock. It's how I was trained in the academy and what I've done since. I've been thinking about trying horizontal, just haven't yet. Also been thinking about trying an open top carrier, which I may try first.
Once you go open top, you won't go back (without being ordered).

Just watch a coworker shoot a qualification course, and note all the redundant movement during a reload.

Quote:
Old 09-08-2013, 21:30   #36
Ohio Copper

Quote:
Originally Posted by razdog76 View Post
Once you go open top, you won't go back (without being ordered).

Just watch a coworker shoot a qualification course, and note all the redundant movement during a reload.
+1. Slimline open top. You'll never use anything else!

Benjamin Franklin
Quote:
Just being a federally "prohibited person" who owns guns and signatures about them on the internet should be enough to keep him paranoid."
Ohio Copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 21:42   #37
collim1
Shower Time!

I've tried both and ended up going with vertical. I also prefer mag pouched with a snap top for duty use. Might be a little slower but has good retention and keep my mags clean and protected.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 22:01   #38
razdog76
Heavy Mettle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Copper View Post
+1. Slimline open top. You'll never use anything else!

My current choice... although I have a couple examples from AE Nelson from before Safariland had what I wanted.

Quote:
Old 09-09-2013, 12:30   #39
Agent6-3/8

Safariland flapped slimline worn vertically at about 12:30, right against my belt buckle.
Old 09-10-2013, 13:20   #40
nitesite10mm
Dog Lover

When I wear my GLOCK34 I really like an open top Safariland horizontal carrier between my sidearm (right handed) and the center of my buckleless belt (1 o'clock) .

When I carry my 1911 I wear a triple open top vertically at around 11 o'clock.

Both ways I can access my mags with either hand. Both ways are fast.
in no particular order.........
nitesite10mm is offline   Reply With Quote