GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2013, 22:58   #201
geminicricket
NRA Life member
 
geminicricket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Lewisville, TX USA
Posts: 14,920
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bgop View Post
Would you rather have a bunch of high school dropouts?
From the high schools of 2013? That would be as good as the Ivy League government we have now.
geminicricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 23:48   #202
SGM_Brown
Senior Member
 
SGM_Brown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVFlyer View Post
I resent your allegations, Rabbi. If I had integrity issues I would not have accomplished a 25 year career as an Army officer with two below the zone promotions.

While I'm not sure why you are concerned with my friend's academic credential when what is central to this conversation are his words, what I can do is provide context for my association with him while attempting to protect everyone's privacy.

What I have stated here is what's on his curriculum vitae.

I met him while my daughter was at Harvard Business School. Parental visits and the auditing of classes are encouraged there.

Due to my daughters healthcare expertise (she was sponsored at Harvard and is currently the COO of a $40B healthcare company), she was assigned a special project for Reggie Herzlinger. My friend to be was an associate of Ms. Herzlinger (and Ray Kursweil and his son Ethan for that matter). On one of my visits, my daughter found time on her calendar to invite me to lunch with him thinking that it would make for an interesting meal. She was right and we became friends.

This document is as far as I am willing to go for the sake of verification.

The Okie Corral
I would not call this post "verification'; I would call it "vindication!"

SGM_Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 23:49   #203
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity
 
Rabbi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: San AntonioTexas
Posts: 29,872


Quote:
Originally Posted by geminicricket View Post
From the high schools of 2013? That would be as good as the Ivy League government we have now.
Again, it is easy to bash the Ivy league based on the current administration...but keep in mind, the ivy league has also produced plenty of leaders we like.
__________________
In the world to come, each of us will be called to account for all the good things G-d put on earth which we refused to enjoy. ~ The Babylonian Talmud

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

I cross my heart and hope not to die. Swallow evil, ride the sky. Lose myself in a crowded room. You fool, you fool, it will be here soon
Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 23:55   #204
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity
 
Rabbi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: San AntonioTexas
Posts: 29,872


Quote:
Originally Posted by SGM_Brown View Post
I would not call this post "verification'; I would call it "vindication!"

Vindication of what?

He claimed he knows a guy with a PhD from Harvard Medical School. When called out on the fact that Harvard Medical School does not grant PhDs....his answer is "My daughter went to Harvard Business School, here is a pic of her degree."

That is not an answer. It has nothing to do with the issue at all.

His claim is false and he has done nothing to address it. He is wrong and refused to acquiesce or own up to the fact that he told the story wrong, which I believe is the case because he has no history of this kind of irrational behavior.
__________________
In the world to come, each of us will be called to account for all the good things G-d put on earth which we refused to enjoy. ~ The Babylonian Talmud

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

I cross my heart and hope not to die. Swallow evil, ride the sky. Lose myself in a crowded room. You fool, you fool, it will be here soon

Last edited by Rabbi; 09-07-2013 at 23:58..
Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 00:22   #205
SGM_Brown
Senior Member
 
SGM_Brown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
Vindication of what?

He claimed he knows a guy with a PhD from Harvard Medical School. When called out on the fact that Harvard Medical School does not grant PhDs....his answer is "My daughter went to Harvard Business School, here is a pic of her degree."

That is not an answer. It has nothing to do with the issue at all.

His claim is false and he has done nothing to address it. He is wrong and refused to acquiesce or own up to the fact that he told the story wrong, which I believe is the case because he has no history of this kind of irrational behavior.
I'm no scholar, but I'm smart enough to see that Harvard Medical School's own website says that they offer Ph.Ds.

I'm have to agree with the majority of others here that you're the one that's wrong.

What's more, this seems to be some kind of personal thing that you're pursuing with GV. What you've been arguing has nothing to do with the subject of this thread.
SGM_Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 00:28   #206
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity
 
Rabbi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: San AntonioTexas
Posts: 29,872


Quote:
Originally Posted by SGM_Brown View Post
I'm no scholar, but I'm smart enough to see that Harvard Medical School's own website says that they offer Ph.Ds.

I'm have to agree with the majority of others here that you're the one that's wrong.

What's more, this seems to be some kind of personal thing that you're pursuing with GV. What you've been arguing has nothing to do with the subject of this thread.
Harvard Medical Schools website says no such thing. What it does say is there are MD/PhD programs. If you actually read the details of those programs, you will find that the PhD part is not offered by Harvard Medical School. That information and the links that explain such things have been posted in this thread.

http://www.gsas.harvard.edu/prospect...hd_program.php

The MD and PhD degrees are obtained in an average of seven years and are conferred by the awarding Faculties upon completion of requirements for both degrees

Applicants to the MD-PhD Program must apply to the Harvard Medical School (HMS) via the American Medical College Application Service (AMCAS) by October 15, 2013 and to the MD/PhD program by October 22, 2013. The HMS application will include a supplemental MD-PhD section. A separate application for the PhD must be submitted to the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences in the second year of the MD program.

You are wrong. No amount of consensus can overcome that. Now, the question is, will you concede it in the face of the evidence.

As for a "personal" thing, not at all. GVflyer is without a doubt one of my favorite posters on Glock Talk. He is smart, full of great stories and accomplished in his field, which is an interesting field at that. He posted something in this thread that is not true. I sought clarification, he has provided none. Instead he has evaded the simple issue.
__________________
In the world to come, each of us will be called to account for all the good things G-d put on earth which we refused to enjoy. ~ The Babylonian Talmud

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

I cross my heart and hope not to die. Swallow evil, ride the sky. Lose myself in a crowded room. You fool, you fool, it will be here soon

Last edited by Rabbi; 09-08-2013 at 00:41..
Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 00:37   #207
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity
 
Rabbi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: San AntonioTexas
Posts: 29,872


edit to put in previous post.
__________________
In the world to come, each of us will be called to account for all the good things G-d put on earth which we refused to enjoy. ~ The Babylonian Talmud

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

I cross my heart and hope not to die. Swallow evil, ride the sky. Lose myself in a crowded room. You fool, you fool, it will be here soon

Last edited by Rabbi; 09-08-2013 at 00:38..
Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:44   #208
happyguy
Na Ben Don Chat
 
happyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Indiana
Posts: 14,226
I think there are several reasons highly educated people sometimes seem like they are less smart.

One is specialization, often these individuals invest so much in learning about one small corner of one specific subject that they kind of become two dimensional. They just have little experience or exposure to anything outside their field.

Some are consumed by what they do and love it to the point of distraction. Hence coming to work with one brown shoe and one black shoe. Even as they are dressing themselves, their mind is elsewhere working on something else. I've notice this also with highly creative people like songwriters and poets. They'll be writing a song in the back of their mind at the same time they are having a conversation with you. A few I've know would sometimes breakout in song at the most inappropriate times.

And some a just wired differently than the rest of us.

It's all good. Where would we be without them?

Regards,
Happyguy
__________________
"Success isn't a result of spontaneous combustion. You have to set yourself on fire." - Arnold H. Glasgow

Last edited by happyguy; 09-08-2013 at 10:40..
happyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:53   #209
AZson
Senior Member
 
AZson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Tucson
Posts: 3,017
You cannot teach commonsense. Just look at the voters who put brack into office.
__________________
G17 G27 G29 G35 G38 NRA GSSF
NEED A GOOD GUN? See your local ATF (AKA F-troop) agent. He will get you one fast and furiously.
AZson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:41   #210
tenforme
Senior Member
 
tenforme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZson View Post
You cannot teach commonsense. Just look at the voters who put brack into office.
For sure, we had to endure Bush Jr twice
tenforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 13:39   #211
flyover
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Western Kansas
Posts: 360
Out here we just call it school book smart and common sense stupid.
flyover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 16:11   #212
Cavalry Doc
Silver Membership
MAJ (USA Ret.)
 
Cavalry Doc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 41,155


Daily, I deal with people with advanced medical and administrative degrees. Some are heralded researchers. Many have over 15 years of concentrated education.

Education cannot make you smart if you don't have the ability to be smart. You can achieve an advanced degree, without knowing how to tie your own shoes, or manage your way out of a simple disagreement over clearly written rules of engagement.


It takes more than ability to navigate an education system, to be a smart operator in REAL life.
Cavalry Doc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 16:18   #213
2bgop
Senior Member
 
2bgop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: In the SEC
Posts: 5,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGM_Brown View Post
I would not call this post "verification'; I would call it "vindication!"

Please explain?
2bgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 17:34   #214
Jake Starr
Senior Member
 
Jake Starr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 4,648
Education is merely the process of receiving or how to find information.

Intellegence is the ability to use the information received.

One is a learned skill the other an innate gift.

I know many highly educated dolts. They are merely walking encyclopedias. Big deal.

But I also know several uneducated intellegent people.

However a highly intellegent, educated person is rare indeed. Often they shun polite soceity or are housed away in some govt think tank that you and I may never know of....
__________________
Christian pacifism is an option not a requirement.

The Christian faith is in no way pacifistic.
Jake Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 18:02   #215
hpracing007
Senior Member
 
hpracing007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: TEXAS
Posts: 5,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Starr View Post
However a highly intellegent, educated person is rare indeed. Often they shun polite soceity or are housed away in some govt think tank that you and I may never know of....
Eh, I dunno about that...
hpracing007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 18:06   #216
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity
 
Rabbi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: San AntonioTexas
Posts: 29,872


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Starr

However a highly intellegent, educated person is rare indeed. Often they shun polite soceity or are housed away in some govt think tank that you and I may never know of....
I also dont agree with the idea that intelligent and educated people are squirrelled away. Far more are in the private sector with many having some degree of high profile.
__________________
In the world to come, each of us will be called to account for all the good things G-d put on earth which we refused to enjoy. ~ The Babylonian Talmud

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

I cross my heart and hope not to die. Swallow evil, ride the sky. Lose myself in a crowded room. You fool, you fool, it will be here soon

Last edited by Rabbi; 09-08-2013 at 19:57..
Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 21:23   #217
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity
 
Rabbi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: San AntonioTexas
Posts: 29,872


Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bgop View Post
Please explain?
I dont think they want to be in on this one anymore.
__________________
In the world to come, each of us will be called to account for all the good things G-d put on earth which we refused to enjoy. ~ The Babylonian Talmud

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

I cross my heart and hope not to die. Swallow evil, ride the sky. Lose myself in a crowded room. You fool, you fool, it will be here soon
Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 21:37   #218
professorpinki
Bumbling idjit
 
professorpinki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Starr View Post
Education is merely the process of receiving or how to find information.

Intellegence is the ability to use the information received.

One is a learned skill the other an innate gift.

I know many highly educated dolts. They are merely walking encyclopedias. Big deal.

But I also know several uneducated intellegent people.

However a highly intellegent, educated person is rare indeed. Often they shun polite soceity or are housed away in some govt think tank that you and I may never know of....
Michel de Montaigne, Alan Farrell, and most people who fall into that last category of which you speak disagree with you on your assessment of intelligence.

I do agree with you about walking encyclopedias being literally retarded, however.

Also, I've met a great number who aren't housed away in top secret Area 51 centers where they keep the aliens.
professorpinki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 22:58   #219
CAcop
Senior Member
 
CAcop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: California
Posts: 21,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
Again, it is easy to bash the Ivy league based on the current administration...but keep in mind, the ivy league has also produced plenty of leaders we like.
I haven't liked anyone since Ike.


Seriously I can't think of a politician since Eisnenhower who was worth a darn. Churchill before that.
__________________
I wonder if your assessment of "The Wizard of Oz" would sound something like "A teenaged orphan runs away with three psychotic AD/HD patients and a little dog. She kills the first two women she meets." --Sinecure 07/03/2006
Freakin' awsome!! Kickin it old school. Hot sheet on the dash. The report was probably only two sentences. Long live Rencko and Bobbie Hill!--WhiskeyT
CAcop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:20   #220
Bill Lumberg
BTF Inventor
 
Bill Lumberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 6,856
Because education is not intended to "make people smart". It is intended to educate them, teaching them information and processes. Intelligence and knowledge are two different things. While the former can position one to take better advantage of the latter, the latter is not designed or intended to create the former.
__________________
Did someone talk to you about your TPS reports?
Bill Lumberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:51   #221
JuneyBooney
Senior Member
 
JuneyBooney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 15,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by farscott View Post
Who says that most Americans are well-educated? Most are functionally illiterate, cannot do basic math (ever watch people make change or compute a tip??), and have no understanding of basic physics. Combine that with people who have an agenda and you get where we are.
All people are stupid at something or the other. Trusting others is the first part of being stupid.
JuneyBooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:05   #222
Flying-Dutchman
Senior Member
 
Flying-Dutchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,075
A degree shows you are at least smart enough to earn it.

An education does not give you common sense or creativity.

And there are highly educated people who have “rubber arms”. They have no mechanical dexterity. Some fake this to avoid “honey do” jobs.
Flying-Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:05   #223
Jordan81
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NW Ohio
Posts: 186
Because the difference between intelligence and wisdom is as far as the east is from the west.
Jordan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:07   #224
Flying-Dutchman
Senior Member
 
Flying-Dutchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,075
On the flip side, an education does not mean you are automatically incapable of doing manual labor.

Some tradesmen make that mistake and assume as they are working for a “college boy” they can short cut the job.

I hire them because there is only one of me not because I cannot do the job (or have not done the job) myself.
Flying-Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:37   #225
DanaT
Pharaoh
 
DanaT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: CO & Baden –Württemberg
Posts: 15,827
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyover View Post
Out here we just call it school book smart and common sense stupid.
Now lets put this into context.

The president wants "common sense" gun control.

Most of the time "common sense" means "stupidity that a lot of people believe in".
__________________
Quote:
Twice a week? 14 times a month?
Quote:
2x4=8, not 14.
Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view.
DanaT is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 20:39.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,511
482 Members
1,029 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42