GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2013, 08:44   #226
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity
 
Rabbi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: San AntonioTexas
Posts: 29,873


Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaT View Post
Now lets put this into context.

The president wants "common sense" gun control.

Most of the time "common sense" means "stupidity that a lot of people believe in".
You have a very valid point. What "common sense" means to most people is "The way I think it should be." Common sense is just about as horrid a way to govern as is "fair" which is one of the most horrid words in a politicians lexicon.

When uneducated people attack the choices of the educated, it tends to be out of straight jealousy, a lack of understanding that the choice is often the arbitrary part, it is the option that matters (people who cant let go of the fact you like a certain brand/team/color...)...or, and the worst of it, the facts that education tends to bring get in the way of their feelings on an issue.

If a man really desires liberty, then he has to accept he can go as far as his will and abilities will take him. That is liberty but liberty has a price and that is accepting the fact that someone else may very well be better and have more.

Most people don't really want liberty because liberty is hard work and it involves winners, losers and consequences.
__________________
In the world to come, each of us will be called to account for all the good things G-d put on earth which we refused to enjoy. ~ The Babylonian Talmud

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

I cross my heart and hope not to die. Swallow evil, ride the sky. Lose myself in a crowded room. You fool, you fool, it will be here soon

Last edited by Rabbi; 09-09-2013 at 08:45..
Rabbi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:10   #227
DanaT
Pharaoh
 
DanaT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: CO & Baden –Württemberg
Posts: 15,827
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post

Most people don't really want liberty because liberty is hard work and it involves winners, losers and consequences.
Lets be honest, it is not just hard work and skill. There is some luck involved also. It can be argued that you also make your own luck, but that is a partial truth.

In my career, there have been certain paths that have crossed that have propelled me. Person A introduced to Person B. If you never meet person A, you wont know person B. If person A and B are not acquaintances you dont meet Person B and you have no control other than luck that Person A and Person B know each other.
__________________
Quote:
Twice a week? 14 times a month?
Quote:
2x4=8, not 14.
Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view.
DanaT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:13   #228
DanaT
Pharaoh
 
DanaT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: CO & Baden –Württemberg
Posts: 15,827
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
If a man really desires liberty, then he has to accept he can go as far as his will and abilities will take him. That is liberty but liberty has a price and that is accepting the fact that someone else may very well be better and have more.
So put this in 21st USA thinking.

"If I succeed, I worked hard and did it myself. IF I fail it was someone else's fault"

People wanting more than their finances allow(and the government wanting to spend more than their finances allow) is a big part of what has this country in a mess.
__________________
Quote:
Twice a week? 14 times a month?
Quote:
2x4=8, not 14.
Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view.
DanaT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:15   #229
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity
 
Rabbi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: San AntonioTexas
Posts: 29,873


Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaT View Post
Lets be honest, it is not just hard work and skill. There is some luck involved also. It can be argued that you also make your own luck, but that is a partial truth.

In my career, there have been certain paths that have crossed that have propelled me. Person A introduced to Person B. If you never meet person A, you wont know person B. If person A and B are not acquaintances you dont meet Person B and you have no control other than luck that Person A and Person B know each other.
You can do everything right and still lose. You can be dealt a bad health hand. You can be at the wrong place at the wrong time. I get that...but barring that, "luck" tends to mean how far you will go, not "if you will go at all."

What I mean by that is, there is much more "luck" involved between the guy who makes 20 million and the guy who makes 100 million. The fact that both of them made it quite far doesn't often involve as much luck as skill, wisdom and will.

If you do all the right thing and top that off with being correct with your choices, you will do well. The luck part is what you cant often control (again, health, and whatnot) and just how far you will get.
__________________
In the world to come, each of us will be called to account for all the good things G-d put on earth which we refused to enjoy. ~ The Babylonian Talmud

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

I cross my heart and hope not to die. Swallow evil, ride the sky. Lose myself in a crowded room. You fool, you fool, it will be here soon
Rabbi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:22   #230
hpracing007
Senior Member
 
hpracing007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: TEXAS
Posts: 5,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaT View Post
Lets be honest, it is not just hard work and skill. There is some luck involved also. It can be argued that you also make your own luck, but that is a partial truth.

In my career, there have been certain paths that have crossed that have propelled me. Person A introduced to Person B. If you never meet person A, you wont know person B. If person A and B are not acquaintances you dont meet Person B and you have no control other than luck that Person A and Person B know each other.
On that topic, I'm reading a book called fooled by randomness that is eyeopening, if anyone is looking for an interesting book to read.

Last edited by hpracing007; 09-09-2013 at 09:24..
hpracing007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 16:45   #231
Brian Lee
Drop those nuts
 
Brian Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Up a tree.
Posts: 7,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narkcop View Post
In my experience education level does not equate to smart. Look how the mainstream media influences the sheeple who by and large are well educated. One example is how people are buying into this notion of bombing Syria because the media is telling them "It's the right thing to do". That is now the catch phrase of this bunch of KOOKS.
So failure to agree with your own politics makes a person is a dummy?

It's not smart to assume that anyone who disagrees with your political opinion is not smart.
Brian Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 18:03   #232
Flying-Dutchman
Senior Member
 
Flying-Dutchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaT View Post

The president wants "common sense" gun control.

Most of the time "common sense" means "stupidity that a lot of people believe in".
The media and the Government used the word “common sense” gun control in a malevolent way, 1984 style.

It is as if they received marching orders but more likely they just latched on to the words as they have identical mindsets.
Flying-Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 18:25   #233
Kevin108
HADOKEN!
 
Kevin108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Portsmouth, VA
Posts: 6,943


The short answer: compulsory education isn't.

I haven't read any of the posts here but I am reading The Underground History of American Education by John Taylor Gatto. Cookie-cutter classes and dumbed-down standardized testing aren't helping us at all. Establishing an education system stocked with DMV workers (and the occasional hidden gems) is a failing proposition. People learn best when they're truly interested.
__________________
Kevin108.com | OpenCarry.org | VCDL.org

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a
little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
_____- Ben Franklin
Kevin108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:04   #234
manonmars
Spaced Out
 
manonmars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: The Great Cosmos
Posts: 1,768
You ain't got no idear why stoopid folk ain't smart?

I defer you to my sig. line, which I coined years ago.
__________________
Some people are Smart, but not Intelligent. Some people are Intelligent, but not Smart..................LUCKILY, I am neither.
manonmars
manonmars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:51   #235
Haldor
Retired EE
 
Haldor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Central Arizona
Posts: 5,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by glock1911revolver View Post
I am a heavy equipment operator. Most people would look at a lawyer and expect them to be smarter.

But since this is GT, I'll go ahead and say that I'm the smartest person in the world. Not to mention the most athletic, most handsome, best lover, and most charismatic person on the planet.
You are the most interesting man in the world! What kind of beer do you drink?
__________________
Quote:
Guys! Guys! He's down! Stop kicking him! If he shows up on another thread, Tasers are indicated, but for now, let him slink off into the shadows to lick his wounds and ponder how deeply cool and misunderstood he is!
Hoot nred Mrs. Vr.
Haldor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:13   #236
12131
CLM Number 101
Monkeyboy
 
12131's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: God's Country (Texas)
Posts: 11,021
Quote:
Why is it that education doesn't make most people smart?
In my experience education level does not equate to smart.
Whoever thinks that education somehow makes folks smart is dumb in the first place.
__________________
NRA Lifer, GOA Lifer, SAF Lifer
Commie libs, criminals, and sheeple love gun control. It's easier to blame inanimate objects than the killers themselves.
Andrew Cuomo & Michael Bloomberg = Friends of criminals

Politicians and judges who voted for, and supported, Obamacare are traitors to the country!
Con, the first 3 letters in Congress.
UN, the first 2 letters in UNnecessary.
12131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 13:03   #237
fx77
CLM Number 232
Charter Lifetime Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,775
Was it Mark Twain who said he never let school interfere with his education?
fx77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 23:50   #238
GVFlyer
Senior Member
 
GVFlyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Somewhere in the air.
Posts: 6,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
I dont think they want to be in on this one anymore.
Apparently, being a component of "they", against my better judgement, I will give a limited response.

I refuse to participate in arguments whose components consist of logical fallacies, mental m a s t u r b a t i o n and circular arguments.

You have demonstrated a compulsion with the irrelevant by repeatedly asserting that you are right because you think that you are right, despite overwhelming testimony, documentation and personal experience of degreed professionals that you are wrong...all on a matter that has no bearing on the subject of the thread.

Reviewing my posts, I've provided sufficient information for the intelligentsia to determine everything about my friend except when his next TED talk might be; I will go no farther.

In graduate school, one of my law professors told me that in some discussions there came a point where one must claim the "Proverbs Defense" and exit the argument. I reached that point some while ago.
__________________
The Truth Only Hurts If It Should.

http://www.specialops.org/
GVFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:35   #239
glock1911revolver
Vice-Emperor
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: State
Posts: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haldor View Post
You are the most interesting man in the world! What kind of beer do you drink?

Pabst Blue Ribbon, unless I'm somewhere that I can find Hamm's. Classy fella, I am.
__________________
I POOPED TODAY.
glock1911revolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:00   #240
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity
 
Rabbi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: San AntonioTexas
Posts: 29,873


Quote:
Originally Posted by GVFlyer View Post
Apparently, being a component of "they", against my better judgement, I will give a limited response.

I refuse to participate in arguments whose components consist of logical fallacies, mental m a s t u r b a t i o n and circular arguments.

You have demonstrated a compulsion with the irrelevant by repeatedly asserting that you are right because you think that you are right, despite overwhelming testimony, documentation and personal experience of degreed professionals that you are wrong...all on a matter that has no bearing on the subject of the thread.

Reviewing my posts, I've provided sufficient information for the intelligentsia to determine everything about my friend except when his next TED talk might be; I will go no farther.

In graduate school, one of my law professors told me that in some discussions there came a point where one must claim the "Proverbs Defense" and exit the argument. I reached that point some while ago.
And again, none of this counters any of the evidence against your claims.

My evidence is what Harvard says, from Harvard. You are the one who has done nothing more than make an assertion. Everything you claim "I" am doing is the exact thing you have done. You offer nothing, you deflect, you accuse, but you have not posted a single fact.

Lets be point blank about it.

Does your friend has a PhD from Harvard Medical School? You made the claim he does. Harvard says there is no such thing. It is a yes or no question.

This is all on you. You are wrong and it has been proven.
__________________
In the world to come, each of us will be called to account for all the good things G-d put on earth which we refused to enjoy. ~ The Babylonian Talmud

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

I cross my heart and hope not to die. Swallow evil, ride the sky. Lose myself in a crowded room. You fool, you fool, it will be here soon

Last edited by Rabbi; 09-11-2013 at 10:02..
Rabbi is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:09.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,084
363 Members
721 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42