GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-05-2013, 17:03   #121
RussP

Lets put it this way. The training syllabus now includes an expanded section on "How to act when encountering police!" The Chief's video will be shown as the lead-in.

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:36   #122
varget

This thread just reinforces my decision to leave chicago for Texas 20 years ago. Best move I have made in 20 years! Stay safe and avoid acting in ways that draw police attention..........just act right and enjoy life.
varget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:07   #123
garander

Quote:
Originally Posted by varget View Post
This thread just reinforces my decision to leave chicago for Texas 20 years ago. Best move I have made in 20 years! Stay safe and avoid acting in ways that draw police attention..........just act right and enjoy life.
Yea your much better off burnin varget down in texas than chicago. Good move!
garander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 18:47   #124
maxmanta

What is it with that stupid little moustache?

If it wasn't for the uniform, he'd look like some fat guy in a Burger King at one in the morning.

Seriously, though. If a Chicago cop does shoot a CCW'er (regardless of the circumstances) this will be the first thing brought up by the plaintiff's lawyer in a lawsuit.

Last edited by maxmanta; 09-07-2013 at 00:01.. Reason: Edited for content. And unintended offensive statements.
maxmanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 19:11   #125
Ohio Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmanta View Post
What is it with cops and that stupid little moustache?

If it wasn't for the uniform, he'd look like some fat guy in a Burger King at one in the morning.

Seriously, though. If a Chicago cop does shoot a CCW'er (regardless of the circumstances) this will be the first thing brought up by the plaintiff's lawyer in a lawsuit.
Don't ever read a departments use of force policy, you may crap your pants.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Benjamin Franklin
Quote:
Just being a federally "prohibited person" who owns guns and signatures about them on the internet should be enough to keep him paranoid."
Ohio Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 19:36   #126
RussP

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmanta View Post
What is it with cops and that stupid little moustache?
The "cops" with "that stupid little moustache," do you find a common denominator among those sporting them?

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 20:34   #127
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBerk View Post
Honestly Bren I totally agree with you that if I were to point my weapon at a police officer I would be in deep trouble. BUT I do not hold police officers above that same threat. If they were to point their gun at me wouldn't I also be just as justified to shoot first or are regular citizens not afforded the same life expectancies?
Probably not - under Kentucky law, for example (it's the same in many places) you lose the right to self defense if:
Quote:
Notwithstanding the provisions of KRS 503.050, the use of physical force by a defendant upon another person is not justifiable when:
(1) The defendant is resisting an arrest by a peace officer, recognized to be acting under color of official authority and using no more force than reasonably necessary to effect the arrest, although the arrest is unlawful; or
The police can use a threat of force to make an arrest, so the only way you'd have a defense is if you couldn't tell he was the police.

However, if someone not identified as a police officer points a gun at you, both you and the police have the same right to shoot him, whether he is a CCWer, a bank robber, or an undercover cop.

Last edited by Bren; 09-06-2013 at 20:36..
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 20:40   #128
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAcop View Post
Wouldn't that be state's rights in a nutshell?

CA is the only state in the union that allows lane splitting by motorcycles. Are they wrong or are they right?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app
California is wrong about that, like everything else. When 49 other states do the opposite, odds are your state is wrong - not always, but likely. Lane splitting is a good example of that - it endangers everybody on the road..
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 21:08   #129
donovan655

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Copper View Post
How are LE supposed to know if you're the good guy or not?

When we tell you. Or if you have good dispatch they will give you the description so you will know beforehand
Old 09-06-2013, 21:33   #130
Ohio Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by donovan655 View Post
When we tell you. Or if you have good dispatch they will give you the description so you will know beforehand
You just said the words dispatch and good description in the same sentence....

They'd probably give me the call as a shoplifter.

I'm going home every night. Plain and simple.

Benjamin Franklin
Quote:
Just being a federally "prohibited person" who owns guns and signatures about them on the internet should be enough to keep him paranoid."
Old 09-06-2013, 21:37   #131
CLM Number 101
Monkeyboy

Aaah, from the mouth of another Chicago thug. What a surprise,..........NOT!

Politicians and judges who voted for, and supported, Obamacare are traitors to the country!
Con, the first 3 letters in Congress.
UN, the first 2 letters in UNnecessary.
12131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 21:39   #132
donovan655

Quote:
You just said the words dispatch and good description in the same sentence....

They'd probably give me the call as a shoplifter.

I'm going home every night. Plain and simple.

I want you to go home every night too. Not sure what that comment means.
Old 09-06-2013, 21:44   #133
Ohio Cop

Quote:
I want you to go home every night too. Not sure what that comment means.
It means in a perfect world things will go like that. We live and strive in an imperfect world. I've been dispatched to a shots fired call at a restaurant and the only thing I was told was "units, start heading to such and such, shots fired, gettin further. I was on scene 80 seconds later. My partner was there in less than 20. Had no idea what we were walking into. No doubt if somebody had been standing atop someone else with a gun in their hand, they'd have been proned out for a few minutes until we figure it out.

Benjamin Franklin
Quote:
Old 09-06-2013, 21:54   #134
donovan655

Quote:
It means in a perfect world things will go like that. We live and strive in an imperfect world. I've been dispatched to a shots fired call at a restaurant and the only thing I was told was "units, start heading to such and such, shots fired, gettin further. I was on scene 80 seconds later. My partner was there in less than 20. Had no idea what we were walking into. No doubt if somebody had been standing atop someone else with a gun in their hand, they'd have been proned out for a few minutes until we figure it out.

And if it is a good guy you will get an indication that they will cooperate and want to help and have acted in self defense--as soon as they know you are on scene. You will see someone glad you are there.
Old 09-06-2013, 22:08   #135
Ohio Cop

Quote:
And if it is a good guy you will get an indication that they will cooperate and want to help and have acted in self defense--as soon as they know you are on scene. You will see someone glad you are there.
One would hope so.

Benjamin Franklin
Quote:
Old 09-06-2013, 22:48   #136
Sharky7
Boomshakalaka

Quote:
Unless you open carry and record yourself for YouTube. Officers can be running into a dispatched call of shots fired - and you could have someone who won't show their hands or won't show their "papers."

You would hope the good guys would be cooperative - especially when it comes to guns.
Sharky7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 23:23   #137
WarCry

Quote:
Forget about whether dispatch passes complete information to responding officers or not. Let's assume they give every detail they've received.

But you're still assuming the dispatcher will know who the good guy is. I'm willing to bet the most common call will be coming from a bystander, someone that probably didn't even see what happened, but the call will be something like:

"We need the police out here! There are two guys, they were fighting, but now one is laying in the street, the other one is pointing a gun at him. The guy with a gun is wearing....."

Based on that, what do you think the first officer on site should assume? "Well, the guy with gun is PROBABLY a good guy, CCW holder, so I'll just stroll up and ask how his night's going......"

Last edited by WarCry; 09-06-2013 at 23:24..
WarCry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 23:27   #138
Baba Louie

Quote:
You would hope the good guys would be cooperative - especially when it comes to guns.
Most, if not all, good guys will be cooperative. It's the other ones Coppers need be wary of and the amount of time they have to determine same when rolling up on the scene.

Much ado about nothing other than one appointed Chief Twit's verbal diarrhea (with some truth contained therein tho). 99% of CCWs will never need to use their weapon, will avoid going to places they do not belong at times they do not belong there. (I made that number up as I haven't a clue how many CCWs get into firefights daily in the US )

Will the wild kids and bad guys get the same message and play by the same rules? Not to date. Never. Unless you, as a CCW shoot one of their buddies. Then I'd expect them to cooperate with the officers and tell the coppers how you ambushed them while they were on a "skittle-n-tea'" run or something else creative)

I'd fear an Al Sharpton/JJackson response to a legit CCW shooting in Chicago before I'd really worry about a single CPD Copper shooting me... myself. But that's just me and I'll avoid Chicago unless I can't (and I think I can make to my dying day without ever going back).
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13
Baba Louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 23:36   #139
countrygun

Quote:
Quote:

What is your experience in calling the police in an emergency and having them respond? Have they always arrived with all the knowledge you thought they should have had?

You might be surprised at how weird even the "good guy" can act at a scene. That is one of the reasons for extreme caution.

It never works as well as the perfect scripts on TV.

(none of this is to imply that the official, who is the topic of the thread, isn't a jerk)
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 04:26   #140
happyguy
Man, I'm Pretty

If person has just been under the stress of a deadly force incident he may or may not be thinking clearly.

That's one of the reasons good guys get shot and it's another good reason for cops to respond with extreme caution.

There is more than ample opportunity for anyone involved to make a mistake or compound someone else's mistake.

Regards,
Happyguy
Proverbs 21:31 The horse is prepared against the day of battle: but victory is of the LORD.

"I refuse to tip-toe through life only to arrive at death safely."
happyguy is offline   Reply With Quote