Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2013, 10:24   #61
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?
 
TBO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: NRA Life Member
Posts: 46,414
Blog Entries: 1


They'll be back, on the next thread.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Copatalk 4
__________________
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

"A person who won't reason has no advantage over one who can't reason."

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”


Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn:
Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:44   #62
Roering
Sorting nuts
 
Roering's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 4,691
“You put more guns on the street expect more shootings”

Civil Liberties Issues
__________________
------------------------------------------------------
Warranty voiding

Never buy vegan tacos from a chick with longer armpit hair than yourself. - Woofie
Roering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:18   #63
racerford
Senior Member
 
racerford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: DFW area
Posts: 5,149


The title is inflammatory. However, so is what the police superintendent said. He could just as easily have said, with more cell phones on the streets more people will be shot by police. He clearly says that they sometimes shoot people reaching for cellphones. The reality is that in spite of the many "the streets will run with blood" warnings from police administrators over the years, it just hasn't happened. Now maybe he is correct, and the people and/or the police in Chicago are less competent than in the rest of the country and they will be shooting concealed carry lincense holders right and left, because the Chicago License holders will more likely to point their concealed weapons at the police than anywhere else in the country.

He clearly doesn't like the change in law, and does not want people to carry. He is saying this obvious point (point a gun at a police officer and you will get shot) to discourage concealed carry. Heck, he believes that if you point a cellphone at one of his officers, you could get shot too.
racerford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:20   #64
gommer
Senior Member
 
gommer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,097
I guess I don't get the problem with what he said.

I don't LIKE the guy, don't like his general 'view' of things, but I also don't see that he said anything wrong.



So, he thinks there will be more shootings with more guns. Well, I'd guess that's possible. My hope is they would be more LEGAL self-defense shootings and less law-abiding-victims.


He also is concerned someone who is armed and defended themselves might find themselves in a meeting with the police, victim/self-defender turns unwittingly pointing their gun at the cop and gets shot ---- or worse is just shot by accident... also possible.


I didn't take from his statements that they would be shooting CCW holders like it's a new sport or even out of spite or given less consideration than anyone else... just being a drama queen.


Though, maybe not as much a drama-queen as some of those who are off-quoting him.

What do I know, though...
gommer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:12   #65
Jeff82
CLM Number 237
NRA Benefactor
 
Jeff82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: USofA!
Posts: 6,127


Quote:
Originally Posted by volky View Post
What he said was, if you face a cop with a gun in your hand, you'll get shot. I would expect that to happen anywhere.
No, what he said was his cops are so ill-prepared for their jobs that he expects them to shoot unarmed people some of the time and that his cops will shoot even more innocent people who happen to be holding a gun.
__________________
MOΛΩN ΛABE!

"A Republic, if you can keep it." B. Franklin, 1787, outside Independence Hall

There's not "good" or "bad" muslims, only those true to their book and those that aren't, yet...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Jeff82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:27   #66
SevenSixtyTwo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Tampa Bay Area Fl
Posts: 3,277
It's called suicide by cop if you do it intentionally. If you do it unintentionally it's called stupid, tragic, unfortunate etc. Muzzle a cop in Florida and you'll likely get just as dead as if in Chicago. Don't muzzle me either for that matter. At 1240fps it doesn't give me much time to inquire of your intentions. He'll, don't muzzle anyone and you likely won't have an unfortunate reaction from the other end.
SevenSixtyTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:35   #67
IGotIt
No Demlibtards
 
IGotIt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: On The Edge
Posts: 1,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff82 View Post
No, what he said was his cops are so ill-prepared for their jobs that he expects them to shoot unarmed people some of the time and that his cops will shoot even more innocent people who happen to be holding a gun.
Please indicate where he said that, especially about the unarmed people. Or maybe that's your interpretation of what you wanted him to say?

“You put more guns on the street expect more shootings,” McCarthy said. “I don’t care if they’re licensed legal firearms, people who are not highly trained… putting guns in their hands is a recipe for disaster. So I’ll train our officers that there is a concealed carry law, but when somebody turns with a firearm in their hand the officer does not have an obligation to wait to get shot to return fire and we’re going to have tragedies as a result of that. I’m telling you right up front.” -

Put yourself in these shoes; you decide to take some action against a guy who just robbed a liquor store and he turns to you with a gun in his hand. It's too late now to back out and go quietly away so what's your only option? Well there is three, hope he doesn't shoot you, hope he gives up, or you shoot him. Same thing an officer faces, only most won't wait to see if the first two options pan out.
__________________
I'm sorry I hurt your feelings when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew.
IGotIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:42   #68
mortpes
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 592
Cops will shoot anyone with a gun/weapon or looks or appears like they have a weapon or makes an offensive or defensive move or make a sound that that would indicate some such move. So expect this. Knowing this fact may save your life if you maintain high situational awareness and act accordingly. Many of the "innocent" cop shootings I have researched would have been prevented if the gun holder simply believed that they would be shot. Yes cops do shoot good guys often. We hear of this on a regular ongoing basis. Cops also die often so we really cannot fault them for being trigger happy.
mortpes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 13:02   #69
wingryder
Senior Member
 
wingryder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: 28.420, -81.171
Posts: 3,002
It sounded to me like a veiled threat. "If yous guys wanna carry a concealed weapon, you may end up getting shot by the police." It was meant to intimidate the citizenry to think twice about arming themselves in public.. That's my take on it, though I would like to see a video of his statement... to catch the inference in his voice.
__________________
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin.

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." - Carl Sagan

Last edited by wingryder; 09-04-2013 at 13:02..
wingryder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 13:16   #70
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?
 
TBO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: NRA Life Member
Posts: 46,414
Blog Entries: 1


The exercise of bias and arrogance of ignorance are well displayed here.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Copatalk 4
__________________
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

"A person who won't reason has no advantage over one who can't reason."

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”


Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn:
Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 14:44   #71
Dubble-Tapper
Senior Member
 
Dubble-Tapper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: the columbia river gorge
Posts: 1,846
extremely misleading title. shame on you OP.

i dont agree with what that officer said about gun violence, but i would expect to possibly get shot if i were handling my pistol in public.

if i did ever have to draw in public, id do my best to make sure dispatch had my description and if possible, be holstered by the time LEO got there.
Dubble-Tapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 15:17   #72
RagnarDanneskjold
Pirate
 
RagnarDanneskjold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Behind the Tofu Curtain
Posts: 6,889
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by IGotIt View Post
Please indicate where he said that, especially about the unarmed people. Or maybe that's your interpretation of what you wanted him to say?

“You put more guns on the street expect more shootings,” McCarthy said. “I don’t care if they’re licensed legal firearms, people who are not highly trained… putting guns in their hands is a recipe for disaster. So I’ll train our officers that there is a concealed carry law, but when somebody turns with a firearm in their hand the officer does not have an obligation to wait to get shot to return fire and we’re going to have tragedies as a result of that. I’m telling you right up front.” -

Put yourself in these shoes; you decide to take some action against a guy who just robbed a liquor store and he turns to you with a gun in his hand. It's too late now to back out and go quietly away so what's your only option? Well there is three, hope he doesn't shoot you, hope he gives up, or you shoot him. Same thing an officer faces, only most won't wait to see if the first two options pan out.

You, and several others, only read the first half of the statement. Here's the second blurb, lower in the article.

Quote:
“You say concealed carry I say Trayvon Martin. Police officers make mistakes all the time,” McCarthy said. “We spend six months in the police academy, six months of field training and ongoing training on a regular basis and the fact is once in a while we’re going to shoot someone with a cellphone; we’re going to shoot somebody with a flashlight and none of that is okay. But now you take John Q. Civilian, you give them six weeks or 10 weeks of training and you say ‘have at it?’ The fact is more guns are not the solution to the firearm gun violence problem in this country. Less guns and reasonable gun laws are. And just because it’s 49 states to one doesn’t mean the state of Illinois is wrong on that one.” - See more at: http://gunsnfreedom.com/chicago-poli....fyycHH2K.dpuf
Can I get a retraction from some posters defending this ass-hat about my lack of reading comprehension and the dissipation of my outrage? Didn't answer immediately 'cause I had other stuff to do.

ETA: I agree the title of the thread was overly dramatic, most on GT are. But nobody I've seen posting on this thread sounded anti-LEO, just anti-this-idiot-politician.
__________________
"The nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." Thucydides, Greek Historian

Last edited by RagnarDanneskjold; 09-04-2013 at 15:20..
RagnarDanneskjold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 15:24   #73
RagnarDanneskjold
Pirate
 
RagnarDanneskjold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Behind the Tofu Curtain
Posts: 6,889
Blog Entries: 2
Incidentally, I'm going out now, and will not be available for a few hours. Please do not interpret my absence as a dissipation of outrage.
__________________
"The nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." Thucydides, Greek Historian
RagnarDanneskjold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 15:30   #74
happyguy
Man, I'm Pretty
 
happyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: You can't get here from there!
Posts: 15,358
Those tragic accidents happen around here all the time.

Typical scare tactics which is exactly the opposite of what is needed.

He's still a tool as far as I'm concerned.

Regards,
Happyguy
__________________
Proverbs 21:31 The horse is prepared against the day of battle: but victory is of the LORD.

"I refuse to tip-toe through life only to arrive at death safely."

Last edited by happyguy; 09-04-2013 at 15:32..
happyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 15:33   #75
Peace Warrior
CLM Number 221
Am Yisrael Chai
 
Peace Warrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: With the other 7,999,999
Posts: 28,343
Blog Entries: 1
"To serve, protect, shoot any ************ that is legally carrying a gun and then let the real criminals do their thang baby!"
__________________
“After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it.” - William S. Burroughs
"Nothing we're gonna do is going to fundamentally alter or eliminate the possibility of another mass shooting or guarantee that [our gun ban legislation] will bring gun deaths down..." - VPOTUS Joe Biden
"Love 'Em All!!! Let Jehovah sort 'em out." - The Holy Bible
"It's a lot simpler to fool people than it is to convince them they've been fooled."
Peace Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 16:57   #76
Ohio Copper
Senior Member
 
Ohio Copper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: The Rust Belt.
Posts: 4,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace Warrior View Post
"To serve, protect, shoot any ************ that is legally carrying a gun and then let the real criminals do their thang baby!"
If that's how you took that...I understand where youre coming from now.


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
__________________
Quote:
Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain - and most fools do.

Benjamin Franklin
Quote:
Just being a federally "prohibited person" who owns guns and signatures about them on the internet should be enough to keep him paranoid."

Last edited by Ohio Copper; 09-04-2013 at 16:57..
Ohio Copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 17:22   #77
Restless28
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Solsbury Hill
Posts: 16,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace Warrior View Post
"To serve, protect, shoot any ************ that is legally carrying a gun and then let the real criminals do their thang baby!"
Up the meds.
Restless28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 19:29   #78
SevenSixtyTwo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Tampa Bay Area Fl
Posts: 3,277
Just a FWIW, holding a firearm in your hand as you turn to face a cop isn't "legally carrying a gun". That could easily be interpreted as "acting in a threatening manner".
SevenSixtyTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 19:45   #79
JBerk
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 43
Okay, I'm the OP. What I got out of his statements are that if I'm in a justifiable shooting and the bad guy is still able to still move and I've got my weapon at the ready or by some miracle the bad guy gives up, when the police show up there is a high probability of me getting shot. If this scenario does play out there is an attorney somewhere going to make him regret those comments.

I could also be completely wrong and this officer is Chicago's savior.
JBerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 19:58   #80
Ohio Copper
Senior Member
 
Ohio Copper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: The Rust Belt.
Posts: 4,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBerk View Post
Okay, I'm the OP. What I got out of his statements are that if I'm in a justifiable shooting and the bad guy is still able to still move and I've got my weapon at the ready or by some miracle the bad guy gives up, when the police show up there is a high probability of me getting shot. If this scenario does play out there is an attorney somewhere going to make him regret those comments.

I could also be completely wrong and this officer is Chicago's savior.
How are LE supposed to know if you're the good guy or not?


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
__________________
Quote:
Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain - and most fools do.

Benjamin Franklin
Quote:
Just being a federally "prohibited person" who owns guns and signatures about them on the internet should be enough to keep him paranoid."
Ohio Copper is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 18:02.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,299
359 Members
940 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31