What do you expect from a tool?
To be used up, then thrown away.
eyelikeglasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 22:46   #52
RagnarDanneskjold
Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Copper View Post
Just as I suspected, OP was disingenuous at best.

“You put more guns on the street expect more shootings,” McCarthy said. “I don’t care if they’re licensed legal firearms, people who are not highly trained… putting guns in their hands is a recipe for disaster. So I’ll train our officers that there is a concealed carry law, but when somebody turns with a firearm in their hand the officer does not have an obligation to wait to get shot to return fire and we’re going to have tragedies as a result of that. I’m telling you right up front.”

The first half is the typical anti gun nonsense. The second half is the meat and potatoes- I'd expect all of the LEOs I work with to use force if necessary, even against a CCW holder.

Shoot, have at it. Every state should be shall issue and most folks I've come into contact with the novelty wears off after a few weeks/months of having a permit.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Yeah, not being an idiot, when the PD rolls up I'm likely to drop my gun like it was burning my hand. That said, though, this guy's bias comes through loud and clear. He's not warning against this event, he's hoping for it! The guy hates the idea of armed citizens, and can only envision them being at odds with LEOs, he cannot imagine a world in which we might actually be on the same side. JMO.
Old 09-03-2013, 23:08   #53
eyelikeglasses
Hooah, Hooah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagnarDanneskjold View Post
Yeah, not being an idiot, when the PD rolls up I'm likely to drop my gun like it was burning my hand. That said, though, this guy's bias comes through loud and clear. He's not warning against this event, he's hoping for it! The guy hates the idea of armed citizens, and can only envision them being at odds with LEOs, he cannot imagine a world in which we might actually be on the same side. JMO.
Be careful pulling out that gun and dropping it, they might drop you!
eyelikeglasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 23:35   #54
CAcop

Quote:
Originally Posted by janice6 View Post
I doubt there is any way you could win that.
Only in his fantasies could he get away with it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app
I wonder if your assessment of "The Wizard of Oz" would sound something like "A teenaged orphan runs away with three psychotic AD/HD patients and a little dog. She kills the first two women she meets." --Sinecure 07/03/2006
Freakin' awsome!! Kickin it old school. Hot sheet on the dash. The report was probably only two sentences. Long live Rencko and Bobbie Hill!--WhiskeyT
CAcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 03:46   #55
Ragnar

Quote:
Originally Posted by volky View Post
What he said was, if you face a cop with a gun in your hand, you'll get shot. I would expect that to happen anywhere.
Really.

"So I’ll train our officers that there is a concealed carry law, but when somebody turns with a firearm in their hand the officer does not have an obligation to wait to get shot to return fire and we’re going to have tragedies as a result of that. "

Last edited by Ragnar; 09-04-2013 at 03:49..
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:04   #56
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Just as I suspected, OP was disingenuous at best.

“You put more guns on the street expect more shootings,” McCarthy said. “I don’t care if they’re licensed legal firearms, people who are not highly trained… putting guns in their hands is a recipe for disaster. So I’ll train our officers that there is a concealed carry law, but when somebody turns with a firearm in their hand the officer does not have an obligation to wait to get shot to return fire and we’re going to have tragedies as a result of that. I’m telling you right up front.”

The first half is the typical anti gun nonsense. The second half is the meat and potatoes- I'd expect all of the LEOs I work with to use force if necessary, even against a CCW holder.

Shoot, have at it. Every state should be shall issue and most folks I've come into contact with the novelty wears off after a few weeks/months of having a permit.

Thanks. I should have read it before commenting, rather than taking what the GT nuts said, at face value.

In my defense, it takes a long time for outside pages to open on my internet connection (here, I pay $90 a month for iinternet access that is so slow youtube videos won't play at all). So I don't always read the real article.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:05   #57
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
Really.

"So I’ll train our officers that there is a concealed carry law, but when somebody turns with a firearm in their hand the officer does not have an obligation to wait to get shot to return fire and we’re going to have tragedies as a result of that. "
Yes, really. That's the training every officer in every state gets. It is certainly the training I give them, in Kentucky, and we are about the most gun friendly state in the US.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:36   #58
Restless28

The outrage died with a whimper once reading comprehension stepped in.
Restless28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:38   #59
Ohio Copper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless28 View Post
The outrage died with a whimper once reading comprehension stepped in.
Gets the feeble minds enraged when they think cops are gunning CCW holders down...

Ohio Copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:41   #60
Restless28

Quote:
Gets the feeble minds enraged when they think cops are gunning CCW holders down...

I get this image in my mind sometimes of the angry mob in Frankenstein or Edward Scissorhands here.

Last edited by Restless28; 09-04-2013 at 04:42..
Restless28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:24   #61
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

They'll be back, on the next thread.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Copatalk 4

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

"A person who won't reason has no advantage over one who can't reason."

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”

Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn:
Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:44   #62
Roering
Sorting nuts

“You put more guns on the street expect more shootings”

Civil Liberties Issues
Old 09-04-2013, 11:18   #63
racerford

The title is inflammatory. However, so is what the police superintendent said. He could just as easily have said, with more cell phones on the streets more people will be shot by police. He clearly says that they sometimes shoot people reaching for cellphones. The reality is that in spite of the many "the streets will run with blood" warnings from police administrators over the years, it just hasn't happened. Now maybe he is correct, and the people and/or the police in Chicago are less competent than in the rest of the country and they will be shooting concealed carry lincense holders right and left, because the Chicago License holders will more likely to point their concealed weapons at the police than anywhere else in the country.

He clearly doesn't like the change in law, and does not want people to carry. He is saying this obvious point (point a gun at a police officer and you will get shot) to discourage concealed carry. Heck, he believes that if you point a cellphone at one of his officers, you could get shot too.
racerford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:20   #64
gommer

I guess I don't get the problem with what he said.

I don't LIKE the guy, don't like his general 'view' of things, but I also don't see that he said anything wrong.

So, he thinks there will be more shootings with more guns. Well, I'd guess that's possible. My hope is they would be more LEGAL self-defense shootings and less law-abiding-victims.

He also is concerned someone who is armed and defended themselves might find themselves in a meeting with the police, victim/self-defender turns unwittingly pointing their gun at the cop and gets shot ---- or worse is just shot by accident... also possible.

I didn't take from his statements that they would be shooting CCW holders like it's a new sport or even out of spite or given less consideration than anyone else... just being a drama queen.

Though, maybe not as much a drama-queen as some of those who are off-quoting him.

What do I know, though...
gommer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:12   #65
Jeff82
CLM Number 237
NRA Benefactor

Quote:
Originally Posted by volky View Post
What he said was, if you face a cop with a gun in your hand, you'll get shot. I would expect that to happen anywhere.
No, what he said was his cops are so ill-prepared for their jobs that he expects them to shoot unarmed people some of the time and that his cops will shoot even more innocent people who happen to be holding a gun.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." B. Franklin, 1787, outside Independence Hall

There's not "good" or "bad" muslims, only those true to their book and those that aren't, yet...
Jeff82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:27   #66
SevenSixtyTwo

It's called suicide by cop if you do it intentionally. If you do it unintentionally it's called stupid, tragic, unfortunate etc. Muzzle a cop in Florida and you'll likely get just as dead as if in Chicago. Don't muzzle me either for that matter. At 1240fps it doesn't give me much time to inquire of your intentions. He'll, don't muzzle anyone and you likely won't have an unfortunate reaction from the other end.
SevenSixtyTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:35   #67
IGotIt
No Demlibtards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff82 View Post
No, what he said was his cops are so ill-prepared for their jobs that he expects them to shoot unarmed people some of the time and that his cops will shoot even more innocent people who happen to be holding a gun.
Please indicate where he said that, especially about the unarmed people. Or maybe that's your interpretation of what you wanted him to say?

“You put more guns on the street expect more shootings,” McCarthy said. “I don’t care if they’re licensed legal firearms, people who are not highly trained… putting guns in their hands is a recipe for disaster. So I’ll train our officers that there is a concealed carry law, but when somebody turns with a firearm in their hand the officer does not have an obligation to wait to get shot to return fire and we’re going to have tragedies as a result of that. I’m telling you right up front.” -

Put yourself in these shoes; you decide to take some action against a guy who just robbed a liquor store and he turns to you with a gun in his hand. It's too late now to back out and go quietly away so what's your only option? Well there is three, hope he doesn't shoot you, hope he gives up, or you shoot him. Same thing an officer faces, only most won't wait to see if the first two options pan out.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:42   #68
mortpes

Cops will shoot anyone with a gun/weapon or looks or appears like they have a weapon or makes an offensive or defensive move or make a sound that that would indicate some such move. So expect this. Knowing this fact may save your life if you maintain high situational awareness and act accordingly. Many of the "innocent" cop shootings I have researched would have been prevented if the gun holder simply believed that they would be shot. Yes cops do shoot good guys often. We hear of this on a regular ongoing basis. Cops also die often so we really cannot fault them for being trigger happy.
mortpes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 13:02   #69
wingryder

It sounded to me like a veiled threat. "If yous guys wanna carry a concealed weapon, you may end up getting shot by the police." It was meant to intimidate the citizenry to think twice about arming themselves in public.. That's my take on it, though I would like to see a video of his statement... to catch the inference in his voice.

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." - Carl Sagan

Last edited by wingryder; 09-04-2013 at 13:02..
wingryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 13:16   #70
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

The exercise of bias and arrogance of ignorance are well displayed here.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Copatalk 4

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

"A person who won't reason has no advantage over one who can't reason."

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”

Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn:
Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 14:44   #71
Dubble-Tapper

extremely misleading title. shame on you OP.

i dont agree with what that officer said about gun violence, but i would expect to possibly get shot if i were handling my pistol in public.

if i did ever have to draw in public, id do my best to make sure dispatch had my description and if possible, be holstered by the time LEO got there.
Dubble-Tapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 15:17   #72
RagnarDanneskjold
Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGotIt View Post
Please indicate where he said that, especially about the unarmed people. Or maybe that's your interpretation of what you wanted him to say?

“You put more guns on the street expect more shootings,” McCarthy said. “I don’t care if they’re licensed legal firearms, people who are not highly trained… putting guns in their hands is a recipe for disaster. So I’ll train our officers that there is a concealed carry law, but when somebody turns with a firearm in their hand the officer does not have an obligation to wait to get shot to return fire and we’re going to have tragedies as a result of that. I’m telling you right up front.” -

Put yourself in these shoes; you decide to take some action against a guy who just robbed a liquor store and he turns to you with a gun in his hand. It's too late now to back out and go quietly away so what's your only option? Well there is three, hope he doesn't shoot you, hope he gives up, or you shoot him. Same thing an officer faces, only most won't wait to see if the first two options pan out.

You, and several others, only read the first half of the statement. Here's the second blurb, lower in the article.

Quote:
“You say concealed carry I say Trayvon Martin. Police officers make mistakes all the time,” McCarthy said. “We spend six months in the police academy, six months of field training and ongoing training on a regular basis and the fact is once in a while we’re going to shoot someone with a cellphone; we’re going to shoot somebody with a flashlight and none of that is okay. But now you take John Q. Civilian, you give them six weeks or 10 weeks of training and you say ‘have at it?’ The fact is more guns are not the solution to the firearm gun violence problem in this country. Less guns and reasonable gun laws are. And just because it’s 49 states to one doesn’t mean the state of Illinois is wrong on that one.” - See more at: http://gunsnfreedom.com/chicago-poli....fyycHH2K.dpuf
Can I get a retraction from some posters defending this ass-hat about my lack of reading comprehension and the dissipation of my outrage? Didn't answer immediately 'cause I had other stuff to do.

ETA: I agree the title of the thread was overly dramatic, most on GT are. But nobody I've seen posting on this thread sounded anti-LEO, just anti-this-idiot-politician.

Last edited by RagnarDanneskjold; 09-04-2013 at 15:20..
RagnarDanneskjold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 15:24   #73
RagnarDanneskjold
Pirate

Incidentally, I'm going out now, and will not be available for a few hours. Please do not interpret my absence as a dissipation of outrage.
Old 09-04-2013, 15:30   #74
happyguy
Na Ben Don Chat

Those tragic accidents happen around here all the time.

Typical scare tactics which is exactly the opposite of what is needed.

He's still a tool as far as I'm concerned.

Regards,
Happyguy

Last edited by happyguy; 09-04-2013 at 15:32..
happyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 15:33   #75
Peace Warrior
CLM Number 221
Am Yisrael Chai

"To serve, protect, shoot any ************ that is legally carrying a gun and then let the real criminals do their thang baby!"
"Nothing we're gonna do is going to fundamentally alter or eliminate the possibility of another mass shooting or guarantee that [our gun ban legislation] will bring gun deaths down..." - VPOTUS Joe Biden
"Love 'Em All!!! Let Jehovah sort 'em out." - The Holy Bible
"Well are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?" - Josey Wales
Peace Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote