Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-08-2013, 17:11   #201
professorpinki
Bumbling idjit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
I still see plenty of kids playing outside but yes, I realize we were at the very tail end of the generation that did it because there was no other option.
Except for books, television, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
For some reason this just came to mind,

The Okie Corral
For some reason this just came to mind,
The Okie Corral
professorpinki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 17:19   #202
Mrs.Cicero
Wayward Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel McBadass View Post
Its more that its brought up every time you try to do something inside, especially when i know they weren't always out there, and you never plyed a board game indoors or built forts out of random things inside?
Board games were for when someone was too sick to go outside, or for after dark, or when the temp was below 10 degrees. Forts indoors were the same. Why would I build a fort inside, if I could do it outdoors? We had a jungle gym in the backyard and would steal the old blankets out of the house and tie them to the top bars of the jungle gym and make giant hammocks that were imaginary submarines that krakens would attack. When that got boring, we'd break out the skateboards, bikes, and Big Wheels of every kid on the street (there were 2 dozen or so) and play "Lava Monster" - in which the oldest kids would be the monsters, and chase and throw nerf footballs at the rest of us while we ran around all the houses in the neighborhood and got across the streets by skateboarding, etc (you couldn't touch the concrete because it was "lava"). Once you got hit, you had to go sit on the porch. Last person left unhit won. Or we'd play kickball in the street, or rollerskate (no blades yet), or set up the Slip-n-slide on the hill in the backyard (no one had a pool, either), or build cities in the 12x12' sandbox also in the backyard (dad made concrete bird baths, so we always had a pile of sand). Then we'd destroy them with M-80s.

There wasn't anything to DO inside - only 5 channels of tv, most of which was boring as hell, no video games until Pong came out, no computers (much less internet) - there was no A/C which meant it was often hotter inside than out - and mom didn't want us inside anyway, and if we stayed, she'd find us something to clean.

And yes, I walked a mile to school (or rode my bike), and it was uphill both ways (because my house was halfway down one side of a big hill, and the school was in the valley on the other side). Only sick kids and snotty rich kids got driven to school.

These stories come out when people my age get sick and tired of listening to morbidly obese children complain about being bored while sitting on their butts indoors in air conditioned comfort texting everyone they know. They complain about what they should be grateful to have. Bunch of sissies.

"Oh bother," said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Mrs.Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 17:36   #203
Mrs.Cicero
Wayward Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Christmas break when I was in fourth grade, my two brothers (fifth grade and eighth grade) and my cousin (also eighth grade) set out to build a log cabin in the pine woods a mile or so from our house, in Spring, Texas. Our parents had no idea where we were or what we were doing. We were kids. We were out playing.

We took an axe and a saw, a hammer and whatever else we could find from my uncle's garage and we went after it. The cabin was about ten feet square and we made it with 4" to 6" pine trees we chopped down. We stripped the branches, cut them to size and notched the ends, just like we saw on TV. We had the thing just about ready for a roof, when some high school kids found my oldest brother working on it alone. They kicked his ass and tore it down. Just as well. I have no idea how we would have engineered a roof.

It was a poor, flimsy excuse for a log cabin, but we did it ourselves and we had a hell of a lot of fun doing it. How many kids today have adventures like that? Eric
We moved to the sticks in 2012... and my 10 year old spent two weeks this summer building a secret teepee style fort... there are no other families with children close by, and her older sister won't play with her, so she did it alone - and I have to admit when I finally got to see it, I was amazed - she can build my survival shelter anytime... she took a bunch of 6 foot long branches, and propped them against a tree in a half circle, stole some of my empty feedsacks and covered the branches, and then piled pine needles a foot deep over that. The entrance was only a foot high - she got in like a snake on her belly, but inside she could stand up.

"Oh bother," said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Mrs.Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 17:46   #204
RonS

Got our first TV when I was 8. The screen was round, dad got it when he quit the local PD and took a job repairing TVs. All summer long we played outside from dawn to dusk. Once we got bikes we were all over town but we usually played in our own quarter of town. We would ride out to the pool or up town to the five and dime. I was the bookwork in our crowd, my family went to the library every week and I took out the max of 8 books per week. I also built plastic models. Lots to do. I ran a paper route once I was old enough, nothing like riding a bike all over town 12 months a year to teach you respect for ice and snow. If it got below zero mom or dad would drive, otherwise rain or shine it was me and a Schwinn 3 speed with probably 50# of papers on the back for a couple of hours a day. Loved it. Got to meet cool people, made money to buy BBs and later pellets and CO2 and comic books and gun magazines.

I think the books I read in grade school and junior high formed my values almost as much as my family.
Old 09-08-2013, 18:14   #205
Nestor
Lean & Mean

I was blessed to see a communism in action as a kid. Born and live behind the iron curtain for 14 years of my life, till it crashed in 1989.
One TV channel with 15 minutes of cartoon movies at 19:00.
No toys, except for what...somehow, someone was able to find or build himself. My best toy ever was a toy SxS shotgun that my parents bought me for Christmas...I still don't know how they managed to find that. Soccer ball was like a real gold and we would kill for one.
We played games with rocks and tree branches.
Life was good, even though brutally simple by today's standards. So, yes...."back in the day" was different in my case.

R.I.P Jeff (23Skidoo), Chad (CJLandry) & Mark (Okie) You all will be missed.

Last edited by Nestor; 09-08-2013 at 18:15..
Nestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 18:22   #206
Bruce H

Being in a farming area we worked hard and we also played hard. Never had a BB gun until I bought one when I was in my late twenties. Dad started me with a single shot .22 and it went just about everywhere with me.

We hunted and fished a lot. Ice fishing and everything.

Never stayed in the house because mom would find all kind of chores. Some could be real interesting. Went to town to trade on Saturday. Walk around town picking up pop bottles that others had thrown away. Grocery store would buy them for 2 cents each. Go to the drug store for ice cream with the money.

Every two weeks the bookmobile would pull in the drive way. Take the books you had out and exchange them for new reading. Something that is sorely missed today.
Old 09-08-2013, 18:50   #207
nostalgiaguy

I am guilty of the "Back in the day" stories. I tell them with nostalgia of when I felt like I was doing something greater than myself. With my present health I pretty much am stuck on the porch anymore and rooting for the young lions who have taken my place.
nostalgiaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 19:40   #208
Indianashooter

This thread brings back some memories, let my tell you. Like a lot of others, I was outside a good part of most summer days. Occasionally my allergies would really act up so I would be stuck inside. I started to read books those days and that really stuck with me.

Did play outside in all types of weather, from 100 degrees to zero. Especially liked playing out when it was snowing. Great fun!
We lived just outside a small town in southern Michigan. Our back yard sloped downward to a very large wooded area. Use to roam those woods for hours and hours, surprising small animals and the occasional deer.
At age 10 or 12 I got a 10 speed and pedaled all over the damn place! Rode miles and miles and only had one accident!
After my parents divorced, my mom moved into town and I walked to high school. During truly horrible weather a friend who had a car would come over and pick me up.

During hunting season the same friend would more than likely have a shotgun/hunting gear in his trunk and we never had a SWAT team descend on our school.
My second job I did in fact walk about a mile to work after school or on the weekends and usually walk home. Cold wintery nights my mom would take pity on me and pick me up.
Indianashooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 20:15   #209
akgunnut

I was born in 1985 so I'm pretty much a 90s kid. I would catch Saturday morning cartoons and when I was in 4th and 5th grade I would watch Power Rangers after school. When I wasn't grounded I was outside playing with my friends and getting into trouble. We had video games of course, but we didn't have the online gaming of today. When I wanted to play a video game with a friend, I had to go over their house or had to ask my Mother if I could have a friend inside.

I rode the bus to and from school throughout most of my schooling years. This was with the exception of 4th grade when I started out walking to school then I switched schools and my Mom would take me because there was no available bus. I never once feared being kidnapped but I was a little fearful of running into a bully. I was a short and skinny little kid up until my sophomore year in high school. Overall I lived a pretty decent childhood and sometimes I even miss it. I was also moving to different neighborhoods and states every 2-3 years. I got to experience all kinds of different weather. I grew up with a working Dad and a stay at home Mom. I think that is something kids don't get a lot of anymore.

Last edited by akgunnut; 09-08-2013 at 20:17..
akgunnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 23:35   #210
Sohryu76

What most old timers don't tell you now. When they say they played outside all day... Is they now call the cops for playing outside in the street. In a parking lot. Or in a park owned by a church or a school. Or in a city park when it starts to get dark.

These calls I get from see people.
Sohryu76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:25   #211
jdavionic
NRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohryu76 View Post
Huh? Who are "see people"?

"No matter how bad it gets, if you're still alive it's just another bad day."
jdavionic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:35   #212
mrt949

Minimun wage was $ 1.00 .
When I Started Working .

Last edited by mrt949; 09-09-2013 at 06:36..
mrt949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 22:24   #213
GWG19

Anybody born after 1975 has had a greatly increased TV viewing choice. We had ABC, CBS and NBC as a kid.
Anybody who is around 25 to 27 years old has known Cable TV, Cell Phones and the PC their whole life.
Yes as my Dad pointed out to my I did walk up hill to school both ways in the snow. The school was 1 mile away, with 1/2 mile of hill up and down in the middle. Lived in Michigan in the mid 70's, a lot of snow then in the UP. I did walk by choice, me and my friends had a blast walking to school.
- If you’re not moving, you’re dead.
GWG19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 23:51   #214
TreverSlyFox

Y'all a bunch of pantywaists.

We didn't have no TV or Radio, we RAN to school up hill, both ways, cause if you didn't, the Dinosaurs ATE YOU! We didn't have books, we had a stack of stone tablets that weighed 5 lbs EACH. And when you wasn't in school you was hunting for food and if you didn't find any you went hungry that day. We didn't have no Lighters or matches and if the fire went out you had to wait until lighting hit a tree so you could relight yours. Didn't have no Designer Clothing either, we wore animal skins and they STUNK cause we didn't know how to tan leather yet.

Bunch of spoon fed sissies!
Old 09-10-2013, 18:47   #215
manonmars
Spaced Out

Too many memories from this thread, but..

I grew up in Stockton, CA.
I'd walk home alone at 9PM when the pool closed.

I had a paper route, and had one of those Schwinns with the springer front end and a rack on the back.

I bet I put a billion miles on that bike.

Curfew was 9, or 10, 0r 11 (during the summer), whenever Mom wanted to put up with us again, but we had to be within hearing distance of the cow bell, otherwise she got mad, and might ground me for a day.

NOW, Stockton is listed as one of the worst cities in the USA.

Thanks for the memories everyone!
Old 09-13-2013, 03:24   #216
Peace Warrior
CLM Number 221
Am Yisrael Chai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Christmas break when I was in fourth grade, my two brothers (fifth grade and eighth grade) and my cousin (also eighth grade) set out to build a log cabin in the pine woods a mile or so from our house, in Spring, Texas. Our parents had no idea where we were or what we were doing. We were kids. We were out playing.

We took an axe and a saw, a hammer and whatever else we could find from my uncle's garage and we went after it. The cabin was about ten feet square and we made it with 4" to 6" pine trees we chopped down. We stripped the branches, cut them to size and notched the ends, just like we saw on TV. We had the thing just about ready for a roof, when some high school kids found my oldest brother working on it alone. They kicked his ass and tore it down. Just as well. I have no idea how we would have engineered a roof.

It was a poor, flimsy excuse for a log cabin, but we did it ourselves and we had a hell of a lot of fun doing it. How many kids today have adventures like that? Eric
DUDE! The memories...

We set out to build a log cabin once... long story short: the pines we had around were no more than 6 or so inches in diameter. We had maybe a dozen or so chopped down when we were all exhausted for the day and abandoned the idea of a log cabin like the TV show Daniel Boone had.

The next day we decided to use the pine trees we cut down the day before as "roof supports" for a bunker. We cut a huge dugout into the backside (i.e., opposite the creek side) of a built up, storm water run off creek bank. Think of a levy, but not formally so.

We modified and kept working on/supplying that "fort" until a fire came through the woods and the equipment used by the firefighters to cut fire lines in the woods ran over and destroyed it.

Had my first ever beer in that "fort."
"Nothing we're gonna do is going to fundamentally alter or eliminate the possibility of another mass shooting or guarantee that [our gun ban legislation] will bring gun deaths down..." - VPOTUS Joe Biden
"Love 'Em All!!! Let Jehovah sort 'em out." - The Holy Bible
"You gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?" - Josey Wales
Peace Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 03:26   #217
Peace Warrior
CLM Number 221
Am Yisrael Chai

Did anyone's older sibling ever tell them that drinking a lot of milk would keep your skin from itching after being out at night?

I must have thrown up 5 or 6 times before I figured that one out.
"Nothing we're gonna do is going to fundamentally alter or eliminate the possibility of another mass shooting or guarantee that [our gun ban legislation] will bring gun deaths down..." - VPOTUS Joe Biden
"Love 'Em All!!! Let Jehovah sort 'em out." - The Holy Bible
"You gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?" - Josey Wales
Peace Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:26   #218
mike0262p
Spider

Yes, back in the day' we did play outside, I'll be 62 next month, and I can relate with all the other more mature and wiser people here. It brings back a lot of great memories, back when life was simple, and it felt like there wasn't a care in the world. I remember when my dad bought the family's first tv, it was sometime in the 50's, the tv was huge and I mean huge. Probably stood 3 maybe 3 1/2 feet tall, about 3' wide, maybe 2' deep, the screen was maybe 6"X5". Think back and am truly amazed at the technology and also wonder where did the time go. Life is short, enjoy it when you can.
mike0262p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:39   #219
Jim in MI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohryu76 View Post
What most old timers don't tell you now. When they say they played outside all day... Is they now call the cops for playing outside in the street. In a parking lot. Or in a park owned by a church or a school. Or in a city park when it starts to get dark.

I take great offense to all the "no skateboards, bikes, and rollerblades" signs posted everywhere.

I guess they just want kids to sit on the porch and drink out of brown paper bags all day.

Last edited by Jim in MI; 09-14-2013 at 07:39..
Jim in MI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:48   #220
Hef
Stop Obammunism

When I was a kid there was no Internet, no "calls beeping in", and the phone hung on the wall in the kitchen. Fuel injection was for rich people, and you were doing well for yourself if you had air conditioning. We only had one enemy - the Soviet Union - and terrorism was a small issue, and was mostly directed at Israel.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:17   #221
Kevin108
HADOKEN!

The guys at work try to give me that **** sometimes. Talking with a guy in his early 50s and me in my early 30s, more of our lives have overlapped than not.

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a
little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
_____- Ben Franklin
Kevin108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 09:06   #222
kimo

Kevin108, please inform us on an experiential level of those 20 years where your lives do not overlap.

Maybe there is something that we've experienced that is different from your brief life?
From all that terror teaches, From lies of tongue & pen, From all the easy speeches That comfort cruel men. From sale & profanation Of honor and of sword,From sleep and from damnation, Deliver us, Good Lord.
GK Chesterton
kimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:08   #223
ditto1958

Gee whiz, Kevin, did we wake up on the wrong side of the bed today?

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
ditto1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 17:39   #224
MooseJaw
CLM Number 37
NRA Lifer

The world is smaller than it used to be.. and the people are worse.
MooseJaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 20:44   #225
Kevin108
HADOKEN!

Both sides of the bed are wrong? lol

Just because you've had more time on earth than someone else doesn't mean you've done anything useful with it. There's a lot of guys out there with major portions of their lives invested in watching TV shows and ball games. Then there's younger guys who've written things, built things, gone places, and done...stuff.

“Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by every moment that takes your breath away.”

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a
little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
_____- Ben Franklin
Kevin108 is offline   Reply With Quote