Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-05-2013, 20:40   #176
Jack Ryan
Get off my lawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
Ah....the note!

In the 80's I would ride to the store on my bike at 8-11 years old, armed with a note to buy Grandma (OBM) a carton of smokes.

Yep. It worked that way.
We had notes sometimes but all it really was is a list so you don't forget.

1/2 gal milk
pound hamburger
carton Marlborough
loaf of bread
1/2 pound bologna

Carry that home a half mile from the neighborhood store in a paper sack on a Schwinn stingray.
Jack Ryan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 21:13   #177
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingsoftpaw View Post
Do you realize that we are the last generation that played outside?
I still see plenty of kids playing outside but yes, I realize we were at the very tail end of the generation that did it because there was no other option.

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

I cross my heart and hope not to die. Swallow evil, ride the sky. Lose myself in a crowded room. You fool, you fool, it will be here soon
Rabbi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 21:14   #178
countrygun

For some reason this just came to mind,

The Okie Corral
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 21:23   #179
Diesel McBadass
Tactically Epic

Hearing about walking to school every day makes me grateful for my old RAV4, even if it was maroon and the opposite of manly.
Old 09-05-2013, 23:30   #180
BlayGlock

Just tell them that you are hopped up on Mountain Dew and will come at them like a spider monkey.

http://www.1911addicts.com
BlayGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 23:52   #181
Snaps
Hail 2 The King

12 miles to school. Up hill both ways, 112 degrees and 4 feet of snow
Old 09-06-2013, 05:26   #182
DustyJacket
Gold Membership
Directiv 10-289

Back in my day, we did not have these Interwebs where you can insult people with anonymity.

You had to say it to their face - and if you were an ass you risked getting hit.

And yes, we played in rain and snow. I remember coming in, soaked and freezing, and plopping into a hot bath to bring various body parts back to life.

(neener, neener)

Last edited by DustyJacket; 09-06-2013 at 05:27..
DustyJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 06:31   #183
Lady Glock

Send a message via ICQ to Lady Glock
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyJacket View Post
Back in my day, we did not have these Interwebs where you can insult people with anonymity.

You had to say it to their face - and if you were an ass you risked getting hit.

And yes, we played in rain and snow. I remember coming in, soaked and freezing, and plopping into a hot bath to bring various body parts back to life.

(neener, neener)
THAT STINGS!!! I remember that too...oh man did that sting! Coming home from shoveling after counting the money I made jumping in the tub. After you get your body warmed up, the hot water felt good...but until then...OUCH!

Trust in God...Everyone else keep your hands where I can see them!
Lady Glock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:23   #184
jdavionic
NRA Member

I just don't view it as nonsense. We watched some TV shows, but not a lot. Heck, we only had 3 channels. I don't think we got cable until I was a Sr. in HS.

When we were younger, we played outside probably 90% of the time. 'Good guys/bad guys', 'cowboys/indians', etc. When we were inside, we played with matchbox cars and army men.

I grew up in S FL, so rain...yea, what about it. You could set your watch by the afternoon storms. We often got yelled at for playing outside when it was lightning. In middle school, we road bikes to school. We road our bikes everywhere.

Back in my day, we had DDT trucks that would go around spraying a huge fog for mosquitos. I'm guessing we shouldn't have run behind those trucks

Everyone that I knew played baseball. When we weren't involved in that, we played stickball at the park or football on the street or across several yards. Football in the yards usually evolved to 'pig piles', kill the man with the ball, etc.

If we got our hands on fireworks, we'd be outside until we ran out. When we were old enough, some of us got into shooting too. Back then, S FL had many areas that weren't developed and were pretty rural. We'd go out and shoot all sorts of stuff.

Then there was fishing and hunting. We did quite a bit of fishing. I spent quite a bit of time in the Everglades.

Point being, we were extremely active. It wasn't a conscious effort to be "active". It was just a way of life. Our generation had it's share of challenges too. Drugs in S FL were readily available. However I played a lot of sports and my friends didn't get into that stuff.

We didn't have the internet or cell phones. We had 1 phone in the house...right in the middle of the kitchen. If you spoke on the phone, everyone heard what you were saying.

Today, younger people have different challenges. Tons of cable channels that are filled with shows that would have never made it on our one TV in the living room. Internet and cell phones that have both taken communication to levels we didn't dream of when I was a kid. As a result, kids are exposed to things at an early age and have to deal with challenges that we didn't deal with when I was a kid.

Aside from the social challenges that this info age introduces, you've also got health-related challenges. We just didn't have a lot of obese kids when I grew up. Heck, I can only remember one fat kid. And as much as it offends some younger folks today, it's just true...we were more active as kids 40 yrs ago then kids are today...in general. The caveat is important to note. My kids were both competitive gymnasts. They trained in the gym more than I did as a kid. They hardly watched TV. Today, my oldest is in college. She still works out every day. My youngest is in HS and now competes in other sports and works as a gymnastics coach. She still doesn't hardly watch TV.

So when you discuss the topic in generalities, I don't think it's nonsense. In the end though, there are exceptions. As folks today get older and have kids of their own, they'll be faced with all sorts of challenges that are unique to their own generation. However just because there's internet, cell phones, and 6000 cable channels, it doesn't mean that there are not other, better options for the kids.

"No matter how bad it gets, if you're still alive it's just another bad day."

Last edited by jdavionic; 09-06-2013 at 07:26..
jdavionic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:36   #185
MrGlock21
NRA Instructor

"Back in my day" we played down by the river and on weekends when the machines stood still at the dredging lake. Nobody fussed about trespassing.

Where I grew up, the sale of TV sets (affordable for low income folks) was a little 'behind'. My dad bought one in the mid seventies, black and white, two channels. At that time I was already into tennis, biking and clumsily chasing girls, real girls, not the ones on a monitor screen.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:01   #186
LippCJ7

I really don't care if the younger crowd doesn't like the reference to back in my days, we had fun!

I worked from 14 years old to buy my first car, my kids didn't do that, but I'm not sure I want my kids riding their bikes or walking at 10 PM.

I rode my bicycle over two miles to elementary school, screw the bus, busses suck, but growing up in AZ who cares yeah it rained once or twice a year so what...

Once we moved to Colorado, I learned about snow, and football is made to be played in 10"s of snow or more.

Yeah, I played Hockey, In AZ, and Football and baseball in Colorado, get over it, I'm weird, I was good at everything I did, I may have not been good from the start but I worked to get there.

We towed a big tractor tube with a snatch strap around it behind a boat and our parents tried to kill us, nowadays I buy a $300 "Inflatable" and anything outside of the wake is CHILD ABUSE.

My kids learned never challenge Dad, he can do it, everything, he will go 200 miles out of his way or stop in the middle of the interstate to prove it.
Freaking kids today are wussies, but I think they have promise, time will tell.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:03   #187
fx77
CLM Number 232
Charter Lifetime Member

Hell yeah. Played outside all day
Built forts, shoveled snow from the basketball court to play in winter, played hockey on the ponds that froze...no equip except sticks and skates...
TV ..only had 7 channels...three majors ,,,the shows were only on in the evening that we watched....
fx77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:34   #188
mrt949

We had a coal furnace .
Rabbit ears on the television .
Test patterns on television.
AM radio.
ICE BOX Fridge .
Natural gas fridge.
Fresh fruits and vegies.
Black & white movies on Saturday for a DIME with popcorn and pop .
Street cars ( trollies)
THOSE WERE THE GOODOLD DAYS.

Last edited by mrt949; 09-07-2013 at 11:10..
mrt949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 04:22   #189
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

We all played outside all the time, even when it got dark, and sometimes in the dark. I got stopped by cops many times as a kid because I was out riding my bike or playing at night. It happens. Things were different back then. We weren't holed up inside all day and night and the freaks weren't so numerous that we were having people abducted and killed every week like we do now. Not much rain in L.A. and it doesn't get that cold so we can be out most of the year.

The worst gangs basically would shoot a bb at you and run away laughing or beat you up with fists in a park. That's about it for them and for a shooting to happen, it was some serious gang stuff that only happened in certain venues where they hung out.

Life was more simple and innocent back then. We had 3 channels to choose from. CBS-2, NBC-4, and ABC-7. Then the local channels like KTLA-5 and KTTV-9 and KFOX-11 and KCOP-13 showed up eventually with their own stuff, usually reruns from the big 3. I think SelecTV showed up in the mid-80's with some movies along with another cable provider but you had to use those big set boxes they gave you. I remember trying to watch the scrambled channels to make out a boob or something as a kid. All of us did that.

VHS was a big deal and the rich families were able to eventually afford a dedicated rewinder for their tapes too. Little 13" TV was wheeled around on a rolling coffee table and that was the family set. We were lucky to buy a 19" so we were definitely spoiled. Got my first CD player when I was 15 and only had 1 CD. I had a super high tech tape deck with auto reverse and Dolby B and C. Sony "Metal" cassette tapes were the highest in fidelity for copying deck to deck.

Saturday mornings were the big cartoon mornings which ran until maybe 11am and then ABC's Wide World of Sports came on. Electric Company battled Sesame Street. Conjunction Junction and I'm Just A Bill were stuck in your head all day. Sundays had some cartoons but not as much as Saturday. Weekdays the cartoons ran from 2pm to 5pm and then the news came on or some other sitcom. TJ Hooker, A-Team, Knight Rider, Airwolf, Remington Steele, Hunter, were the shows I grew up on.

Most families still only had 1 car and there were bowling alleys, laundromats, bookstores, sawdust BBQ joints, etc. in my city. Now you wouldn't even recognize it as the same city that I grew up in.

Last edited by lawman800; 09-08-2013 at 04:33..
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 04:40   #190
soflasmg

Yeah, we played outside all day every day when not in school like men.

Not like you effeminate, diaper wearing, spankin' it to Modern Warfare or whatever other masturbatory fantasy games you degenerates play.

Is that what you had in mind?
soflasmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:40   #191
clancy

I miss the good old days. If I had $5 on a Saturday night I had it made. I could get 2 six packs of beer(the local supermarket ran a sale every week, .89 a six pack) and a half tank of gas(32.9 a gallon) and me and my buds would drive around all night. A glass of beer was 15 cents at the local bars, and a shot of whiskey was 40 cents. If you got stopped by the cops, they would just tell you to go home, and often followed us home to make sure we did so. Now $5 won't even get you a bottle of beer in most places, and you run the risk of severe consequences if you have only 2 or 3. I tell young guys stories of what we used to do back then, and they just don't believe me.

You could have a rifle or shotgun on the gunrack of your pick-up, and not have the local cops treat you like a terrorist. There is no way I would want to be a young man in this country, and am truly worried about just how much worse it will be when my 12 year old son turns 21.
clancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:45   #192
clancy

Another things that has come to mind. When I first got my CCW, way back in 1978, my father told me that if I felt I needed to take a gun with me when I went some place, I don't need to go there. Times have changed. You can't even go to the local Walmart without being armed. And I wouldn't go there after dark, even with my pistol.
clancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:01   #193
WayneJessie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel McBadass View Post
Yes being a younger guy older people always tell me how my stuff is bad and what they used to do, and it seems like there looking back through a filter.

I always love the "we weren't playing video games we were outside every day all the time." Then i bring up what they did during downpours, blizzards, ice storms and other greatest hits of the northeast's bipolar weather, they say they still went out. Then I ask them their favorite T.V. shows were and they name a million, so obviously they were inside watching tv not playing outside.

Or the we walked everywhere uphill both ways nosnsense. Busses existed if you lived in a city.

Whats your favorite things you were told.?
We didn't play video games and we were outside and we worked hard. Things have gotten bad. The average white kid is lazy, spoiled, and completely unmotivated to excel at anything. They have no idea how close their country is to being lost nor do they care as long as they have their stupid phone. They've had parents that have given them everything their little hearts whine for and it shows. That's why more and more of them are still camping out with mommy into their 20s. Dad was hard as a brick but he made men out of all of us. I worked a full time job, was married with one child the whole time I carried a full course load in college. Now, you can't pay their way and get them to pass. They pee&moan cause Mc Donald's won't pay them $15 because they're too lazy to learn a trade. Did I have it hard? Nope. When my dad was 17 he was fighting for his very life in the S. Pacific against the Imperial Navy of Japan. I had opportunity because he had it hard. Your comments indicate how very spoiled you are. Give it another ten years and you'll be digging ditches for the Mexicans instead of it being the other way around.
Old 09-08-2013, 12:27   #194
DukeNukem

All one has to do is look at news stories whenever some "extreme" weather is going on. How do you work outside when it's 90, -20, snow, ice, blah blah blah. I think for a lot of people they can't function out of their climate controlled environs. I'm not that old, we didn't have cable growing up, we weren't allowed in the house most of the day during summer break, we didn't have any of the game systems. Snow days were spent sledding or playing outside in the woods after the driveway was cleaned. I work outdoors now and enjoy being outside in my freetime, fishing, camping, hunting, hiking, whatever. I've done all of those things when it's cold and rainy out too, but I find I have less tolerance for it as I get older. I do have pc games and a bajillion tv channels, although I don't have a lot of time for gaming.
DukeNukem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:40   #195
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingsoftpaw View Post
Do you realize that we are the last generation that played outside?
Yeah, because the Army of the 12 Monkees is going to send us underground. Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyJacket View Post

(neener, neener)
Lemme go find that Monty Python clip. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt949 View Post
We had a coal furnace .
Rabbit ears on the television .
Test patterns on television.
AM radio.
ICE BOX Fridge .
Natural gas fridge.
Fresh fruits and vegies.
Black & white movies on Saturday for a DIME with popcorn and pop .
Street cars ( trollies)
THOSE WERE THE GOODOLD DAYS.
Fresh fruit?

My folks seemed to grow up n canned stuff. There is more fresh fruit and veggies in the store today than 50 years ago.

Last edited by Dennis in MA; 09-08-2013 at 12:44..
Dennis in MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:52   #196
Eric
Big Giant Head

Christmas break when I was in fourth grade, my two brothers (fifth grade and eighth grade) and my cousin (also eighth grade) set out to build a log cabin in the pine woods a mile or so from our house, in Spring, Texas. Our parents had no idea where we were or what we were doing. We were kids. We were out playing.

We took an axe and a saw, a hammer and whatever else we could find from my uncle's garage and we went after it. The cabin was about ten feet square and we made it with 4" to 6" pine trees we chopped down. We stripped the branches, cut them to size and notched the ends, just like we saw on TV. We had the thing just about ready for a roof, when some high school kids found my oldest brother working on it alone. They kicked his ass and tore it down. Just as well. I have no idea how we would have engineered a roof.

It was a poor, flimsy excuse for a log cabin, but we did it ourselves and we had a hell of a lot of fun doing it. How many kids today have adventures like that? Eric
- Roger Hodgson
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 13:30   #197
1955mercury

We played outside because there was no air conditioning and it was too darn hot to stay inside.
1955mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 13:47   #198
bmoore

My prime as a kid was about 1987 to 1995 when I started high school. We were outside everyday, football, wiffle ball, war, cops and robbers, hide and seek, skateboards, bikes, BB guns.............you name it. I also was blessed to grow up on a great cul de sac of about 10 homes with kids all my and my sisters age. That was some fun times.
Old 09-08-2013, 14:46   #199
mac66
Plant the seed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtull7 View Post
I also read the entire World Book Encyclopedia, but I was in the 7th grade.

There is an excellent little book called: Where Did You Go? Out. What Did You Do? Nothing. It was written in 1957. It is still availiable on Amazon. It is mainly about what kids did and made by themselves outside. Very cool.

We did not watch TV at all, except for Saturday morning. Fury, Circus Boy, Sky King and the like. I was in college before my parents got a color TV.

A vacant lot was our paradise. Forts were built and clod fights were held. Since I grew up in West Texas, our vacant lots did not have trees. Our forts started with a hole in the ground that we dug.
Pretty much this ^ though I grew up in the upper midwest.

the encyclopedia was the internet of the day. Standard answer to any question in my house was "go look it up".

Yup, vacant lots, dirt forts and dirt ball fights. We did have trees so we also had tree forts. We played "army" a lot.

No buses in our city so walking to school was mandatory.

We had 4 B&W TV channels. CBS, NBC, ABC and a Canadian channel (CBC). No PBS or UHF back then
Old 09-08-2013, 16:41   #200
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

I read the entire World Book Encyclopedia set at age 9 when my mom bought me a set. Read every single supplement and yearly review they sent too. Read the whole set over and over until around 1983. I can still remember some of the pictures and some of the topics in my mind because I read them so much, including strategic versus tactical use of aircraft in war and how light works. I recently found one of the books in the garage... awesome find. Memories of a bygone era.

I had my videogames growing up, including the Atari 2600, 5200, Intellivision (with voice), Atari 400 computer, Commodore 64, etc. The last 2 were computers but used mostly for games and the occasional word processing for papers. But I didn't spend all day in front of them and rather play outside with friends when we can because it was more fun. I don't think youngsters now can grasp the concept of having fun with your friends outside as being more fun than sitting at your respective computer stations playing online games against each other from miles away.

My dad had fresh milk delivered every morning from Adohr Farms. The milk man came by and dropped off those little glass jugs in the metal holder. Going to the movies was an all day event. I'd go with friends for the noon show and go home by 6pm after watching 3 movies. Nobody cared in the theaters and we just roamed around watching movies, or sometimes, just watching the same movie 3x in a row like we did with the Return of the Jedi.

People brought food and even smoked in the theaters while the movie was playing. People smoked on the plane, there were ashtrays in the armrests. Then they started with the smoking section in the back of the plane. Then banned altogether. I was sent regularly to buy cigarettes for my dad when I was 13. The guy at the store was like... I can't sell these to you unless you say it's for your dad. I was like... they are for my dad. He says okay go ahead. I also got to light them for my dad. He'll tell me to light one on the stove for him because he didn't have his lighter handy. I would take one out of the pack and walk to the kitchen, light up the range, puff it til it was lit, and then hand it to him. Nowadays that stuff would land him in jail and me in a foster home. That's when they also ran all of those public service announcements on TV to not smoke in bed because it will cause house fires. Remember those?
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote