Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-04-2013, 20:06   #151
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Back in my days we had to convince chicks with lies and cheap booze. Nowadays the youngsters just out and drug them with RoHypno.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 09-04-2013, 20:42   #152
Sinister Paige

Not only were the bears I had to fight considerably bigger than the ones today, the hill was at a much steeper incline.

If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom.
Dwight D Eisenhower
Sinister Paige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 22:01   #153
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
Back in my days we had to convince chicks with lies and cheap booze. Nowadays the youngsters just out and drug them with RoHypno.

Only if the rag doesn't smell funny enough.
I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, s**t-kickers, Methodists, and the GTDS.
Angry Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 23:11   #154
MtBaldy
Obie Wan, RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
Back in my days we had to convince chicks with lies and cheap booze. ]
Really? I was always told cocaine works wonders on co-eds. Not that I would know first hand of course...
Old 09-05-2013, 02:14   #155
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtBaldy View Post
Really? I was always told cocaine works wonders on co-eds. Not that I would know first hand of course...
I couldn't afford nose candy back then.

Old 09-05-2013, 02:22   #156
Jim in MI

My wife has made some play dates for our oldest, and it seems odd to me.....

I'm 44 and when I was a kid we had pick up baseball games that were 9 vs 9, and no phone calls were made to set these up.

We played full contact tackle football with no pads or helmets.

We played kickball before school and at recess, and basketball in the driveway after school.

Sometimes you would see a gang of kids with shovels descend on a vacant lot and a BMX track with jumps, berms, and whoop de dos would appear.

We built forts and tree houses in the woods, and never asked the owner of the woods if we could claim his property as our own.

My dad would hand me a $20 and I rode my bike to the gas station for a carton of smokes.

I never applied sunscreen before the age of 21, and was outside from sunrise to sunset.

Mom would say "you have a doctor/dentist/eye doctor appointment after school, walk there and then walk home" and you went to the doc's by yourself.

"Home" was where mom was, and that was a bad place to be; she would give you BS chores to do. Best to leave until your stomach said it was time to venture home. I do remember watching it rain from the garage on several occasions; my BMX bike seemed to get taken apart and greased when it rained.

My friends did get Atari in high school; the novelty wore off in less than a year, as girls became interesting at that point, and you had sports practice after school, then homework, then sleep. There was no time to play video games at a friend's house.

Parents did not let you watch "your show" if "their show" was on at the same time. I do remember being inside to see Gilligan's Island and Brady Bunch reruns after school, maybe the baseball field was flooded that day. My dad liked Black Sheep Squadron, and let me watch it.

Last edited by Jim in MI; 09-05-2013 at 02:27..
Jim in MI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:55   #157
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanSBHF View Post
"Come on, we need to get new school clothes for you" were the worst 11 words you could hear back in 2nd grade.
I can still picture being stuck in a department store with mom while she picked out school clothes for me. The time was moving backwards. Just wanted to get out in the fresh air. The horror!

Old 09-05-2013, 09:58   #158
NOLA_glock
quietly judges.

The Okie Corral

ಠ_ಠ
NOLA_glock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:38   #159
ditto1958

Pickup games? We played 9 on 9 baseball and 11 on 11 tackle football pickup games. All organized with no adults involved.

Play dates? If any parent in our neighborhood had ever tried that, "lead balloon" would not even have begun to describe the reception that would have gotten.

ditto1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:33   #160
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in MI View Post
My dad would hand me a $20 and I rode my bike to the gas station for a carton of smokes.
Aaaaand, no. Smokes were $1 a pack in MA as late as the 80's. Maybe he handed you a Fiver.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:59   #161
Magnus2131
Glock Gimp

Heck I was still walking to school every day even in High School. I had jobs but never saved enough for car, insurance, etc. No way would my mother buy a car for one of us, we were poor as dirt anyway.
We spent most of our times outdoors as kids. No way would we stick around the house because Mom would find chores for us to do. We were all over town, either on foot or our bikes. Every day was an adventure and we never ran out of things to do. We would play baseball, football, catch snakes and all other kinds of creatures we could find. There was kick the can when it started getting dark. We worked forever on our three story tree house. There was never enough time in the day. We never had air conditioners. We had a water cooler and when it got really hot, instead of laying in our beds, all six of us were laying on the floor in front of the water cooler. In the winter we would build snow forts. When we got really bored, we would climb the buildings on Main street and throw snowballs from there. We would try and sneak in and try to watch some TV whenever we were allowed. Most times Mom would interrupt our viewing and have some kind of chore to do. We only had 2 or 3 channels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Wolfe View Post
And then gone and stuffed the gun up the ass of the Hajji bastard that shot me!
"RIP Jeff (23Skidoo)" and our Silent_Runner. 129,520
Magnus2131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:39   #162
JuneyBooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel McBadass View Post
Yes being a younger guy older people always tell me how my stuff is bad and what they used to do, and it seems like there looking back through a filter.

I always love the "we weren't playing video games we were outside every day all the time." Then i bring up what they did during downpours, blizzards, ice storms and other greatest hits of the northeast's bipolar weather, they say they still went out. Then I ask them their favorite T.V. shows were and they name a million, so obviously they were inside watching tv not playing outside.

Or the we walked everywhere uphill both ways nosnsense. Busses existed if you lived in a city.

Whats your favorite things you were told.?
Things were better back in the old days..like the 80's before cell phones. Can you even imagine life without a cell phone.. I wonder how people made it. The 80's were awesome...hot women...cool cars and cool hair..now everyone looks the same and political correctness has destroyed America. But what age group are you talking? I remember the slender females that were awesome.

Last edited by JuneyBooney; 09-05-2013 at 12:43..
JuneyBooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 13:40   #163
Lady Glock

Send a message via ICQ to Lady Glock
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTop View Post
Ditto what Rabbi said. Sure we watched TV but there really wasn't a big choice. All I remember was the A-Team and Dukes of Hazzard on Friday nights during the middle 80's. And, of course, Dallas. (Early teens for me).

We were always outside, and had to be home when the street light came on.
I had to be within ear shot when the street lights came on, but didn't have to come in for the night until mom yelled it was time. We stayed out playing hide and seek, kick the can, just chattin with the neighbor kids...rarely inside but a few hours a day. During bad weather we either played in it or waited for it to be over usually standing under a car port or a tree. Snow was ALWAYS an exciting thing for me because I would go shovel for my neighbors and make over a hundred dollars a day!

Trust in God...Everyone else keep your hands where I can see them!
Lady Glock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 13:42   #164
G36's Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis in MA View Post
Aaaaand, no. Smokes were $1 a pack in MA as late as the 80's. Maybe he handed you a Fiver.
Cigs were 30-40 cents a pack through the 70's and I routinely bought them as a 11-13 year old for adults. Couldn't stand them myself.

Last edited by G36's Rule; 09-05-2013 at 13:45..
G36's Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 13:59   #165
PocketProtector

Back in the day, we didn't wake up every morning wondering what the POtuS was gonna wreck next.
Old 09-05-2013, 14:18   #166
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketProtector View Post
Back in the day, we didn't wake up every morning wondering what the POtuS was gonna wreck next.
You obviously did not grow up during the Carter years.
CavDoc: "If you have to pretend that a person with a different opinion has an opinion other than his own in order to score points in an argument, you've forfeited any points that you pretended to have."
CavDoc: "You consider yourself as non-religious, and I consider you a religious zealot."

JBnTX: "Freedom of religion doesn't mean you can worship any God, anyway you see fit or not even worship any God if you so choose. [...] Christianity should be the only religion protected under the constitution, and congress shall make no law restricting its practice."
Geko45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 17:00   #167
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis in MA View Post
Yup. I remember those days. A note, some money, and orders to get a 12 pack and 2 packs of smokes.
I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, s**t-kickers, Methodists, and the GTDS.
Angry Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 17:12   #168
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry Fist View Post
Yup. I remember those days. A note, some money, and orders to get a 12 pack and 2 packs of smokes.
Ah....the note!

In the 80's I would ride to the store on my bike at 8-11 years old, armed with a note to buy Grandma (OBM) a carton of smokes.

Yep. It worked that way.

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

I cross my heart and hope not to die. Swallow evil, ride the sky. Lose myself in a crowded room. You fool, you fool, it will be here soon
Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 17:44   #169
Spiffums
I.C.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
It is true though, as a kid (and I am under 40) we played outside all day most everyday. If it rained, we waited for it to stop (often in the garage) or played in the rain. (no winter storms where I grew up)

Sure we watched TV, all 5 channels...the Bozo show before school and whatever our parents had on at night along with Saturday morning cartoons.
So you too still hear "Go play outside" in your sleep? I swear Mom used to say that before we were outta bed in the morning....of course that was when we didn't have work in the field to do.
Old 09-05-2013, 18:44   #170
Gray_Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by rauldduke1979 View Post
Could be. Probably
But no no, I never played video games, I wrestled saber tooth tigers and fought in Civil War, unlike these dang kids today, dagnabit.
So many, many memories. And yes, I fought the Civil War and skinned a few saber tooths while walking to school three miles one way (uphill both ways) muhself.

I can show you part of the old oil well road I traveled during my 6th grade year. Three miles to Rocky Grove Ele. from my home along Rt 8, between Franklin and Oil City, Venango Co. Pa.

Gray_Rider
Old 09-05-2013, 19:19   #171
moeman

Back in the day an average American who worked hard and was reliable got a good job and could raise a family easily.

Today, not so much... Takes a lot more education or a lot less ethics.

With education and less ethics can land one into Wall Street and elsewhere, more money than ever while joe Lunchbucket is going south.

Last edited by moeman; 09-05-2013 at 21:27..
moeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 19:20   #172
Gray_Rider

The kids disappearing from polio.....

And so many of us thought we had a tough childhood.

But I too remember Sky King and The Lone Ranger. Thriller. Tarzan movies at 7am. Twilight Zone, and Howdy Doody.

But then there was glorious summertime...grandma's house, 18 cousins, playing army, and grandpa's handkerchef parachutes...

Gray_Rider

Last edited by Gray_Rider; 09-05-2013 at 19:23..
Gray_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 19:29   #173
vikingsoftpaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
It is true though, as a kid (and I am under 40) we played outside all day most everyday. If it rained, we waited for it to stop (often in the garage) or played in the rain. (no winter storms where I grew up)
Do you realize that we are the last generation that played outside?

"Though defensive violence will always be 'a sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." - St. Augustine
vikingsoftpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 19:42   #174
Gray_Rider

Your bike. Sled riding. Fishing for crawdads. BB guns. (stories too various to mention) The sawdust pile. Snow forts. How girls suddenly became so very interesting. How one felt in your arms that first dance. The old Playboy mag you found. Comic books. Boy Scout camp in a midnight thunderstorm.

Then there are the terrific toys from the 50's and 60's.
Old 09-05-2013, 20:17   #175
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

Quote:
Originally Posted by G36's Rule View Post
Cigs were 30-40 cents a pack through the 70's and I routinely bought them as a 11-13 year old for adults. Couldn't stand them myself.

In 1957 I bought cigs for $1 a carton in the Navy. My choice of brand.

In Europe, a carton of Marlboros bought a full week end at a "fun girls apartment".

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is online now   Reply With Quote