GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2013, 20:52   #101
countrygun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 17,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by rauldduke1979 View Post
We didn't play outside and we didn't play inside - we waited patiently for the dial up modem to connect so we could send an Email - via AOL.

What is this outside of which you speak? Frankly, once Wolfenstein came out the rest is a blur. It feels like I came home from 6th grade, sat down with a glass of Chrystal Pepsi, and I when I finally beat the darn thing it was like 2006?

On a serious note, I'm 34 so I don't know if I'm younger or older or what, but I'll say this: I grew up with two older cousins who are both a bit over 40 now. I remember what they did when they were kids. It was called Atari and Commodore 64.

Here's the deal:

40-50: when you were a kid, you played Atari till your eyes bled. You did not go outside.

Even if you were too poor to afford an Atari, you had a friend that had one.

35-40: You were right in the cusp between Nintendo and Atari. You did not go "outside".

Even if you were too poor to afford a Nintendo or Atari, you had a friend that had one.

30-35: Nintendo, Sega Genius, Playstation and PC games.

See the line about what happened if you yourself didn't have one.

Under 30: Xbox, PS2

See the line about what happened if you yourself didn't have one.

Today: 360, PS3, iOS games

So to you younger folks, the older members are pulling your leg a bit. They played video games (if under about 50) just like you did, I suspect a few could take you to school on Pong; Mario Brother; Doom, Halo or MW.
I'm 53 Atari did not come out until I was out of high school. I know because I was working full time for $2.60 and hour and the machine was $120. You had "Pong" and "Tank Commander" at first.

Video arcades were not everywhere.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 20:52   #102
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.
 
NeverMore1701's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Amarillo, Tx
Posts: 27,439
Someone needs to drag the honor thread over here.
__________________
And if we should die tonight
We should all die together
Raise a glass of wine
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 21:01   #103
2bgop
Senior Member
 
2bgop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: In the SEC
Posts: 5,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by rauldduke1979 View Post
We didn't play outside and we didn't play inside - we waited patiently for the dial up modem to connect so we could send an Email - via AOL.

What is this outside of which you speak? Frankly, once Wolfenstein came out the rest is a blur. It feels like I came home from 6th grade, sat down with a glass of Chrystal Pepsi, and I when I finally beat the darn thing it was like 2006?

On a serious note, I'm 34 so I don't know if I'm younger or older or what, but I'll say this: I grew up with two older cousins who are both a bit over 40 now. I remember what they did when they were kids. It was called Atari and Commodore 64.

Here's the deal:

40-50: when you were a kid, you played Atari till your eyes bled. You did not go outside.

Even if you were too poor to afford an Atari, you had a friend that had one.

35-40: You were right in the cusp between Nintendo and Atari. You did not go "outside".

Even if you were too poor to afford a Nintendo or Atari, you had a friend that had one.

30-35: Nintendo, Sega Genius, Playstation and PC games.

See the line about what happened if you yourself didn't have one.

Under 30: Xbox, PS2

See the line about what happened if you yourself didn't have one.

Today: 360, PS3, iOS games

So to you younger folks, the older members are pulling your leg a bit. They played video games (if under about 50) just like you did, I suspect a few could take you to school on Pong; Mario Brother; Doom, Halo or MW.
I am close to your age, this didn't happen for me. Being able to buy games wasn't an issue, but I was too wrapped up doing other things to ever play much. I would say at my peak, I would play less than hour a day.
2bgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 21:05   #104
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA
 
janice6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: minnesota
Posts: 17,234


I remember the Summer when kids we played with in the alley would disappear and we would be told they had Polio and we would never see them again. it was true. Worst year for that.

I do remember that we had to find ways to busy ourselves since there were no electronic games we could watch play. I learned to use table saws, draw knives, wood lathe, power drills, so I could make toys out of my imagination, to play around with.

Built a 12 foot boat, took it down river many times camping. Worked hard and played hard. Was taking the family Packard by my self when I was 12 years old, to drive around town for made up reasons.

Now it seems people want someone else to amuse them when they are bored.
__________________
janice6

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 21:18   #105
Hauptmann6
Senior Member
 
Hauptmann6's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Portage, MI
Posts: 9,196
Send a message via AIM to Hauptmann6 Send a message via MSN to Hauptmann6 Send a message via Yahoo to Hauptmann6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybercowboy View Post
I wonder how many 16-year-old kids today would have turned it in to the clubhouse? Maybe 50%? Kids from my generation probably 95%. I hope I'm wrong about this.
Much higher than you would guess.
__________________
--Power corrupts. Absolute power is pretty groovy baby!--
Do you believe in forever?
I don't even believe in tomorrow
The only things that last forever
Are memories and sorrow
Hauptmann6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 21:18   #106
kimo
Senior Member
 
kimo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Was West Virginia now CA
Posts: 2,096
For all of us old timers to reminisce, a good author to read is Patrick McManus. His books about being a poor kid and his various adventures will have you in stitches and ring true with your own experiences. His books, a fine and pleasant misery, and They shoot canoes don't they? Have some fine kid stories from a non digital past.
__________________
From all that terror teaches, From lies of tongue & pen, From all the easy speeches That comfort cruel men. From sale & profanation Of honor and of sword,From sleep and from damnation, Deliver us, Good Lord.
GK Chesterton
kimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 21:26   #107
rauldduke1979
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by ithaca_deerslayer View Post

I quibble over 5 years, but otherwise think you got it right. Of course even those now age 45 Atari addicts probably were outside twice as much as today's kids

___________
I joined the NRA, have you yet?
Could be. Probably under 40, which puts them a lot closer to Nintendo territory.

My point is we as a society are a long way - chronologically - from the days when playing video games wasn't a big part of childhood.

But no no, I never played video games, I wrestled saber tooth tigers and fought in Civil War, unlike these dang kids today, dagnabit.
rauldduke1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 21:33   #108
Harper
Senior Member
 
Harper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,436
I got a Nintendo when I was five. Even still I was outside more than in. I remember riding bmx on frozen mud. We'd ride until it thawed and the jumps got too slick. I did get to grow up in the country though with four wheelers, dirt bikes, go carts, bb guns, bow & arrows, etc.

I know a kid who almost never goes out. He doesn't like to sweat.
Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 21:45   #109
ChuteTheMall
What Difference
 
ChuteTheMall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Sinkholeville
Posts: 57,314


When I was a kid we used to hunt buffalo with bows and arrows, until the white men came. Occasionally we'd attack a wagon train unless it was snowing. We never had an indoors.
ChuteTheMall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 22:21   #110
Magnus2131
Glock Gimp
 
Magnus2131's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Kansas
Posts: 11,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
When I was a kid we used to hunt buffalo with bows and arrows, until the white men came. Occasionally we'd attack a wagon train unless it was snowing. We never had an indoors.
Your tribe stole my tribe's land and horses.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus2131 View Post
LW would have laughed that round off her chest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Wolfe View Post
And then gone and stuffed the gun up the ass of the Hajji bastard that shot me!
"RIP Jeff (23Skidoo)" and our Silent_Runner. 129,520
Magnus2131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 22:56   #111
Bruce M
Senior Member
 
Bruce M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: S FL
Posts: 20,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus2131 View Post
Your tribe stole my tribe's land and horses.
__________________
Bruce
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 23:05   #112
elsolo
Senior Member
 
elsolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: socal
Posts: 11,849
I had two toys as a kid, a baseball glove and a bicycle.
You couldn't play with either indoors.
elsolo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 23:11   #113
Jack Ryan
Get off my lawn
 
Jack Ryan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Meeville Indiana
Posts: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
It is true though, as a kid (and I am under 40) we played outside all day most everyday. If it rained, we waited for it to stop (often in the garage) or played in the rain. (no winter storms where I grew up)

Sure we watched TV, all 5 channels...the Bozo show before school and whatever our parents had on at night along with Saturday morning cartoons.
Lucky you.

We had channel 4,6,8, 13 and 4 was so fuzzy it was barely watchable.

EVERY channel was off the air at midnight.
Jack Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 23:16   #114
Jack Ryan
Get off my lawn
 
Jack Ryan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Meeville Indiana
Posts: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel McBadass View Post
Yes being a younger guy older people always tell me how my stuff is bad and what they used to do, and it seems like there looking back through a filter.

I always love the "we weren't playing video games we were outside every day all the time." Then i bring up what they did during downpours, blizzards, ice storms and other greatest hits of the northeast's bipolar weather, they say they still went out. Then I ask them their favorite T.V. shows were and they name a million, so obviously they were inside watching tv not playing outside.

Or the we walked everywhere uphill both ways nosnsense. Busses existed if you lived in a city.

Whats your favorite things you were told.?
You didn't talk like a smart ass TO or ABOUT your parents or most any other adult or person older than you or you were liable for a shot in the mouth.

Call one a liar, essentially what you are doing here, or roll your smart eyes and get caught at it and you'd get a back hand hard enough to put you on the floor. If you were lucky.
Jack Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 23:25   #115
Jack Ryan
Get off my lawn
 
Jack Ryan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Meeville Indiana
Posts: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by rauldduke1979 View Post
Could be. Probably under 40, which puts them a lot closer to Nintendo territory.

My point is we as a society are a long way - chronologically - from the days when playing video games wasn't a big part of childhood.

But no no, I never played video games, I wrestled saber tooth tigers and fought in Civil War, unlike these dang kids today, dagnabit.
I'm 58, we were outside a lot more because that's how you went any where. Outside. Most every family I knew only had one car. Rich ones might have a pick up truck but not most and Dad drove that to work. Nobody wasted money/gas driving dad to work just so the rest of the family could lolly gag around town when ever in the car. You walked or rode a bike.

Grade school was half a mile from home. About average for kids at my school and you WALKED. You walked there for class at 8am. You walked home for lunch at 11. You walked back for afternoon at 12 and home again at 3:30. That was every day from labor day until memorial day. A week off between Xmas and new year and a few days at Easter. That's it. Rain, shine, snow, cold, put on your big boy pants better start early.

Only the country kids rode a bus and just because they didn't go to school didn't mean you couldn't walk, we still went in town.

By jr high and high school it was a mile walk but we stayed there for lunch.
Jack Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 23:35   #116
Jack Ryan
Get off my lawn
 
Jack Ryan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Meeville Indiana
Posts: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawcatch@aol.co View Post
No doubt that kids play outside less today, but I think that many older people like to exaggerate their toughness.

For example, my dad is 60 and thinks I'm crazy for making traps and regulary eating possum and turtles. I couldn't get him to take up bushcraft at gun point.
In fact, most guys I know his age don't do half of the bushcrafting and skinning that I do, yet still talk about how they played outside all day.
When you've done all that kid stuff when you were a kid, and you did it all again teaching it to your kid, you worked all your life to have a frigging roof over everyone's head, then you want to stay under it where you are 60 years old. Kid.
Jack Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 23:42   #117
Jack Ryan
Get off my lawn
 
Jack Ryan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Meeville Indiana
Posts: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel McBadass View Post
Its more that its brought up every time you try to do something inside, especially when i know they weren't always out there, and you never plyed a board game indoors or built forts out of random things inside?
That's a lot of what irritates the crap out of old timers Mr. "McBadass". You DON'T know even half what you THINK you know.

Yes, we played some board games. When you were told to shut up and be quiet. When you couldn't go outside. When it was dark and the old people were all watching Lawrence Welk or Grand Ol Oprey. You watched one channel at a time then ya know.

We played a lot of Monopoly and it was nothing for a 10 year old to count their money, know the change they were due for the rent they owed. Figure in their head the mortgage amount to buy a property back and calculate up if 10% or 200 dollars was more. Now a frigging high school graduate can't figure the tax on a one dollar purchase if the register is out and they put frigging pictures of the products on the keys because people are too darn dumb to peck the right button.

And the 10 year old didn't think it made him "McBadass" to do these things. It made the one kid in the 5th grade who couldn't McDumbass.

Last edited by Jack Ryan; 09-03-2013 at 23:46..
Jack Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 23:53   #118
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.
 
NeverMore1701's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Amarillo, Tx
Posts: 27,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Ryan View Post
That's a lot of what irritates the crap out of old timers Mr. "McBadass". You DON'T know even half what you THINK you know.

Yes, we played some board games. When you were told to shut up and be quiet. When you couldn't go outside. When it was dark and the old people were all watching Lawrence Welk or Grand Ol Oprey. You watched one channel at a time then ya know.

We played a lot of Monopoly and it was nothing for a 10 year old to count their money, know the change they were due for the rent they owed. Figure in their head the mortgage amount to buy a property back and calculate up if 10% or 200 dollars was more. Now a frigging high school graduate can't figure the tax on a one dollar purchase if the register is out and they put frigging pictures of the products on the keys because people are too darn dumb to peck the right button.

And the 10 year old didn't think it made him "McBadass" to do these things. It made the one kid in the 5th grade who couldn't McDumbass.
Hope you're well stocked on poligrip, all that angry typing might loosen up your teef.
__________________
And if we should die tonight
We should all die together
Raise a glass of wine
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 03:27   #119
jpa
CLM Number 268
Charter Lifetime Member
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Las Vegas NV
Posts: 10,114
Send a message via AIM to jpa Send a message via Yahoo to jpa
Quote:
Originally Posted by rauldduke1979 View Post
We didn't play outside and we didn't play inside - we waited patiently for the dial up modem to connect so we could send an Email - via AOL.

What is this outside of which you speak? Frankly, once Wolfenstein came out the rest is a blur. It feels like I came home from 6th grade, sat down with a glass of Chrystal Pepsi, and I when I finally beat the darn thing it was like 2006?

On a serious note, I'm 34 so I don't know if I'm younger or older or what, but I'll say this: I grew up with two older cousins who are both a bit over 40 now. I remember what they did when they were kids. It was called Atari and Commodore 64.

Here's the deal:

40-50: when you were a kid, you played Atari till your eyes bled. You did not go outside.

Even if you were too poor to afford an Atari, you had a friend that had one.

35-40: You were right in the cusp between Nintendo and Atari. You did not go "outside".

Even if you were too poor to afford a Nintendo or Atari, you had a friend that had one.

30-35: Nintendo, Sega Genius, Playstation and PC games.

See the line about what happened if you yourself didn't have one.

Under 30: Xbox, PS2

See the line about what happened if you yourself didn't have one.

Today: 360, PS3, iOS games

So to you younger folks, the older members are pulling your leg a bit. They played video games (if under about 50) just like you did, I suspect a few could take you to school on Pong; Mario Brother; Doom, Halo or MW.
I'm 33 and I got a Nintendo for Christmas in 88. I also briefly had a Sega Genesis in 1990-ish. Traded the NES in at FuncoLand if you remember those stores. Pretty much the only times I got to play it was in the winter when there was a foot of snow on the ground. Other than that I was under orders to go out and play.

I remember the clear Pepsi...it tasted like crap. I also didn't get a computer until my second year of high school (1995). It was a Gateway in a cow-spotted box. I still remember the specs...Pentium 5 120mhz with 128mb of ram and a 1.2 gig hard drive and a 24x CD-ROM. I saved my spare change and bought a 14.4kbps modem at Wal-Mart for $39 and thought I was cruising on CompuServe. I think I spent about a year playing video games, then I got a job, discovered girls and spent the remainder of my high school days working, chasing girls on the weekend and hanging out with my friends.
__________________
Big Dawg #1408, TT #1408
Moto Club #1408, GSSF Member, NRA RSO
NRA Benefactor Member
jpa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:36   #120
Bren
NRA Life Member
 
Bren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 33,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by rauldduke1979 View Post
Here's the deal:

40-50: when you were a kid, you played Atari till your eyes bled. You did not go outside.

Even if you were too poor to afford an Atari, you had a friend that had one.
Not true at all. I am in that range and I have never owned a video game system of any kind, from the time they were invented. When I was a child/teen, I didn't own or play them and neither did my friends. If we played videogames, we played arcade games for a quarter a shot and the home videogames they had in the 70's to early 80's sucked, so we weren't very excited even if somebody had one.

What I did:

Age 3 or so to 12 or so, I was otuside all the time, in the woods, in the creeks, catching snakes and fish and crawdads and whatever, riding my bike for hours and pretty much living outside. Rather than go home and ask for the 5 cents to buy a pack of BB's for our BB guns, we'd ride along the ditches and find enough bottles to turn in for a refund, then buy our BB's and go shoot stuff. We'd build ramps and jump our bikes oover things. We'd ride sleds and build snowmen and throw snowballss in the winter. We'd play baseball and basketball and football on real grass, not a TV.

When I was 13 or 14 I played some dungeons and dragons one summer, but got over it as soon as I started dating girls at about 13. I started driving without a license at 14 or so and spent 14-17 drinking beer and going to concerts and playing drums and having actual sex with girls. At 17 I joined the Army and went to Germany and continued driving, drinking, sex, concerts, etc. Back then, soldiers didn't have videogames in the barracks, either.
__________________
Open carry activists are to gun rights what the Westboro Baptist Church is to free speech.
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:51   #121
MaxxAction
Senior Member
 
MaxxAction's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: TN
Posts: 4,333
Quote:
We'd ride sleds and build snowmen and throw snowballss in the winter.
Boy howdy...

the blizzard of 76. It snowed two and a half feet and blew for the better part of three days. The road we lived on ran north and south, was a series of eight hills, some of which were cut down 15 to 18 feet from the top of the landscape,so we had snow drifts 15 to 18 feet deep. When the end loader came down the road to open it up, the snow was stacked even higher.

We built an underground fort/tunnel/bunker system in one of those piles that was probably 70 feet in length, three "chambers" that were about five feet deep, and 15 feet by 15 feet with tunnels connecting them. It was freezing outside, below zero a few times that winter, but with candles, we could get the inside of the fort up to about 50 degrees.

One day the village idiot drove by and we hammered his car with snowballs, and he was dumb enough to stop on the hill to try to scold us for throwing snowballs at his car. When he figured out he wasn't going to deter us, he tried to leave and the hill was too steep. By the time he got smart and backed down the hill, there was about a foot of snow covering his windshield.

Great memories.
__________________
Will Wrestle You For Food
MaxxAction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:10   #122
ChuteTheMall
What Difference
 
ChuteTheMall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Sinkholeville
Posts: 57,314


Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus2131 View Post
Your tribe stole my tribe's land and horses.
In my day we didn't even have horses, at least until the conquistadors invaded.

ChuteTheMall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:17   #123
Cybercowboy
Support the 2nd
 
Cybercowboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: SW Missouri
Posts: 2,470
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxxAction View Post
Boy howdy...

the blizzard of 76. It snowed two and a half feet and blew for the better part of three days. The road we lived on ran north and south, was a series of eight hills, some of which were cut down 15 to 18 feet from the top of the landscape,so we had snow drifts 15 to 18 feet deep. When the end loader came down the road to open it up, the snow was stacked even higher.

We built an underground fort/tunnel/bunker system in one of those piles that was probably 70 feet in length, three "chambers" that were about five feet deep, and 15 feet by 15 feet with tunnels connecting them. It was freezing outside, below zero a few times that winter, but with candles, we could get the inside of the fort up to about 50 degrees.

One day the village idiot drove by and we hammered his car with snowballs, and he was dumb enough to stop on the hill to try to scold us for throwing snowballs at his car. When he figured out he wasn't going to deter us, he tried to leave and the hill was too steep. By the time he got smart and backed down the hill, there was about a foot of snow covering his windshield.

Great memories.
About the same year (1976) all us kids were out building snow forts and laying in wait as cars drove by to pelt with snowballs. My friend Pat's dad Nay drives by and we nail his car good. Pat was with us and looked worried.

Nay pulled into his driveway across the street and calmly made a bunch of snowballs while we watched with curiosity. He then made a hammock with his jacket to hold them, and stalked towards us. Of course I was one of the first ones to risk tossing a snowball at him.

Holy crap, Hell itself was unleashed on us that day.

Nay had what you would call "an arm". I should have known, my buddy Pat was the star pitcher on our HS team and also my senior league team. But Nay... Nay began tossing easy ones at us at relatively close range, and they would hit you in the head. And it hurt. As we began to scatter in terror, he upped the velocity to about 80 MPH or so. Really nothing for him. I'm pretty sure he didn't miss with a single one. The last time he hit me I was running with my back to him and he hit the back of my head so hard I fell face first into the ditch.

That was the last time any of us so much as waved a snowball in Nay's general direction.
__________________
Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon. You make valid moves while the pigeon knocks pieces over, poops on the chess board, and declares victory.
Cybercowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:18   #124
Batesmotel
Senior Member
 
Batesmotel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 12,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinister Paige View Post
Back in my day, a remote control was a whack in the back of the head to someone's younger brother.
But did you have two TVs?

One that had a working picture and one with working sound?

One time we pulled the knob off of the one with working sound and replaced it a couple of stations off. So it said 5 but had 7s sound. Drove mom nuts.

Or do you remember your mom watching one show on the big 21 inch color TV and another on the little B&W? And you had to turn the volume up and down?
__________________
If it can't get you in trouble, it's not an adventure.
Batesmotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:25   #125
Stevekozak
Returning video
 
Stevekozak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Ryan View Post
That's a lot of what irritates the crap out of old timers Mr. "McBadass". You DON'T know even half what you THINK you know.

Yes, we played some board games. When you were told to shut up and be quiet. When you couldn't go outside. When it was dark and the old people were all watching Lawrence Welk or Grand Ol Oprey. You watched one channel at a time then ya know.

We played a lot of Monopoly and it was nothing for a 10 year old to count their money, know the change they were due for the rent they owed. Figure in their head the mortgage amount to buy a property back and calculate up if 10% or 200 dollars was more. Now a frigging high school graduate can't figure the tax on a one dollar purchase if the register is out and they put frigging pictures of the products on the keys because people are too darn dumb to peck the right button.

And the 10 year old didn't think it made him "McBadass" to do these things. It made the one kid in the 5th grade who couldn't McDumbass.
I don't know you, but I am starting to like you!
__________________
"You fight until you die. That's the whole deal in life. PERIOD." Regular Joe
Stevekozak is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 14:32.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,265
362 Members
903 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42