GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-03-2013, 15:47   #76
HarlDane

I think kids playing outside less these days has little to do with TV or the internet and is instead due to fewer stay at home Moms. Most kids go to an after school program or babysitter from 3-6.

My kids (5 & 6) leave the house at 7:30 and between school, the after school program run by the YMCA and various sports practices, generally don't get back home until 6:30 or 7:00. At that point it's time for dinner, a shower, a little TV/computer/video game time, and then bed.

Last edited by HarlDane; 09-03-2013 at 15:49..
HarlDane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 15:50   #77
jame
mange takk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel McBadass View Post
Its more that its brought up every time you try to do something inside, especially when i know they weren't always out there, and you never plyed a board game indoors or built forts out of random things inside?
I just turned 54, and yeah, we occasionally did those things, but only when forced do do so due to weather.

We really were out there all of the time. Rolling over a rock to look at an ants nest or some cool bugs, or playing around a farm pond was my internet. We didn't stay inside to "relax" because that wasn't what we wanted to do. We wanted to DO something.

As a side note, has anyone noticed that the start of the outcry of childhood obesity coincides approximately with the onslaught of console games and the internet?

Hmmmm.....and they want to blame high fructose corn syrup? How about a nice heaping teaspoon of Getoffyerassandgooutside?
jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 15:52   #78
Hugo R
Gaff G26 User!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahrcarrier View Post
Yep.
Outside, nearly all day, nearly every day. My single speed American Flyer rocked!

Might catch an old horror film, or Dark Shadows after 3:00 p.m. If you were lucky. And MOM had to approve the programming, and she was very anti scary stuff and shoot-em-ups........
I'm 54 and wow did my mom give me grief about my addiction to Dark Shadows...but usually I was outside. And growing up in Tucson in the summer with no air conditioning we would play until 9 to 10 since the parents would sit outside in their folding chairs drinking lemonade.

Now with all of the new electronic media the kids have at their fingertips its no wonder they hardly ever spend anytime outside at all.

As for people in general, I think they are much more bitter then I've ever seen them and there is a huge split between the liberals and the conservatives....which, depending on your personal point of view, would cause one to believe, that people do indeed, suck.

HR
Old 09-03-2013, 15:53   #79
JohnBT
NRA Patron

I'm 63 and can't remember the last time I saw a bunch of kids playing ball on a vacant lot or in an alley or the street. It's probably been 20 or 30 years; and I was in the game that day.

All through elementary and on into high school we played everyday - 6 months of baseball and 6 months of football. Basketball wasn't too popular in the '50s and '60s.

Come to think of it, did they even make basketball cards back then?

John
JohnBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 16:04   #80
Glock1963

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBT View Post
I'm 63 and can't remember the last time I saw a bunch of kids playing ball on a vacant lot or in an alley or the street. It's probably been 20 or 30 years; and I was in the game that day.

All through elementary and on into high school we played everyday - 6 months of baseball and 6 months of football. Basketball wasn't too popular in the '50s and '60s.

Come to think of it, did they even make basketball cards back then?

John
It's sad to say but you probably won't ever see kids gathered on vacant lots playing baseball or football again. If one of them gets hurt, their parents might just sue the lot's owner for damages.
Glock1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 16:06   #81
Rinspeed
JAFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1988 View Post
Back in my day, we only had dial-up Internet. It took forever for videos to buffer.

Must have been rough.

You run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking, racing around to come up behind you again, the sun is the same in a relative way but you’re older, shorter of breath and one day closer to death…
Rinspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 16:41   #82
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlDane View Post
I think kids playing outside less these days has little to do with TV or the internet and is instead due to fewer stay at home Moms. Most kids go to an after school program or babysitter from 3-6.

My kids (5 & 6) leave the house at 7:30 and between school, the after school program run by the YMCA and various sports practices, generally don't get back home until 6:30 or 7:00. At that point it's time for dinner, a shower, a little TV/computer/video game time, and then bed.
I bet that is part of it. Daycare probably doesn't let the kids loose on the neighborhood. But moms in the olden days did. And other mothers would keep an eye out.

Old 09-03-2013, 17:14   #83
Rick O'Shay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
Back in my day, we didn't have the internet, so we talked to real people, face to face. That's where we learned that (a) if a guy says "every day all the time" we didn't prove him wrong by arguing that he went inside to watch TV at night, like it's literal. Then, if we did take a guy's hyperbole literally, we didn't turn around in the same breath and claim he named "a million" favorite shows. And (b) we also had math in school, so we realized that if a guy is 50 and names 20 shows he liked back in the day, that's not much TV. I spent years of my childhood with no television, but I can still name plenty of favorite shows. And yes, we went out in all weather. It's no BS that kids and young adults today are very noticeably more delicate.
BRAVO, sir! Well put.

My dad didn't have any kind words for us, apparently thinking that a 'drill sergeant' presence in the house was the best way to raise two boys, without getting his hands dirty.
Mom was too busy, being a full-time housekeeper and holding down an 8 to 4 job also. We split from the house until we were ordered to come inside.

My least favorite time of day was "The Mickey Mouse Club" show time (around 4 or 5 PM, can't recall), when all my friends ran indoors to watch that show.
Rick O'Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 18:03   #84
jpa
CLM Number 268
Charter Lifetime Member

Send a message via AIM to jpa Send a message via Yahoo to jpa
I'm a "younger" person too (33) and even I remember riding my bike to the park with a rubber ball in my pocket to bounce off the wall. I used to walk around the block dribbling a basketball as I walked. By the end of the summer I could feel a good tricep bump. I used to play catch with my neighbors, we played running bases, we walked or rode bikes everywhere. I used to walk to the corner grocery store for mom. I was enrolled in summer camp at the park district that involved playing games, sports, field trips to the zoos and the movies. I cut grass for the neighbors for $10 a lawn. I worked for a local newspaper where I had to get up at 5am on Thursdays to deliver the 80 or so papers on my route by 7 and still get to school on time. On Tuesdays I had to go straight home after school to deliver about 250 of their junk papers to everyone that had the sale paper inserts for all the local grocery stores and the neighborhood classified ads. I walked my route and it was a hell of a time. I didn't have time to watch after school cartoons or anything because I was usually done by about 5 or 6. Instead I watched the evening news. As a matter of fact, I'm watching the evening news now. Old habits die hard.

Kids today are spoiled brats. They need to learn to hustle instead of texting mommy or daddy to ask for money or to buy them something.
Big Dawg #1408, TT #1408
Moto Club #1408, GSSF Member, NRA RSO
NRA Benefactor Member
jpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 18:28   #85
jdavionic
NRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
Back in my day, we didn't have the internet, so we talked to real people, face to face. That's where we learned that (a) if a guy says "every day all the time" we didn't prove him wrong by arguing that he went inside to watch TV at night, like it's literal. Then, if we did take a guy's hyperbole literally, we didn't turn around in the same breath and claim he named "a million" favorite shows. And (b) we also had math in school, so we realized that if a guy is 50 and names 20 shows he liked back in the day, that's not much TV. I spent years of my childhood with no television, but I can still name plenty of favorite shows. And yes, we went out in all weather. It's no BS that kids and young adults today are very noticeably more delicate.
Scary...it's like I typed this one myself

"No matter how bad it gets, if you're still alive it's just another bad day."
jdavionic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 18:33   #86
Eric
Big Giant Head

Back in my day, coffee cost a dime and they gave you back a quarter change.
- Roger Hodgson
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 19:00   #87
Eric
Big Giant Head

"Three wars back we called Sauerkraut "liberty cabbage" and we called liberty cabbage "super slaw" and back then a suitcase was known as a "Swedish lunchbox." Of course, nobody knew that but me. Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling."

"My story begins in nineteen-diggity-two. We had to say "diggity" because the Kaiser had stolen our word "twenty". I chased that rascal to get it back, but gave up after diggitty-six miles."

"We can't bust heads like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to tell 'em stories that don't go anywhere - like the time I caught the ferry over to Shelbyville. I needed a new heel for my shoe, so, I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. "Give me five bees for a quarter," you'd say.

Now where were we? Oh yeah: the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn't have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones..."

Eric
- Roger Hodgson
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 19:08   #88
Dalton Wayne
CLM Number 239
Epic mustache

Send a message via MSN to Dalton Wayne Send a message via Skype™ to Dalton Wayne
Back in the day when I was a kid late 1950's early 1960's I was born and raised on a farm, If I wasn't riding my horse I was in the hay loft making forts, and there was always work to do, like sloping the hogs feeding the cattle and the horse's, didn't have time for TV not like there was anything good on the three channels we got CBS NBC those were the only net works on TV back in the 50's
Those were the days, I got my first bike by raising a hog to take to market.......
As Stephen F. Roberts so famously said speaking with a Christian apologist "I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
Dalton Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 19:12   #89
ysr_racer

Back in the day, our chauffeur would take the long way home from school, and we'd laugh at the people less fortunate then us.

Good times, good times.
ysr_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 19:33   #90
rauldduke1979

We didn't play outside and we didn't play inside - we waited patiently for the dial up modem to connect so we could send an Email - via AOL.

What is this outside of which you speak? Frankly, once Wolfenstein came out the rest is a blur. It feels like I came home from 6th grade, sat down with a glass of Chrystal Pepsi, and I when I finally beat the darn thing it was like 2006?

On a serious note, I'm 34 so I don't know if I'm younger or older or what, but I'll say this: I grew up with two older cousins who are both a bit over 40 now. I remember what they did when they were kids. It was called Atari and Commodore 64.

Here's the deal:

40-50: when you were a kid, you played Atari till your eyes bled. You did not go outside.

Even if you were too poor to afford an Atari, you had a friend that had one.

35-40: You were right in the cusp between Nintendo and Atari. You did not go "outside".

Even if you were too poor to afford a Nintendo or Atari, you had a friend that had one.

30-35: Nintendo, Sega Genius, Playstation and PC games.

See the line about what happened if you yourself didn't have one.

Under 30: Xbox, PS2

Today: 360, PS3, iOS games

So to you younger folks, the older members are pulling your leg a bit. They played video games (if under about 50) just like you did, I suspect a few could take you to school on Pong; Mario Brother; Doom, Halo or MW.

Last edited by rauldduke1979; 09-03-2013 at 19:53..
rauldduke1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 19:38   #91
Restless28

Quote:
Yes being a younger guy older people always tell me how my stuff is bad and what they used to do, and it seems like there looking back through a filter.

I always love the "we weren't playing video games we were outside every day all the time." Then i bring up what they did during downpours, blizzards, ice storms and other greatest hits of the northeast's bipolar weather, they say they still went out. Then I ask them their favorite T.V. shows were and they name a million, so obviously they were inside watching tv not playing outside.

Or the we walked everywhere uphill both ways nosnsense. Busses existed if you lived in a city.

Whats your favorite things you were told.?
We didn't have pizza delivery drivers.
Restless28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 19:55   #92
Sinister Paige

Back in my day, a remote control was a whack in the back of the head to someone's younger brother.

If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom.
Dwight D Eisenhower
Sinister Paige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 19:59   #93
Bruce M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post

"Three wars back we called Sauerkraut "liberty cabbage" and we called liberty cabbage "super slaw" and back then a suitcase was known as a "Swedish lunchbox." Of course, nobody knew that but me. Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling."

"My story begins in nineteen-diggity-two. We had to say "diggity" because the Kaiser had stolen our word "twenty". I chased that rascal to get it back, but gave up after diggitty-six miles."

"We can't bust heads like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to tell 'em stories that don't go anywhere - like the time I caught the ferry over to Shelbyville. I needed a new heel for my shoe, so, I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. "Give me five bees for a quarter," you'd say.

Now where were we? Oh yeah: the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn't have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones..."

.. Eric
The Okie Corral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless28 View Post
We didn't have pizza delivery drivers.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 20:02   #94
Kilrain
Señor Member

- Sterling Archer
Kilrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 20:26   #95
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rauldduke1979 View Post
We didn't play outside and we didn't play inside - we waited patiently for the dial up modem to connect so we could send an Email - via AOL.

What is this outside of which you speak? Frankly, once Wolfenstein came out the rest is a blur. It feels like I came home from 6th grade, sat down with a glass of Chrystal Pepsi, and I when I finally beat the darn thing it was like 2006?

On a serious note, I'm 34 so I don't know if I'm younger or older or what, but I'll say this: I grew up with two older cousins who are both a bit over 40 now. I remember what they did when they were kids. It was called Atari and Commodore 64.

Here's the deal:

40-50: when you were a kid, you played Atari till your eyes bled. You did not go outside.

35-40: You were right in the cusp between Nintendo and Atari. You did not go "outside".

Even if you were too poor to afford a Nintendo or Atari, you had a friend that had one.

So to you younger folks, the older members are pulling your leg a bit. They played video games (if under about 50) just like you did, I suspect a few could take you to school on Pong; Mario Brother; Doom, Halo or MW.
No, I think you got the uppers 40s wrong. Atari didn't come around until the high school years for those kids. Not saying when it was invented, but rather when it became widespread in the neighborhood.

For that age group just under 50, the only videos games were at the arcade. Talking all the pre-teen years. And at the arcades were the teens and the druggies, and it cost money to play, or even hang out. I bet this is mostly true for anyone over age 45. But for those who are 45, you probably saw the widespread use of video games into the home, hooked up to the tv. You saw that in your pre-teen years, and it may hVe been the beginning of the end.

For those over 45, you were lucky to have been a kid before the home video game era. You had already played outside your pre-teen years. Now you were toward the end of junior high, or already in high school (or beyond for those over 50), and when the home video game craze hit, you had already developed as a person. Face it, by the end of junior high, it was clear whether you were going to play sports, study hard, or do drugs. Maybe some crossing of the lines, but you know it was pretty well set.

I quibble over 5 years, but otherwise think you got it right. Of course even those now age 45 Atari addicts probably were outside twice as much as today's kids

Last edited by ithaca_deerslayer; 09-03-2013 at 20:38..
ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 20:33   #96
countrygun

Quote:
I always love the "we weren't playing video games we were outside every day all the time." Then i bring up what they did during downpours, blizzards, ice storms and other greatest hits of the northeast's bipolar weather,
Out here in the northwest, I can remember the fall I turned 13. We had the worst storm since the Columbus Day storm.

Mom was gone taking Grandma to Great Grandma's funeral out of State. I got off the school bus and got in the house in time to answer the phone. I was Dad calling from his job because he was worried that the downstream neighbors had not cleared a jam in the creek. He was right and as I checked out the back I saw the water was just about to the basement door. If it went in it would flood the furnace that was below grade.

I was really too small to be on the tractor but Dad gave me instructions, since people were depending on him at his job and he couldn't leave, and I went out and cut a ditch to divert the water so the basement stayed dry and we would have heat besides the fireplace that only heated one room.

That's what we did during downpours.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 20:40   #97
BobbyS
You Talkin ToMe

Yep, back in the day we were outside a lot playing football or baseball and basketball. We did this until we were about 14 yrs. old or so. Then, kids started thinking about how to not get drafted or they got ready for war.
Old 09-03-2013, 20:42   #98
Cybercowboy
Support the 2nd

Quote:

Here's the deal:

Not just wrong, but really wrong like when the coyote thinks he's got the roadrunner cornered.
Old 09-03-2013, 20:47   #99
jame
mange takk

Quote:

Nope. Wrong like a tofu turkey wrong.
jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 20:51   #100
HollowHead
Firm member

The younger sister of one of my good friends who I went to grade school with is now a teacher at the very same school. They just tore down the bicycle shed due to lack of use and I remember if you didn't get there well before school started you had to lock up to the fence it was so crowded. This was the early seventies and as I understand it, enrollment has actually increased. HH

Edited to add: It was a mark of great shame to be picked up by your parents after school.

Sent from two coffee cans connected by a string.

Last edited by HollowHead; 09-03-2013 at 20:52..
HollowHead is offline   Reply With Quote