GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-03-2013, 12:17   #51
Pawcatch@aol.co

No doubt that kids play outside less today, but I think that many older people like to exaggerate their toughness.

For example, my dad is 60 and thinks I'm crazy for making traps and regulary eating possum and turtles. I couldn't get him to take up bushcraft at gun point.
In fact, most guys I know his age don't do half of the bushcrafting and skinning that I do, yet still talk about how they played outside all day.
Pawcatch@aol.co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 12:24   #52
SC Tiger
Shaved Ape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
It is true though, as a kid (and I am under 40) we played outside all day most everyday. If it rained, we waited for it to stop (often in the garage) or played in the rain. (no winter storms where I grew up)

Sure we watched TV, all 5 channels...the Bozo show before school and whatever our parents had on at night along with Saturday morning cartoons.
First part - I agree. I was outside all the time when the weather allowed.

Second - you grew up spoiled. 5 channels???? We had 3, and two were fuzzy. I used to HATE after-school specials - they got in the way of Scooby-Doo and the Superfriends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keoking View Post
If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.
SC Tiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 12:39   #53
johnd

Send a message via ICQ to johnd
Im not as old as some here but growing up in post war Europe and the ME was like going back another 50 years in technology and advancements.
Didnt see a TV until I was in my teens and didnt know a chicken had a body until about the same time too.
Life was what it was, we didnt know any different and no one had a penny to spare for anything. Power and heat was metered and when one didnt have some coins to feed it it we sat in the dark and cold and tolf ghost stories.
It was what it was and no one knew any different.
Today, we have everything and we are totally spoiled. Todays generation are petulant, demanding and are pigs in their habits.
johnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 13:06   #54
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Tiger View Post
First part - I agree. I was outside all the time when the weather allowed.

Second - you grew up spoiled. 5 channels???? We had 3, and two were fuzzy. I used to HATE after-school specials - they got in the way of Scooby-Doo and the Superfriends.
Actually....we had 6.

Houston in the late 70's early 80s.

2, 11, 13 (NBC, ABC, CBS)

8 (PBS)

and on UHF we had 26 and 39 (dont remember the call letters) but laaaate at night, 39 would show Benny Hill and we would stay up and watch that show week after week just to catch a 2 second glimpse of british boob!

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

I cross my heart and hope not to die. Swallow evil, ride the sky. Lose myself in a crowded room. You fool, you fool, it will be here soon
Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 13:10   #55
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel McBadass View Post
I still go outside, just seems like the second you try to sit down the previous generation makes it seem they were outside all day everyday and never decided to relax indoors at all. Both sides exaggerate a lot. I just hate when im trying to relax and get told something rediculous.

And if its downpouring, basketball can wait.
We really were outside most of the day. There was no where else to be. There was no other way to socialize. The only thing going on at home during the day was mom doing house wife stuff. What male child wanted any part of that?

I dont know why that is so hard for you to believe. Outside was freedom and our friends. There was nothing to do inside.

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

I cross my heart and hope not to die. Swallow evil, ride the sky. Lose myself in a crowded room. You fool, you fool, it will be here soon
Old 09-03-2013, 13:18   #56
Diesel McBadass
Tactically Epic

Its more that its brought up every time you try to do something inside, especially when i know they weren't always out there, and you never plyed a board game indoors or built forts out of random things inside?
Old 09-03-2013, 13:27   #57
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Quote:
Its more that its brought up every time you try to do something inside, especially when i know they weren't always out there, and you never plyed a board game indoors or built forts out of random things inside?
Not during daylight.

Indoor activities were the things we did at night, bad weather or when made to be inside.

There was no motivation to stay inside...because your social circle was outside and so was your freedom.

Old 09-03-2013, 13:47   #58
G36's Rule

Quote:
Board game? Sure with the family after dark. All the forts and tree houses we built were outside.

What age range are you in? 18-25?
G36's Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 13:52   #59
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2 Carbine View Post
I'm 75 so I've seen a lot of changes over the years that young people can't even imagine.

In a nut shell........
Such as medicine, transportation, the computer age, etc, is amazing and makes life so much better and easier than when I was a kid.

What has changed is the people.
People really suck now days.
I've noticed that nowadays the older generation is crankier than they used to be when I was a kid
ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 13:59   #60
*ASH*

im 44 , all those things we did do . grew up a farm , 6 generations on farms . my parents did have to walk to school for miles. had to be up at 5 am milking cows , then walk to school. my mom still talks about the cracks in the floor you could see the chickens under the house.

i had a great childhood. driving tractors when i was 8 years old. swimming in the nearby lake . bmxing . i built a track in one of our fields and all the kids would come on weekends and ride.

yep wnet on friday nights to local arcade . hang out .
had atari at home , still remember playing combat and pac-man
i still remember when colecovision came out and i thought the graphics were great

i would not change one thing from my childhood til 16 except one thing ...

i was seeing this girl who worked at our small grill take out place. she was 18 , then i started liking her younger sister who was my age . her older sister had a b/f so she came up with plan that if im dating the younger sister her boyfriend wont think me and her are screwing around .

ended up liking the sister better but after awhile the older sister told her sister what was going on . i hate i never kept after the younger sister .
Old 09-03-2013, 14:01   #61
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
We really were outside most of the day. There was no where else to be. There was no other way to socialize. The only thing going on at home during the day was mom doing house wife stuff. What male child wanted any part of that?

I dont know why that is so hard for you to believe. Outside was freedom and our friends. There was nothing to do inside.
Correct.

The inside world belonged to the housewife. Boys wanted to go outside and get away from that. Didn't come back inside until dad came home from work, if even then. Got called in for dinner. Got yelled at for coming in late. In by dark.

That's when Star Trek was on

In the northeast, outside in winter too. The snow and cold made no difference. Snow made it more fun outside, if anything.

A young boy's worst day is if the mother took him shopping with her. No escape from that boredom, and just waiting to get back home and go outside and play with friends.

A rainy day was a rainy day. That's when kids went inside and moped around, and played board games. No daytime tv to watch, as those were soaps. Many a kid stared out the window at raindrops falling, hoping mom would say it is ok to go outside and play in the rain and in the mud puddles.

No video games, except at an arcade. No internet. TV was maybe 3 or 4 channels, and daytime tv was soaps and adults blathering about relationship crap. There might be some early morning cartoons, or just after school. Maybe watch one while eating an after school snack, then back outside. But middle of the day in the Summer, there wasn't crap on tv.
ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 14:06   #62
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithaca_deerslayer View Post
Correct.

The inside world belonged to the housewife. Boys wanted to go outside and get away from that. Didn't come back inside until dad came home from work, if even then. Got called in for dinner. Got yelled at for coming in late. In by dark.

That's when Star Trek was on

In the northeast, outside in winter too. The snow and cold made no difference. Snow made it more fun outside, if anything.

A young boy's worst day is if the mother took him shopping with her. No escape from that boredom, and just waiting to get back home and go outside and play with friends.

A rainy day was a rainy day. That's when kids went inside and moped around, and played board games. No daytime tv to watch, as those were soaps. Many a kid stared out the window at raindrops falling, hoping mom would say it is ok to go outside and play in the rain and in the mud puddles.

No video games, except at an arcade. No internet. TV was maybe 3 or 4 channels, and daytime tv was soaps and adults blathering about relationship crap. There might be some early morning cartoons, or just after school. Maybe watch one while eating an after school snack, then back outside. But middle of the day in the Summer, there wasn't crap on tv.
This.

Old 09-03-2013, 14:18   #63
M2 Carbine

Quote:
I've noticed that nowadays the older generation is crankier than they used to be when I was a kid
When I was a kid the older generation wasn't all that cranky.
Instead of wasting time getting pissed off at you they just hit you.

I was raised by my Grandparents (never did know why my Mother gave me to my Grandparents, Father killed himself when I was young).

When about 8-9 I said "NO" to my Grandmother.
She said, "What did you say?"
I said, "NO, I'm not going to do it".

She hit me.
I hit and slid down the wall.
First and last time I said "NO".

Yeah, you may be right because I am cranky seeing how (many) kids are raised today. Makes me want to put a foot in the parent's ass that's for sure.

BTW, I love my Grandparents for taking the time and effort to raise me to be a decent, honest, respectful person and to stand on my own two feet.
M2 Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 14:29   #64
PBCounty

Send a message via AIM to PBCounty
Never inside during the day...nearly regardless of weather. Dirt biking and bicycling until well after dark. Weekends were spent camping / dirt biking. Us youngins would take off on our little dirt bikes and four wheelers on Friday and come back sometime Sunday night...outside the whole time. It was a lot more fun when the females were considered old enough to join us.
Old 09-03-2013, 14:51   #65
Ian Moone

Quote:
Actually....we had 6.

Houston in the late 70's early 80s.

2, 11, 13 (NBC, ABC, CBS)

8 (PBS)

and on UHF we had 26 and 39 (dont remember the call letters) but laaaate at night, 39 would show Benny Hill and we would stay up and watch that show week after week just to catch a 2 second glimpse of british boob!
Ah yes ...channel 39 also had Houston Wrestling on Saturday night ...with Paul Boesch.
Ian Moone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 14:57   #66
countrygun

Why would any kid have wanted to be inside?

3 channels on the B&W TV.

Mom giving you "house chores" to do

No apple tree to climb in the living room

Try cooking the bass you just caught over a campfire in the dining room and see where that gets you.

You can't work on your bike in the house, and you have to fix what ever was broken, there was no "Throw it away and get another one" or "get rid of it and get a newer model"

There wasn't any chatting on the phone for hours, there was one, black, rotary dial phone and it was for adults to use for serious things.

All of the chores Dad gave you were "outside things" fire wood, weeding the garden, picking apples, designed to get you OUT of the house.

There was no freedom indoors.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 15:07   #67
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

TV sucked, hot humid S Florida weather sucked, so we basically hopped from house to house getting buzzed and chasing skirts. No different from today, I guess.
I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, s**t-kickers, Methodists, and the GTDS.
Angry Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 15:13   #68
Bruce M

I remember getting our first television when I was in fifth or sixth grade. I believe I spent more time outdoors and more time reading that do average kid today. The elementary school was a couple miles away so it was the school bus most of the year and my bicycle in the spring if I had been good for the earlier part of the school year. Our elementary school was old enough such that the coal truck came in the winter and set up a chute to dump coal into the basement. Most people had oil furnaces supplemented with wood but no sense in spending the money replace the heater in the school as it was built to last. Any of several things I see younger people do today would have resulted in corporal punishment for me and most everyone I knew back then.

I agree life is often easier now and people often are not.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 15:16   #69
Cybercowboy
Support the 2nd

Today the guys I was playing golf with found a nice Samsung Galaxy G4 phone laying in the grass in the rough by #14. The battery was still charged enough to turn it on and it was undamaged.

I wonder how many 16-year-old kids today would have turned it in to the clubhouse? Maybe 50%? Kids from my generation probably 95%. I hope I'm wrong about this.

Last edited by Cybercowboy; 09-03-2013 at 15:16..
Cybercowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 15:19   #70
larry_minn
Silver Membership

My parents didn't NEED to make stuff up. The house my mom grew up in was built to have electricity. (but now power in rural areas even with poles/wires there)
So mom was at home (alone) and they came to hook up house. They leave and couple hrs later my mom's parents/brothers/sister come home. "Lory why don't you have the lamps lit or at least have wicks trimmed?" So my mom says "Why not just turn on light?" as they start to chew her out for being smart mouth she turns on light.
Her dad (my grandfather) would start a fire under HUGE couldran (metal pot) filled with spuds.. For hogs.
I had ONE channel growing up. I still watch some of those same shows. Bonanza, Rifleman, Big Valley. Funny thing is I still see ones I never saw yrs ago. Much better then 90% of current shows. (take away sex, special effect and nothing is left)
My dad rode horse to school. (with his brother/sister aboard) Bareback, holding sister. Horse went home alone, his mom turned it loose to pick them up. (I would LOVE to have seen that)
Growing up if I missed school bus I thought nothing of taking my bike. (it was only 7 miles) I could leave half hr after bus and still make it on time. If stayed after/no late bus I would walk home. (ok jog) to be honest I seldom made it home on foot. A neighbor/other friend would see me/give me a ride.
larry_minn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 15:24   #71
Cybercowboy
Support the 2nd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce M View Post
Any of several things I see younger people do today would have resulted in corporal punishment for me and most everyone I knew back then.

I agree life is often easier now and people often are not.
Schools have a "zero tolerance" policy about all sorts of things these days. When I was in school, if you were a kid who started fights, you'd get your ass kicked bad eventually. If you picked on kids, their big brother or their dad who also had your dad with him would show up and that would be the absolute last time you did that.

If a 2nd grade boy hit a girl, even a minor slap, well you would get your ass paddled by the principal no questions about it. I learned first hand what happened if you take a piece of tar and write your name in the kindergarten bathroom attached to your classroom and then when confronted about it, lie to your teacher and say your friend did it. Your friend who can't even write yet. Yeah, I got my ass paddled and I was 6 years old. Then they called my mother who came and took me home and I got spanked by her and later my father.

**** was real. The zero tolerance was zero tolerance for BS.
Old 09-03-2013, 15:30   #72
Pawcatch@aol.co

I've often wondered if the fewer kids playing outside now is one of the reasons that crime rates are so low at present time?
Pawcatch@aol.co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 15:31   #73
2bgop

Quote:
I still go outside, just seems like the second you try to sit down the previous generation makes it seem they were outside all day everyday and never decided to relax indoors at all. Both sides exaggerate a lot. I just hate when im trying to relax and get told something rediculous.

And if its downpouring, basketball can wait.
I don't know much about you. But if you are living on your own and gainfully employed, why do you care what someone says?
2bgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 15:42   #74
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bgop View Post
I don't know much about you. But if you are living on your own and gainfully employed, why do you care what someone says?
I don't get his theory that you have to be indoors to relax?????????????

Sit by the creek with a fishing pole for a while.

Sit under a tree and watch the clouds go by.

Watch the "'skeeter eaters" chasing mosquitos on the pond.

Indoors it's all artificial.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 15:46   #75
2bgop

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
I don't get his theory that you have to be indoors to relax?????????????

Sit by the creek with a fishing pole for a while.

Sit under a tree and watch the clouds go by.

Watch the "'skeeter eaters" chasing mosquitos on the pond.

Indoors it's all artificial.
I completely understand, I was outside every minute possible. I just don't know why he cares what someone says about him staying in. If that is what he wants to do, so be it. I have plenty of people tell me I am crazy for playing golf at 20 degrees, but I don't care, I like it.

Maybe I am missing something about him?
2bgop is offline   Reply With Quote