SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-04-2013, 20:17   #126
bush pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg702 View Post
If true, that is awful. Who buys a radio from Sears?
Is Sears still in business?

Send me your wheel weights, do it for the children.
bush pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 21:40   #127
Schrag4

I know there are tons of similar responses, but I lost my father to an accident when I was 25. My oldest son was almost 3 months old at the time. You should feel lucky that you can still have dinner with your parents.

At 35, I don't care what I get for my birthday. I get a little miffed if someone close to me forgets about it entirely, but even a simple "happy birthday" is all I really need.
Schrag4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 23:08   #128
TX OMFS
Right wing nut

Son, your mother and I adopted you. There. I said it. Now, go to bed. I want to call the children I actually love.
Old 09-04-2013, 23:28   #129
Folsom_Prison
Brew Crew

Be happy and quit your B*******. Be happy you still have both your parents. I'm 25, my dad died 20 years ago. I'd give all I've got to sit down and man to man with him.
Folsom_Prison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:05   #130
costanza187
I like Macs

Cheer up, you still have grey hair and a lower sex drive to look forward to!
Old 09-05-2013, 12:36   #131
JuneyBooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobob View Post
I'm going to be the first to say I sound very ungrateful and probably am.

My 40th B-day was yesterday. My parents met my wife and I for dinner and at the last minute my brother and niece came along (sister in law was too tired). My brother gave me $40 and my parents gave me $200. Pretty good huh?

The part were I was hurt was for my brother's 40th a few years back I remember my dad telling me how special this was, a big deal and wanted to get my brother something to remember. He got a Colt AR15, which i hope he will treasure forever.

I guess I had my hopes up of getting something special, something to remember, and something to cherish as a special gift from my parents on one of life's milestones, I got $200 cash.

Its not the money, my wife and I make a lot of money and a $1500 rifle or gift would make no difference in our lives, its hurt I feel that my brother's 40th was a day to recognize, plan for, consult with family members on what would make it memorable, mine was no big deal.

On our 18th B-Days my Dad bought my brother and I Colt Gold Cups. Its one of my most treasured processions, one of only 2 guns I own that are not for sale (my brother sold his a few years ago) I guess I was hoping for a third gun or something else that I could add to the list of "Not for Sale"

I keep telling myself my gift was my parents are both healthy and were able to join me for my 40th. Several friends did not get to celebrate their 20th, 30th or 40th with their parents still alive and that should be my gift.

My parents and I have a good relationship. My wife and I always spend our vacation with them. We all leave for a 2 week vacation to Austria and Switzerland next week.

Its amazing that at age 40 both my brother are successful happy men with families and yet that childhood "mom and dad loves me best" rivalry is present.
That is normal in families. But most people don't realize that this is normal in all families. Glad you made it to 40. Now 45 is where you will start worrying about retirement etc.
JuneyBooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 15:50   #132
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
My mom died of Alzheimer's a few years ago. Before she died I started to tell her I loved her (for the first time in my life).

Now my dad isn't doing so well. So when I told him I loved him, he replied, "what, are you gay now?"

And so it goes
You win the internets

Old 09-05-2013, 16:52   #133
kahoys

I read this somewhere and it makes a lot of sense if you think about the meaning of every word: "Instead of worrying about the things you wanted and didn't get, be very thankful for the things you did not get that you did not want".

P.S.
Hope u get ur AR, as they are very cewl.

Last edited by kahoys; 09-05-2013 at 17:06..
kahoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 18:24   #134
Lock316
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahoys View Post
P.S.
Hope u get ur AR, as they are very cewl.
Yeah, buy your own colt and take pops shooting. Tell him that is exactly like the one they got your brother for his 40th. And thanks for the $200 worth of ammo.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Ohub Campfire mobile app
Lock316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 19:14   #135
ysr_racer

OK, so I'm in Chicago visiting my dad and things were going well until I checked into my hotel. It's a Marriott Renaissance, and they've completely ruined my trip.

All the hangers in the closet are facing the wrong way.

Someone's going to pay, trust me, someone's going to pay !!
ysr_racer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 19:47   #136
YaDaddy

When a family member gives me a card for my birthday I still hold it by the corner and shake it before opening it, just to see if a check some greenbacks fall out. It's been a long time since that's happened, but it makes me laff inside every time I do it.
YaDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 19:52   #137
25pd

My birthday will be here in a couple of months but I won't be able to celebrate mine w/ Mom Dad or Brother as they all have died several years back. Boy I would love tyo have diner w/ all of them even if I didn' get any presents.. You Sir are still a lucky man to have them all with you !!!!!!!!!!!!!
25pd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 20:04   #138
Jake Starr

If you want to get back at your parents just show them this thread....

The Christian faith is in no way pacifistic.
Jake Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 20:22   #139
clarson_75

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobob View Post
I'm going to be the first to say I sound very ungrateful and probably am.

My 40th B-day was yesterday. My parents met my wife and I for dinner and at the last minute my brother and niece came along (sister in law was too tired). My brother gave me $40 and my parents gave me $200. Pretty good huh?

The part were I was hurt was for my brother's 40th a few years back I remember my dad telling me how special this was, a big deal and wanted to get my brother something to remember. He got a Colt AR15, which i hope he will treasure forever.

I guess I had my hopes up of getting something special, something to remember, and something to cherish as a special gift from my parents on one of life's milestones, I got $200 cash.

Its not the money, my wife and I make a lot of money and a $1500 rifle or gift would make no difference in our lives, its hurt I feel that my brother's 40th was a day to recognize, plan for, consult with family members on what would make it memorable, mine was no big deal.

On our 18th B-Days my Dad bought my brother and I Colt Gold Cups. Its one of my most treasured processions, one of only 2 guns I own that are not for sale (my brother sold his a few years ago) I guess I was hoping for a third gun or something else that I could add to the list of "Not for Sale"

I keep telling myself my gift was my parents are both healthy and were able to join me for my 40th. Several friends did not get to celebrate their 20th, 30th or 40th with their parents still alive and that should be my gift.

My parents and I have a good relationship. My wife and I always spend our vacation with them. We all leave for a 2 week vacation to Austria and Switzerland next week.

Its amazing that at age 40 both my brother are successful happy men with families and yet that childhood "mom and dad loves me best" rivalry is present.
I only went through the first page, but one question comes up. Does your brother spend as much time with your parents as you do?

I have the same sort of relationship with my older brother and parents. Only difference is my brother and I are not equally successful. As kids he always had an easier time getting things he wanted and seemed to get the better gifts and such. Somewhere along the way I realized it wasn't that my parents loved him more. They behaved this way, because I was closer to them and did a much better job of taking care of myself. They wanted to remain important to both of us, but had to do bigger gestures to receive the same amount of gratitude from my brother. Just 1 way of explaining your parents behavior.

This nation is lead by a government that doesn't care what the law is and filled with a majority of people that don't care what the government does.
clarson_75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 04:40   #140
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

I am happy to have a birthday dinner with my parents. I want them to spend no money on me to buy me anything. I give my mom money when I can. My dad won't take money from me so I try to treat him to meals when he lets me. It's my duty as a son. They raised me. They spent enough time and money on me. Now it's my turn when I am able.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:23   #141
Mrs. VR
Administrator

Only one thing i can say, My bday was in July. I just voice recorded my mom singing happy bday on my voicemail for the last time.

https://soundcloud.com/user519598156...orning/s-e9h9z

90/9/1

Mrs. VR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:58   #142
RenoF250

If you have a good relationship with you parents why don't you just ask them? I am sure it is that they already have a son that turned 40 but that was a little short sighted of them. Their minds may be on other things they are not telling you though.
RenoF250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:09   #143
Mayhem like Me
Semper Paratus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLIPPER 348 View Post
The fact that you posted the story online explains quite a bit.
the fact that I agree with this guy means even more.. .
You could maybe ask your therapist about it but I would not speak to mom and dad it would only look petty and ungrateful... And push your feelings on to them which they do not deserve they did provide you with a gift .

Hope you had a happy 40th..

Edited to add: I don't think people from your parents generation understand hurt feelings reports very well.
Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Ohub Campfire mobile app

Last edited by Mayhem like Me; 09-08-2013 at 09:13..
Mayhem like Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:23   #144
itstime

Happy birthday. Go on with your life. It sure sounds it doesn't suck.
itstime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 21:35   #145
xmanhockey7

I don't think it's really ungrateful. You seem to have a good head on your shoulders and realize there are far more important things in life. The fact your brothers birthday was seemingly way more important is what bothers you. That's understandable.
Old 09-08-2013, 21:38   #146
Magnus2131
Glock Gimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. VR View Post
Only one thing i can say, My bday was in July. I just voice recorded my mom singing happy bday on my voicemail for the last time.

https://soundcloud.com/user519598156...orning/s-e9h9z
That's priceless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Wolfe View Post
And then gone and stuffed the gun up the ass of the Hajji bastard that shot me!
"RIP Jeff (23Skidoo)" and our Silent_Runner. 129,520
Magnus2131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 21:43   #147
jsg34
Blade Runner

Cry me a river.
jsg34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 21:47   #148
FLIPPER 348
Happy Member

My God, this trainwreck of a thread is still going?? I have not read it beyond page 3 or so

.......but has anyone posted the "...no, but I hurt someone's feelings once" clip from Ronin??

Last edited by FLIPPER 348; 09-08-2013 at 21:47..
FLIPPER 348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 21:56   #149
wingryder

Perhaps your brother isn't as well off as you and your parents are getting him a gift he couldn't easily afford for himself, and for your birthday they know that you have the money to get anything you want.

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." - Carl Sagan
wingryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 22:55   #150
martin-curtis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Head View Post
This

Feel lucky, My mom is dead and I have no idea what my father is up to and I'm just a few years older than you.
Same here.
I'm 41 and my mother passed away seven years ago and I "do not" associate with my father. Be very appreciative of who you have, not what you have.
Shotgun, Personal Protection in the Home
martin-curtis is offline   Reply With Quote