Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-23-2013, 20:37   #1
Infidel4life11

Question for you guys running a RMR

Well I think I'm going to jump on this train. Starting with a Glock 17 Gen4 I am NOT going to mill the slide. My question is what mount are you running without a milled slide? Please educate me and post pictures if you have them please.
Old 07-23-2013, 21:42   #2
cciman

Trijicon RMR with Glock sight adapter plate.

Without milling the slide, the sight will sit about a 1/4" higher over slide. Not ideal but livable.
Takes getting used to finding the red dot - not always so easy to see the dot. But once you see it, it is laser accurate.

Having the base of the RMR inset into the top of the slide helps with this, but still not completely. You have to train to point the gun consistently to be able to see the sight dot.

have fun spending the dough.
cciman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 23:24   #3
Infidel4life11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cciman View Post
Trijicon RMR with Glock sight adapter plate.

Without milling the slide, the sight will sit about a 1/4" higher over slide. Not ideal but livable.
Takes getting used to finding the red dot - not always so easy to see the dot. But once you see it, it is laser accurate.

Having the base of the RMR inset into the top of the slide helps with this, but still not completely. You have to train to point the gun consistently to be able to see the sight dot.

have fun spending the dough.

HAHA Thank you.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:49   #4
bentbiker
NRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infidel4life11 View Post
I am NOT going to mill the slide.
I went the route you did and wish I'd just applied the cost of the RM44 adapter to the cost of doing it right the first time. I've eventually had 3 slides milled. With the adapter, the sight is too high for co-witnessing with BUIS, the sight line is an extra 1/4" high as noted by CCIMan, and you add a significant amount of unnecessary weight to the slide. Without the BUIS, you run into the problem mentioned by CCIMan in trying to find the dot; with the BUIS, you use the BUIS and suddenly the dot is there and your focus shifts to it . . . it speeds up the learning curve of presenting the gun properly.

The adapter costs half as much as milling the slide, which I'm confident you'll eventually do. I'd offer to make you a deal on the adapter, but I've since buggered it up for another project.

Last edited by bentbiker; 07-24-2013 at 01:49..
bentbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:36   #5
M3Rocket

I agree completely with bentbiker. I spent a few weeks researching options to mount the RMR on a Glock, and really, nothing beats a milled slide with BUIS. I ended up buying a complete milled Glock 17 TSD slide from OST. Put in a KKM barrel and a stainless recoil rod and I've been spending some time the last week playing with the setup.

This is the sight picture that I find absolutely helpful in transitioning to a reflex RDS:
Sights, Optics and Lasers

It feels completely natural to present the gun since I automatically look to align the BUIS and voilà--the red dot appears. Otherwise, without the BUIS as reference, you'll end up searching for the dot in the small window. This is especially tricky since the height of the RMR will also be sitting higher than normal. Thus your view angle has to change, and elevation alignment in that small short window is even tougher than windage.
M3Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:29   #6
silversport

bentbiker and the others give you good counsel...mill the slide...you will eventually...if you'd ever decide that you don't like the RMR'd GLOCK...some companies (mine is an OST milled slide) offer a plate to cover the milling so you can have a regular GLOCK again...

Sights, Optics and Lasers

Bill
silversport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:15   #7
Bill Lumberg
BTF Inventor

I wasn't impressed with the RMR at all. If I had been, I'd definitely have considered milling.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:36   #8
Infidel4life11

Thank you all very much. I had the idea of just using the adapter to that the pistol could be returned to stock. But knowing me I would probably end up milling the slide anyway. I've never co-witnessing my red dot/CCO with my back up sights. I'll check into the milling today. Which BUIS are you guys running?
Old 07-25-2013, 09:03   #9
GRT45
Transform & Win

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infidel4life11 View Post
Which BUIS are you guys running?
For a Gen3 G30SF pistol, I selected a Trijicon RMR® model RM07 Adjustable LED red dot sight mounted on a milled slide. Suppressor night sights from AmeriGlo (model GL-329) serve as co-witness backup iron sights (BUIS).

I prefer night sights with the red dot sight. I had plain black BUIS initially. The plain black sights were AmeriGlo GST-315 front and GL-404 rear. In low-light exercises I scored better times with night sights. Just as with iron sights, the tritium lamps help one orient the pistol more quickly in low light to get the red dot on the target.

Because of the increasing popularity of the RMR with BUIS on a pistol for LE/Mil use, Trijicon came out with a new line of Bright & Tough™ suppressor night sights at SHOT Show 2013. AmeriGlo puts white outlines around the tritium lamps, whereas the Trijicon BUIS can be purchased with either black or white outlines. I prefer black outlines for an uncluttered sight picture that is less distracting in normal light.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
: Strictly monogamous, I have one Glock and one woman.
GLOCK Certified Armorer,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Member,
Endowment Member, Eagle Scout

Last edited by GRT45; 07-25-2013 at 09:15..
GRT45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:40   #10
Infidel4life11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRT45 View Post
For a Gen3 G30SF pistol, I selected a Trijicon RMR® model RM07 Adjustable LED red dot sight mounted on a milled slide. Suppressor night sights from AmeriGlo (model GL-329) serve as co-witness backup iron sights (BUIS).

I prefer night sights with the red dot sight. I had plain black BUIS initially. The plain black sights were AmeriGlo GST-315 front and GL-404 rear. In low-light exercises I scored better times with night sights. Just as with iron sights, the tritium lamps help one orient the pistol more quickly in low light to get the red dot on the target.

Because of the increasing popularity of the RMR with BUIS on a pistol for LE/Mil use, Trijicon came out with a new line of Bright & Tough™ suppressor night sights at SHOT Show 2013. AmeriGlo puts white outlines around the tritium lamps, whereas the Trijicon BUIS can be purchased with either black or white outlines. I prefer black outlines for an uncluttered sight picture that is less distracting in normal light.

Awesome, thank you
Old 07-26-2013, 04:24   #11
silversport

I agree...I highly prefer night sights and have the Ameriglos myself (with Trijicon inserts)

Bill
Old 07-26-2013, 06:39   #12
jdsumner

I run a gen4 g17, milled with RMR/02 and Ameriglo suppressor night sights.

dan
jdsumner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 04:58   #13
silversport

...and as jdsumner told me...the nights made all the difference for me...

Bill
Old 07-31-2013, 20:24   #14
DEADEYERICK

Just ordered a Glock 17 gen 3 with the Trijicon rm07 today, from OST. Can't wait to get it next week!
DEADEYERICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:09   #15
Infidel4life11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEADEYERICK View Post
Just ordered a Glock 17 gen 3 with the Trijicon rm07 today, from OST. Can't wait to get it next week!
Let us know what it gets in.
Old 08-26-2013, 16:46   #16
RonS

Who is doing milling of slides now? I looked at the JP rifles site and don't see it offered anymore.
Old 08-26-2013, 19:20   #17
GRT45
Transform & Win

There are multiple places to have the mill work done on your slide, but Mark Housel at L&M Precision Gunworks is at the top of my list for future work on a Gen4 G30. Others include TSD Combat Systems, GlockWorx, ATEi, Lone Wolf, and Bowie Tactical Concepts.

: Strictly monogamous, I have one Glock and one woman.
GLOCK Certified Armorer,
Member,
Endowment Member, Eagle Scout
GRT45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:45   #18
jamesavery22

Bump for Bowie and ATEi. Forgot what forum one of their guys was posting on but ATEi's milling with the index points/bosses was top notch. Bowie does the same.

This is a less ideal path
jamesavery22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 12:11   #19
harleypower69

I run the Trijicon RMR with adapter plate. All the above comments are quite valid. I chose a different path and doubled down on technology. I have a green dot RMR and installed a Veridian green laser light combo on the rail. This is on my .357. I tried several BUIS but found cowitnessing with the laser really helped my 59 year old eyes get on target fastest. Once you get the muscle memory sorted out the RMR becomes quite intuitive to use. Just sharing what I did and hope this gives you some food for thought. It works for me and that is what matters, right?
harleypower69 is offline   Reply With Quote