GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:25   #201
muscogee

In defense of spandex, if you ride 25 miles, you need good bicycle shorts. Otherwise you won't be able to put your legs together or sit well after the ride. That said, you don't have to look like a fairy queen. I wear solid colors. I'm not trying to impress anyone, just save my ass.

I see the same problem in this thread that I see in most of the other threads in GT. People start stereotyping and then people rush into one of the two camps. I ride quite a bit but I never ride where there' not a dedicated bake path or a substantial shoulder. I never challenge vehicles. That's asinine. Vehicles always win.

At the same time I see fools ride where they shouldn't and dare drivers to do something. I also see inconsiderate drivers who think their vehicles are extensions of their phallus. You know who you are. You'll pass a bicycle and then turn off road 5 feet in front of them forcing them to try to make an emergency stop or ram your vehicle. They you'll get out all indignant. Plenty of infantile behavior on both sides.

Leona Helmsley
muscogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:00   #202
PostsOnPercocet

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscogee View Post
In defense of spandex, if you ride 25 miles, you need good bicycle shorts. Otherwise you won't be able to put your legs together or sit well after the ride. That said, you don't have to look like a fairy queen. I wear solid colors. I'm not trying to impress anyone, just save my ass.

I see the same problem in this thread that I see in most of the other threads in GT. People start stereotyping and then people rush into one of the two camps. I ride quite a bit but I never ride where there' not a dedicated bake path or a substantial shoulder. I never challenge vehicles. That's asinine. Vehicles always win.

At the same time I see fools ride where they shouldn't and dare drivers to do something. I also see inconsiderate drivers who think their vehicles are extensions of their phallus. You know who you are. You'll pass a bicycle and then turn off road 5 feet in front of them forcing them to try to make an emergency stop or ram your vehicle. They you'll get out all indignant. Plenty of infantile behavior on both sides.

I know I came off strong earlier, and I know there are a ton of jerk drivers too, but I just can't quite call it stereotyping bicyclist.

I had a argument with a friend about this over a year ago. Basically I said the same thing I said earlier in the thread. In my 19 years of driving I can count on two hands the number of bikers that followed the rules of the road. She still didn't believe me so I made a point of keeping track for over a year now. In one year I've seen one, count it, one biker that stopped at a stop light and didn't lane split to get to it.

There have been hundreds of bikers that just did whatever the hell they want.

And hey, I ride a bike sometimes, when my back will allow, and it's a blast. And I know it's easy to just do whatever you want. But what I don't do is hold up other people and break the law.

It's baffling to me that someone could be so selfish that they could sit there knowing there was a line of cars behind them and not move. I'd feel like such jerk if that were me.
PostsOnPercocet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:02   #203
GWG19

My sister and a friend where run off the road by am impatient driver. He clipped her friends rear tire and then my sisters hadle bar. Both of the girls ended up in a ditch. Other drivers saw it and stopped to assist. My sister was transported to the hospital, treated for concussion, stitches and eventually a knee surgery. Her friend had a broken arm and scratches.
The person that hit them spent some time in jail. The wittness say he did it on purpose. He said he was just trying to scare them.
The kicker is they where on a 4 lane ridding on the shoulder which was paved.
All of that because somebody was a jackass.
- If you’re not moving, you’re dead.
GWG19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:11   #204
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochese View Post
Someone must have driven in Boulder lately......
2x4=8, not 14.
Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view.
DanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:15   #205
muscogee

Quote:
Originally Posted by PostsOnPercocet View Post
It's baffling to me that someone could be so selfish that they could sit there knowing there was a line of cars behind them and not move. I'd feel like such jerk if that were me.
You only see the ones who do it. Not those of us who don't. People driving to or from work shouldn't have to go 5-10 MPH behind a bicycle. As I wrote, I see fools ride their bicycles where they shouldn't.

Leona Helmsley
muscogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:15   #206
BigDeeeeeeee

Many people claim cyclists don't follow the laws, but have you looked up the applicable laws in your state.

Here in Idaho a cyclist can basically treat a red light as a stop sign and treat a stop sign as a yield. They may also ride two abreast

TITLE 49
MOTOR VEHICLES
CHAPTER 7
PEDESTRIANS AND BICYCLES
49-720. Stopping -- Turn and stop signals. (1) A person operating a bicycle or human-powered vehicle approaching a stop sign shall slow down and, if required for safety, stop before entering the intersection. After slowing to a reasonable speed or stopping, the person shall yield the right-of-way to any vehicle in the intersection or approaching on another highway so closely as to constitute an immediate hazard during the time the person is moving across or within the intersection or junction of highways, except that a person after slowing to a reasonable speed and yielding the right-of-way if required, may cautiously make a turn or proceed through the intersection without stopping.
(2) A person operating a bicycle or human-powered vehicle approaching a steady red traffic control light shall stop before entering the intersection and shall yield to all other traffic. Once the person has yielded, he may proceed through the steady red light with caution. Provided however, that a person after slowing to a reasonable speed and yielding the right-of-way if required, may cautiously make a right-hand turn. A left-hand turn onto a one-way highway may be made on a red light after stopping and yielding to other traffic.
(3) A person riding a bicycle shall comply with the provisions of section 49-643, Idaho Code.
(4) A signal of intention to turn right or left shall be given during not less than the last one hundred (100) feet traveled by the bicycle before turning, provided that a signal by hand and arm need not be given if the hand is needed in the control or operation of the bicycle

TITLE 49
MOTOR VEHICLES
CHAPTER 7
PEDESTRIANS AND BICYCLES
49-718. Riding two abreast. Persons riding bicycles upon a highway shall not ride more than two (2) abreast except on paths or parts of highways set aside for the exclusive use of bicycles. Persons riding two (2) abreast shall not impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic and, on a laned roadway, shall ride within a single lane.

It's sad that some of your lives are so disrupted by cyclist that you feel justified in assaulting a stranger with your 3 ton vehicle.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:31   #207
F14Scott
CLM Number 283
Luggage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeInKS View Post
Bike riding is a wonderful hobby and one that I enjoy immensely. I ride with a group of folks typically and I can state that:

- We all try to follow the rules of the road including stopping at Stop signs and red lights.
- We will normally ride single file down a road unless we know that it is a very infrequently traveled one and even then if someone does see a car, we immediately line up
- We are very respectful of the fact that cars, trucks, and even motorcycles, have a significant weight advantage.

I wish that more folks would ride that way and stop being such a nuisance to the drivers on the road. Would definitely help build relationships.

BUT!

I do still see several drivers who think that we have no rights at all. There have been times when a rider has been challenged or even forced off road. We have at those times done everything in our power to assure that the local authorities are aware and doing something about the driver. Just no place for that.
My sentiments, exactly.

I will add that I am often amazed by how upset drivers get when delayed behind a bike for fifteen seconds. Perspective, people!
Old 09-03-2013, 09:35   #208
droidfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscogee View Post
In defense of spandex, if you ride 25 miles, you need good bicycle shorts. Otherwise you won't be able to put your legs together or sit well after the ride.
I ride more then 30 miles pretty often, I don't own anything but long pants made of heavy materials. Assertion fail, I can sit just fine after.

Spandex is for the ladies, maybe people with sponsors because they expect that kinda thing.
droidfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:53   #209
redbaron007
Lifetime Membership
A Nice Prick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by droidfire View Post
I ride more then 30 miles pretty often, I don't own anything but long pants made of heavy materials. Assertion fail, I can sit just fine after.

Spandex is for the ladies, maybe people with sponsors because they expect that kinda thing.
Really? Bicycle or motorcycle?

It's what one gets use too. Riding that far in 'pants' is not unusually...depending on the ride and bike. I will ride without bike shorts..depending on what kind of ride it is; however, I prefer the bike shorts.....it helps the 'boyz'.

red
TopGun *357sig* Club - #2632
The 10 Ring #00720

R.I.P. Cajunator® ~ R.I.P. Mullah (aka El Ron)
R.I.P. GioaJack ~ R.I.P. Okie
redbaron007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:54   #210
Detectorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by droidfire View Post

So you ride in the summer with long pants? How often do you ride?

The vast majority of folks who ride feel more comfortable with some type of riding shorts.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place”. George Bernard Shaw
Detectorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:20   #211
PostsOnPercocet

Funny, I was just, as in just got home from dropping my wife off when I see a guy on a bike riding on the sidewalk(illegal), turn into and ride through the crosswalk (illegal) to avoid a red light (illegal) and as he was riding out of the crosswalk into the sidewalk he rode right threw a bunch of pedestrians walking. They all had to side step him and they all gave him dirty looks and raised their hands.

He flat out ignored them and kept going.

Guy deserved a beating.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:20   #212
droidfire

Bicycle, couple of times a week. And yes, I only ever wear long pants, legs are never exposed to the elements.
droidfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:26   #213
PostsOnPercocet

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDeeeeeeee View Post
Many people claim cyclists don't follow the laws, but have you looked up the applicable laws in your state.

Here in Idaho a cyclist can basically treat a red light as a stop sign and treat a stop sign as a yield. They may also ride two abreast

TITLE 49
MOTOR VEHICLES
CHAPTER 7
PEDESTRIANS AND BICYCLES
49-720. Stopping -- Turn and stop signals. (1) A person operating a bicycle or human-powered vehicle approaching a stop sign shall slow down and, if required for safety, stop before entering the intersection. After slowing to a reasonable speed or stopping, the person shall yield the right-of-way to any vehicle in the intersection or approaching on another highway so closely as to constitute an immediate hazard during the time the person is moving across or within the intersection or junction of highways, except that a person after slowing to a reasonable speed and yielding the right-of-way if required, may cautiously make a turn or proceed through the intersection without stopping.
(2) A person operating a bicycle or human-powered vehicle approaching a steady red traffic control light shall stop before entering the intersection and shall yield to all other traffic. Once the person has yielded, he may proceed through the steady red light with caution. Provided however, that a person after slowing to a reasonable speed and yielding the right-of-way if required, may cautiously make a right-hand turn. A left-hand turn onto a one-way highway may be made on a red light after stopping and yielding to other traffic.
(3) A person riding a bicycle shall comply with the provisions of section 49-643, Idaho Code.
(4) A signal of intention to turn right or left shall be given during not less than the last one hundred (100) feet traveled by the bicycle before turning, provided that a signal by hand and arm need not be given if the hand is needed in the control or operation of the bicycle

TITLE 49
MOTOR VEHICLES
CHAPTER 7
PEDESTRIANS AND BICYCLES
49-718. Riding two abreast. Persons riding bicycles upon a highway shall not ride more than two (2) abreast except on paths or parts of highways set aside for the exclusive use of bicycles. Persons riding two (2) abreast shall not impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic and, on a laned roadway, shall ride within a single lane.

It's sad that some of your lives are so disrupted by cyclist that you feel justified in assaulting a stranger with your 3 ton vehicle.

Yeah? This doesn't go against anything I've said. Bikers still have to wait their turn, or get out of the way if there are cars behind them.

You know, act like adults who don't think everyone else is irrelevant.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:47   #214
BigDeeeeeeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by PostsOnPercocet View Post
You know, act like adults who don't think everyone else is irrelevant.
The biggest perpetrators of this behavior around here are the bikers with their straight pipes assaulting everyones hearing and the diesel guys blowing soot all over at every stop light. The cyclist still rate pretty low on the arse hole list to me.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:59   #215
PostsOnPercocet

Quote:
The biggest perpetrators of this behavior around here are the bikers with their straight pipes assaulting everyones hearing and the diesel guys blowing soot all over at every stop light. The cyclist still rate pretty low on the arse hole list to me.

Not a big fan of the loud pipes, in fact it's ultra annoying, but at least I get why they do it. When a bike is loud I can hear it and know it's there, which is good. Those little scooters, which I can't hear, come out of no where and don't give you any warning.

Still, you're right, it's pretty freaking annoying.

Want a huge laugh?

http://www.southparkstudios.com/full...e12-the-f-word

Last edited by PostsOnPercocet; 09-03-2013 at 11:02..
Old 09-03-2013, 11:51   #216
G30SF/F-250
Platinum Membership
GTDS

Quote:
The only time my truck puts out a big puff of smoke is when I have to get on the peddle hard like say when I am passing a bicyclist.

He said been busy keeping the kids and wife happy, did you miss that? Probably time for you to turn off pretty woman and wipe the ********* tears from your eyes, you might be able to read better ahole.
By AJ
G30SF/F-250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 12:04   #217
Diesel McBadass
Tactically Epic

My state law is bikes have to follow the law as a car would, and signal turns. Of course its not enforced and they get away with tons of crap
Old 09-03-2013, 12:08   #218
M&P15T
Beard One

Quote:

TITLE 49
MOTOR VEHICLES
CHAPTER 7
PEDESTRIANS AND BICYCLES

TITLE 49
MOTOR VEHICLES
CHAPTER 7
PEDESTRIANS AND BICYCLES

1. No one here, and I mean no one, has said that they have hit/run-over a cyclist(s), so don't be melodramatic.

2. The laws you quoted above, don't address the issue at hand, nor are they part of the real problem.

If cyclists ride when, where and how it is appropriate, then things are fine. It's when they ride in heavily conjested areas, taking up a lane where no one can pass them, that they create real havoc and frustration.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:10   #219
kimo

Its all a matter of perspective. For bicyclists who ride on bike paths, the jerks are pedestrians who walk 5 abreast and never move, who have dogs on leashes that suddenly run in front of you or, are let loose and chase you. Then there's the skate boarders who travel in packs and throw stuff at you or try to push you off the bike. On and ON....

The world is full of asshats. You could spend the whole day in a fit of anger and percolating rage if you wanted to (adding one more to the asshat crowd). Or, you could just shake your head, be a little patient, and work around the trouble.

Does that excuse them? No. But its like I told my sons. Everyone is someone else's ******* Face it, We all do dumb, self centered stuff from time to time.
From all that terror teaches, From lies of tongue & pen, From all the easy speeches That comfort cruel men. From sale & profanation Of honor and of sword,From sleep and from damnation, Deliver us, Good Lord.
GK Chesterton
kimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 12:14   #220
kimo

Quote:
1. No one here, and I mean no one, has said that they have hit/run-over a cyclist(s), so don't be melodramatic.
I guess all that talk about wide mirrors etc was just chest puffing. All it takes is the attitude that "this is my road and mine alone" to possibly find yourself talking to an officer about how your mirror clipped the cyclist, or you cut too close and caused an accident. It begins on both sides with an attitude...then proceeds to small "vengence" acts, and in unfortunate cases, a criminal act.

Guarding your attitude is the first step.

Big Deeee Thanks for posting the law in your state. Its one thing to make assumptions and another to see facts.
From all that terror teaches, From lies of tongue & pen, From all the easy speeches That comfort cruel men. From sale & profanation Of honor and of sword,From sleep and from damnation, Deliver us, Good Lord.
GK Chesterton

Last edited by kimo; 09-03-2013 at 12:16..
kimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 12:30   #221
BigDeeeeeeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&P15T View Post
1. No one here, and I mean no one, has said that they have hit/run-over a cyclist(s), so don't be melodramatic.I've been assaulted while on a bicycle so I've seen it first hand.

2. The laws you quoted above, don't address the issue at hand, nor are they part of the real problem.They are common complaints though and at least here in Idaho are legal.

If cyclists ride when, where and how it is appropriate, then things are fine. Freedom's fine as long as I decide when, where, and how.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:30   #222
chriscw81
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The subdivision I live in is off of a very narrow and windy dangerous road. Trucks aren't even allowed on it. In the 1.5 years I've lived here ive literally seen 10-15 cars flipped and probably 30 accidents. Someone even died in an accident a few weeks ago. The road is very popular for bicyclists, and to be honest, I cannot stand 95% of them. They always ride down the road at about 20 mph(in a 45 mph zone) and there are 2 or 3 riding side by side. If it wasn't a dangerous busy road it would be easy to pass them. It backs up traffic horribly. Even when its only one biker they ride in the middle of the road when they know cars are backed up behind them and they'd like to pass them. I think they may be doing it on purpose with a stubborn "share the road" attitude. I'm all about sharing the road but these cyclists are being ridiculous. This subject really hits home with me

Sent from my Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by chriscw81; 09-03-2013 at 12:32..
chriscw81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 12:37   #223
chriscw81
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folsom_Prison View Post
I encounter these bike riding ass hats often, I feel your pain diesel. I've seen a small group before on a two lane riding three wide in busy traffic. Cars backin up behind me, and they just poke around not giving a damn, meanwhile there's a sidewalk perfectly open for them to use.

I see these guys run lights and stop signs all the time, I've seen them swerve in front of cars at the last second and so on. Meanwhile with their I don't give a damn attitude there wearing spandex pants looking like an idiot.
Exactly!!!

Sent from my Nexus using Tapatalk 2
chriscw81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 12:53   #224
Gareth68

Send a message via Yahoo to Gareth68

Good bicycle shorts suitable for a long ride...

The Okie Corral

There are plenty of others.

They have a padded liner that offers comfort and a lightweight outer that allows you to reserve your dignity.

Couple with a nice baggy jersey and I am very comfortable when riding and have pockets for my phone and wallet.

And I don;t have to look like a uniballer wanna be.

Old 09-03-2013, 12:55   #225
Gareth68

Send a message via Yahoo to Gareth68

BTW, the above shorts I do not own. I have three pairs of cargo bicycle shorts and those will be my next set which is why I had the pic convenient...but I haven't purchased them yet.