Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-02-2013, 17:02   #151
M&P15T
Beard One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffyfan View Post
Typical of some non-cyclists are these misconceptions:
1) Cyclists hold you up. No, hundreds of drivers, one-to-a-car hold you up. If they were all on bicycles you would not be held up;
Horse ****. Bikes that can't accelerate or keep up with traffic are the problem. You are seeing what you want to see, what you have conditioned yourself to see, not reality.

Quote:
2) Cyclists, going 15mph even riding two-abreast hold you up. Dudes if you can't pass a two cyclists going 15mph at less than the width of a car how in the world can you pass a car or a truck going 40mph?
WTF are you talking about? If a bicycle is taking a lane, then there's no way around them.

What you are talking about, is people riding bicycles on rural/mostly empty roads. No one gives a **** about that. The issues is when bicyclists decide to take lanes in heavily trafficked areas like NoVa/DC. There's no way to pass, and you're stuck behind Greg Le******.

Last edited by M&P15T; 09-02-2013 at 17:05..
M&P15T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 17:35   #152
IndyGunFreak
RIP My Friends

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Funny I saw this thread... last night on my way home I very narrowly missed 2 bikers by slamming on my brakes (they disobeyed a red light at a very busy intersection). I discovered they were part of a group of about 20 or so. No apology, no. "Thank goodness you were paying attention, because we sure weren't". Instead, they laugh, continue.. with the rest of the group riding around my stopped car in the middle of the street. Their only saving grace was it was about 0100 so traffic had died.

These were the adult Lance Armstrong wannabees, rather than a group of teenage misfits.
The fire is no longer my major concern since I am leaving immediately on an unexpected road trip to Indianapolis. Watch the national news over the next couple of days, I'll wave... well, only if I'm cuffed in the front.
RIP Jack
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 17:41   #153
RagnarDanneskjold
Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak View Post
Funny I saw this thread... last night on my way home I very narrowly missed 2 bikers by slamming on my brakes (they disobeyed a red light at a very busy intersection). I discovered they were part of a group of about 20 or so. No apology, no. "Thank goodness you were paying attention, because we sure weren't". Instead, they laugh, continue.. with the rest of the group riding around my stopped car in the middle of the street. Their only saving grace was it was about 0100 so traffic had died.

These were the adult Lance Armstrong wannabees, rather than a group of teenage misfits.

I wouldn't sweat it too much, sooner of later they'll "run into" someone with worse brakes and reflexes than you. Natural selection may be slow, but it's very thorough.
Old 09-02-2013, 17:44   #154
JoeInKS

Bike riding is a wonderful hobby and one that I enjoy immensely. I ride with a group of folks typically and I can state that:

- We all try to follow the rules of the road including stopping at Stop signs and red lights.
- We will normally ride single file down a road unless we know that it is a very infrequently traveled one and even then if someone does see a car, we immediately line up
- We are very respectful of the fact that cars, trucks, and even motorcycles, have a significant weight advantage.

I wish that more folks would ride that way and stop being such a nuisance to the drivers on the road. Would definitely help build relationships.

BUT!

I do still see several drivers who think that we have no rights at all. There have been times when a rider has been challenged or even forced off road. We have at those times done everything in our power to assure that the local authorities are aware and doing something about the driver. Just no place for that.
JoeInKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 17:55   #155
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeInKS View Post
I do still see several drivers who think that we have no rights at all.
When did the use of a public road become a right?
2x4=8, not 14.
Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view.
DanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 17:58   #156
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
6) Cyclists must use cycling lanes. Look at the lanes - they are often just 2-3 ft wide paths that do not even go where the cyclist must travel. A true cycling lane is 4 ft wide.
You must suck at riding. I drive regularly where the total width a lane for a car is 2 meters (6.5ft) wide.

You whine that you cant fit a bicycle in less than 4 feet wide and yet I can drive a midsize car in a lane 6.5 feet wide with a barrier on one side and semi-truck on the other. That is at 80kmh...
2x4=8, not 14.
Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view.
DanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 18:03   #157
G30SF/F-250
Platinum Membership
GTDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeInKS View Post
Bike riding is a wonderful hobby and one that I enjoy immensely. I ride with a group of folks typically and I can state that:

- We all try to follow the rules of the road including stopping at Stop signs and red lights.
- We will normally ride single file down a road unless we know that it is a very infrequently traveled one and even then if someone does see a car, we immediately line up
- We are very respectful of the fact that cars, trucks, and even motorcycles, have a significant weight advantage.

I wish that more folks would ride that way and stop being such a nuisance to the drivers on the road. Would definitely help build relationships.

BUT!

I do still see several drivers who think that we have no rights at all. There have been times when a rider has been challenged or even forced off road. We have at those times done everything in our power to assure that the local authorities are aware and doing something about the driver. Just no place for that.
Thank you.

I assume no here one has a problem with cyclist like yourself.

It's the other asshats that piss everyone off.

He said been busy keeping the kids and wife happy, did you miss that? Probably time for you to turn off pretty woman and wipe the ********* tears from your eyes, you might be able to read better ahole.
By AJ
G30SF/F-250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 18:17   #158
GVFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yz9890 View Post
I carry a snub in my frame bag also. But I don't carry any patches with the planes I fly with me. I doubt they're of any practical use in a defensive situation.
Funny. It's actually an organizational patch that shows the organization and the test project.

I don't carry patches defensively either, but there are many posers on this board living out Walter Mitty fantasies, so I threw in a SETP patch just to show that I really have a S&W 340PD and it's not just a pic I found on the web.

I do proudly wear this patch while on my Harley; it puts me in the association of some great Americans.

The Okie Corral

http://www.specialops.org/

Last edited by GVFlyer; 09-02-2013 at 18:21..
GVFlyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 18:33   #159
RagnarDanneskjold
Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVFlyer View Post
Funny. It's actually an organizational patch that shows the organization and the test project.

I don't carry patches defensively either, but there are many posers on this board living out Walter Mitty fantasies, so I threw in a SETP patch just to show that I really have a S&W 340PD and it's not just a pic I found on the web.
Anyone that pathetic, I'd be inclined to let them have their imaginary life. Heck, if the highlight of their day is to go online and brag to unimpressed strangers about stuff they don't really own or haven't really done, they're probably never going to kiss a pretty girl or move out of their Mom's basement. Let them fantasize all they want.

Seriously, though, thank you for your service.
Old 09-02-2013, 19:28   #160
Redheadhunter21

Where I live I can't stand most cyclist(a spandex wearing person on a bicycle).

I tow a boat regularly and the road to the boat ramp is a two lane road with no paved shoulder. Every weekend around 8-11am when everybody and their mother is headed to the boat ramp, the cyclists decide its the perfect time to ride down this road. They go into the public ramp and turn around and ride back down the road. There is no bike path and no shoulder for them to ride on so they sit 2 to 3 wide and try make us towing boats swerve around them. When you have 2 people going past each other there's no room for a cyclist.

It's sad that these cyclist make enough money to spend 5k+ on a bike and clothes yet the guy down the street that makes less than 10 bucks and hour understands that he needs to stay on the shoulder or ride the grass.

I deal with cyclist at least one day a week on my way to work, they regularly run the same 3- way stop sign and when I stop and then go for my turn they curse and scream because I either made them stop or they have to swerve to avoid me after blowing through the stop sign.

I'm not going to purposely try and hit a cyclist but it should not be my job to avoid reckless cyclist that pay no attention to laws of the road.

A neighbor of mine even had a couple cyclist ride into the side of his patrol car while he had the busway blocked off, there's no bikes allowed on the busway and there's even a allotted bikeway. Needless to say it wasn't a very good day for the cyclists since they had to get a ride home and had a stack of tickets to go with them. It was the first time he ever impounded a bicycle too.
Redheadhunter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 19:57   #161
larry_minn
Silver Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by PostsOnPercocet View Post
I've been all over the country. Like I said, a big mouth is a big mouth until it's time to actually dance. At least from my experience.
Pot, meet kettle.
larry_minn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 20:38   #162
GVFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagnarDanneskjold View Post
Anyone that pathetic, I'd be inclined to let them have their imaginary life. Heck, if the highlight of their day is to go online and brag to unimpressed strangers about stuff they don't really own or haven't really done, they're probably never going to kiss a pretty girl or move out of their Mom's basement. Let them fantasize all they want.
Seems an excellent analysis.

http://www.specialops.org/
GVFlyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 20:46   #163
PostsOnPercocet

Quote:
Typical of some non-cyclists are these misconceptions:
1) Cyclists hold you up. No, hundreds of drivers, one-to-a-car hold you up. If they were all on bicycles you would not be held up;

2) Cyclists, going 15mph even riding two-abreast hold you up. Dudes if you can't pass a two cyclists going 15mph at less than the width of a car how in the world can you pass a car or a truck going 40mph?;

3) Cyclists must travel in the gutter. It's much better for them to take the road (i.e. ride in the right hand tire track of cars), and it's very predictable. It's unpredictability that's a hazard not the speed of a narrow bicycle;

4) Sometimes cyclists must take the road (riding in the center) because it's unsafe for the cars to pass them, usually when they can see on-coming traffic on a blind curve. If they don't take the road they risk frightened drivers trying to pass veering back into the lane;

5) It's not all about you. People say that cyclists do not respect them. That's hubris on the driver's part. We are just trying to get some exercise and stay alive;

6) Cyclists must use cycling lanes. Look at the lanes - they are often just 2-3 ft wide paths that do not even go where the cyclist must travel. A true cycling lane is 4 ft wide. If you want to pass a cyclist safely you should give them 3 feet of space. Often cities will paint a lane that's completely unrealistic or exists in the 'dooring' area of parked cars. You just can't ride safely in that space;

7) Consider any rider as you would a beloved friend and give them space and time. It's worth 10 seconds not to risk running over your next-door-neighbor's kid;

8) Every rider means one less car in the road to 'hold you up', or cause you to go into 'road rage'. A cyclist can't really 'cut you off';

9) Cyclists also drive so yes, they pay road taxes, too;

10) A cyclist can not harm you by 'running into your car'. You are in a two ton vehicle surrounded by steel and metal.

HtH

Is this really how you interpret things? I'm not trying to mock you, but when I see stuff like this it's clear to me how people can argue over obvious, simply things, and have convinced themselves they are correct.

I mean, much of what you said is legally wrong and logically wrong. How can you not see this? Unless you're trolling?

I mean, number 7 is right out of a gun grabbers hand book. Think of the children, you don't need that gun, it's just going to kill a kid!
PostsOnPercocet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 21:18   #164
AZ Husker

I can keep my Harley in a three-foot lane Buffyfan. You are an idiot and one of the very causes of this thread.
Old 09-02-2013, 21:42   #165
SGM_Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by G30SF/F-250 View Post
I think Buffy's entire post is a fail.

Read it again.
SGM_Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 21:44   #166
G30SF/F-250
Platinum Membership
GTDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGM_Brown View Post
Read it again.
Don't tell me what to do!

He said been busy keeping the kids and wife happy, did you miss that? Probably time for you to turn off pretty woman and wipe the ********* tears from your eyes, you might be able to read better ahole.
By AJ
Old 09-02-2013, 21:53   #167
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Send a message via AIM to AK_Stick Send a message via Yahoo to AK_Stick
Quote:
Read it again.

So, now its wrong twice?

Buffy, is the kind of cyclist that causes issues. If more cyclists would self police idiots like him, there would be alot less issues.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"
AK_Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 21:57   #168
SGM_Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagnarDanneskjold View Post
Anyone that pathetic, I'd be inclined to let them have their imaginary life. Heck, if the highlight of their day is to go online and brag to unimpressed strangers about stuff they don't really own or haven't really done, they're probably never going to kiss a pretty girl or move out of their Mom's basement...
But, they'll get to drive Mustangs and F250s.
SGM_Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 22:02   #169
G30SF/F-250
Platinum Membership
GTDS

Quote:

By AJ
Old 09-02-2013, 22:05   #170
RagnarDanneskjold
Pirate

Quote:
Big whoop. I've driven both of those. I actually liked my celica better than the mustang, but the 250 was a decent truck. I especially liked the combo of the bench seat and stick-shift, as did my gf at the time, she always rode in the middle, straddling the shifter.

The ones that really make me laugh/ are the ex-spec. ops guys who can't answer seriously basic questions about the military, and the thirty-five year old Vietnam vets.
Old 09-02-2013, 22:17   #171
yz9890

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVFlyer View Post

I do proudly wear this patch while on my Harley; it puts me in the association of some great Americans.

The Okie Corral
Who cares if someone on the web doesn't believe you? You say you've got a 340PD, I believe you. You say you're a vet and ride motorcycles with other vets, I believe you. And I believe you fly G5. I'm not calling you out. I just thought it was a strange thing to include in a picture in a thread about bicycles in a gun forum.
yz9890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 22:20   #172
kimo

Drove down Hwy 1 in Morro Bay today and passed an accident where 2 cyclists had been hit...one was obviously deceased. Both appeared to have been well over on the shoulder of the road away from traffic.

Personally I don't ever want anything like thAt on my conscience no matter how much cyclists frustrate me.

I cycle to and from work every day, 90% on a bike path.
From all that terror teaches, From lies of tongue & pen, From all the easy speeches That comfort cruel men. From sale & profanation Of honor and of sword,From sleep and from damnation, Deliver us, Good Lord.
GK Chesterton
kimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 22:30   #173
podwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimo View Post
Personally I don't ever want anything like thAt on my conscience no matter how much cyclists frustrate me.
That's for damned sure. I always give cyclists a lot of room. Then again, I don't tailgate, flip people off, hog the left lane, block people from entering lanes, etc. When I ride bikes, I stay on the right (out of self-preservation as well).

I still think it goes back to just being decent to each other. I'm not a perfect person by any stretch of the imagination, but the above is really easy to do and helps prevent tons of problems.
podwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 22:34   #174
RagnarDanneskjold
Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by podwich View Post
That's for damned sure. I always give cyclists a lot of room. Then again, I don't tailgate, flip people off, hog the left lane, block people from entering lanes, etc. When I ride bikes, I stay on the right (out of self-preservation as well).

I still think it goes back to just being decent to each other. I'm not a perfect person by any stretch of the imagination, but the above is really easy to do and helps prevent tons of problems.
I have to admit, I flip the bird to a couple people a year, but it takes a really special level of jackass. Other than that, I'm with you.
Old 09-02-2013, 22:35   #175
yz9890

"share the road" with bikes.....rant

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimo View Post
Drove down Hwy 1 in Morro Bay today and passed an accident where 2 cyclists had been hit...one was obviously deceased. Both appeared to have been well over on the shoulder of the road away from traffic.

I cycle to and from work every day, 90% on a bike path.
I saw a woman veer off the bike path in front of me into the trees at the park when she nearly passed out form heat/dehydration. Luckily she didn't completely black out and was able to kind of "plop" herself into some cat tails. Also lucky her boyfriend was apparently a doctor. Glad she wasn't on a road somewhere.

I'll be plenty grumpy about it if/when i get held up but I'm not going to do anything about it except be extremely careful around a road biker. Some of them move a full 2ft sideways when reaching for their water bottle. Need to keep on your toes. My fault or not, I don't want to run anyone over.

Last edited by yz9890; 09-02-2013 at 22:35..
yz9890 is offline   Reply With Quote