SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-01-2013, 20:31   #101
GVFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
I hate the spandex bicyclists. I ride a powered bike that is able to keep up with the flow of traffic. Nothing worse than a nice ride up to Canyon Lake, taking a sweeping turn, and run into a bunch of dicks on pedal bikes going ten miles an hour uphill, forcing me into the other lane which very well might have traffic heading right toward me. You guys need to stay OFF the roads made for vehicle traffic at posted speeds.
What is a powered bike? Like a Moped? Pic?

http://www.specialops.org/
GVFlyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 20:45   #102
Jack Ryan
Get off my lawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVFlyer View Post
What is a powered bike? Like a Moped? Pic?
Those unlicensed, uninsured, morons on mopeds and drunkcycles are the wort thing on the road any where. They have an entire floor dedicated to them in most larger hospitals.

The would make great organ donors but you can't tell the difference when they pass over to brain dead.
Jack Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 20:50   #103
Illini_Glock
USAF Veteran

Most of the guys around here that ride the glorified mopeds do it on the sidewalk and cause more issues than the 'dicks' who are going 10 miles an hour uphill.
Illini_Glock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 21:34   #104
AZ Husker

I meant my Harley. Now keep your spanex ass out of my way.

Last edited by AZ Husker; 09-01-2013 at 21:35..
AZ Husker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 21:37   #105
arizona_andy
Caliber Realist

Yep.. It absolutely boggles my mind how people can ride 1ft away from vehicles moving 50mph -- especially when there is a wide open bike lane to their right. But no, they ride right on the line, or even in my lane. Coming around a blind corner only to find a bike rider going 5-10mph in your lane, and oncoming traffic in the other lane, is not too fun. I just can't understand why these people don't understand how dangerous this behavior is. I firmly believe that the roads should be for motor vehicles ONLY.

"Only tyrants need fear tyrant-killers."
arizona_andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 21:42   #106
Diesel McBadass
Tactically Epic

If you can bike speed of traffic and follow rules, i have no problem with you, if you go ten in a fifty and run red lights i will laugh when your hit by a car.
Old 09-01-2013, 23:32   #107
costanza187
I like Macs

It can definitely can cause a safety issue. A few years ago I learned that first-hand. Somebody tried to pass a bicycle using the lane I was occupying. Somehow we all 3 managed to miss each other in what could have been bad for all of us.

I guess the same hazard is caused by any slow-moving vehicle, they cause people to try to pass in un-safe situations.
Old 09-01-2013, 23:32   #108
Harper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
I hate the spandex bicyclists. I ride a powered bike that is able to keep up with the flow of traffic.
There are a few motorcyclists who act like they're part of a special interest group. I got behind a small group (three) of bikers on the interstate the other day who clogged up the left lane for about 15 miles. One dude was even blocking in the right lane at some point so no one could go around them.
Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 00:45   #109
AZ Husker

There are buttholes in every crowd from golfers to bikers. But the pedal bikers are by far the most inconsiderate and dangerous bunch on the road. Motorist swerve to miss them and end up in accidents while the cyclist just rides away. And where did they ever get the right to run every red light?
Old 09-02-2013, 06:14   #110
packinaglock
John 3:16 <><

Quote:
Originally Posted by G30SF/F-250 View Post
My big truck + a bicycle + oncoming traffic = someone going offroad.

And it won't be me........

I don't worry about the rest.
Ditto!

Around here you're actually awarded points for each cyclist.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:41   #111
paynter2
It ain't over

I see bikes (mostly) from my pedestrian view. I hate them. Walking on a city sidewalk puts you in constant danger of some Lance Armstrong wannabe - all decked out in spandex. Or, some kid with no idea of the damage he and his bike could cause if they hit you.

City traffic noise makes it impossible to hear them - and, at least, in St. Paul it's illegal to ride on the sidewalk without a permit. Yah - I wonder how many tickets the cops wrote so far this year. Hell, their bike patrol rides on the sidewalks.

All that said, when I'm driving and see a bike, I give them all the room they need. I'm patient and wait until is safe for me to go around them without putting them in danger. Talk all you want, but you don't want to be the one who kills/injures a cyclist. Learn to switch it off when you see one of them on the road. You'd want driver's to afford that to your kids.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:17   #112
Dan_ntx

Road bikers make me nervous. Too many get run down by drivers who have no business driving (around here) and when I see them riding my fatherly instincts kick in and I feel like I do when I see a kid running alone in a parking lot. No fault of the bikers, at least around here, but I wish they had bike lanes...although I'm not sure drunks can tell the difference.

I have friends that are roadies...I ride a mountain bike but am a clydesdale so I don't get too crazy...and their "new" trend is to ride in some of the larger housing communities we have here, gated if possible. We have nice neighborhoods that are 3-400 homes with one or two entry and exit roads and they are pretty quiet at dawn. Fewer drunks and only the landscapers, trash trucks, and soccer moms to avoid.

The problem here is also the heat...to not die of heat stroke lots of them ride at dawn, which is when the power drunks are out. Like doing roadwork at 2am when the bars close...it's a reciepe for disaster.
Dan_ntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:19   #113
PostsOnPercocet

Quote:
Originally Posted by amd65 View Post
Lighten up, leave the bikers alone.

Screw that, and screw bikers. They are the biggest bunch of selfish, arrogant, jerks on the road.

I just LOVE how it can sometimes take you miles to get around one and then he (illegally) lane splits at the red light and get in front of you again. If there is space I always pull way over so they can't do it. I love the dirty looks I get.

Oh, and I love 4 way stops and red light. The spandex must cut off circulation because they obviously think rules don't apply to them. If a bicyclist tries to blow through a 4 way when it's my turn I go and watch them dive out of the way. And if they think they are going to yell and be a tough guy about it I gladly stop and give them the chance. Not to many takers when they see 6'9" 260lbs of muscle.

And the speedlimit thing....yeah....newsflash. I have the right to go the posted speed limit unless a cop or weather says otherwise. YOU don't get to dictate what speed I go. It's called impeding traffic and it's a citable offense.

And when they ride side by side....another one of my favorites. I'm very versed in NY bike law and I know that they are allowed to ride two abreast they have to go back to single file when a car is coming up behind them. Do they do that? NEVER. Which is fine. Train horn up the ass for them.

I could go on and on.

I don't mean to try and be the ITG, but there are very few things that tee me off more than selfish, arrogant people who think the world revolves around them.

Oh, and if you really want your blood to boil look up news stories on the idiot group "Critical Mass". They form huge groups and purposely clog the roads in cities because they are freaking babies who want to stomp their feet to get attention.

Sorry bicyclists, you bring the hate upon yourselves and it's well deserved.
PostsOnPercocet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:22   #114
PostsOnPercocet

Quote:
Originally Posted by costanza187 View Post
It can definitely can cause a safety issue. A few years ago I learned that first-hand. Somebody tried to pass a bicycle using the lane I was occupying. Somehow we all 3 managed to miss each other in what could have been bad for all of us.

I guess the same hazard is caused by any slow-moving vehicle, they cause people to try to pass in un-safe situations.

That's another thing that gets me going. If there is a blockage on your side of the road you don't get to go into the opposite lane, into oncoming traffic, just because you feel you are to important to stop and wait.

Again, it all boils down to selfish, arrogant people who think the world revolves around them.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:23   #115
PostsOnPercocet

Quote:
Originally Posted by tslex View Post
We have great, wide, freshly paved bike lanes which are routinely ignored by anyone wearing spandex. Great hordes of bike riders will stretch across the traffic lane, running 15 mph or so. Woe betide you if you try to pass.

I asked a buddy who rides, why not use the safer, provided bike lane where they exist? [If there is no bike lane, I get it. But the lanes here are huge.]

He said: "Well, we like to go pretty fast, and to have a set pace, and not have to slow and stop and start. Often the bike lane will have kids or joggers or families using it and they go slower than we do. So we have to really slow down when we encounter them, and they don't make way for us coming up behind them. So it's not safe to ride your bike in a lane with so many people going so slowly."

"Um," says I. "You do see, don't you, that this exactly the same trouble with having a pack of bicycle riders in the regular traffic lane, right?"

"No!" he protested. "That is completely different. We have a right to be in the traffic lane."

Sigh. Really no point in trying to explain further, I think.

Tell him he is wrong, at least in NY. The law specifically states they must use the bike lane first over the road if there is a bike lane.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:24   #116
Dan_ntx

Quote:
Originally Posted by PostsOnPercocet View Post
Screw that, and screw bikers. They are the biggest bunch of selfish, arrogant, jerks on the road.

I just LOVE how it can sometimes take you miles to get around one and then he (illegally) lane splits at the red light and get in front of you again. If there is space I always pull way over so they can't do it. I love the dirty looks I get.

Oh, and I love 4 way stops and red light. The spandex must cut off circulation because they obviously think rules don't apply to them. If a bicyclist tries to blow through a 4 way when it's my turn I go and watch them dive out of the way. And if they think they are going to yell and be a tough guy about it I gladly stop and give them the chance. Not to many takers when they see 6'9" 260lbs of muscle.

And the speedlimit thing....yeah....newsflash. I have the right to go the posted speed limit unless a cop or weather says otherwise. YOU don't get to dictate what speed I go. It's called impeding traffic and it's a citable offense.

And when they ride side by side....another one of my favorites. I'm very versed in NY bike law and I know that they are allowed to ride two abreast they have to go back to single file when a car is coming up behind them. Do they do that? NEVER. Which is fine. Train horn up the ass for them.

I could go on and on.

I don't mean to try and be the ITG, but there are very few things that tee me off more than selfish, arrogant people who think the world revolves around them.

Oh, and if you really want your blood to boil look up news stories on the idiot group "Critical Mass". They form huge groups and purposely clog the roads in cities because they are freaking babies who want to stomp their feet to get attention.

Sorry bicyclists, you bring the hate upon yourselves and it's well deserved.
Stay in New York... You wouldn't last long down here.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:25   #117
PostsOnPercocet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berto View Post
It helps to understand where your money is going;
The overwhelming majority of your taxes you pay in gas, lic/reg and all the other BS attached to owning your Hog pays for interstates and highways- how many cyclist you seeing there?
The places where cyclist piss you off is usually the local roads which are supported by general taxes paid by everyone....whether you drive, walk or bike.
Bicycles don't burn gas, weigh hundreds of lbs or make much noise, they don't contribute wear or demand the infrastructure autos need. Not to mention, most cyclist use cars too. Crazy, right?

Irrelavant. They don't have lights,(at least most I see), they don't have signals, they aren't registered, and they don't carry insurance.

They have no business on the road without those things.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:30   #118
MoCop

All cyclists need to understand that they are operating a vehicle and should heed to the same traffic laws motorists have to follow. Sadly, many of them disregard the laws because they are not operating a "motorized" vehicle and whip through intersections, disregard stop signs and impede the flow of traffic. They need to follow the traffic laws also and stay in their designated bike lanes as they can be a nuisance.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:30   #119
PostsOnPercocet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffyfan View Post
Typical bullying behavior. Do you menace old people in crosswalks too? After all they're holding you up.

No, it's called people getting what they deserve. People in crosswalks are doing it legally. Bicyclists that do illegal things get what they deserve.

Again, people don't secretly meet in the middle of the night and randomly choose bicyclists to pick on. You act like a jerk, you get treated like a jerk. It's a simply formula that works most of the time.

In 19 years of driving, I can count on two hands the number of law abiding bikes I've encountered on the road.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:31   #120
badge315

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Ryan View Post
Those unlicensed, uninsured, morons on mopeds and drunkcycles are the wort thing on the road any where. They have an entire floor dedicated to them in most larger hospitals.

The would make great organ donors but you can't tell the difference when they pass over to brain dead.
The Okie Corral

- The Loc-Nar
badge315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:31   #121
PostsOnPercocet

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoCop View Post
All cyclists need to understand that they are operating a vehicle and should heed to the same traffic laws motorists have to follow. Sadly, many of them disregard the laws because they are not operating a "motorized" vehicle and whip through intersections, disregard stop signs and impede the flow of traffic. They need to follow the traffic laws also and stay in their designated bike lanes as they can be a nuisance.

You know, when they do follow the rules, they really aren't a problem at all.

They don't seem to get it, but when they follow the rules they don't get in anyone's way, and they don't piss off anyone.

Try explaining that to one of them, though.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:33   #122
PostsOnPercocet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ntx View Post
Stay in New York... You wouldn't last long down here.

I've been all over the country. Like I said, a big mouth is a big mouth until it's time to actually dance. At least from my experience.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:43   #123
amd65

Send a message via Yahoo to amd65
I was riding a bicycle through a suburban neighborhood once...went through a two way stop intersection where a minivan was waiting at the stop sign.
The driver thought it was a four way and that I should have stopped (he was wrong).
He began chasing me and cursing me. For a while it was fun, as I hopped curbs and changed direction while he kept trying to turn around and get at me, yelling all the time.
Finally I stopped...he jumped out carrying a foot long piece of thick steel cable with tape wrapped around one end for a grip.
I was standing with my bike between us...when he got close, I picked up my bike and shoved the front chain cog in his face...didn't hit him, just gave him a heads up...
He cursed me again, got in his van and took off.
Shortly after, a police car showed up (Pre cellphone days, somebody in a house called).
I told him what happened and about the piece of cable, and the cop took off in pursuit.
This isn't the only encounter I have had riding, where my actions had nothing to do with the actions of the driver. It one other time.
I was riding in the country...wide open two lane road, no traffic. Beater car full of yahoos comes from behind and begins messing with me.
They pulled to the side about 50yds in fron of me, I took the opportunity to pull down a deserted country side road.
When I saw them back up and pull down the road, I got off my bike and positioned myself partially in a ditch.
That day, I had been shooting a 380 1911 clone, which I grabbed and loaded, but did not display...they stopped about 25yds away and shouted some trash talk, then backed up and took off.
Based on my experience riding both motorcycles and bicycles, bad car/two wheeler interactions are usually the four wheelers fault.
It's a big world, live and let live.
And, if you want to mess with bikers, think about how many threads there are, even here, about CCW on a bike...do you really want to cause a shooting due to your road rage and inability to deal with what is really a minor inconvenience?

Last edited by amd65; 09-02-2013 at 08:45..
amd65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:10   #124
Dan_ntx

Quote:
Originally Posted by PostsOnPercocet View Post
I've been all over the country. Like I said, a big mouth is a big mouth until it's time to actually dance. At least from my experience.
You've certainly proved you have one.

Didn't it feel strange writing your long winded post admitting that you act like a petulant child, break traffic laws, and threaten other people like a schoolyard bully? I would expect that response from a 12 year old, but you said you have been driving for 19 years. I get that in your area there are cyclist idiots on some kind of social justice mission...but that doesn't make your admitted actions or attitude right.

You could have just typed "I'm a D-bag, I drive like a D-bag, and am proud of it"... It would have been faster.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:14   #125
ray9898

No wonder we make so many road rage arrests in my area. Apparently everyone becomes a bad ass who easily lose their mind when they are driving. I could never believe people got so worked up over such petty things on the road, this topic proves it is more common than I thought.

Last edited by ray9898; 09-02-2013 at 09:35..
ray9898 is offline   Reply With Quote