GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-01-2013, 13:39   #76
tslex

We have great, wide, freshly paved bike lanes which are routinely ignored by anyone wearing spandex. Great hordes of bike riders will stretch across the traffic lane, running 15 mph or so. Woe betide you if you try to pass.

I asked a buddy who rides, why not use the safer, provided bike lane where they exist? [If there is no bike lane, I get it. But the lanes here are huge.]

He said: "Well, we like to go pretty fast, and to have a set pace, and not have to slow and stop and start. Often the bike lane will have kids or joggers or families using it and they go slower than we do. So we have to really slow down when we encounter them, and they don't make way for us coming up behind them. So it's not safe to ride your bike in a lane with so many people going so slowly."

"Um," says I. "You do see, don't you, that this exactly the same trouble with having a pack of bicycle riders in the regular traffic lane, right?"

"No!" he protested. "That is completely different. We have a right to be in the traffic lane."

Sigh. Really no point in trying to explain further, I think.
tslex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 13:45   #77
AZ Husker

dupicate, sorry

Last edited by AZ Husker; 09-01-2013 at 13:48.. Reason: dupe
AZ Husker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 13:47   #78
AZ Husker

Still waiting for a cyclist to tell me why he has the right to the road without paying taxes or license fees. My Harley looks huge next to one, but we really take up about the same space. Why do I have to fork out hundreds of dollars to use the roads and they get by scott free? And create a traffic hazard while doing it!
Old 09-01-2013, 13:57   #79
moishlashen
Senile Member

I am a biker and I live in an area with a very high biking population. I also drive about 70 miles/day. I almost never see bikers causing any kind of problems in the road. When I bike I stay off the road as much as possible and use common sense with some survival instincts mixed in.

Some of you dudes sound like you'd be happy to take a biker out
moishlashen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 13:57   #80
LASTRESORT20
LongTerm-Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagnarDanneskjold View Post
I ride a bicycle to the grocery and back. No car-driver has ever been inconvenienced by this. I stay out of their way, because in a collision, I will lose.

Your a smart person.....

I gave a thumbs up today to folks riding their bikes on the sidewalk...

But then today (at a red light) I seen a Bike rider go through the red light and take up a whole lane on the road...where folks had to brake..and try to work their way around him....While at home looking at the local news a few days later...I read where "another" Bicyclist is sadly killed on the road in an accident....and the beat goes on sadly. When I ride a Bicycle it will always be on the side walk and *never ever on the road....just to dangerous....being dead but "Legally right" is not good.....SHTF scenario I would take my chances...

Last edited by LASTRESORT20; 09-01-2013 at 14:02..
LASTRESORT20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 14:17   #81
happyguy
Na Ben Don Chat

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
Still waiting for a cyclist to tell me why he has the right to the road without paying taxes or license fees. My Harley looks huge next to one, but we really take up about the same space. Why do I have to fork out hundreds of dollars to use the roads and they get by scott free? And create a traffic hazard while doing it!
It's called public access.

Regards,
Happyguy
Old 09-01-2013, 14:32   #82
Berto
woo woo

Quote:
It helps to understand where your money is going;
The overwhelming majority of your taxes you pay in gas, lic/reg and all the other BS attached to owning your Hog pays for interstates and highways- how many cyclist you seeing there?
The places where cyclist piss you off is usually the local roads which are supported by general taxes paid by everyone....whether you drive, walk or bike.
Bicycles don't burn gas, weigh hundreds of lbs or make much noise, they don't contribute wear or demand the infrastructure autos need. Not to mention, most cyclist use cars too. Crazy, right?
Berto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 15:32   #83
RagnarDanneskjold
Pirate

Quote:
I'm current on the registration and insurance for my car. The law doesn't require it for my bicycle. If you wish to ask your reps to alter the law, I have no problem with that, but as I type this I'm about to save some fossil fuels by riding my bike to the grocery and back. (I don't think having a financial incentive to use less fuel is a bad thing.) As usual, I'll be staying out of cars way while doing so. I don't see this creating a problem. I'm personally far more annoyed by drivers who park in the left lane at five mph below the limit. It's not the mode of transport I think is bothering you. Blaming me for the actions of other people on bicycles makes about as much sense as blaming all gun owners for the actions of criminals. Have a nice day.

ETA, How far do we take it? I walk along the sides of public roads, too, on public sidewalks. Should I have to register my shoes?

Last edited by RagnarDanneskjold; 09-01-2013 at 16:26..
RagnarDanneskjold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 15:52   #84
GVFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LASTRESORT20 View Post
Your a smart person.....

I gave a thumbs up today to folks riding their bikes on the sidewalk...
When I ride a Bicycle it will always be on the side walk and *never ever on the road...
In my state, riding on sidewalks is allowed only in residential areas unless locally restricted.

It is restricted in my community but the city has constructed nearly 200 miles of bike trails connecting our subdivisions and parks. There are plans to connect our bike trails to those of neighboring communities.

Seems a good solution even though I was struck by a truck while on a bike trail 3 years ago. The A-hole was cited, but that didn't make my shoulder heal any faster.

http://www.specialops.org/
GVFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 16:00   #85
RonS

Bicyclists scare me more than semis. I more than share the road with them, I give them a wide berth whenever it is safe. I have hit dogs, I have no desire to hear someone's head hit my hood.

Most around here are courteous and follow the laws except for kids, and kids are kids. I appreciate the ones who can ride a straight line on the white line and not bob back and forth. I appreciate the ones who have lights and reflectors on their bikes. I appreciate the ones who look before they cross roads. I don't insist that they stop for every stop sign, I delivered papers on a 50# bike when I was a kid, I remember that whole torque vs personpower thing coming off of a stop.
Old 09-01-2013, 16:25   #86
M&P15T
Beard One

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakrat View Post
you name fits you quite well. you might want to read up on you state's drivers handbook when you get a chance. also read up on road bikes. those things that has skinny tires with 120 psi of pressure. *hint* they dont go on the sidewalk. thats where your walmart huffy bikes go.
Yeah? And?

I don't give a rat's patootie about skinny tires or 120 PSI of pressure in them. The road is for motorized vehicles that can do the damned speed limit, and get there quickly.

Other than that, stay the hell off the road.
Old 09-01-2013, 16:29   #87
RagnarDanneskjold
Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&P15T View Post
Yeah? And?

I don't give a rat's patootie about skinny tires or 120 PSI of pressure in them. The road is for motorized vehicles that can do the damned speed limit, and get there quickly.

I don't believe the law supports your position.
Old 09-01-2013, 16:37   #88
M&P15T
Beard One

Quote:
Which state's laws?

Oh, I'm sorry. Since I can't tell where you live due to your paranoid delusions of anyone giving a damn where you live or who you are based on your GT persona, I haven't a clue what we're talking about.

And there are tons of laws that are beyond common sense, steeped into stupidity, and based on political correctness.

And it's not about laws, it's about common sense and not being a asshat to people that need to get where they're going.

Last edited by M&P15T; 09-01-2013 at 16:38..
M&P15T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 16:51   #89
podwich

Quote:
I'm current on the registration and insurance for my car. The law doesn't require it for my bicycle. If you wish to ask your reps to alter the law, I have no problem with that, but as I type this I'm about to save some fossil fuels by riding my bike to the grocery and back. (I don't think having a financial incentive to use less fuel is a bad thing.) As usual, I'll be staying out of cars way while doing so. I don't see this creating a problem. I'm personally far more annoyed by drivers who park in the left lane at five mph below the limit. It's not the mode of transport I think is bothering you. Blaming me for the actions of other people on bicycles makes about as much sense as blaming all gun owners for the actions of criminals. Have a nice day.

ETA, How far do we take it? I walk along the sides of public roads, too, on public sidewalks. Should I have to register my shoes?
Simply don't impede the flow of traffic- whether you're in a car, truck, motorcycle, bicycle, or shoes.

I don't get why this concept is so difficult to understand (not blaming you as you state above that you stay out of the way of cars).
podwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 16:53   #90
RagnarDanneskjold
Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by podwich View Post
Simply don't impede the flow of traffic- whether you're in a car, truck, motorcycle, bicycle, or shoes.

I don't get why this concept is so difficult to understand (not blaming you as you state above that you stay out of the way of cars).
Fair enough. I'm not arguing for blocking traffic.
Old 09-01-2013, 17:11   #91
moishlashen
Senile Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&P15T View Post
Yeah? And?

moishlashen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 17:22   #92
GVFlyer

Quote:
These are the highlights of laws in my state pertaining to bicycle operation.
  1. Ride on the right with traffic; obey all traffic signs and signals; bicyclists have all rights and duties of any other vehicle driver.
  2. Legal lights and reflectors are required at night.
  3. A continuous arm signal is required during last 100 feet prior to a turn or lane change (unless the arm is needed to control the bike) and while stopped, waiting to turn.
  4. On roadways cyclists may ride two abreast but can't impede normal and reasonable movement of traffic. Cyclists must ride in a single lane.
  5. Ride as close as practicable to the right hand curb or the edge of roadway except:
    • When overtaking a vehicle;
    • When preparing for a left turn; or
    • When necessary to avoid conditions that make it unsafe such as fixed or moving objects, surface hazards, or narrow-width lanes.
  6. Yield to pedestrians on sidewalks and crosswalks; give an audible signal when necessary before overtaking.
  7. No hitching rides on other vehicles.
  8. Only one person is allowed on a bike unless equipped for more, or if a legal baby seat is used.
  9. Dont carry anything that prevents keeping one hand on the handlebars or impedes proper operation of brakes.
  10. Brakes must allow skidding on dry, level, clean pavement.
  11. Handlebars must not be above shoulder level.
  12. Bicycle size must allow safe operation.
  13. Bicycle parking on sidewalks is allowed, as long as 1) it does not impede normal and reasonable movement of pedestrian or other traffic, and 2) unless it is locally restricted.
  14. Legal parking on a roadway that does not obstruct legally parked motor vehicles is allowable.
  15. Safe bicycle events approved by local authorities, which do not seriously inconvenience other highway users, are not unlawful. Traffic laws can be waived.
  16. When passing a bicycle or pedestrian, motor vehicles shall leave at least 3 feet clearance until safely past the bicycle or pedestrian.
  17. No person shall ride a bicycle upon a sidewalk within a business district. Local authorities may prohibit the operation of bicycles on any sidewalk or crosswalk under their jurisdiction.
The bicycle club I ride with does a pretty good job of complying with the law. Now if the guys on road skis would just get themselves under control.

Old 09-01-2013, 17:28   #93
ray9898

There are plenty of dicks on the road....some ride bicycles....some drive f-250's. The only thing different is the mode of transportation.
ray9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 17:33   #94
RagnarDanneskjold
Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray9898 View Post
There are plenty of dicks on the road....some ride bicycles....some drive f-250's. The only thing different is the mode of transportation.
That was much more clear and succinct than I managed it, thank you.
Old 09-01-2013, 17:39   #95
jdavionic
NRA Member

Well, I'm one of "those people on bikes". When the weather is right, I commute to work on a bike 24 miles total per day with lots of hills. Damn good work out.

That said, I pick out the path that has the bike lanes and or sidewalks. Bikes on sidewalks are against the law here; however there are certain areas where I'd rather get a ticket versus getting killed. Almost got tagged by a lady in a Lincoln Navigator one time that was texting and drifted into the bike lane.

I am extremely defensive on a bike. Bike vs. Car...car wins every time. With that, it means that when in doubt, I let cars go...even though I may have the right of way. For example, there is a very busy intersection that I go through. I ought to be able to go straight, according to the law. However if I do go straight, I stand a high probability of getting run over by the numerous vehicles that are busy cutting each other off to get into the right turn lane and turn right. So I actually go up on the crosswalk, hit the button for the light, and wait. It adds time to my commute, but I have a much better chance of surviving.

"No matter how bad it gets, if you're still alive it's just another bad day."
jdavionic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 18:10   #96
badge315

While conducting surveillance, I once witnessed a bicycle vs. car collision. The bike rider blew through a stop sign, right into the side of a car passing through the intersection. He was not seriously injured, but his bike was pretty significantly fubar'd. Once the cyclist dusted himself off he started giving the driver a hard time and blaming him for the crash.

At that point I decided to interject myself into the situation, and walked up to the driver and handed him my business card. Then I looked right at the cyclist and told the driver "if you need a witness, I saw the whole thing".

I never did hear anything more about it, so I assume that the cyclist revised his version of events.

- The Loc-Nar
badge315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 18:30   #97
porschedog

I tend to be a better driver due to my time on my Harley. Unlike the crotch rocket organ donor bunch, cruisers tend to stay at or near speed limits and tend to avoid cars and trucks.
Just sayin

NRA Life Member / Creepy-Ass Cracker
Florida Glockers #172126
porschedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 18:39   #98
GVFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by badge315 View Post
While conducting surveillance, I once witnessed a bicycle vs. car collision. The bike rider blew through a stop sign, right into the side of a car passing through the intersection. He was not seriously injured, but his bike was pretty significantly fubar'd. Once the cyclist dusted himself off he started giving the driver a hard time and blaming him for the crash.

At that point I decided to interject myself into the situation, and walked up to the driver and handed him my business card. Then I looked right at the cyclist and told the driver "if you need a witness, I saw the whole thing".

I never did hear anything more about it, so I assume that the cyclist revised his version of events.
These are the kind of events I see reported much more commonly.

The Okie Corral

Jessica Hanson, 24, killed while bicycling in hit and run near Lyn-Lake.

http://blogs.citypages.com/blotter/2...r_lyn-lake.php

The Okie Corral

Driver who hit Elyse Stern charged with felony hit and run, but not homicide

http://blogs.citypages.com/blotter/2...t_homicide.php

The Okie Corral
25-Year-Old U Of M Student Struck, Killed In Dinkytown

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2011/0...-in-dinkytown/

Last edited by GVFlyer; 09-01-2013 at 18:42..
Old 09-01-2013, 19:01   #99
AZ Husker

I hate the spandex bicyclists. I ride a powered bike that is able to keep up with the flow of traffic. Nothing worse than a nice ride up to Canyon Lake, taking a sweeping turn, and run into a bunch of dicks on pedal bikes going ten miles an hour uphill, forcing me into the other lane which very well might have traffic heading right toward me. You guys need to stay OFF the roads made for vehicle traffic at posted speeds.
Old 09-01-2013, 20:02   #100
Gareth68

Send a message via Yahoo to Gareth68

The spandex wearing bicyclists are obviously male stewardesses...

BTW,

I wear mountain bike gear...on my mountain bike.

My spandex is covered up by nice stylish light cargo shorts.

I ride a bit of road before I can hit the trail.

I have a nice mirror so I can get the hell out of the way of cars as much as possible.

I have the brightest damn lights available for reasonable money.

It is easy to see and get around me.

I'm not a big fan of the ricky road racer types that hog the road either.

A bicycle doesn't take up much tarmac....unless the operator makes it take up extra tarmac.