GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-01-2013, 07:11   #26
nursetim

I wonder what substituting beef jerky for ham in Eric's recipe would taste like.

Here's what I'm having today...............green tea and seltzer water. It's my day to fast, because I can and yesterday was my cheat day.
Old 09-01-2013, 07:53   #27
bucky_925

Send a message via AIM to bucky_925 Send a message via Yahoo to bucky_925

I grill a lot, partly because I enjoy it and partly because there is no mess to clean up. It's just my wife and I also. I do everything from pizza to meatloaf on the grill.
Last night I bought a nice tuna steak $4 and a fresh chicken breast $2. Cooked the chicken then brought the grill up to 600 deg. and seared the tuna about 1 min. per side. Steamed some fresh veggies from a friends garden $0, and angel hair pasta. Great meal that would coast you $40 at a nice restaurant and IMO better.
bucky_925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:58   #28
Steel Head
Tactical Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky_925 View Post
I grill a lot, partly because I enjoy it and partly because there is no mess to clean up. It's just my wife and I also. I do everything from pizza to meatloaf on the grill.
Last night I bought a nice tuna steak $4 and a fresh chicken breast $2. Cooked the chicken then brought the grill up to 600 deg. and seared the tuna about 1 min. per side. Steamed some fresh veggies from a friends garden $0, and angel hair pasta. Great meal that would coast you $40 at a nice restaurant and IMO better.
I've grilled a few pizzas
I was impressed.
I also did flautas a few times in the grill
Old 09-01-2013, 08:11   #29
plp

One of my favorite crock pot recipes is about as simple as it gets. Put a pack of Italian sausage in the bottom, add two cans of great northern beans and two cans of sliced potatoes. Add beef broth until there is about an inch of broth covering everything. Turn it on low and let cook all day, then about 30 minutes before eating turn it on high for 15 minutes, then turn it off and let it rest for 15 minutes.

Serve with fresh french or Italian bread and a salad.

I always hold off on adding seasoning to anything (like the Italian sausage and beef broth) that is already spiced, and only put salt on the table for everyone to season to taste.
plp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:27   #30
Patchman
Florist

Pre-cooked beans is good bachelor food because they store well in the freezer. We always have some variation of chili in the freezer. We bought a stack of those large plastic soup containers from Amazon. One of those containers will feed the family. Chili is good with bread, over rice and even over spaghetti.

Just make sure you rinse, and rinse, and rinse the beans well before cooking. Nothing worse than taking a bite and tasting sand or gritty stuff.

And thank YOU for being perfect, all the time, every time. Go forth and reproduce. We need more of you.
Patchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:32   #31
Patchman
Florist

Quote:
Originally Posted by plp View Post
One of my favorite crock pot recipes is about as simple as it gets. Put a pack of Italian sausage in the bottom, add two cans of great northern beans and two cans of sliced potatoes. Add beef broth until there is about an inch of broth covering everything. Turn it on low and let cook all day, then about 30 minutes before eating turn it on high for 15 minutes, then turn it off and let it rest for 15 minutes.

Serve with fresh french or Italian bread and a salad.
Guess what I'm having for dinner tomorrow!!!!!!

Quote:
I always hold off on adding seasoning to anything (like the Italian sausage and beef broth) that is already spiced, and only put salt on the table for everyone to season to taste.
I agree with not adding additional salt. Canned tomatoes have a ton of sodium. A lot of Italian sausages (and sausages in general) also have very high salt content. Better to enhance the final taste with grated cheeses.

And thank YOU for being perfect, all the time, every time. Go forth and reproduce. We need more of you.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:27   #32
RagnarDanneskjold
Pirate

Thanks to everyone who's contributed so far, some good ideas here.
Old 09-01-2013, 12:21   #33
ClydeG19

I second the crockpot. There's a lot of simple recipes you can make with it. One of my favorites is simply some chicken breasts and salsa. Toss 3 frozen chicken breasts and a jar of whatever salsa you like and cook on low for at least 4 hours. You can use it on chips, tortillas w/ whatever fixings you want.
ClydeG19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 12:51   #34
Gregg702
Gold Membership

Tonight we are having ribeye steaks in a peppercorn marinade, and mushroom and zuccini skewers, done on my new grill.
Old 09-01-2013, 13:10   #35
RagnarDanneskjold
Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg702 View Post
Tonight we are having ribeye steaks in a peppercorn marinade, and mushroom and zuccini skewers, done on my new grill.
Tonight I'm doing spaghetti, making sauce myself with venison sausage in it.
Old 09-01-2013, 13:13   #36
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

My most versatile tip

Marinated chicken breasts on the grill.

They can be used multiple ways:
  • Eat them straight up
  • Slice and put on top of a salad
  • Slice (thick or thin) and put on top of asian noodles (or what ever type of noodles/pasta turn your crank)
  • Put between bread/bun for a sandwich
  • Sliced and used in tacos or pita bread
  • Put with steamed vegetables and add teriyaki sauce

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

"A person who won't reason has no advantage over one who can't reason."

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”

Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn:
Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?

Last edited by TBO; 09-01-2013 at 13:16..
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 13:13   #37
oldgraywolf
NRA, SAF

Summer vegetables and pasta, super easy. Cut up any combination of the following into small pieces: asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower, red bell pepper, summer squash of your choice, scallions, whatever else floats your boat. Mince fresh basil leaves and some fresh parsley, more of the former.

Sautee' a chopped onion in olive oil, when it's clear add fresh minced garlic and turn off the heat so the garlic doesn't get bitter and grind in some fresh black pepper and red pepper flakes.

Cook pasta of your choice, al dente. I prefer linguini.

When the pasta is done, drain it and add it to the pan with the onions and garlic, toss in all the stuff in the first paragraph and heat it up a bit. The veggies will be pretty much raw but warm, don't cook it all to hell.

Serve with freshly grated parmesan and diced up grape tomatoes on top. It's easy, tasty and nutritious.

definatally
rediculas
theirs'

Last edited by oldgraywolf; 09-01-2013 at 16:43..
oldgraywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 16:23   #38
MichiganJFrog
Dancing Frog

Take thick pork chops, cut pocket in them
Season with salt, pepper, ground thyme
Sear in skillet

Dice green apple, bell pepper, onion, garlic, bacon
Cook bacon, sauté veggies in same pan with bacon
Tighten this up with a little bread crumbs
Stuff in chops, finish in oven

When cooked, remove and let rest
In the pan you cooked in, add white wine, cream,saffron
Reduce, put chops in sauce

I like grilled squash or green beans as a side

P.s. down here, dinner is lunch, the evening meal is supper
Old 09-01-2013, 16:38   #39
RagnarDanneskjold
Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganJFrog View Post
Take thick pork chops, cut pocket in them
Season with salt, pepper, ground thyme
Sear in skillet

Dice green apple, bell pepper, onion, garlic, bacon
Cook bacon, sauté veggies in same pan with bacon
Tighten this up with a little bread crumbs
Stuff in chops, finish in oven

When cooked, remove and let rest
In the pan you cooked in, add white wine, cream,saffron
Reduce, put chops in sauce

I like grilled squash or green beans as a side

P.s. down here, dinner is lunch, the evening meal is supper
Sounds delicious! I'll call it supper next time, lol. Fortunately GTers are pretty smart and even the Southern ones seem to have been able to figure out what I meant.
Old 09-01-2013, 16:44   #40
Dave.1

PIZZA!
The Okie Corral

Dave
Dave.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 16:49   #41
2bgop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave.1 View Post
PIZZA!
The Okie Corral

Dave
That looks outstanding.
2bgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 16:57   #42
RagnarDanneskjold
Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bgop View Post
That looks outstanding.
Yes it does! What did you put on it?
Old 09-01-2013, 16:59   #43
2bgop

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagnarDanneskjold View Post
That was the poster just above me. I was commenting.
2bgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 17:04   #44
Dave.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagnarDanneskjold View Post
Deep dish. Sunday night so I kind of cleared out the 'fridge and covered it with cheese and homemade sauce. Sort of a Sunday tradition.

Dave
Old 09-01-2013, 17:05   #45
RagnarDanneskjold
Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bgop View Post
That was the poster just above me. I was commenting.
I know, I was agreeing with you. Should have addressed Dave separately, sorry.
Old 09-01-2013, 17:08   #46
jtull7
CLM Number 289
Pistolero

I don't know if you have ever heard of it, being Behind the Tofu Curtain, but Frito Pie is a standard hit in West Texas.

Take a large bowl and fill the bottom with about 3/4 inches of standard Fritos. Sprinkle liberally with Tabasco Green sauce. Pour a heated can of Wolf Brand Chili on the Fritos. Cover with grated yellow cheese. Enjoy. Takes about 5 minutes and is cheap.

Every day I face Ogden, Utah, and pray that God might bless John Moses Browning.

Outpost Member #69 I collect and shoot many fine firearms. CCW: NM, CT, and NH. N5JHT. WFR. Former LEO. SAR. Bilateral trans-tibial amputee. Survivor of bubonic plague. Tough sum-*****.
jtull7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 17:21   #47
Patchman
Florist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtull7 View Post
I don't know if you have ever heard of it, being Behind the Tofu Curtain...
Tofu products can actually be pretty good!

Yesterday, for lunch I went to a Chinese (Shanghi) restaurant and ordered squid with pickled cabbage over rice. Along with that that I also ordered a side of "mock duck." That's sautéed chinese mushroom wrapped in tofu skin.

Old 09-01-2013, 17:37   #48
RagnarDanneskjold
Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchman View Post
Tofu products can actually be pretty good!

Yesterday, for lunch I went to a Chinese (Shanghi) restaurant and ordered squid with pickled cabbage over rice. Along with that that I also ordered a side of "mock duck." That's sautéed chinese mushroom wrapped in tofu skin.
Other than in miso soup, I've never been a big fan of it. I don't have a weight problem or other health issue that would make me consider using it as a replacement for meat, I just order the meat. To each his own.
Old 09-01-2013, 17:55   #49
Dave.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtull7 View Post
I don't know if you have ever heard of it, being Behind the Tofu Curtain, but Frito Pie is a standard hit in West Texas.

Take a large bowl and fill the bottom with about 3/4 inches of standard Fritos. Sprinkle liberally with Tabasco Green sauce. Pour a heated can of Wolf Brand Chili on the Fritos. Cover with grated yellow cheese. Enjoy. Takes about 5 minutes and is cheap.
I would certainly eat that. Has all your basic food groups!

Dave
Old 09-01-2013, 20:12   #50
sfguard
Spread Out!

Its just my Daughter and me. I fixed us BBQ ribs with baked taters butter and sour cream, baked beans, corn on the cob, with pecan pie and ice cream for desert. Tomorrow we are having........leftovers! lol I am having trouble getting used to only cooking for two and when one is 8 she dont eat much

Proud Veteran of Operation Noble Eagle, Enduring Freedom, and Iraqi freedom
sfguard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
okie would approve!