SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-28-2013, 02:31   #1
Nalapombu

Quick Question on a PRE-BAN Colt AR....

Hey all,

I have a Colt Lightweight Sporter that is basically MINT with only about 25 rounds through it to test function. It is a PRE-BAN.

What I am wondering is whether the fact that it is a PRE-BAN actually adds any value to it now. I know it did when the original AWB was in effect, but since it expired I figured the pre-ban status of it didn't mean much anymore and probably didn't add any value.

Now that several states have enacted NEW versions of Assault Weapons Bans I am wondering if my Colt AR would be LEGAL in those states that now have in place the new bans. Did those states have AR's that were grandfathered in or did most of them simply write the law where it didn't matter when it was built, it was BANNED?

I have wanted to sell it for a while and get a new Colt AR 6920. I should've sold it during the INSANITY that was going on for anything that even resembled an AR right after NewTown, but I didn't and held onto it because of the uncertainty. I didn't think there would be a new sweeping ban on AR's and AK's, but I wasn't willing to bet my logic and faith in America against the hooligans and Constitutional RAPISTS that occupy our government in these perilous times.

SO, since the AR's are back to normal prices and a new 6920 is selling for about $1,100 now, I am wondering if I could manage to sell my Colt AR for enough that would let me get one now.

Does the PRE-BAN serial number I have add ANY value at all in one of the restrictive states that do have bans in place now?

What do you think?

Thanks for the time.

Nalajr
Old 08-28-2013, 09:34   #2
wct097

Maybe someone from one of the states that still has a ban can weigh in. You may be able to sell it to them as their ban never expired. Not sure if they allow guns from out of state to be sold in-state though. May take some research.
Old 08-28-2013, 22:51   #3
XDRoX

I know you can't sell it here.
XDRoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:51   #4
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
DirtyThirty fan

Pm sent with info............
faawrenchbndr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:59   #5
notjon

I'm in MA, pre-ban colts go for between $1700-2500.
$750 just for the complete lower..
notjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 13:15   #6
MajorD

Afaik the only state pre ban means anything anymore is mass.ny sold us out and now even pre bans owned since the 70's are restricted and need to be registered. Unless we put some ugly non pistol grip thing on it you can't even buy a new one( no legal answer to what if any stock type prevents registration right now) what a mess
Honestly I don't know what gain in performance you would get from a new colt versus what you have
MajorD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 14:23   #7
Nalapombu

I'm not looking for a gain in performance. More CONVENIENCE and ease of use is what I am after.

The Colt I have now has not been fired in probably 10+ years or more. If so, 1 time. Since it is tougher to add an optic and the fixed stock is not comfortable for me with my neck issues, when I handle and mount the new AR's to my shoulder when I go to a store, they are just much more accommodating to my body and limitations than what mine is. I also would like to try the 3 gun thing at some point and to have even the sliightest bit of fun you have to have an optic. I know an optic can be added to mine, but it's pretty darn awkward looking and feeling. It looks like some kinda redneck thrown together type thing.

That's the reason I'd like to get a 6920 other than my AR. Nothing else.

Thanks for all the info and advice.

Nalajr
Old 09-02-2013, 23:39   #8
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Napa,

Is it pre ban with bayonet lug or without? I've seen pre ban with bayo lug that commanded several hundred dollars than pre ban without.

Also what's wrong with getting a new upper and a collapsible stock for your rifle?

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 09-07-2013, 09:16   #9
ricky

My thread got locked just because I asked about my sp1 rifles, don't be surprised the nazis here don't lock yours too.
Old 09-07-2013, 12:46   #10
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

Threads don't get locked for asking questions. Asking stupid ones or the same one repeatedly (among other reasons), do.

A preban rifle would be worth serious money in a ban-never-went-away state. Some, like CA, you can't bring new ones in , even if they're pre-ban I believe, so it'd be state-by-state.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 12:48   #11
ricky

[QUOTE=MrMurphy;20602988]Threads don't get locked for asking questions. Asking stupid ones or the same one repeatedly (among other reasons),

You never bothered to do your research before you judged the thread.