Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-27-2013, 18:38   #1
Skykings2

Household Roach control

Roaches....the neighbors on both sides of us have had their homes sprayed for roaches ,ants etc and while we have seen the occasional bug,{roach} nothing to be to alarmed about till both got sprayed the same day and the safe haven was our place ....so any suggestions for the do it your self roach control?
Skykings2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 18:46   #2
RumRunnerII

Get yourself some nice boots and a good light set of sandals for the wall crawlers...

RumRunnerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 19:12   #3
USMCsilver
I Like Monkeys

Send a message via AIM to USMCsilver Send a message via Yahoo to USMCsilver
Go buy a commercial spray. Use it.

"Kiss my ass, I bought a boat! I'm goin' out to sea..." (Jimmy Buffett covering Lovett)
USMCsilver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 21:33   #4
DIXIE DUCK

There is no single solution to this problem. It is impossible to eliminate, but minimize the source of food for roaches, then put out baits, and also spay chemicals such as home defense inside and out. Professional chems would of course be better. You might still see the occasional insect but if you approach the problem from these angles you will keep the population under control.
Old 08-27-2013, 21:37   #5
Jack Ryan
Get off my lawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skykings2 View Post
Roaches....the neighbors on both sides of us have had their homes sprayed for roaches ,ants etc and while we have seen the occasional bug,{roach} nothing to be to alarmed about till both got sprayed the same day and the safe haven was our place ....so any suggestions for the do it your self roach control?
Go to tractor supply and get a quart bottle of permethrin and a hose end fruit and tree sprayer.

http://www.atozvetsupply.com/Bonide-.../1170-0063.htm

You can get a lot done with that set up. I can spray my entire house from the top peak of the roof to the foundation and a 20 foot band around it pluse the entire detached garage in about 30 minutes. I do it twice a year and fill up the 2 gallon fruit sprayer for spot spraying any individual small bug flare ups in between. That one bottle will do two treatments. My main areas of concern is wood boring bees in the spring and I do a second one after the first freeze when you get the Indian summer warm up and lady bug attack.

Keep the fruit sprayer full and a small spray bottle to hit the pants and hat with it when I head out to the woods to hunt.

The stuff is good for about every thing. Save enough to use inside the house. You never spray it on your skin but you can use an eye dropper full straight from the bottle about once a month on the dog for fleas and ticks. Put it straight on their skin just like you'd use Advantix.

Last edited by Jack Ryan; 08-27-2013 at 21:44..
Jack Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 23:44   #6
Kevinr20

When I purchased my house, there was a disgusting amount of roaches living in every crevice. You could turn the lights on at night and see hundreds if not thousands of them crawling all over the walls, roof, baseboards and even across the carpets. The previous owners were disgusting slobs who let their kids throw food on the ceiling and walls without cleaning it. I can't imagine how they lived here with those roaches.

Before moving in, I purchased some of those bug bombs that fumigate the house. I put one in every room, two in the living room and set them all off. Closed up the house and came back 24 hours later. Dead roaches everywhere. In every cabinet. I vacuumed out thousands from all over the house. Then came back the following night to see how many were crawling around. There were significantly less but still quite a bit around the house. I bombed the house one more time except I put a couple in the attic as well. Once again, lots of dead roaches but it didn't get them all.

Satisfied with the minimal amount of roaches, I moved in a week later and hired a professional exterminator to spray inside/outside every month and set baits. It took about 6 months before I stopped seeing roaches. Many people told me you can never get rid of them completely, just control them. It's been 3 years since I last saw a roach. I still have the exterminator come every other month as a preventive measure.
"The said constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." - Samuel Adams, August 20, 1789
Kevinr20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:08   #7
meathead19

Talstar every few weeks around the house perimeter.

If they do get in, they die very soon.
meathead19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:23   #8
southernshooter

roaches

We bought some of those gadgets that plug in to wall sockets to control roaches and spiders. It does seem like we see little to no roaches compared to summers in the past. Gives off a sound that is in the hearing range of bugs but not dogs or humans.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:25   #9
JBnTX
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skykings2 View Post

....so any suggestions for the do it your self roach control?

Short of burning your house down, there are no effective long term roach control solutions.

It has to be a team effort with your neighbors or you'll just chase them from house to house. Hire a professional and keep up the treatments on a regular basis.

Or just move.

Last edited by JBnTX; 08-28-2013 at 06:27..
JBnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:32   #10
Jake514

Send a message via Yahoo to Jake514
Two things that work for me:
1. I found the few that we did see inside the house probably came in through the sink, shower, and tub drains. Putting in the stopper when not using significantly lowerer the number we see inside the house. If you doubt this, open the manhole cover or clean-out plug in your sanatiary sewer and look inside.

2. I also cut small pieces of hardware cloth (wire), bent and inserted in the brick weep holes in the foundation. It still provides ventilation and air exchange, but the larger cockroaches are kept out. There is a company that makes special plastic inserts for the brick weeps but wire works just as well and is cheaper.
Jake514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:49   #11
Adjuster

They do not come in through sink and tub drains if you have the proper flooded p traps installed. You are correct however that your drain system is full of bugs. I have seen hundreds of videos of household drain systems all with bugs. Especially the vent stacks that run from your drain system up to the roof.

/
Adjuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:24   #12
.264 magnum
CLM Number 121
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBnTX View Post
Short of burning your house down, there are no effective long term roach control solutions.

It has to be a team effort with your neighbors or you'll just chase them from house to house. Hire a professional and keep up the treatments on a regular basis.

Or just move.

Negative. If smart and aggressive and willing to spend a few bucks one can control roach vermin without neighborly help. I know this for a fact because we did it.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:57   #13
Kevinr20

Quote:
Originally Posted by .264 magnum View Post
Negative. If smart and aggressive and willing to spend a few bucks one can control roach vermin without neighborly help. I know this for a fact because we did it.
Same here.
"The said constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." - Samuel Adams, August 20, 1789
Kevinr20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:32   #14
cannoneer

(VIPER) you can use it inside and out side.

I found it at our CO-OP I would think that any farm supply would carry it.
IT WORKS
cannoneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:41   #15
gommer

http://www.demonwp.com/

Picked up a bunch of this after I found a few too many Black Widow spiders in my Garage.

I wanted something that could kill spiders, and this stuff does it.

Don't get me wrong - I love my spiders - but I don't like ones that can really hurt my kids. When I found a giant Black Widow nested in the handle of my (then 10 years old) Son's scooter -- it was time for them to all die.

Sprayed this stuff and didn't see a living bug in my garage for many months. Lots of dead stuff, though.

IMHO, this is the best stuff you can get.
gommer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:02   #16
mhambi
Hegemon

GNG answers:

Open Carry

Shoot them w/ 10mm

grab them w/ a hemostat and whack w/ rubber mallet.

Or clean thoroughly and use a commercial spray, then deny ingress/egress.

Otherwise... nuke it from orbit... it's the only way to be sure.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:26   #17
BEANCOUNTER

Bengal Gold roach spray for inside the house. A little expensive but worth it. It is hard to find, too. My local Ace Hardware usually has it.

Somehow it flushes them out of hiding. I'm not sure how - maybe something in it to attract bugs to the poison. I've lived in Florida a long time and never found anything that works as well. It sprays out almost dry and has nearly no odor.
--Will Hayden
BEANCOUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:37   #18
.264 magnum
CLM Number 121
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEANCOUNTER View Post
Bengal Gold roach spray for inside the house. A little expensive but worth it. It is hard to find, too. My local Ace Hardware usually has it.

Somehow it flushes them out of hiding. I'm not sure how - maybe something in it to attract bugs to the poison. I've lived in Florida a long time and never found anything that works as well. It sprays out almost dry and has nearly no odor.

We used that stuff in one of my son's college apartments that was full of roaches. Long story short we sprayed that stuff twice in three days and I bet we vacuumed up 5,000 roaches (bags-full literally) . Apparently, that stuff makes the roaches go a little crazy and they run around even in daylight and then die. Also it sterilizes those that is does not outright kill.

Whoever invented that stuff needs to be be nominated for a Nobel Prize.
Old 08-28-2013, 19:16   #19
SevenSixtyTwo

We use DemonWP too inside and outside. It works. Wife also spreads some stuff around the yard a couple of times a year. We very seldom see a roach in the house.
SevenSixtyTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 19:50   #20
Kevin108
HADOKEN!

The Black and Decker ultrasonic pest repellents have worked great for us in both our apartment and house. I've never seen a roach or mouse since we've had them. Going on about 6 years with the same $25 3-pack.

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a
little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
_____- Ben Franklin

Last edited by Kevin108; 08-28-2013 at 19:51..
Kevin108 is offline   Reply With Quote