Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-27-2013, 15:14   #1
Buckshot Barry

Need advise shooting a G26 in competition

If you shoot a G26 9mm in competition, please tell me about your experience.

I've got some experience in IDPA and USPSA, but only with a Glock 17 and 19. Currently shooting "Action Pistol" and having a great time. So far no targets have been further than 10 meters AND we can register a second gun for the match for $10 more. I wanna shoot my new Gen 3 26!!!!!!

We start Action Pistol from the low ready, so I'm not concerned about the holster I use. Usually 30 targets total per stage so I will be changing mags at least 2 times. Are extended controls a plus or minus on the 26 for you?

Here is a photo from our match. You can see its not real racey, but a whole lot of fun

General Glocking

Last edited by Buckshot Barry; 08-27-2013 at 15:30..
Buckshot Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 15:45   #2
lethal tupperwa

if your sights are on the target and you do not move them when you pull the trigger what would be the difference?

----------------------------------------

GLOCK CERTIFIED ARMORER
lethal tupperwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 15:52   #3
Photoman642

Many report shooting the G26 as well as or better than the larger Glocks. Other than magazine capacity, there shouldn't be much difference.
Photoman642 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 15:52   #4
Buckshot Barry

Looking for advice on if base pads like +2 or Pierce are a major advantage. I'm also interested if an extended mag release gets in the way. I tend to grip my 26 a little higher than my 17 and 19. Maybe even some score results, such as "I place just as well with my 26 as my 19 in a match".
Old 08-27-2013, 16:03   #5
JohnnyTactical305

Only shot a G26, as long as you know where to hold your GTG
JohnnyTactical305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 16:48   #6
Buckshot Barry

Thanks for the input, but I sure am looking for experience with changing mags and shooting on the run with a 26. Worse case would be a response like

"That 26 grip is so short, it's the only firearm I've ever dropped while changing mags on the run. I was DQ'ed and out for the day"
Old 08-27-2013, 16:58   #7
ECHO-1

A G-26 is a deep CCW gun and I see no point in competing with it. Better if you run that little power house hard in a CQC training and learn how to fight with it. After all it was designed for that.
ECHO-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 16:58   #8
high ground

Mags sit lower in your pouch making reloads tricky. Also seating the mag during reload requires removing the bottom two fingers from the grip. Nothing that cant be overcome with training but something to consider.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
high ground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 18:34   #9
RonS

I guess it depends on your reasons for competing. I shoot GSSF with my only Glock, a G26. Partly to give me a reason to go out and shoot but also partly because if you don't compete you don't know how good or bad you are. It is the only good, objective test. (There is a potentially bad objective test which I hope to avoid.)

My finding on the G26 is that it is accurate but not as easy to be accurate with compared to a full size gun.

I have two 10 round and four 12 round Glock mags. I expected major differences in controling recoil etc. Pish. No real difference. I now have a 10 rounder in the gun at all times and use the 12 for backup. Will probably get some 15 round G19 mags down the road. I would not want to do a speed reload with the subcompact, I expect it would take some effort to avoid slamming the meat of your hand in the door as you slam the mag home. Be easy to forget to open the last fingers and clear a path to the mag well.
Old 08-27-2013, 18:40   #10
Buckshot Barry

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonS View Post
I would not want to do a speed reload with the subcompact, I expect it would take some effort to avoid slamming the meat of your hand in the door as you slam the mag home. Be easy to forget to open the last fingers and clear a path to the mag well.
Great advice. Thank you.
Old 08-28-2013, 00:26   #11
336bl

I don't compete, but I qualify four times a year with my Glock 27. When we qualify with our duty guns or BUGS we do it three times, 30 rounds each time, we start at 2-yds then finish at 25-yds. Qualifications are done under stress (time), plus the R.O. can insert 1-3 dummy rnds into one or two of your mags to simulate FTF...in the end one can become very adapt at drawing, firing, re-loading, clearing FTF's, even with a Baby Glock...practice and competition will improve your skills...GREAT choice on the G-26...

Last edited by 336bl; 08-28-2013 at 00:28..
336bl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 00:35   #12
AZ Husker

They have their place in concealed self protection, but I do not see the benefit in trying to compete with one. UNLESS that is the only chance you have to practice out of the holster because of range rules.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:34   #13
vafish

What is your reason for shooting the G26 in competition?

If your reason is to get more practice with your carry gun, then run it as a carry gun without extended controls. Don't worry about score, except as a measure of your improvement.

If you want to win the match, don't shoot the g26.

FWIW, I uses to shoot my g36 in USPSA matches. My goal wasn't to win, but to improve my gun handling skills with my carry gun. You do have to watch your speed reloads so you don't pinch your finger.

posted from my stupid smart phone, please excuse any spelling mistakes.
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:49   #14
Buckshot Barry

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafish View Post
What is your reason for shooting the G26 in competition?
To see if I can hit targets 33 feet away under pressure. I'm a middle of the pack shooter. Winning a plaque isn't important.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:58   #15
ronin.45

I just shot my 26 in IDPA this last Saturday. I notice a slight difference from my 17, but not so much that I'm not competitive. I prefer extended controls, but they are not absolutely necessary. Just go for it and have fun.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:51   #16
SCmasterblaster

I'd stay with the G17 - longer sight radius and 17-20 cartridges starting out.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:38   #17
humphreys19

I just shot my brand new USA 26 in an IDPA match 2 weeks ago. Only had a couple hundred rounds through it before the match, but it performed perfectly.
I use pearce +2 base plates on the original mags, so I can load 11 ( IDPA division capacity ) at the start of each stage, then on my belt, I carry model 19 mags for reloads ( loaded with 10 ). The 19 mags are easier to handle, and act as grip extensions.
I had a blast using this little gun in SSP against the 17's and 34's. It is trying to become my favorite Glock.

Happy Shooting,
Tom
humphreys19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 13:04   #18
snowbird.40

Yes. I have lots of experience shooting my Gen 4 Model 26 in the IDPA Classifier. On March 23 I actually made Expert in the SSP division after being stuck in Sharpshooter for about five years. I could not get below the magical 120 second barrier with any .40 caliber Glocks or full size 9mms ... but this little G26 worked like a champ, and that includes the 20 yard barricade stage.

(Tip: from 20 yards, do NOT aim for center of mass on the IDPA silhouette targets because you'll often hit below the '0' ring; instead, aim for a point between the shoulders and you'll score MUCH better. It worked for me.)

(Another tip: doing a magazine change under IDPA stop watch pressure is best accomplished by pulling the magazine out of the well and keeping your eyes on the magazine well when you load the new magazine. I like to tip the gun on its side and point the empty magazine well back towards me so I can see the opening very clearly and I stay focused on the gun until I am POSITIVE the new magazine is seated. From slide lock, I have found that thumbing down the slide release is quicker and just as positive as reaching over to manually release the slide with your left hand.)

My advice is to use the 15-round mags with X-Grip magazine adapters. I have three of them for this type of competition. I have changed the sights from stock Glock to a Heinie Slant Pro rear and a Dawson fiber optic front. I love the sight picture and can get back on target really fast for double taps, but that steel rear sight needs special attention after a sweaty day of concealed carry.

I plan on shooting more of the IDPA matches - not just the Classifier - and I'll probably use a mix of 10 rounders with the GAP floor plates and 2-shot extensions from Glock.

I don't like extended controls, especially the slide lock release, because I have a tendency to thumb it up with my right thumb on occasion and go to slide lock; not a good thing in a match and even worse in a real-world defense scenario.

Massad Ayoob had an excellent article in the 2012 Complete Book of Handguns by Harris Outdoor Press. He notes that the G26 is inherently more accurate than the larger 9mms due to the fact that the rounds leave the barrel before it unlocks to begin cycling the empty casing out and loading the live round. Also, he notes that the barrel is stiffer relative to its length than the larger 9mm Glocks. Another thought he shares is that double taps can be quicker because the gun cycles faster with the shorter barrel. Finally, he names some men who have won the coveted 'Matchmeister' trophy at some major GSSF matches with their G26s.

Since last fall, my G26 has been my ONLY gun and my wife has a Gen 3 Model 26 so we can share magazines and ammo. I've recently purchased a Gen 4 Model 19 (still at the FFL dealer for a couple weeks) just because I had a couple extra dollars and I'd like to have the option of attaching a tactical light for home defense and other night time activities (like camping out).

Great choice, that G26. If I could only own one Glock, my Gen 4-26 would be my preferred weapon.

Last edited by snowbird.40; 08-28-2013 at 13:05.. Reason: found spelling error
snowbird.40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 14:43   #19
smitret

26 for match

Used my Gen 4 G26 for an IDPA match recently.

Had Pierce plus 2 on all 3 mags for improved grip.

Stock rear sight with green HiViz front.

Sights helped old eyes.

I didn't feel handicapped
smitret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 17:59   #20
tango44

G26 Gen3 is my personal favorite!
Use it every Saturday at the range and IDPA matches, no complains at all.
Meprolight night sights and 12 rounders.
No more!
tango44 is offline   Reply With Quote