SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-27-2013, 14:31   #1
GSD17
Thread Killer

Military folks: What is "Urban Decentralization Training?"

As a LEO, I am notified by certain military units when they will be conducting this training in my area and how they / I should act if we should come into contact with each other.

I'm not exactly sure what it is, so I won't divulge any further.

For those who know, what exactly is it that they are doing?

If it isn't something that should be discussed openly, PM me instead of posting here.

I think that I have a basic idea of what it is, but I'm still curious.

Thanks
G17,G17L,G17R,G17T,G19cutaway,G20,G21,G22,G22,G22P,G23,G26,G27,G31,G35,G37,G42
GSD17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 14:38   #2
raven11

I for one welcome our new Military overlords
raven11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 14:40   #3
DustyJacket
Gold Membership
Directiv 10-289

Is it evacuation in case of widespread natural disaster? Like an earthquake, flood, NBC release?
Old 08-27-2013, 14:45   #4
GSD17
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven11 View Post
Geebus. Thanks for your contribution to the thread.
Old 08-27-2013, 14:53   #5
GSD17
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyJacket View Post
Is it evacuation in case of widespread natural disaster? Like an earthquake, flood, NBC release?
Could be . . . . but I don't think so.

Without saying too much, what they are doing seems more intelligence based than what you guys are envisioning. They aren't in any military vehicles or dressed in military clothing.
Old 08-27-2013, 15:21   #6
eyelikeglasses
Hooah, Hooah.

Planning routes to the FEMA camps?
eyelikeglasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 15:28   #7
racerford

Given that the only Google response with that exact phrase is this GlockTalk thread I think you were NOT supposed to talk about it.

They will now show up at your door and decentralize your body parts in an urban area.
racerford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 15:31   #8
chriscw81
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The first rule of Urban Decentralization Training:

1. Don't talk about Urban Decentralization Training
chriscw81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 15:32   #9
cowboywannabe
you savvy?

its developing ways to get those selected ones on the trains heading for the "camps".

Facts are no match against enthusiasm and ignorance...
cowboywannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 15:34   #10
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Sounds like they want to evacuate from the city to me. For natural disaster, man-made disaster, or good old fashion roundup...
Old 08-27-2013, 15:41   #11
racerford

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSD17 View Post

Without saying too much, what they are doing seems more intelligence based than what you guys are envisioning. They aren't in any military vehicles or dressed in military clothing.
As I understand it, in war, this would allow them to be treated/shot as spies instead being treated as prisoners of war if captured.

Sounds like training to infiltrate (blend in to) an urban area to gather knowledge of insurrectionists or to eliminate them.
Old 08-27-2013, 16:16   #12
WarCry

Quote:

Don't read too much into it. I know that's going to get all the "no! That's what they WANT you to think!" crowd on my ass, but the way most military plans for contingencies is by sitting around tables and gaming them out. You don't think we rehearsed for a first-strike attack from the Soviet Union by running around in the streets in full MOPP gear pretending nukes were falling, do you? But at the same time, you know command staff had planned all of that out.

What it sounds like you're talking about is a mass-casualty event, like 9/11 or even Boston had it gone off as it seems was planned. They need to figure out how to handle a big deal like, say, an attack in downtown Atlanta that sends people fleeing in all directions (urban decentralization). They let LEO know because they might end up doing the mass-cas drills - folks in the park pretending to be wounded, etc - and they don't want law enforcement officers (patrol cops) showing up and wondering WTF is going on. Most of the planning would be behind closed doors, and likely would include local EMA and LEO higher-ups so that coordination would happen.

I've never heard the term before, but I do know a little something about the way the Big Green Machine works, and this is what it sounds like is going on, in my non-expert opinion.
Old 08-27-2013, 16:24   #13
Bruce M

There are lots of things that our military may do in urban areas from full scale war to dealing with disasters to rebuilding and search and rescue. It would not shock me that whatever it is, it ends up less dramatic than what it seems here.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 16:30   #14
CAcop

Urban decentralization as defined online seems to be another name for "urban sprawl."

Maybe they want to design the next generation of MOUT cities like the 'burbs instead of like Brooklyn.
I wonder if your assessment of "The Wizard of Oz" would sound something like "A teenaged orphan runs away with three psychotic AD/HD patients and a little dog. She kills the first two women she meets." --Sinecure 07/03/2006
Freakin' awsome!! Kickin it old school. Hot sheet on the dash. The report was probably only two sentences. Long live Rencko and Bobbie Hill!--WhiskeyT
CAcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 16:53   #15
Kuroineko

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven11 View Post

All your freedom....

Are belong to us.
Kuroineko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 17:16   #16
GSD17
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyelikeglasses View Post
Planning routes to the FEMA camps?
I don't trust the government any more than the next guy and agree, FEMA is largely a waste of money.

That said, one of the "FEMA Camps" is right here in my home county. If you google it, it shows up on the map.

I have been over every square inch of it. It is completely incapable of being a "camp." It is a damn training facility.

People have just claimed that everything owned by FEMA is a internment camp.
Old 08-27-2013, 17:17   #17
GSD17
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerford View Post
Given that the only Google response with that exact phrase is this GlockTalk thread I think you were NOT supposed to talk about it.
That was kind of my thought, lol.
Old 08-27-2013, 17:19   #18
GSD17
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerford View Post
As I understand it, in war, this would allow them to be treated/shot as spies instead being treated as prisoners of war if captured.

Sounds like training to infiltrate (blend in to) an urban area to gather knowledge of insurrectionists or to eliminate them.
EXACTLY what I was thinking.

I figure it has to do with infiltrating infrastructure and gathering intelligence.
Old 08-27-2013, 17:21   #19
GSD17
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarCry View Post
Don't read too much into it. I know that's going to get all the "no! That's what they WANT you to think!" crowd on my ass, but the way most military plans for contingencies is by sitting around tables and gaming them out. You don't think we rehearsed for a first-strike attack from the Soviet Union by running around in the streets in full MOPP gear pretending nukes were falling, do you? But at the same time, you know command staff had planned all of that out.

What it sounds like you're talking about is a mass-casualty event, like 9/11 or even Boston had it gone off as it seems was planned. They need to figure out how to handle a big deal like, say, an attack in downtown Atlanta that sends people fleeing in all directions (urban decentralization). They let LEO know because they might end up doing the mass-cas drills - folks in the park pretending to be wounded, etc - and they don't want law enforcement officers (patrol cops) showing up and wondering WTF is going on. Most of the planning would be behind closed doors, and likely would include local EMA and LEO higher-ups so that coordination would happen.

I've never heard the term before, but I do know a little something about the way the Big Green Machine works, and this is what it sounds like is going on, in my non-expert opinion.
PM inbound.
Old 08-27-2013, 18:18   #20
arclight610

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroineko View Post
All your freedom....

Are belong to us.
Someone set up us the Obama

Last edited by arclight610; 08-27-2013 at 18:18..
arclight610 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 18:27   #21
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
As a LEO, I am notified by certain military units when they will be conducting this training in my area and how they / I should act if we should come into contact with each other.

I'm not exactly sure what it is, so I won't divulge any further.

For those who know, what exactly is it that they are doing?

If it isn't something that should be discussed openly, PM me instead of posting here.

I think that I have a basic idea of what it is, but I'm still curious.

Thanks
It's too secret for the Army to tell me, but I'm guessing it has to do with responding to the threat in the race war that guy at Homeland Security is starting. Or, given the current administration, it may have to do with staging units in the cities to sweep out and kill off the non-city people.
Old 08-27-2013, 18:27   #22
Kevin108
HADOKEN!

You know you've hit gold when you can Google it with quotes and and self-link to the only hit.

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a
little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
_____- Ben Franklin
Kevin108 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 19:26   #23
racerford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin108 View Post
You know you've hit gold when you can Google it with quotes and and self-link to the only hit.
The really scary thing is how quickly it came up on Google. That means the NSA is having Google actively track us so they don't have to do it in real time.
Old 08-27-2013, 20:07   #24
DoubleWide

I'd lean towards decentralization of military control in a unclear environment. Here's your sector - organize civil services, control points, protection of utilities. defense or offense against the same. How would you handle it if communication failed?
DoubleWide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 20:22   #25
pizza_pablo
USN Retired

Isn't it when they fly helicopters in cities, at night, shooting blanks like they're going out of style?

Sent on Outdoor Hub, from my RAZR Mini.