GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2013, 23:41   #1
COLOSHOOTR
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 937
Discounts

Normally I'm not one that worries too much about getting a discount. Sure like anyone else I do think it's nice to save a buck here or there and I do appreciate when I am given a discount.... I don't know of too many places that offer LEO discounts, maybe because I'm not one to go ask.... On the other hand it seems like everywhere I go around here there are signs of Military/Veteran discount (show valid Military ID) or some odd% Military discount with ID. I see these at sporting good stores, movie theatres, restaurants and I could go on and on. I've never really thought too much about it and I have the upmost respect for the men and women in our armed forces and am generally glad to see business show their respect to them with those discounts but today I saw a sign that just set me off.

I went to the new Cabelas store that opened up here and was at the check out getting ready to swipe the card when I see a note taped next to the computer, that was obviously supposed to be a memo for the new employees, that went something like this: (Not word for word but you'll get the idea)

Military or Veterans receive 10% discount with valid ID. The discount does not apply to Law Enforcement, EMS, Fire Fighters Ect; A local Heros day will be held once per year where LEO's Fire Fighters Ect; will be able to make discounted purchases.

That note just set me off.... I was seriously half tempted to put the items down and walk out to go to the Sportsman's Warehouse that may or may not have a Military discount but no sign/note saying us LEO, Fire and EMS types are not good enough except on certain days. I went ahead and got the items as I did need them for tomorrow and didn't have time to go to the other store that is further away but it may be my last purchase there. I really would not have cared if there was a Mil. discount except for the little exception note that went with it.

Is it just me or is anyone else tired of this double standard where those of us who put it on the line at home don't really count but those who go over seas to do the same?
__________________
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

-George Orwell-

Last edited by COLOSHOOTR; 08-26-2013 at 23:42..
COLOSHOOTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 23:50   #2
Radam3
Senior Member
 
Radam3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: MI
Posts: 729
Go back when you don't need things, fill a cart with hundreds of dollars worth of stuff, see the same sign, and make a big scene, then walk out with out it telling them you'll never be back, and why!

Or the mature route would be to write a letter letting them know they will never get your business again. And let as many LEO, EMT, & Fire Fighters you know to do the same!

"I question things because I am human"
__________________
You put your faith in Christianity, I put mine in artillery!
G23 gen3
Radam3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 00:41   #3
COLOSHOOTR
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 937
Well that's not exactly what I ment when I said I was going to leave. The lady working was very nice and I actually didn't make a stink about it or say anything about it at all for that matter. It would have been more of a thanks but left the card I needed at home or something like that since the poor old lady checking me out likely isn't the one who made the policy and worded it that way. Why would I make a scene and make someone who had nothing to do with the policy feel bad and storm out on them? I would just prefer that the money I spend not go towards a store with such a policy written to exclude other groups of men and women who serve wearing a different sort of uniform. No fuss needed.


I thought about the letter but I'm really torn on that idea too. Part of me wants to point that note out and how it is offensive to those of us that are not good enough except on special days but the other part of me feels bad because I really don't expect a discount and don't want to seem like I'm asking for it even though I'm just upset about how that note was worded.....
__________________
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

-George Orwell-

Last edited by COLOSHOOTR; 08-27-2013 at 00:48..
COLOSHOOTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:10   #4
jpa
CLM Number 268
Charter Lifetime Member
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Las Vegas NV
Posts: 10,412
Send a message via AIM to jpa Send a message via Yahoo to jpa
I see signs like that every now and then. I remember one time I went to Dunkin Donuts in Chicago and saw a sign posted that stated that they would give a discount to Chicago police officers only on duty in uniform and they would only give one cup of coffee and a bagel/donut/muffin or 2 donut holes per officer.

At Tropical Smoothie here, they have a sign posted that they give a 30% discount to on duty police, firefighters or ems (including private ambulance since they run 911 calls too) as well as active duty military in uniform. The sign went on to state that the discount only applies to the member's order and not to anyone else in their party that isn't eligible for the discount.

That right there tells me someone a) went there off duty trying to get the discount or b) abused the discount by trying to get the discount for their whole family. I wouldn't doubt the sign is posted on the register because others kept asking for a discount. The reason why it excludes local cops/ff/ems boggles my mind. You should write to Cabelas customer service and ask. I'm curious.
__________________
Big Dawg #1408, TT #1408
Moto Club #1408, GSSF Member, NRA RSO
NRA Benefactor Member
jpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:17   #5
ateamer
NRA4EVR
 
ateamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: In the hallway - it's on cuz!
Posts: 14,958
So what if they only give a discount to miitary? Thick skin and stay incognito...
__________________
Firearms instructor/Glock armorer
Airplane pilot - Commercial/Instrument rating
49er Faithful
Know-it-all
ateamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:32   #6
COLOSHOOTR
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 937
Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamer View Post
So what if they only give a discount to miitary? Thick skin and stay incognito...
Normally I would totally agree....

I never said a word and never even mentioned my job. Even if they extended the discount to LE I probably wouldn't go out of my way to say hey I'm the po po discount please and let everyone behind me know what I do . I'd have been totally fine if the sign on the register just said Military discount with ID. It was the last part pretty much saying cops, fire fighters and ems are not quite good enough is what got under my normally thick skin.
__________________
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

-George Orwell-

Last edited by COLOSHOOTR; 08-27-2013 at 01:39..
COLOSHOOTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:05   #7
blueiron
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 13,602
Meh.

As a veteran, I understand their thinking. A former co-worker who is USAR is leaving in a few weeks for his sixth deployment in allahland. His wife and kids have been without him for 5 of the past 11 years.

Cops, firefighters, and EMS don't have to endure this.
blueiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:14   #8
Unistat
Senior Member
 
Unistat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SE Michigan, near Detroit
Posts: 1,407
Funny, not being military or LEO, I don't even get a discount one day out of the year. Am I not good enough, even for that?

Just so I'm clear, you are complaining because a private retail chain gives discounts to military 100% of the time and you only get the discount once a year. A discount that you admit you probably wouldn't ask about or use. Correct?

You may be a nice stand up guy in real life, but this post makes you come off as a whiner with a $#!tty attitude.
__________________
There are basically two kinds of people in this world. Those that believe in the Moon Landing and those that don't.

Last edited by Unistat; 08-27-2013 at 07:15..
Unistat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:52   #9
DustyJacket
Directiv 10-289
 
DustyJacket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Missouri, East of KC
Posts: 6,232
What about a veteran who is an LEO?

Every department I was a part of had a regulation AGAINST accepting LEO discounts. (Some enforced it more than others)

So, I would not complain.
__________________
"...our quick technology allows use to indulge our deepest stupidity and tastelessness with out first thinking...."
DustyJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:09   #10
ChiefWPD
Senior Member
 
ChiefWPD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Wellfleet MA
Posts: 3,491
Almost invariably the person or entity giving the discount to law enforcement expect some consideration in return. It's not done outta love. For a cheap meal they think they own you.

On more than one occasion I've had a citizen, during some sort of enforcement situation, pipe up with, 'But I give you guys free/discounted (fill in the blank).''

There is no comparison to giving a discount to active military personal. No reciprocity is possible there.
__________________
Who the hell is Balko?
ChiefWPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:11   #11
merlynusn
Senior Member
 
merlynusn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NC
Posts: 3,325
I know that Lowes and Home Depot both give a 10% discount to military or veterans with ID all the time. I actually feel bad about asking for a LEO discount (and won't ask for it). I don't feel bad about asking for a veteran discount, as strange as that sounds.

I'm sure the sign was a result of a specific incident, similar to the Dunkin Donut sign. I agree the sign was not worded correctly and was never intended to be a sign posted on the register. It was a memo that was to the store and the manager was too lazy to make up a "Military/Veteran Discount with ID" sign. I'd be more upset with the management than with the company.

Last edited by merlynusn; 08-27-2013 at 08:12..
merlynusn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:01   #12
blueiron
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 13,602
Let's look at this in perspective:

An Army Private [E2] or a Marine Private First Class [E2] at all times in grade makes a base pay of $20,398.

Assuming that both are infantry MOS and assigned to a forward deployed combat unit in Afghanistan, they get Hostile Fire pay of $225 a month [this rate is for all ranks and pay grades].

The math works out 20,398+(225*12)= $23,098 a year. If the Army trooper isn't a leg and jumps out of aircraft, they get HDIP pay of $150.00 a month [23,098+(150*12)= $24,898] - for an annual total of $24,898.00]

They get 30 days off a year. While that sounds like a lot, that includes the lack of holidays, lack of weekends, lack of sick days off, etc.

Troops get no overtime, no holiday pay, no translator pay, no FTO pay, no on call pay, no uniform allowance [they get basic clothing issue and anything after that, they pay for], no educational pay [a 4 year baccalaureate degree or higher does not guarantee an officer commission], or any other incentives that cops may qualify for.

To get anything above the base pay, they must be in a hostile fire zone and if Army, be qualified as basic parachutist and assigned to a combat jumpable unit.

Yes, they don't pay for housing. They sleep in spider holes, in LP/OPs, etc. They do not get to see their families and their free chow is below what the homeless get in a shelter for the same price and more often than not, cold.

I won't speak to the POGs, but the combat rated troops put up with far more crap than the newest police recruit; in a place far more dangerous than Newark, Detroit, LA 77th Street, or a Chicago housing project; with no days off and little down time; who train harder than the FBI/HRT; and live in conditions worse than being homeless.

The mathematical equation isn't fair at all and neither is the ethical 'fairness' equation. They deserve it.
blueiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:48   #13
Radam3
Senior Member
 
Radam3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: MI
Posts: 729
I am not LE nor do I have any military experience, so I may be wrong here.

But with the 23xxx you say a base solider (single w/ no children) is paid per year, none of that HAS to go towards housing, meals, car payments / insurance or any other majority of daily expenses for the majority of the year, or all of it depending on length of deployment.

Now take the rookie LEO (also single w/ no children) you mentioned, who depending on where, may only be making slightly more. He has to cover all of those.

Who "makes" more???

I've seen MANY soldiers (27 y.o. max) who have returned home, bought a house and a luxury car outright, because they had saved all of their pay while deployed.

I never heard of any 27 y.o. LEO who drives a luxury car, and has a house paid off (w/o having had an inheritance or some other source of extra income obviously)

Like I said I am neither LEO or military, so I very well could be wrong.
I have friends and family in both, and this is just my understanding...

"I question things because I am human"
__________________
You put your faith in Christianity, I put mine in artillery!
G23 gen3
Radam3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:58   #14
volsbear
Lifetime Membership
IWannaBeSedated
 
volsbear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Illinois
Posts: 12,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiron View Post

The mathematical equation isn't fair at all and neither is the ethical 'fairness' equation. They deserve it.
This.

Even if you take the math out of it.... check that, EVEN IF you concede that soldiers "make" a lot of money (due to the money that don't spend on room/board/living supplies)....they deserve it. That's the opinion of a guy who never served, but comes from a lot of family who did including a grandfather who punched the ultimate ticket in Korea.

Me? I'm tickled if someone OFFERS a discount. I certainly don't expect it, and I never drop my badge for it if I'm not in uniform. Do I continue to patronize businesses where the discount has been offered? Probably. Because their gesture of good will to me is rewarded by me returning, both on duty and off when I'm paying full price for a family of four.

To the OP - I see why you were disgruntled, however. The memo you observed was left in customer view and that was in poor taste IMO.
__________________
"Fast is fine. But accuracy is final."

"He'd look better with lividity" - BlueIron

Black Rifle Club - RRA-PSG
S&W Club - 22227
volsbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:23   #15
The Fist Of Goodness
Senior Member
 
The Fist Of Goodness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Falling into Crime's Dinner Party.
Posts: 2,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamer View Post
So what if they only give a discount to miitary? Thick skin and stay incognito...
Incognito is right. I work for a federal agency and am always in street clothes. I refuse to identify myself for a free cup of coffee or a discounted lunch. I know plenty of agents, detectives, and narcotics officers who will, though.


I know one local detective who goes to the same Wawa as I do in the morning, and he comes in without a jacket or coat, rain or shine, winter or summer, with his badge and gun displayed for his free coffee.

In uniform is a different story. If you are out there on patrol getting all of the free hostility you can handle, you are entitled to whatever courtesy a business is generous enough to give you.

Sent from my MB865 using Ohub Campfire mobile app
__________________
Quote:
Don't forget that everything we know is being filtered through the media which is like playing a game of telephone with mentally challenged people in the middle.
The Fist Of Goodness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 13:34   #16
COLOSHOOTR
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radam3 View Post
I am not LE nor do I have any military experience, so I may be wrong here.

But with the 23xxx you say a base solider (single w/ no children) is paid per year, none of that HAS to go towards housing, meals, car payments / insurance or any other majority of daily expenses for the majority of the year, or all of it depending on length of deployment.

Now take the rookie LEO (also single w/ no children) you mentioned, who depending on where, may only be making slightly more. He has to cover all of those.

Who "makes" more???

I've seen MANY soldiers (27 y.o. max) who have returned home, bought a house and a luxury car outright, because they had saved all of their pay while deployed.

I never heard of any 27 y.o. LEO who drives a luxury car, and has a house paid off (w/o having had an inheritance or some other source of extra income obviously)

Like I said I am neither LEO or military, so I very well could be wrong.
I have friends and family in both, and this is just my understanding...

"I question things because I am human"
This is exactly how I feel. Maybe part of the reason I am upset is that I just heard my neighbor, who is active duty Army, bragging about the super cheap loan he got the fact his mortgage is covered, the free food he gets under a welfare program because his wife doesn't work and they have two kids. All that while I see him buy toys for his nice car, new motorcycles and new guns every other week.


All this when I have to budget to pay my mortgage because I don't get any allowance for my house or the special military rates for the loan. I don't get free food and do not have money to bring home toys every other week.

Sure I understand that soldiers get deployed and are away from their families for extended amounts of time. I've got nothing on that...I do get to go home at the end of my shift but....

I've still yet to have a Christmas or thanksgiving off with my wife since we have been married. I miss family events, birthdays and other holidays. I can't go with our friends on weekend camping trips because I'm stuck working. I better not ***** though because I don't get deployed so its not the same right? What about the large gaps of time where we did not have large ongoing combat operations was it still that tough to be military then?

I've been shot at missed time with family and have lost friends at work. I hate when people act like their is a huge difference between LEOs and military. We both do **** jobs that don't make us rich.
__________________
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

-George Orwell-
COLOSHOOTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 13:43   #17
blueiron
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 13,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radam3 View Post
I am not LE nor do I have any military experience, so I may be wrong here.

But with the 23xxx you say a base solider (single w/ no children) is paid per year, none of that HAS to go towards housing, meals, car payments / insurance or any other majority of daily expenses for the majority of the year, or all of it depending on length of deployment.

Now take the rookie LEO (also single w/ no children) you mentioned, who depending on where, may only be making slightly more. He has to cover all of those.

Who "makes" more???

I've seen MANY soldiers (27 y.o. max) who have returned home, bought a house and a luxury car outright, because they had saved all of their pay while deployed.

I never heard of any 27 y.o. LEO who drives a luxury car, and has a house paid off (w/o having had an inheritance or some other source of extra income obviously)

Like I said I am neither LEO or military, so I very well could be wrong.
I have friends and family in both, and this is just my understanding...

"I question things because I am human"

First order logic fail.

Show me instances of an E2 who drives a recent model luxury auto. Not an E7, not an E8, or an E9, but an E1, E2, E3, or E4.

Prove to me that an E2 can buy a serviceable house near a US CONUS military based on less than $24,000 a year income.

You have never been in the military or been a police officer, yet you have expertise in the macroeconomics of either? I have been both and my experiences as a Marine E1 through E5, to include being a squad leader gave me direct practical experience with the financial conditions, good and bad, of other Marines and my own.

Your assertions are patently ridiculous.
blueiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 18:46   #18
BlackPaladin
Senior Member
 
BlackPaladin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Somewhere out there
Posts: 2,455
<-

8 yrs US Navy, veteran of OEF.
Police officer 9 yrs

Who cares.

Man, I can't believe we have a thread here about discount eligibility. WE ALL make sacrifices be it military/LE/Joe the baker. None of us did this for the discounts, none of us deserve a discount more than another.
__________________
niners club #187
moto club #600
Bull dawgs club #55
RIP Ofc. Tommy Decker #6402 CSPD
BlackPaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 19:04   #19
CJStudent
Fenced In
 
CJStudent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: KY
Posts: 18,092
Send a message via AIM to CJStudent Send a message via Yahoo to CJStudent
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiron View Post
First order logic fail.

Show me instances of an E2 who drives a recent model luxury auto. Not an E7, not an E8, or an E9, but an E1, E2, E3, or E4.

Prove to me that an E2 can buy a serviceable house near a US CONUS military based on less than $24,000 a year income.

You have never been in the military or been a police officer, yet you have expertise in the macroeconomics of either? I have been both and my experiences as a Marine E1 through E5, to include being a squad leader gave me direct practical experience with the financial conditions, good and bad, of other Marines and my own.

Your assertions are patently ridiculous.
I've known several E2/E3/E4s that came back from the sandbox and purchased houses, luxury cars, etc. The difference is, a) most don't have a family to support, b) have basic needs (food/shelter) met (especially while deployed), and c) all of their income is tax-free while deployed. Granted, it's been more E4 and above doing this, but it's not anything to see an E2 or E3 buying a brand-new tricked out truck or sports car these days.
__________________
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." -- Thomas Edison

Quote:
The first round is a moral decision. All of the following rounds are tactical decisions.
CJStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 19:11   #20
rookie1
Senior Member
 
rookie1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Iowa
Posts: 741
I have found that talking about the military is similar to having a conversation about politics or religion. The military personell have an extreme passion to their service and what they stand for. I have no military background and the though to enlist has never crossed my mind. On that note, thanks who do sign up and fight for all of us. I feel it takes a certain person to do that. Its simply not for me.

I am not a fan of handouts and discounts because of the uniform I wear. We all know people who are no longer active in the military and they do not flaunt it around as if we all owe them something and on the other hand we know military people who do feel as if we owe them. Same with police, some cops feel entitled to a discount or special treatment regardless of being military or police. We have some military folks that work for our department and when presented with a military ID from someone who is acting a fool it does not end well for the individual presenting the ID.

Back to the point at hand. I disagree with the note, and would honestly think that I put my life on the line every day, all be it at a different level, a very different level. Why is one person greater than the other. I am not a big fan of discounts for a specific person or group of people. All those who serve or none. Most dont sign up for the military for the pay. Some take advantages of the education benefits that I also dont get. If the sign said Military/Police/EMS/Fire and whoever else I personally wouldn't ask for it so most would say I have no fight in this debate.

Either stance one takes on this topic till be wrong to someone so it is what it is.
__________________
"If you feed a zombie the brains of an obama supporter the zombie will starve. " silentpoet
rookie1 is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 21:13.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,234
378 Members
856 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31