GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2013, 16:09   #1
pal2511
Senior Member
 
pal2511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: KS
Posts: 5,059
Send a message via AIM to pal2511
Court and ot

Just got off work after a 8 hr midnight shift then an additional 7 hr court trip. Great.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by obxemt View Post
Every time an officer accepts or receives a warning, someone in GNG poops their pants.
pal2511 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 16:19   #2
ray9898
Senior Member
 
ray9898's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Georgia
Posts: 17,163


Nights absolutely sucked for that reason alone.
ray9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 16:51   #3
blueiron
Clown move, bro
 
blueiron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: On the corner of Gang and Ghetto
Posts: 13,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray9898 View Post
Nights absolutely sucked for that reason alone.
I loved night shift and hated Court for the very same reason. The felony arrests would plead out, but the idiots with suspended drivers' licenses and no proof of insurance always wanted a hearing.
__________________
Imported from the future in 1984. Returned to the past in 2007

Dear God, this is one of the dumbest ideas I've ever heard. It's got to rank right up there with CALEA. -Pepper45
blueiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 17:03   #4
Ohio Copper
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: In the hood
Posts: 3,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiron View Post
I loved night shift and hated Court for the very same reason. The felony arrests would plead out, but the idiots with suspended drivers' licenses and no proof of insurance always wanted a hearing.
The only good thing about our prosecutor is she won't take suspended or no OL to trial. They'll eat the charge or she'll request jail time when she convicts. You either were valid or not, what's the argument??

7 hours in court? Jeez man!


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Ohio Copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 18:04   #5
blueiron
Clown move, bro
 
blueiron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: On the corner of Gang and Ghetto
Posts: 13,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Copper View Post
The only good thing about our prosecutor is she won't take suspended or no OL to trial. They'll eat the charge or she'll request jail time when she convicts. You either were valid or not, what's the argument??

7 hours in court? Jeez man!
Our female prosecutor had the spine of a jellyfish. She and the chief municipal judge were as worthless as a South Vietnamese piaster.
__________________
Imported from the future in 1984. Returned to the past in 2007

Dear God, this is one of the dumbest ideas I've ever heard. It's got to rank right up there with CALEA. -Pepper45
blueiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 19:10   #6
razdog76
Heavy Mettle
 
razdog76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Copper View Post
The only good thing about our prosecutor is she won't take suspended or no OL to trial. They'll eat the charge or she'll request jail time when she convicts. You either were valid or not, what's the argument??

7 hours in court? Jeez man!


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Knowing you were suspended at the time.
__________________
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
razdog76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 19:28   #7
Ohio Copper
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: In the hood
Posts: 3,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by razdog76 View Post
Knowing you were suspended at the time.
Ignorance is no excuse.

I don't write random selection anyway.




Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Ohio Copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 20:25   #8
DaBigBR
No Infidels!
 
DaBigBR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Circling the wagons.
Posts: 15,886
I have it the next two days. Hoping to be home by 1000 hours each day.
__________________
"Logic is rarely the engine that propels a police department forward."

-David Simon in "Homicide"
DaBigBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 20:54   #9
rsagona1
Hello
 
rsagona1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Somewhere in MD
Posts: 6,368


I did a 24 hour shift straight last week. I was still wide awake at the end. But I can't do 3 hours of court. Funny how that works.


Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
rsagona1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 22:03   #10
CAcop
Senior Member
 
CAcop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: California
Posts: 21,233
Swings is what kills me when it comes to court. Even when I lived close to work it sucked. Off 0230. Asleep around 0400. Up 0700. Court 0900. Even if I was out of there within an hour it was still hard to sleep enough to catch up for a start time of 1630.

Now that I live 45 minutes away with average traffic I will just sleep in the bunk room rather than go home.
__________________
I wonder if your assessment of "The Wizard of Oz" would sound something like "A teenaged orphan runs away with three psychotic AD/HD patients and a little dog. She kills the first two women she meets." --Sinecure 07/03/2006
Freakin' awsome!! Kickin it old school. Hot sheet on the dash. The report was probably only two sentences. Long live Rencko and Bobbie Hill!--WhiskeyT
CAcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 22:12   #11
Agent6-3/8
Senior Member
 
Agent6-3/8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: The ramparts of civilization
Posts: 11,472
Seems like I rarely have court on days, but as soon as I rotate to nights the subpoenas start rolling in...
__________________
"The mountains are calling and I must go." -John Muir
Agent6-3/8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 00:35   #12
Morris
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: North of Seattle, South of Canada
Posts: 11,168


Standing policy is that if you have court that consumes over 6 of your 12 hours off duty, then you can take the shift off following. You are worthless at 24 hours straight.
__________________
Neo-pagan, FORMER Libertarian, Cop, Gun Owner, Jewish Heritage - I'm the small talk at parties!

Certified Glock Armorer
Certified M&P Armorer

Say NO! to Washington I-594
Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 00:35   #13
msu_grad_121
BOOSH
 
msu_grad_121's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NW Burbs
Posts: 2,553
Seems I'm the only one that doesn't mind court when I'm on mids. I've been rotating between all 3 shifts this year (due to go back to days in a little over a week), and my check took a major hit on my last day shift stint because every time I had court, it was duty time instead of OT. Of course, I'm a greedy SOB, and I hate getting up that early, so days is a bear for me. Plus, all kinds of brass running around during those hours, too. Ugh.
__________________
The name on the left side of your chest represents who you work for. The name on the right side of your chest represents who raised you. Make them both proud.
msu_grad_121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 00:56   #14
jpa
CLM Number 268
Charter Lifetime Member
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Las Vegas NV
Posts: 10,117
Send a message via AIM to jpa Send a message via Yahoo to jpa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris View Post
Standing policy is that if you have court that consumes over 6 of your 12 hours off duty, then you can take the shift off following. You are worthless at 24 hours straight.
More places should have that policy in effect IMHO. I don't know how many times I've walked into a back office at my old PD to see the entire shift racked out because they all had court that day. Either that or they call in sick....
__________________
Big Dawg #1408, TT #1408
Moto Club #1408, GSSF Member, NRA RSO
NRA Benefactor Member
jpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:21   #15
ateamer
NRA4EVR
 
ateamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: In the hallway - it's on cuz!
Posts: 14,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris View Post
Standing policy is that if you have court that consumes over 6 of your 12 hours off duty, then you can take the shift off following. You are worthless at 24 hours straight.
The problem with that is it then becomes straight time instead of OT. If we had that option no one would take it.
__________________
Firearms instructor/Glock armorer
Airplane pilot - Commercial/Instrument rating
49er Faithful
Know-it-all
ateamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:01   #16
lawman800
Juris Glocktor
 
lawman800's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Out the frying pan & into the fire!
Posts: 37,312
Blog Entries: 1
It's not so bad when the court is in the morning because our graves ended at 0900 so if you had court at 0800, then you might be out by 1000 or 1030, which ain't too bad, with a bit of OT on top.

What sucked was the afternoon sessions at 1300, and you don't get to sleep when you get home, and sucks up your day until 1500 or more and then you have to wake up in 5 hours to go back to work.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiron:
I've said it before and I'll say it here: they'd look better with lividity.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:02   #17
OLY-M4gery
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Southern WI
Posts: 5,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamer View Post
The problem with that is it then becomes straight time instead of OT. If we had that option no one would take it.
Once we get on the OT clock, we don't come back off it until we get time off.

They also can't change our work hours to avoid OT.

Over 14 hours in a row = double time.
OLY-M4gery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:08   #18
lawman800
Juris Glocktor
 
lawman800's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Out the frying pan & into the fire!
Posts: 37,312
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLY-M4gery View Post
Once we get on the OT clock, we don't come back off it until we get time off.

They also can't change our work hours to avoid OT.

Over 14 hours in a row = double time.
The only thing that beats that is working an OT gig on a Holiday... yep, double golden time!

Regular pay + Holiday pay (1.5x) + OT on top of that... woot!

Not that it happens regularly, because they avoid scheduling it that way like the plague, but it does happen with staffing shortages... but once you get over 15 hours of OT, the tax makes it not worth it.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiron:
I've said it before and I'll say it here: they'd look better with lividity.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:57   #19
merlynusn
Senior Member
 
merlynusn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NC
Posts: 3,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLY-M4gery View Post
Once we get on the OT clock, we don't come back off it until we get time off.

They also can't change our work hours to avoid OT.

Over 14 hours in a row = double time.
That's awesome. We are straight time til 171 in 28 days. Then it's time and a half.

We don't get holiday pay, but we get extra vacation time (10 extra days of vacation instead of 10 holidays)
merlynusn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:35   #20
volsbear
Lifetime Membership
IWannaBeSedated
 
volsbear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Illinois
Posts: 11,872
A girl I work with is engaged to a copper not far from here. He works 12 hour shifts and rotates periodically from days to nights. When he works nights (6p-6a) he also works a school gig. So he gets off at 6am, changes clothes, heads to the school, leaves at 3pm, sleeps for an hour and then goes to work.

No Effing Way.
__________________
"Fast is fine. But accuracy is final."

"He'd look better with lividity" - BlueIron

Black Rifle Club - RRA-PSG
S&W Club - 22227
volsbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:30   #21
Pepper45
Senior Member
 
Pepper45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,465
Our PD won't let us work longer than 14 hours without approval. Over 16 hours requires an emergency. So, they'll send me home with stuff to still write up, or actual real work to be done. But if I get off at 0300, back in court at 0800, then out of court at 1800, and directly to work until 0300. So I can't work more than 16 hours except in an emergency, but they'll work me 19 with court, on 4 hours of sleep, and they'll do that on a regular basis.
__________________
http://ar15armory.com
Pepper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:47   #22
nikerret
Mr. Awesome
 
nikerret's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Kansas
Posts: 6,925
I'm sure we have all heard, "If you make good cases, you never have to go to court."

That's not true. It should be, "If you make good cases, and you're on midnight shift, you will go to court all the time, but never get to testify."
__________________
-Ambition is only appreciated after success.
-3/325:Now, where's my dedicated bodyguard? Oh, yeah, he's staring back at me in the mirror.
-"Every fear hides a wish"
nikerret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:07   #23
lawman800
Juris Glocktor
 
lawman800's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Out the frying pan & into the fire!
Posts: 37,312
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikerret View Post
I'm sure we have all heard, "If you make good cases, you never have to go to court."

That's not true. It should be, "If you make good cases, and you're on midnight shift, you will go to court all the time, but never get to testify."
It's not just making good cases, but being able to fully articulate it in an airtight report. I got subpoenaed less than a handful of times in as many years... not because I am that stellar, which I am, but it's also a function of how the system here works where the plea bargaining takes at least 85% of the cases off the docket before it goes past the first pretrial conference.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiron:
I've said it before and I'll say it here: they'd look better with lividity.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 19:24   #24
rookie1
Senior Member
 
rookie1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Iowa
Posts: 740
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikerret View Post
I'm sure we have all heard, "If you make good cases, you never have to go to court."

That's not true. It should be, "If you make good cases, and you're on midnight shift, you will go to court all the time, but never get to testify."
Our nights is 2300-0700. I love having court which starts at 0900. Stick around for a couple hours then head to the court house. A majority of the time they plead guilty if they see your there. I always make eye contact with my defendant when I walk in or acknowledge they are there. Like others have said, working nights people plead not guilty to a lot. Anything alcohol has a high probability of going to court. If they plead guilty or dont show I take my 2 hours of OT and go home. I typically go to bed around 9 anyways so its no big deal to go to bed at 10.
__________________
"If you feed a zombie the brains of an obama supporter the zombie will starve. " silentpoet
rookie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:36   #25
Morris
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: North of Seattle, South of Canada
Posts: 11,168


We have some flexibility in adjusting schedules so, for example, you have court at 9 but get off at six. If the squads have enough bodies to cover, you can come in at 2100 and stay on the clock until court time. Then court time is the standard OT rate.

The problem with all of this is the Tired Cops issue which is well documented. It's only a matter of time before legitimate lawsuits drive some changes. Until then, prosecutors, courts and judges could care less.

Many years ago, I was dog-e-dog tired on the stand and a judge took me to task for it. I explained I had now been working for 17 hours straight. The arrogant SOB told me to deal with it because it was my job. Even the defense attorney was aghast at the comment.
__________________
Neo-pagan, FORMER Libertarian, Cop, Gun Owner, Jewish Heritage - I'm the small talk at parties!

Certified Glock Armorer
Certified M&P Armorer

Say NO! to Washington I-594
Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:07.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 664
189 Members
475 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42