Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:54   #1
Big Dog Dad

Headline "God save the Steelers!"

That was the headline this morning in the local paper. Pittsburgh has always been an NFL haven because of the success of the Steelers beginning with the Terry Bradshaw era. People were all in a huff because of last season's 8-8 record. I think today people would be happy if the locals got to 8-8. The defense has gotten very old with very few standout players and the offensive line is beyond repair due to the lack of any backups. Hopefully the Pirates will give the city something to cheer about because the Steelers have a long road to rebuilding and recovery.

-=BDD=-
Old 09-30-2013, 10:11   #2
Colorado Sunshine

It's nice living in CO - Bronoco's might not lose a game all year

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 09-30-2013, 10:16   #3
SC Tiger
Shaved Ape

The Steelers have problems. They need help on both sides of the ball. Big Ben is still doing well but they are going to have to start looking for his sucessor pretty soon.

I don't know what they are going to do but the commentator mentioned yesterday that the Steelers, once the best-tackling team in the NFL, aren't even very good at that anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keoking View Post
If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.
SC Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:18   #4
Big Dog Dad

Only one thing to say about Peyton and the Broncos

WOW!

-=BDD=-
Old 09-30-2013, 10:32   #5
Gareth68

Send a message via Yahoo to Gareth68

Yep, my beloved Steelers are in rebuilding mode.

We simply did not have an answer for the loss of James Harrison.

Without him, Woodley looks very average.

Without outside linebacker pressures, the rest of the D breaks down.

Worilds is not the answer......Jones may not be either, but it is way too soon to tell.

It will take a year or two in the weight room to bulk up, and in the film room to study before Jones can be evaluated fully.

We also miss Hampton clogging the middle on run plays.

Troy is playing the line to stop the run, leaving openings in the secondary.

The aforementioned lack of QB pressure is allowing time to find those openings.

Offensively, we are much better now than 4 weeks ago.....but the line is horrific.

Having Heath back and Bell healthy is huge.

You can see Ben's productivity improving the last two weeks.

He will still take a ton of hits behind this line....why we did not re-sign Starks was a mystery only Tomlin and Colbert no.

But when we are forced to trade score for score.....well it will be a long season.

And it will be a miracle if Ben survives it intact.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:34   #6
Gareth68

Send a message via Yahoo to Gareth68

BTW,

Peyton is loving his new toy in Welker.

It would have been interesting to know what he might have done if he had him earlier in his career.

If his arm holds up and he can keep some zip on the ball into the playoffs, Denver's offense will be a thing of beauty.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:37   #7
czsmithGT

Took a bit longer than I expected for Art Rooney II and Mike Tomlin to destroy what Art & Dan Rooney & Chuck Noll & Bill Cowher built. This is Karma for Dan Rooney taking a job working for Obama. Go Pirates.
czsmithGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:44   #8
SC Tiger
Shaved Ape

Quote:
Originally Posted by czsmithGT View Post
Took a bit longer than I expected for Art Rooney II and Mike Tomlin to destroy what Art & Dan Rooney & Chuck Noll & Bill Cowher built. This is Karma for Dan Rooney taking a job working for Obama. Go Pirates.
Not sure I would pin this on Tomlin, though he will likely be fired over it. He has taken Pittsburgh to two super bowls and won one of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keoking View Post
If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.
SC Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:51   #9
captainstormy

Send a message via ICQ to captainstormy Send a message via AIM to captainstormy Send a message via Yahoo to captainstormy
Yea, I said it in another thread here already but IMO alot of the problem with age isn't just the players age, but it's the minimum salary. The longer a player in the NFL the more their minimum base pay goes up.

Even for those guys not making league minimum pay, their contracts are usually negotiated as a multiple of their minimum pay level so it still is a factor.

Thankfully he's gone now but but in 2012 they paid third string QB Batch 925K (which was the NFL minimum for his time). Way to much money for a 3rd stringer IMO. Which isn't a complaint against Batch, I think he was a great backup QB, but not worth his minimum salary at that point.

The Steelers need youth on both sides of the ball. Not just because alot of the older guy aren't what they used to be physically, but because it gives them more wiggle room in the salary cap.

Alot of the reason that many of the Steelers vets are gone this year is because of salary cap issues.

And I don't even know what's going on in that backfield. I never thought I'd miss Mendenhall.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:18   #10
Ohio Copper

They had some rough years with Cowher too, their defense is just terrible.

I always disagreed with allowing polamalu to play the way he did, one or two big plays a game does neither equate to getting burned in the open field. I think that defensive style is still in play.

Either way, I'm still wearing my steelers gear. Not too many fans here except when they're doing well.
Ohio Copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:36   #11
Mr981

Send a message via Yahoo to Mr981
Quote:
Originally Posted by czsmithGT View Post
My thoughts exactly; the Steeler organization that won the championships had been in place for years, so when the leadership changes, you still have an organization and personnel left over from the predecessors which should win for a while. This happened with the Browns in the 70's after Collier left, leading to a string of forgettable coaches that got by for a few years then quickly went down hill.
This won't be easy--having watched the Browns over past 1 1/2 decade flounder, if your front office and HC aren't up to the job, nothing much happens.

Last edited by Mr981; 09-30-2013 at 11:37..
Mr981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 16:11   #12
ARP

Starks not signed because

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth68 View Post
Yep, my beloved Steelers are in rebuilding mode.

We simply did not have an answer for the loss of James Harrison.

Without him, Woodley looks very average.

Without outside linebacker pressures, the rest of the D breaks down.

Worilds is not the answer......Jones may not be either, but it is way too soon to tell.

It will take a year or two in the weight room to bulk up, and in the film room to study before Jones can be evaluated fully.

We also miss Hampton clogging the middle on run plays.

Troy is playing the line to stop the run, leaving openings in the secondary.

The aforementioned lack of QB pressure is allowing time to find those openings.

Offensively, we are much better now than 4 weeks ago.....but the line is horrific.

Having Heath back and Bell healthy is huge.

You can see Ben's productivity improving the last two weeks.

He will still take a ton of hits behind this line....why we did not re-sign Starks was a mystery only Tomlin and Colbert no.

But when we are forced to trade score for score.....well it will be a long season.

And it will be a miracle if Ben survives it intact.
The brain trust felt that Starks best years are behind him, this was proven when he failed to make it with any other NFL team. Where is Hampton? Out of football. The defense looks porous, giving up 180+ yards on 3 plays? Ben is going to get broke in half shortly. Bell proved he better learn to pass block and soon and not throw out a chicken wing hoping that might work.

The word around town is that Tomlin is coming to the end of the line with players from the Cowher era and he now owns this turd of a team. How valuable might Derick Moye 6'5" WR have been in the goal line situations they found themselves in? Did not dress.

Stillers used to be a destination team, now they are at the very beginning of a major rebuild while still having to play the rest of the season. As I see it, this year vs last, they lost 2/3 of the offensive punch, flatlined or declined on the O line and took several steps backward with the D. And the new punter is not impressing anyone. The only positive is the kicker is still accurate and booming kickoffs.

Last edited by ARP; 09-30-2013 at 16:13..
ARP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 16:13   #13
eb07
Sharkin'

There is no help for this

The Okie Corral
eb07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 20:12   #14
*ASH*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Tiger View Post
Not sure I would pin this on Tomlin, though he will likely be fired over it. He has taken Pittsburgh to two super bowls and won one of them.
wrong , Cowher won the super bowl in 05 then retired

TOMLIN came in and took his place and won their next super bowl.

i live in nc and been steeler fan since i was a kid . still am and always will be no matter what .
they definately need to rebuild and if they lost every game i would be happy . they need to trade and make deals to get good draft picks .

in the end steeler nation still has the most trophies