Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-24-2013, 11:05   #1
CAcop

Car Salesmen

It is me or are a significant percentage of them "off" or do I somehow manage to get the looneys?

Yesterday the wife and I were checking out cars and got somewhat serious. The salesman helping us suffered from bipolar disorder due to some of the things he shared about himself. The guy who sold us our current car seemed mildly autistic. The guy who sold me my truck had bounced through a bunch of dealerships. Same with the guy from yesterday.

Is it one of those jobs that attracts nuts? Is it one of those jobs where people bounce from job to job trying to chase the money or find something they can sell?

Aside from the haggling I am beginning to hate going car shopping because I run into toons. I deal with them enough at work. Trying to buy a car from one is a pain.
I wonder if your assessment of "The Wizard of Oz" would sound something like "A teenaged orphan runs away with three psychotic AD/HD patients and a little dog. She kills the first two women she meets." --Sinecure 07/03/2006
Freakin' awsome!! Kickin it old school. Hot sheet on the dash. The report was probably only two sentences. Long live Rencko and Bobbie Hill!--WhiskeyT
CAcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:09   #2
DaleGribble
Well Heeled Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAcop View Post
It is me or are a significant percentage of them "off" or do I somehow manage to get the looneys?

Yesterday the wife and I were checking out cars and got somewhat serious. The salesman helping us suffered from bipolar disorder due to some of the things he shared about himself. The guy who sold us our current car seemed mildly autistic. The guy who sold me my truck had bounced through a bunch of dealerships. Same with the guy from yesterday.

Is it one of those jobs that attracts nuts? Is it one of those jobs where people bounce from job to job trying to chase the money or find something they can sell?

Aside from the haggling I am beginning to hate going car shopping because I run into toons. I deal with them enough at work. Trying to buy a car from one is a pain.
It sounds like you're dealing with the "B team" salesmen. Those are the guys that don't sell a lot of cars and do go from dealer to dealer until they get tired of eeking out a living on a commission that's unreliable.

Good salesman aren't "off" and they're usually pretty well put together.
DaleGribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:26   #3
RedTop

Now-a-days most dealerships have Internet Sales departments. If possible, deal with them. This is how I purchased my last car and it worked out great; little to no haggling and I only had to spend about an hour and a half at the dealership.

I thoroughly agree with your assessment. I'll never blindly walk onto a lot again.
RedTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:50   #4
CAcop

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTop View Post
Now-a-days most dealerships have Internet Sales departments. If possible, deal with them. This is how I purchased my last car and it worked out great; little to no haggling and I only had to spend about an hour and a half at the dealership.

I thoroughly agree with your assessment. I'll never blindly walk onto a lot again.
I'll have to try the internet sales.

We walked in cold and they seriously lowballed trade in and gave us MSRP. My wife was ready to buy and I was half tempted to download the KBB app while I was talking with the guy.

The last good car salesman I met was the one who sold me a Honda nearly 20 years ago when a few dealers just offered the cars at a set price. It was like buying a TV at Costco. Maybe if we had haggled he would have told me he was raped by Burmese nuns in the back lot of the dealership the night before.
I wonder if your assessment of "The Wizard of Oz" would sound something like "A teenaged orphan runs away with three psychotic AD/HD patients and a little dog. She kills the first two women she meets." --Sinecure 07/03/2006
Freakin' awsome!! Kickin it old school. Hot sheet on the dash. The report was probably only two sentences. Long live Rencko and Bobbie Hill!--WhiskeyT
Old 08-24-2013, 12:06   #5
devildog2067

Quote:
Is it one of those jobs that attracts nuts?
Yep
Quote:
Is it one of those jobs where people bounce from job to job trying to chase the money
Nope

Not that so much, it's more that selling cars is a job that you can get with a driver's license and a pulse (and sometimes they make an exception on the driver's license part).

At any dealership, you'll have ~20% of the sales staff that are successful, stable and reasonably professional. The other 80% are the ones that are taking their spin through the revolving door--most salespeople last less than 90 days.
devildog2067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:06   #6
boofers20

Open carry would have prev...wait nevermind wrong type of thread

Sent from my DROIDX using Ohub Campfire mobile app
boofers20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:08   #7
devildog2067

Quote:
I'll have to try the internet sales.
"Internet sales people" are just salespeople, and their job is the same as any other salesperson. The only difference is that you usually get to skip the first pencil.

Quote:
We walked in cold and they seriously lowballed trade in and gave us MSRP.
That's their job. You'd be surprised how many people buy at those numbers.
Old 08-24-2013, 12:10   #8
Ragnar

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTop View Post

Yep, this. I haven't dealt with salesmen for my last 3 cars. E-mail the internet guy at the dealership, tell him what you want and how much you'll pay. No muss, no fuss. Show up at the dealership at the appointed time and walk out in an hour with a car. The dealership where I got my BRZ even fedex-ed the paperwork to me so I could sign everything before I got there.

Last edited by Ragnar; 08-24-2013 at 12:11..
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:30   #9
DanaT
Pharaoh

Wow CA. I cant believe you are stereotyping and criticizing someone because of their profession. You even go far as to state the mental state of the people working in said professional.

Now, if you said something true, like they must know where to go to find be able to buy their suits for less than $30, I would agree..but attacking their mental capacity?
2x4=8, not 14.
Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view.
DanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:33   #10
DanaT
Pharaoh

I must say the last car I bought, the salesman was a good guy. He is still at the dealership (the sales guys at the dealership stay a long time). I can still call him and he arranges some special things for me. He wants to sell me a car in the future.
2x4=8, not 14.
Old 08-24-2013, 12:35   #11
CAcop

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog2067 View Post
"Internet sales people" are just salespeople, and their job is the same as any other salesperson. The only difference is that you usually get to skip the first pencil.

Skipping the first pencil is nice. It avoids the first, "let me go talk to my boss first."

That gets old. We use it at work with confessions.
Old 08-24-2013, 12:39   #12
CAcop

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog2067 View Post

I did that once. I just haggled with the interest rate. This was well before the current state of events with car dealerships. A few years ago Toyota was doing 0% for 3 years, now they are doing 0% for 5. My credit union tells be they can't compete.
Old 08-24-2013, 12:42   #13
CAcop

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaT View Post
Wow CA. I cant believe you are stereotyping and criticizing someone because of their profession. You even go far as to state the mental state of the people working in said professional.

Now, if you said something true, like they must know where to go to find be able to buy their suits for less than $30, I would agree..but attacking their mental capacity?
Well, when your salesman tells you he was "sick" for 8 years "on death's doorstep" and has a scar on his neck from a suicide attempt it tells you something about the guy.

I'm impressed he pulled it together to function as well as he does.

Or the guy who has sold just about every make of car "for a couple of months" that tells you something.

Last edited by CAcop; 08-24-2013 at 12:43..
Old 08-24-2013, 13:05   #14
Adjuster

This needs its own thread but if someone is 'in the know' please start a new thread and tell me the history on how car sales got to be the way it is today. How did the price of a car become so 'negotiable' and all the crap back and forth with a salesman? What I am getting at is why isn't the price of a car based on its manufacturing cost and a simple margin of profit. Why is it not the same as walking into a Home Depot and buying a 2x4? I am guessing the first model T's were at a set price and there was none of this haggling and negotiable price and back and forth crap. How and when did buying a car become such a huge ordeal with the dealerships basically attempting to scam you out of every last dollar they can get and being able to do so legally and its even an expected and accepted way of doing business by the buyer and the seller.

/
Adjuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 13:13   #15
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjuster View Post
This needs its own thread but if someone is 'in the know' please start a new thread and tell me the history on how car sales got to be the way it is today. How did the price of a car become so 'negotiable' and all the crap back and forth with a salesman? What I am getting at is why isn't the price of a car based on its manufacturing cost and a simple margin of profit. Why is it not the same as walking into a Home Depot and buying a 2x4? I am guessing the first model T's were at a set price and there was none of this haggling and negotiable price and back and forth crap. How and when did buying a car become such a huge ordeal with the dealerships basically attempting to scam you out of every last dollar they can get and being able to do so legally and its even an expected and accepted way of doing business by the buyer and the seller.

/
You asking the question backwards. For the longest time in human history, prices on everything have been negotiable on all items. In recent history we have to "non-negotiable" prices for most items. Also you general premise is wrong. Many things are much more negotiable on price even when you see a fixed price.
2x4=8, not 14.
Old 08-24-2013, 13:15   #16
CAcop

Quote:

/
My wife once bought a car and as she was about to sign the papers after 5 hours they asked her, "Would you like floor mats?"

Seriously.
Old 08-24-2013, 13:18   #17
hpracing007

I think it's not just that the car business attracts nuts (it definately does) but the car business can turn people nuts, if they let it

Last edited by hpracing007; 08-24-2013 at 13:18..
hpracing007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 13:25   #18
devildog2067

Quote:
This needs its own thread but if someone is 'in the know' please start a new thread and tell me the history on how car sales got to be the way it is today. How did the price of a car become so 'negotiable' and all the crap back and forth with a salesman?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaT View Post
You asking the question backwards. For the longest time in human history, prices on everything have been negotiable on all items.
This. The idea of fixed prices is really a very recent invention... within the last ~150 years or so. And even "fixed" pricing isn't really fixed, there's price targeting strategies employed within the fixed pricing structure (coupons, loyalty programs, etc).
Old 08-24-2013, 13:33   #19
VA Swamphunter
Old Mud Diver

Car salespersons are a different breed. I really think most of them are unaware that today's car buyers are a lot more educated about pricing and the buying process (There are exceptions).

They love the opportunity to get your trade in at a ridiculously low price, and shove you towards one of the financing programs that the dealer has their fingers in, and then throw in a uninformed buyer with a low credit score and they have a perfect trifecta.

I have been shopping for a new car for the past month or so. I have stepped on the lot once to test drive the two vehicles I am interested in (both are Subaru's). If I could have found them on a rental lot I would have rented each for a day vs going to the dealer. All my shopping and dealing is now being done via the internet.

1. Do your research on prices and decide what is a fair price to you and what your willing to pay.

2. Get pre-approval for financing at a bank or CU. Unless your getting a 0% APR as a Manufacture's incentive.

3. Sell your used car yourself. The dealers will NEVER give you whats it worth. It's a relatively easy process to sell it yourself, and you might be surprised what you can actually get for it.

4. Ask to deal directly with the decision maker. Skip the middle man.

5 Tell the dealer what your willing to pay for the car and stick to your guns.

6. Don't be afraid to say no and walk (It feel pretty good to do that). That car you are in love with almost surely exists on another dealers lot and perhaps at a better price.

7. Don't overlook out of state dealers. Large volume dealers will often beat the heck out of small local dealers prices. I found a Subaru dealer in Colorado that has amazing prices I am in VA. (Maybe a road trip).

Good luck to you.

I look forward to the day that buying a car is like buying a jug of milk. I think Saturn had it right with the fixed prices.
VA Swamphunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 13:37   #20
RonS

amazon.com/cars

That would be sweet. Customer reviews. Free shipping with Prime.
Old 08-24-2013, 13:50   #21
CBennett

I dont know..but i do know that i typically know MORE about the cars they are selling thewn they do for the most part..I can count on 1 hand the salesmen that know as much about the car im interested in as I do...and I dont have to use all the fingers on that hand.
I remember backin 1998 or so I was looking at a Pontiac GTP and I was looking and comparing that to the Taurus SHO..guy kept saying what a nice/powerful engine(for that era) it had for a turbo charged 4 cylinder..I said its a Super Charged 6...he kept insisting it was a 4 and turbo...finally I said grab the keys...he did I popped the hood I said how many spark plug/plug wires do you see and do you see the big super charger...he was ASTONISHED! lol....just had to go elsewhere to buy something..

I always make sure I know as much or more about what im looking at than the guys there.
CBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 14:27   #22
Adjuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonS View Post
amazon.com/cars

That would be sweet. Customer reviews. Free shipping with Prime.

I hope they offer the Elio when it goes into production!

/
Adjuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 14:37   #23
stolenphot0
RTF2 Addict

I'm car shopping now and have never enjoyed it. Doesn't help I'm on a really limited budget due to my current job. I've nearly driven my current car into the ground, and the car in front of me on the way home this afternoon.

stolenphot0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 15:26   #24
tadbart
duuuuude.

Quote:
I hope they offer the Elio when it goes into production!

/
I wish Elio was a publicly traded company. got a feeling they'll do well...

G19
pointy stick
sharp wit
tadbart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 16:13   #25
Bruce M

It seems like the few dealershps that tried posting an actual price on the car dd not last long or did not stay doing that for long. It also seems to me that purchases that have a strong emotional component to them are more likely to be the ones that have some negotiating; houses, guns, cars. Mostly, the price of a gallon of milk at the store seems a bit more fixed. And seems like that purchase would be a bit less emotional.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote