GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-20-2013, 06:28   #201
D.B.Cooper

[QUOTE=jame;20545126]No teeth bruises on the other side. No spit either. Also no sharp piercings such as a talon. I've come up on fresh kills back there, and this just doesn't hook up.

It could be only one thing a CHUPACABRA
D.B.Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:30   #202
Green Mountain Boy

Love that movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmanhockey7 View Post
Maybe Rocco did it?
http://youtu.be/4KTzH-H4bs0
"I'll be back bury the effing cat"

NECC #64
Green Mountain Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:37   #203
Cavalry Doc
Silver Membership
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
I've got the answer finally. Everyone who has a problem with their neighbor's cats should simply go poop in THEIR yard. Then maybe take a nap on their converible roof, eat their birds, and draw in others to breed and howl in their yard. What's the difference?
Manners?

If there is damage done, report it and seek an amicable remedy through polite and proper channels.
Cavalry Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:58   #204
AN-HERO
Invader

Umm... It's just a cat. You guys want to actually harm or kill a human (most likely a child dicking around....you've never been a young ***hole I'm sure) because a cat may have been shot? Come on now.
Old 08-20-2013, 13:06   #205
Norma_10

payback time !!!!

The Okie Corral

The Okie Corral
Norma_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 15:17   #206
infiniti0505

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norma_10 View Post
The Okie Corral

The Okie Corral
That is seriously awesome
With every breath, we shall hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, 'til it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles which every man of every faith can embrace. These are not polite suggestions, these are codes of behavior, and those of you that ignore them will pay the dearest cost.

infiniti0505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 15:32   #207
Norma_10

Paybacks a *****!!

The Okie Corral

Last edited by Norma_10; 08-20-2013 at 15:33..
Norma_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 15:45   #208
FCastle88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalry Doc View Post
Manners?

If there is damage done, report it and seek an amicable remedy through polite and proper channels.
The remedy is keep your pet on your property, apparently the owner isn't willing to do that otherwise there wouldn't be a problem. I always thought the "proper" thing to do with a stray animal was take it to the local shelter...
FCastle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 15:46   #209
JoeCitizen

The only cats I ever shot were on my property trashing up the place. My own barn cat didn't show up at the back door one night to be fed as he was in the habit of doing. I really liked that cat. He was real affectionate. Damn good varmint killer too. I still miss him from time to time. But hey, when you live out in the country that's just the way it goes.

Last edited by JoeCitizen; 08-20-2013 at 18:33..
JoeCitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 16:09   #210
deputy tom

Quote:
The Okie Corral

The Okie Corral
Quote:
The Okie Corral
Nothing like a Tuxedo Cat at the trigger. tom.

ETA there is a special place in hell for people that shoot or torture someone's pets. tom.

SPES MEA IN DEO EST

Thig crioch air an t-saoghal ach mairidh gaol agus cel The world will come to an end but music and love will endure

Last edited by deputy tom; 08-20-2013 at 17:02..
deputy tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 17:10   #211
Cavalry Doc
Silver Membership
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCastle88 View Post
The remedy is keep your pet on your property, apparently the owner isn't willing to do that otherwise there wouldn't be a problem. I always thought the "proper" thing to do with a stray animal was take it to the local shelter...
Let's start off with some details. I am not a fan of cats. I've never liked them. The last time I tried to help one, it bit clean through the tip of my thumb, through the nail an into the bone. I left for a 30 day rotation at the NTC wondering if they would be able to reach me if the cat turned out to be rabid. You die of rabies when you have the first symptom, except twice in human history, and they probably wish they hadn't have lived.

So, back to the story. Are you sure the cat was on another person's property when it was shot? Was it destroying any of that person's property? Or was it just malicious vandalism?

My neighbors cats have come by once in a while. The get the dogs riled up a bit. I've found feathers in the front yard where they have caught a bird.

So what?

The thing is, that cat, in the OP meant something to someone. Manners. You talk to your neighbors before you damage their pets. It's common decency, which isn't very common anymore.
Old 08-20-2013, 18:38   #212
FCastle88

Quote:
Let's start off with some details. I am not a fan of cats. I've never liked them. The last time I tried to help one, it bit clean through the tip of my thumb, through the nail an into the bone. I left for a 30 day rotation at the NTC wondering if they would be able to reach me if the cat turned out to be rabid. You die of rabies when you have the first symptom, except twice in human history, and they probably wish they hadn't have lived.

So, back to the story. Are you sure the cat was on another person's property when it was shot? Was it destroying any of that person's property? Or was it just malicious vandalism?

My neighbors cats have come by once in a while. The get the dogs riled up a bit. I've found feathers in the front yard where they have caught a bird.

So what?

The thing is, that cat, in the OP meant something to someone. Manners. You talk to your neighbors before you damage their pets. It's common decency, which isn't very common anymore.
So the owner doesn't have the common decency to keep their pet from damaging my property in the first place, but I'm the bad guy for not continuing to allow my property to be damaged? Way to blame the real victim. As evidenced by the posts of almost every person in this thread who is in favor of cats roaming free, they simply don't care. Scratches/dirt all over your car, torn convertible tops, spreading parasites to your pets, wiping out wildlife, sometimes even killing your chickens, pet rabbit, etc. It's all no big deal, it's the cat's "right". Just suck it up and pay the repair bill, vet bills, etc., because someone else wants to have a cat but not take care of it properly. What makes you think talking to these people is going to do any good?

Then of course, there's the issue of finding the owner to begin with. Especially in a rural area, like the OP, there's often no way to tell if it's feral or a pet, or where it came from. Just put up with it because you can't find the owner? Then if you do manage to find the owner, it's always just a stray they've been feeding, so they're not responsible, or their cat was inside the whole time. Until the offending cat disappears one way or another, then they want to know what the hell you did to their cat.

The OP has no idea where his cat got shot. As others said, his cat could have easily made it a mile away and back in a couple hours, especially since if it was shot it probably hauled ass home. The cat could have been killing someone's livestock or destroying something on someone's property a mile or two away, and they thought it was just another feral/barn cat in the country.
Old 08-20-2013, 19:11   #213
Citadel15L

I strongly dislike cats. There are a few strays around where I live. Or maybe just free roaming outdoor cats. But I wouldn't shoot one. I like to think they keep the rodent population down.
Old 08-20-2013, 20:09   #214
Cavalry Doc
Silver Membership
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
So the owner doesn't have the common decency to keep their pet from damaging my property in the first place, but I'm the bad guy for not continuing to allow my property to be damaged? Way to blame the real victim. As evidenced by the posts of almost every person in this thread who is in favor of cats roaming free, they simply don't care. Scratches/dirt all over your car, torn convertible tops, spreading parasites to your pets, wiping out wildlife, sometimes even killing your chickens, pet rabbit, etc. It's all no big deal, it's the cat's "right". Just suck it up and pay the repair bill, vet bills, etc., because someone else wants to have a cat but not take care of it properly. What makes you think talking to these people is going to do any good?

Then of course, there's the issue of finding the owner to begin with. Especially in a rural area, like the OP, there's often no way to tell if it's feral or a pet, or where it came from. Just put up with it because you can't find the owner? Then if you do manage to find the owner, it's always just a stray they've been feeding, so they're not responsible, or their cat was inside the whole time. Until the offending cat disappears one way or another, then they want to know what the hell you did to their cat.

The OP has no idea where his cat got shot. As others said, his cat could have easily made it a mile away and back in a couple hours, especially since if it was shot it probably hauled ass home. The cat could have been killing someone's livestock or destroying something on someone's property a mile or two away, and they thought it was just another feral/barn cat in the country.
Who said you had to tolerate an injury or expense? There are gentlemanly ways to handle it. No kidding, and this is a little too convenient, but I just chased a cat off of my wife's car. I spent a couple hours detailing it this weekend. I didn't do it with a hail of bullets and curses, but with a few loud claps and quiet curses. I happen to have video surveillance that I can see from my office desk.

The cat lived. I have not been charged with reckless discharge of a firearm, and my property is safe.

A gentleman, when he catches a piece or property of another damaging his own, can seek a recourse through simple discussion or through the courts if that should fail. A cretinous outlaw would ruin the property of another without at least trying to come to a more reasonable agreement.

Which one do you claim to be again?
Old 08-20-2013, 20:22   #215
jame
mange takk

Quote:
"Others" have no idea about my geography, neighbors or local customs and culture. "Others" are flat out wrong.

I have also known of very few, (maybe none?) 4 month old kittens to take down cattle. (I guess "Others" should have known that the only livestock with a 2 mile radius is either confinement hogs or cattle. Or not.)

Last edited by jame; 08-20-2013 at 20:35..
jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 20:25   #216
Cavalry Doc
Silver Membership
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jame View Post
"Others" have no idea about my geography, neighbors or local customs and culture. "Others" are flat out wrong.

I have also known of very few, (maybe none?) 4 moth old kittens to take down cattle. (I guess "Others" should have know that the only livestock with a 2 mile radius is either confinement hogs or cattle. Or not.)
If your cat was shot, it was shot because someone wanted to shoot it, not because they had to. Keep that in mind when dealing with your neighbors.
Old 08-20-2013, 20:34   #217
jame
mange takk

Quote:
.....You talk to your neighbors before you damage their pets. It's common decency, which isn't very common anymore.

You sound like a guy that would live around here, Cav Doc. A decent man with integrity. You would be well respected here. Hell, I'd come get any animal of mine if called. I'd give you a call about you dog, too. Maybe even bring him up to you if something like that were to happen.

You know, there is a guy that lives about 10 miles from here that does shoot all dogs or cats that may happen to stray. We all know who he is, we know what kind of man he is, and we know not to expect much from him as a decent man of integrity.

And he gets nothing in return. No help with chores or help in tough times. No hand to pull him up or out. Nothing.

Except scorn.

Welcome to the neighborhood.

Last edited by jame; 08-20-2013 at 20:36..
Old 08-20-2013, 20:46   #218
Cavalry Doc
Silver Membership
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
You sound like a guy that would live around here, Cav Doc. A decent man with integrity. You would be well respected here. Hell, I'd come get any animal of mine if called. I'd give you a call about you dog, too. Maybe even bring him up to you if something like that were to happen.

You know, there is a guy that lives about 10 miles from here that does shoot all dogs or cats that may happen to stray. We all know who he is, we know what kind of man he is, and we know not to expect much from him as a decent man of integrity.

And he gets nothing in return. No help with chores or help in tough times. No hand to pull him up or out. Nothing.

Except scorn.

Welcome to the neighborhood.
Just keep to your good senses. Do business, and offer kindness to gentle folk. Don't give anything, including the time of day to boors and cretins.

I give everyone the benefit of the doubt, the first time. I always ask nicely, the first time. I hate to be a jerk, but I'm real good at it. It's a skill. I've impressed more than one lawyer in that regard. Hurt one of mine, and I mean kids and dogs alike, and I'll make you wish you didn't. It'll cost you as much as I can legally make it cost you. If that means prison for animal cruelty, I'll be the guy laughing out loud at your sentencing hearing, and insulting your mum.

Due unto others....... There is a lot of wisdom there.
Old 08-20-2013, 20:52   #219
AZ Husker

And yet another fine example of a pet owner denying responsibility by letting his animals run rampant. I investigated a case where a dog ran out in front of a car and the driver swerved to miss it, running over a little girl on the sidewalk. That thought will haunt me forever. The dog owner not only was prosecuted and found guilty of involuntary manslaughter, he lost everything in the subsequent civil case to the parents of the deceased child.
Old 08-20-2013, 21:25   #220
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
I investigated a case where a dog ran out in front of a car and the driver swerved to miss it, running over a little girl on the sidewalk. That thought will haunt me forever. The dog owner not only was prosecuted and found guilty of involuntary manslaughter.
Got any links to that story. It would be interesting from a legal perspective. Thanks.

Old 08-20-2013, 22:05   #221
Johncola36

Quote:
Attachment 235186

And I'm none too happy about it.
I am glad the cat is getting better. Some people can be real messed up. I am careful with mine. I found her roaming the streets of the south Bronx as a stray and I was leaving food out for her. Now she is home, spay , shots and all. Anyway the silver lining is, look at all the compassionate gun owners speaking their mind.. lol..
Hope the cat gets well and the people that did this open their eyes..wtf..

Happy Shootin
Johncola36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 22:06   #222
FCastle88

Quote:
Who said you had to tolerate an injury or expense? There are gentlemanly ways to handle it. No kidding, and this is a little too convenient, but I just chased a cat off of my wife's car. I spent a couple hours detailing it this weekend. I didn't do it with a hail of bullets and curses, but with a few loud claps and quiet curses. I happen to have video surveillance that I can see from my office desk.

The cat lived. I have not been charged with reckless discharge of a firearm, and my property is safe.

A gentleman, when he catches a piece or property of another damaging his own, can seek a recourse through simple discussion or through the courts if that should fail. A cretinous outlaw would ruin the property of another without at least trying to come to a more reasonable agreement.

Which one do you claim to be again?
And what if the cat keeps coming back? What if it's a feral cat and they're is no one to talk to or sue for the damages it keeps causing? What if you have no idea who the owner is, if it even has one? You seem to be assuming every cat has an owner, and that people who trap or shoot them know said owner. Those are two very big assumptions.

I don't claim to be either, I have a problem, I solve it. Sometimes it really can be that simple.

Last edited by FCastle88; 08-20-2013 at 22:15..
Old 08-20-2013, 22:13   #223
jame
mange takk

[QUOTE=FCastle88;20557973 ......Sometimes it really can be that simple.[/QUOTE]

But most times, it's not.

Maybe it is in your neighborhood, but it's not in mine.
Old 08-20-2013, 22:33   #224
Snaps
Hail 2 The King

Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Favuzza View Post
Umm... It's just a cat. You guys want to actually harm or kill a human (most likely a child dicking around....you've never been a young ***hole I'm sure) because a cat may have been shot? Come on now.
eh I kinda agree but I hate cats.

I was handcuffed in the back of a police car many years back for beating a man who'd hit my dog when he was a puppy and slipped his collar. Luckily the maint guy at my apt complex told them I didn't start it and they let me out
Old 08-20-2013, 23:21   #225
AZ Husker

I believe that was back in 1985 and I don't remember the case number or even the names, I've been retired too long. Arizona does hold animal owners responsible for any damages done or injuries caused by their pets while running loose, plus any injuries caused while in the owner's home or yard (unless of course it is an uninvited guest or criminal). Many folks around here think there is only a leash law for dogs. Phoenix city ordinances say ANY animal running at large. Animal bites are a huge liability. Especially if the investigator can prove prior history of bites or the animal running at large negligently. Large settlements! When I investigated a dog bite the first thing I would do is photograph the inevitable signs warning of "Beware of Dog". That simply said the owner already knew of the propensity of the dog to bite. Plaintiff's lawyers loved that.