GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2013, 05:47   #226
Cavalry Doc
Silver Membership
MAJ (USA Ret.)
 
Cavalry Doc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 41,384


Quote:
Originally Posted by FCastle88 View Post
And what if the cat keeps coming back? What if it's a feral cat and they're is no one to talk to or sue for the damages it keeps causing? What if you have no idea who the owner is, if it even has one? You seem to be assuming every cat has an owner, and that people who trap or shoot them know said owner. Those are two very big assumptions.

I don't claim to be either, I have a problem, I solve it. Sometimes it really can be that simple.
There are a lotta what-if's there. What if it was a bengal tiger and it was attacking your wife? We can all come up with the extremes. Lets try to stick closer to reality.




I live in the suburbs, most of the cats around here do have owners, and I know them by site. At the ranch I hunt at, you won't see a cat smaller than a bobcat. Anything smaller has been eaten by something bigger.

You will do what you want to do. You may even do it without ever being found out. I'd take a different path if one was available. If solving your problem means making it my problem (destruction or damage to my property), and I found out about it, you'd have some legal trouble. If it were one of my dogs, who are very well mannered themselves, I'd vigorously pursue, even at great expense, all legal options. Stuff gets expensive when you piss people off with disposable income.

Be a good neighbor.
Cavalry Doc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:58   #227
gommer
Senior Member
 
gommer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalry Doc View Post
There are a lotta what-if's there. What if it was a bengal tiger and it was attacking your wife? We can all come up with the extremes. Lets try to stick closer to reality.




I live in the suburbs, most of the cats around here do have owners, and I know them by site. At the ranch I hunt at, you won't see a cat smaller than a bobcat. Anything smaller has been eaten by something bigger.

You will do what you want to do. You may even do it without ever being found out. I'd take a different path if one was available. If solving your problem means making it my problem (destruction or damage to my property), and I found out about it, you'd have some legal trouble. If it were one of my dogs, who are very well mannered themselves, I'd vigorously pursue, even at great expense, all legal options. Stuff gets expensive when you piss people off with disposable income.

Be a good neighbor.
Not sure about making a comparison like that to a bengal tiger in the suburbs...

Where I live there were a lot of foreclosures in a relatively small area -- and some wooded area mixed in.

We have a very real issue with feral cats here.


Not going to get into the whole debate over killing cats or not - but I will say that saying all cats have owners is a very area specific thing. Nobody in our neighborhood allows their cats to roam BECAUSE of the feral cats.

Just had a woman move in next door - she let her cat roam the first night they lived there - the next morning she took it to the vet. She didn't get into details - but she said it was bad enough she thought it was dead, blood everywhere kinda deal.
gommer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:21   #228
Cavalry Doc
Silver Membership
MAJ (USA Ret.)
 
Cavalry Doc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 41,384


Quote:
Originally Posted by gommer View Post
Not sure about making a comparison like that to a bengal tiger in the suburbs...

Where I live there were a lot of foreclosures in a relatively small area -- and some wooded area mixed in.

We have a very real issue with feral cats here.


Not going to get into the whole debate over killing cats or not - but I will say that saying all cats have owners is a very area specific thing. Nobody in our neighborhood allows their cats to roam BECAUSE of the feral cats.

Just had a woman move in next door - she let her cat roam the first night they lived there - the next morning she took it to the vet. She didn't get into details - but she said it was bad enough she thought it was dead, blood everywhere kinda deal.
Obviously there are going to be variances in location and situation. But the "I have a problem, I solve it. Sometimes it really can be that simple." attitude implies that one is limited in their imagination when it comes to problem solving. When the only tool you have is a hammer......

It's not that hard to be a good neighbor, that includes expecting your neighbors to be good neighbors too, and letting them know if they are falling short of the mark.


Last edited by Cavalry Doc; 08-21-2013 at 08:21..
Cavalry Doc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:42   #229
Stevekozak
Returning video
 
Stevekozak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalry Doc View Post
Just keep to your good senses. Do business, and offer kindness to gentle folk. Don't give anything, including the time of day to boors and cretins.

I give everyone the benefit of the doubt, the first time. I always ask nicely, the first time. I hate to be a jerk, but I'm real good at it. It's a skill. I've impressed more than one lawyer in that regard. Hurt one of mine, and I mean kids and dogs alike, and I'll make you wish you didn't. It'll cost you as much as I can legally make it cost you. If that means prison for animal cruelty, I'll be the guy laughing out loud at your sentencing hearing, and insulting your mum.



Due unto others....... There is a lot of wisdom there.
This is funny, right here! Cav Doc coming on talking widely and valiantly about being a gentleman and civility and then saying he is going to insult someone's mother!! Having read a lot of CD's posts in the past, I am going to assume he is joking about that part and added it for comedic effect, but it still struck me as funny!
__________________
"You fight until you die. That's the whole deal in life. PERIOD." Regular Joe
Stevekozak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:53   #230
Cavalry Doc
Silver Membership
MAJ (USA Ret.)
 
Cavalry Doc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 41,384


Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevekozak View Post
This is funny, right here! Cav Doc coming on talking widely and valiantly about being a gentleman and civility and then saying he is going to insult someone's mother!! Having read a lot of CD's posts in the past, I am going to assume he is joking about that part and added it for comedic effect, but it still struck me as funny!
I'm a complex kind of guy. I also have a twisted sense of humor. It'll grow on you.




Of course I wouldn't hold the mum responsible for the misdeeds of the adult offspring. At some point, personal responsibility kicks in. I think it is somewhere around 12 for many things, and as late as 18 for others.

Last edited by Cavalry Doc; 08-21-2013 at 08:54..
Cavalry Doc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:49   #231
ithaca_deerslayer
Senior Member
 
ithaca_deerslayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Upstate NY, USA
Posts: 18,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
I believe that was back in 1985 and I don't remember the case number or even the names, I've been retired too long. Arizona does hold animal owners responsible for any damages done or injuries caused by their pets while running loose, plus any injuries caused while in the owner's home or yard (unless of course it is an uninvited guest or criminal). Many folks around here think there is only a leash law for dogs. Phoenix city ordinances say ANY animal running at large. Animal bites are a huge liability. Especially if the investigator can prove prior history of bites or the animal running at large negligently. Large settlements! When I investigated a dog bite the first thing I would do is photograph the inevitable signs warning of "Beware of Dog". That simply said the owner already knew of the propensity of the dog to bite. Plaintiff's lawyers loved that.
Thanks for the info. My dad moved from NY out to AZ. Said he had to fence his own property if he wanted to keep cows out. That makes sense to me.

Perhaps the same law could, or principle, could apply to cats?

I know they do herd cats like livestock nowadays. I saw it on a Super Bowl commerical
ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 13:56   #232
grousemaster
Grousemaster
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 62
Let your cat run free....but can you guarantee it won't mess with pheasants, duck eggs, etc? Then I can't guarantee your cat wont get get shot if I see it near my pheasant spot.
__________________
"Aim small, miss small"
grousemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 14:35   #233
*ASH*
Senior Member
 
*ASH*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: nc
Posts: 22,103
gotta love GT you just never know which topic will go viral
__________________
'Most people have a regulator between their mind and mouth that modulates their brutish sentiments and spikiest impulses.
*ASH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 14:46   #234
AK_Stick
AAAMAD
 
AK_Stick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Alaska, again (for now)
Posts: 20,171
Send a message via AIM to AK_Stick Send a message via Yahoo to AK_Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalry Doc View Post
There are a lotta what-if's there. What if it was a bengal tiger and it was attacking your wife? We can all come up with the extremes. Lets try to stick closer to reality.




I live in the suburbs, most of the cats around here do have owners, and I know them by site. At the ranch I hunt at, you won't see a cat smaller than a bobcat. Anything smaller has been eaten by something bigger.

You will do what you want to do. You may even do it without ever being found out. I'd take a different path if one was available. If solving your problem means making it my problem (destruction or damage to my property), and I found out about it, you'd have some legal trouble. If it were one of my dogs, who are very well mannered themselves, I'd vigorously pursue, even at great expense, all legal options. Stuff gets expensive when you piss people off with disposable income.

Be a good neighbor.

Its funny all this talk about "being a good neighbor" and threats about legal attacks, could be solved easily if you could be bothered to be a responsible pet owner, and shockingly enough, a good neighbor, by keeping your cat confined to your property.


Unfortunately, this seems to be a common failing amongst pet owners these days, and probably accounts for why so many pets simply end up missing. But its the guy who ends up having to deal with the issues of unwanted, and unsupervised animals frequenting his property who's the bad neighbor.
__________________
Quote:
Thomas Paine:

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"
AK_Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 15:06   #235
jame
mange takk
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Central Iowa
Posts: 5,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by *ASH* View Post
gotta love GT you just never know which topic will go viral

Amen to that one, brother.
jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 16:15   #236
gwalchmai
Lucky Member
 
gwalchmai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Outside the perimeter
Posts: 44,235


Quote:
Originally Posted by jame View Post
Attachment 235186

And I'm none too happy about it.
That's just wrong. Is the kitty OK?
gwalchmai is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 16:57   #237
relayman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: The deep South
Posts: 969
My neighbors think it's ok to let their cats run loose and occasionally one will decide that my flower beds make a good litterbox . That's when I break out the Hava-Heart trap . Bye bye kitty . Three so far .
relayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 19:02   #238
Cavalry Doc
Silver Membership
MAJ (USA Ret.)
 
Cavalry Doc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 41,384


Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Stick View Post
Its funny all this talk about "being a good neighbor" and threats about legal attacks, could be solved easily if you could be bothered to be a responsible pet owner, and shockingly enough, a good neighbor, by keeping your cat confined to your property.


Unfortunately, this seems to be a common failing amongst pet owners these days, and probably accounts for why so many pets simply end up missing. But its the guy who ends up having to deal with the issues of unwanted, and unsupervised animals frequenting his property who's the bad neighbor.
I am a responsible pet owner. My pets only leave my property in my presence.

I don't take permanent actions against another person's property as a normal course of action.

I get along great with my neighbors. How you doing with yours?
Cavalry Doc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 19:19   #239
AK_Stick
AAAMAD
 
AK_Stick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Alaska, again (for now)
Posts: 20,171
Send a message via AIM to AK_Stick Send a message via Yahoo to AK_Stick
I get along just fine with mine. They all know I'm the kid with a tractor who plows the road before the state gets out, and keeps the mail boxes clear, or pulls them out of the ditch when they get stuck.
__________________
Quote:
Thomas Paine:

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"
AK_Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 23:00   #240
Al Czervik
My arm!
 
Al Czervik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bushwood
Posts: 1,687
The internet bravado is strong in this one.
After all of the haughty advice of talking it out, hell for hurting other's pets, and I'll get you threats, there is a general failure to understand that people are irresponsible with pets and many are immature, irrational, and of the belief their pets may do whatever they please. Speaking to these sort of people is meaningless and serves only to make them mad.
After enduring this sort of nonsense and knucklehead pet owners, I won't mention a thing. Cats just anonymously head over to the shelter. If the owner wants Fluffs back, they can pay the fine. If not, so be it. Sleep will not be lost, there is no legal recourse if Fluffs, the late night the herb garden pooper wanders into my live trap and is hauled away by the dog catcher. Be a good neighbor and keep Fluffs where she belongs.
Out on the ranch, where laws still respect property rights, if a dog makes it long enough to avoid the coyotes and messes with the stock, the owner will be short a dog and be handed a bill. Again, no legal issues.
I have not poured over the responses, but at first glance, I don't read that anyone is wanting to torture, maim, or kill animals for the fun of it. I doubt many of those kind of folks pop in here for shop talk, quantum mechanics, airplanes, helos, Bravias, bigfeet, BBQ, or the occasional math lesson.
Perhaps I'm just an uncivilized cretin, but it is not rational to put up with repeated violations by other's pets or to not stop Fido from wadding a bunch of cows into a fence.
Al Czervik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 23:13   #241
AZ Husker
Senior Member
 
AZ Husker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 4,286
Well said.
__________________
Luck will run out, but skill will survive.
AZ Husker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:39   #242
Beeman
NRA MEMBER
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: OH
Posts: 669
Send a message via AIM to Beeman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Czervik View Post
Out on the ranch, where laws still respect property rights, if a dog makes it long enough to avoid the coyotes and messes with the stock, the owner will be short a dog and be handed a bill. Again, no legal issues.
I have not poured over the responses, but at first glance, I don't read that anyone is wanting to torture, maim, or kill animals for the fun of it. I doubt many of those kind of folks pop in here for shop talk, quantum mechanics, airplanes, helos, Bravias, bigfeet, BBQ, or the occasional math lesson.
Perhaps I'm just an uncivilized cretin, but it is not rational to put up with repeated violations by other's pets or to not stop Fido from wadding a bunch of cows into a fence.

Well said. I love my dog, but don't let him out of my fenced in yard. People around here don't think it's a big deal if their dog chases cattle or kills sheep, or see their cat killing poultry as a problem. Some folks think it's cruel to keep their dog in a fenced yard or their cat in the house. I don't get that line of thinking. Loose pets around here become food for coyotes, owls, and hawks, or get taken care of by the farmers. A person who honestly loves their pets won't let them roam to where they can be ate, shot, poisoned or taken to the pound.
Beeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:43   #243
Vic777
Senior Member
 
Vic777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,460
America is a sick place filled with morons.
__________________
"It's Tom Dwan's World, we just live in it"
Vic777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:56   #244
AZ Husker
Senior Member
 
AZ Husker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 4,286
And irresponsible pet owners.
__________________
Luck will run out, but skill will survive.
AZ Husker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 02:07   #245
Vic777
Senior Member
 
Vic777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,460
So kill the pet? Get a life. Makes me think a totalitarian State is the way to go. I would be just fine as a high ranking member of the Government Class.
__________________
"It's Tom Dwan's World, we just live in it"

Last edited by Vic777; 08-22-2013 at 02:09..
Vic777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 02:40   #246
AZ Husker
Senior Member
 
AZ Husker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 4,286
Nowhere in this long post has anyone condoned killing a pet, unless it was attacking people or livestock. Get your panties out of your butt and admit that cat owners are very irresponsible when it comes to keeping their animals contained to their own property. What makes them so special that they can allow their animals to run at large and trespass on other homeowner's private property? I said before and I'll say it again...I warned all my neighbors far in advance to put a tag on their cat and if I caught it I would bring it home ONCE. If that doesn't get their attention they must not care much for their animal.
__________________
Luck will run out, but skill will survive.
AZ Husker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 03:31   #247
ShallNotBeInfringed
NRA Business Al
 
ShallNotBeInfringed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: NRA Benefactor Life Member Nebraska
Posts: 1,238
I bet you a dollar, you walked up to each neighbor and warned them, one time was the limit. BS. Are your neighbors all pushing walkers and 90 years old?

You walk up to an able bodied person and tell them you are hunting their pets, with intentions of eradication, one way or the other, and just who do you think would come up missing, tabby, or you?

Talk is cheep on the internet, no neighbor would put up with your threats.

I can't believe the mods let people post what amounts to death wishes for four legged family members.



sent from my rotary wall phone
__________________
19 21 Cutaways 19 19C 20 20SF 21 21C 23 23C 32 32C 22LR 460 Glock Armorer
Nebraska Concealed Carry Instructor, 32 years CC Experience1981-2013 Retired FFL1991-2001
NRA Benefactor Life NRA CRSO NRA instructor RSOi CPi PPITHi PPOTHi RTBAVi
ShallNotBeInfringed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:32   #248
FCastle88
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: PA
Posts: 1,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShallNotBeInfringed View Post
I bet you a dollar, you walked up to each neighbor and warned them, one time was the limit. BS. Are your neighbors all pushing walkers and 90 years old?

You walk up to an able bodied person and tell them you are hunting their pets, with intentions of eradication, one way or the other, and just who do you think would come up missing, tabby, or you?

Talk is cheep on the internet, no neighbor would put up with your threats.

I can't believe the mods let people post what amounts to death wishes for four legged family members.



sent from my rotary wall phone
I can't believe the mods let people post thinly veiled threats to kill PEOPLE who take their stray cat to the shelter because the owner doesn't care enough to keep it off other peoples' property.
FCastle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:36   #249
Vic777
Senior Member
 
Vic777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,460
first you say ...
Quote:
Nowhere in this long post has anyone condoned killing a pet,
then you say ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
What makes them so special that they can allow their animals to run at large and trespass on other homeowner's private property? I said before and I'll say it again...I warned all my neighbors far in advance to put a tag on their cat and if I caught it I would bring it home ONCE.
U da Man! Not! We're talking about a cat here right? A domestic cat, right? You need professional help.
__________________
"It's Tom Dwan's World, we just live in it"

Last edited by Vic777; 08-22-2013 at 05:39..
Vic777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:52   #250
Stevekozak
Returning video
 
Stevekozak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShallNotBeInfringed View Post
I bet you a dollar, you walked up to each neighbor and warned them, one time was the limit. BS. Are your neighbors all pushing walkers and 90 years old?

You walk up to an able bodied person and tell them you are hunting their pets, with intentions of eradication, one way or the other, and just who do you think would come up missing, tabby, or you?

Talk is cheep on the internet, no neighbor would put up with your threats.

I can't believe the mods let people post what amounts to death wishes for four legged family members.



sent from my rotary wall phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic777 View Post
first you say ...

then you say ...
U da Man! Not! We're talking about a cat here right? A domestic cat, right? You need professional help.
I am curious why the two of you seem so incapable of reading words and understanding them. AZHusker has said repeatedly that he does not "hunt" these pets, but rather live traps them on HIS property and if they are animals that have been returned to owners once before, he takes them to the animal shelter, where the owners are free to go pick them up at their expense.
__________________
"You fight until you die. That's the whole deal in life. PERIOD." Regular Joe
Stevekozak is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 19:40.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,494
473 Members
1,021 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42