Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Closed Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 15:11   #101
All Pro Sports Hero
Glock Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphertext View Post
What are you seeing about the school in the video? Can you tell how it compares to other schools in standardized tests? Can you tell how it ranks against other schools in performance or pass fail rates?
Nice try, but I'm not your average, every day message board mush brain. I won't be so easily baited into your fantasy world of rose colored delusion. I live in reality.

Standardized tests? Pass/fail rates? What thread are you reading?

Look, the inherent danger of putting any child who's not willing to embrace such low IQ/high volume urban pack mentality into a school environment such as the one portrayed in the Kmart ads is screamingly obvious.

Oh, and just give those liíl angels a couple more years to hone to their skillzzz. It will only get worse.
Old 08-15-2013, 16:13   #102
cyphertext

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Pro Sports Hero View Post
Nice try, but I'm not your average, every day message board mush brain. I won't be so easily baited into your fantasy world of rose colored delusion. I live in reality.
I'm not sure what reality you are living in. You have not been able to identify any drug use, sex, violence, or anything remotely thuggish in the video.

Quote:
Standardized tests? Pass/fail rates? What thread are you reading?
You asked parents if they would let their children attend school there. My argument is that you know nothing of the school the children attend based on the video. If this were an in school project vs. an after school project, I would argue that the school had a great theater arts and choir department to produce such a project. If I were choosing a school for my child, I would base it on results of the school when compared to others in the district, not a K-mart advertisement. The kids did another song about khaki pants and school uniforms...so which school do they go to?

Quote:
Look, the inherent danger of putting any child who's not willing to embrace such low IQ/high volume urban pack mentality into a school environment such as the one portrayed in the Kmart ads is screamingly obvious.
What "urban pack mentality? They are riding a freaking bus to school... same thing that my son does out here in the suburbs. And when he was in grade school, at recess, he hung out with his friends, in a group. They might have even played some football or basketball... Is that "urban pack mentality", or is it different because my son is white?

Quote:
Oh, and just give those liíl angels a couple more years to hone to their skillzzz. It will only get worse.
This speaks volumes of your reality... Are you wearing your robe as you typed this? You know nothing about these kids and are making assumptions based on the color of their skin.
Old 08-15-2013, 16:46   #103
hpracing007

Oh, and just give those liíl angels a couple more years to hone to their skillzzz. It will only get worse.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure they'll be fine, they are rapping about going to school, which is good, yes?
Old 08-15-2013, 17:04   #104
All Pro Sports Hero
Glock Star

Quote:
This speaks volumes of your reality... Are you wearing your robe as you typed this? You know nothing about these kids and are making assumptions based on the color of their skin.
And there it is, the race card.

cypher, I really mean no ill will, but I cannot be barked into a corner where I'm forced to declare "I have black friends" or some other tired cliche'. I believe it's clear to anyone without an agenda that my issue is with the behavior of those individuals in the commercial.
Old 08-15-2013, 17:09   #105
hpracing007

Quote:
I believe it's clear to anyone without an agenda that my issue is with the behavior of those individuals in the commercial.
If you have a problem with a bunch of kids rapping, regardless of what they are saying, you are the one with the agenda, not anyone and everyone who disagrees with you. What behavior are you even talking about?

Last edited by hpracing007; 08-15-2013 at 17:09..
Old 08-15-2013, 17:31   #106
cyphertext

Quote:

cypher, I really mean no ill will, but I cannot be barked into a corner where I'm forced to declare "I have black friends" or some other tired cliche'. I believe it's clear to anyone without an agenda that my issue is with the behavior of those individuals in the commercial.
I and several others have asked you many times, what behavior? Rapping about riding a school bus and getting clothes is bad behavior? Where is the sex, drugs, and violence that you allude to?

Do you feel the same way about this video? Would you let your kids attend this school?

Old 08-15-2013, 18:09   #107
SDGlock23
Glockoholic

Kmart is acting strange

Old 08-15-2013, 18:47   #108
RedTop

Quote:
I and several others have asked you many times, what behavior? Rapping about riding a school bus and getting clothes is bad behavior? Where is the sex, drugs, and violence that you allude to?

Do you feel the same way about this video? Would you let your kids attend this school?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0jj-HNhTAU

To be fair, those are not kids in the video you posted. They're grown, mature adults who are just having fun. Futhermore, the dude who rapped that song is anything but an inner-city thug.

One poster summed it up nicely in an earlier post, Kmart knows their base. I'm not sure why you are getting so uptight about it.
Old 08-15-2013, 19:50   #109
cyphertext

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTop View Post
To be fair, those are not kids in the video you posted. They're grown, mature adults who are just having fun. Futhermore, the dude who rapped that song is anything but an inner-city thug.

One poster summed it up nicely in an earlier post, Kmart knows their base. I'm not sure why you are getting so uptight about it.
Because he stated that the kids are participating in thuggish behavior by participating in an after school program that is anti violence, anti drug, and anti bullying.

The kids rapping in the commercial are anything but inner city thugs.

Last edited by cyphertext; 08-15-2013 at 20:25..
Old 08-15-2013, 20:30   #110
hockeyrcks9901

Quote:
I believe it's clear to anyone without an agenda that my issue is with the behavior of those individuals in the commercial.
What behavior???

Rapping? Rapping is a form of musical expression. My grandparents hated rock music. My mother hates rap music. I happen to love both of them. The content of the songs they create talk about khaki pants and the school bus which seem like pretty good things to be creating music about.

You keep talking about behavior this and behavior that but what you fail to mention is your preconceived notions about rap are influencing how you feel about these kids and commercials the same way your parents preconceived notions about rock music influenced the way they felt about the music you enjoy(ed).

Last edited by hockeyrcks9901; 08-15-2013 at 20:30..
Old 08-15-2013, 20:42   #111
*ASH*

lemme jump back in lol .

the kids in the videos are emulating rappers , with the hand signs , the gold chains , showing the benjamins . i mean call it whatever you want but its still kids trying to be gangsta .

you take out those kids stick some grown rappers in there like lil wayne , and others its still shows what they are trying to promote . Kmart GRASPING AT STRAWS . most folks who i know who have seen the commercials think they are stupid and or trying to play up the role of thugs .

you can see it plain as day lol people see it different thats ok . i think its stupid , in poor taste and i have not been in a kmart in 10 years and dont plan on for another 10 if they last that long

Old 08-15-2013, 20:55   #112
hockeyrcks9901

Quote:
Originally Posted by *ASH* View Post
lemme jump back in lol .

the kids in the videos are emulating rappers , with the hand signs , the gold chains , showing the benjamins . i mean call it whatever you want but its still kids trying to be gangsta .

you take out those kids stick some grown rappers in there like lil wayne , and others its still shows what they are trying to promote . Kmart GRASPING AT STRAWS . most folks who i know who have seen the commercials think they are stupid and or trying to play up the role of thugs .

you can see it plain as day lol people see it different thats ok . i think its stupid , in poor taste and i have not been in a kmart in 10 years and dont plan on for another 10 if they last that long

Just thought I'd point out that my post was not about the commercials, just kids rapping. I think the commercials are dumb.
Old 08-15-2013, 21:24   #113
LASTRESORT20
LongTerm-Guy

Quote:
lemme jump back in lol .

~ "the kids in the videos are emulating rappers , with the hand signs , the gold chains , showing the benjamins . i mean call it whatever you want but its still kids trying to be gangsta" ~

`Your right Ash...easy to see...dont have to be K-mart rap video either.... K-mart just playin off it...

Warning Language:

Old 08-15-2013, 21:32   #114
686Owner
NRA Life Member

Quote:

It's clear what your problem with the commercial is alright. Crystal clear.

Their behavior is singing and dancing. You have a problem with singing and dancing do ya?
Old 08-15-2013, 21:32   #115
cyphertext

Quote:
lemme jump back in lol .

I'm not saying that it is a great song or commercial, but they are not emulating the behavior or rapping about the same thing as gangsta rappers. They are copying a style of rap, and some fashion trends, but it is quite age appropriate. There are Christian rappers that wear the same fashion, have the same style, but their raps are not about violence and drug use either.

What's wrong with taking a group of kids, getting them involved in something they are interested in, giving them guidance and supervision to keep the activity age appropriate, giving them a sense of accomplishment and keeping them off the streets and out of trouble?
Old 08-15-2013, 21:37   #116
*ASH*

Quote:
I'm not saying that it is a great song or commercial, but they are not emulating the behavior or rapping about the same thing as gangsta rappers. They are copying a style of rap, and some fashion trends, but it is quite age appropriate. There are Christian rappers that wear the same fashion, have the same style, but their raps are not about violence and drug use either.

What's wrong with taking a group of kids, getting them involved in something they are interested in, giving them guidance and supervision to keep the activity age appropriate, giving them a sense of accomplishment and keeping them off the streets and out of trouble?
nobody knows if it will keep them out of trouble , or off the streets , it might just push them more that way . who knows . people get what they want out of the videos . ive stated my opinion im not gonna dragged down in this thread and banter . it proves nothing .
Old 08-15-2013, 21:40   #117
686Owner
NRA Life Member

Quote:
lemme jump back in lol .

And Tom and Jerry promote violence when they hit each other with hammers.

Both examples are so far removed it's absurd to even compare them.
Old 08-15-2013, 21:45   #118
cyphertext

Quote:
nobody knows if it will keep them out of trouble , or off the streets , it might just push them more that way . who knows . people get what they want out of the videos . ive stated my opinion im not gonna dragged down in this thread and banter . it proves nothing .
It may not in the future, but it seems to be doing it today. Just like school athletics, JROTC, Boy Scouts, 4H, etc... They give the kids an outlet and try to keep them busy and out of trouble. Some kids may stray, and others may never get involved, but the programs do more good than harm.
Old 08-15-2013, 21:47   #119
cyphertext

Quote:
Originally Posted by LASTRESORT20 View Post
`Your right Ash...easy to see...dont have to be K-mart rap video either.... K-mart just playin off it...

Warning Language:

Little Kid Rapping - Kills it! - YouTube
The kids in the K-mart video aren't doing even closely the same thing as this kid...no warning needed for the K-mart ad.
Old 08-15-2013, 21:50   #120
686Owner
NRA Life Member

Quote:
It may not in the future, but it seems to be doing it today. Just like school athletics, JROTC, Boy Scouts, 4H, etc... They give the kids an outlet and try to keep them busy and out of trouble. Some kids may stray, and others may never get involved, but the programs do more good than harm.
JROTC is just training killers. What kind of parent would let their kid be involved with that?
Old 08-15-2013, 21:55   #121
cyphertext

Quote:
Originally Posted by 686Owner View Post
JROTC is just training killers. What kind of parent would let their kid be involved with that?
Since my son was issued his blues today, I guess crappy ones that support thug culture.
Old 08-15-2013, 22:55   #122
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyguy View Post
Thug culture.

I'm sure Trayvon Martins parents are glad he embraced it.

Unfortunately all that matters is the bottom line.

Regards,
Happyguy
I'm sure you are right - the money they got, from the settled lawsuit, donations, etc., was a lot more than Trayvon would have ever been worth to them.
Old 08-16-2013, 04:47   #123
happyguy
Na Ben Don Chat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
I'm sure you are right - the money they got, from the settled lawsuit, donations, etc., was a lot more than Trayvon would have ever been worth to them.
Good point.

Regards,
Happyguy
Old 08-16-2013, 04:53   #124
pugman

1) If its the commercial I'm thinking of I noticed all the kids in it are black except 1

2) I don't care about the music. I like some rap

3) People wonder why I watch very little TV now a days. If you want to avoid this crap there are a LOT of ways to avoid commercials by watching it on line. If you are hooked on a show (full disclosure I just "discovered" The Big Bang Theory) there are dozens of sites you can watch entire seasons commercial free.

4) If you have cable, my provider offers an On Demand service where shows are available about a week after they air with a fast forward function--just buzz by the commercials.

5) If its any relief, KMart is the Chrysler of the retail world. How this store has remained in business surprises everyone.

6) I'm not a parent; however I see what is happening today between our nation's children's weight and attention span. ANY parent who lets their child watch 95% of what is on television should question their judgement. In a lot of cases, even what is considered as educational programing has me shaking my head.

But I get your point. American culture is changing faster every year. I went to my nephew's 8th grade graduation and overhead some conversations. When asked what they were looking to be when they grow up some of the answers were down right scary. Vampires....yes, kids old enough to know better said they wanted to be a vampire. A second "wanted to be just like mom." BTW, mom is a third generation welfare collector. She, her mom and their grandma all live in a trailer park here in my small town.

I'm only in my mid 40's and am already shaking my head like an old man

Last edited by pugman; 08-16-2013 at 06:03..
Old 08-16-2013, 05:51   #125
ChuteTheMall
What Difference

I thought it was a commercial for home schooling.
Closed Thread

Tags
kalishnakev