GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-04-2013, 09:46   #61
vikingsoftpaw

The Panama Canal will be obsolete. We will have a true Northwest Passage for the first time.

"Though defensive violence will always be 'a sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." - St. Augustine
vikingsoftpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:51   #62
FullClip
CLM Number 171
NRA Benefactor

I'll be selling my Ski-Doo, ice auger and tip-ups real cheap!!

Until I wake up and find palm trees and hula-skirt ladies dancing in the back yard, I ain't gonna' get rid of my Fisher Plow and snow shovels..
Old 08-04-2013, 10:24   #63
Cubdriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by canis latrans View Post
science is not based on implication or probable cause.

you are asking us to DRASTICALLY change our lifestyles and give up many more personal Liberties (at a cost of TRILLIONS of dollars) to implement a set of protocols that may or may not be related to a problem that may or may not even exist.

does it make any sense to rush into such a scheme?
Rush? Come on, we've been talking about global warming (err... I mean 'climate change') for a good twenty years now, haven't we? (and the returning ice age fifteen years before that, but who's counting.)

That's not rushing...

-Pat
Old 08-04-2013, 10:34   #64
canis latrans

Quote:
Originally Posted by G19Tony View Post
Algore? When did you join GT?
not Algore. it's allanc.
canis latrans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:54   #65
Cybercowboy
Support the 2nd

The problem with the warmists is that their models failed in their predictions. The last 15 years or so have had no statistically significant warming. According to their various models, there should have been at least 1 degree C more warming than there is. Therefore their models are incorrect. Also their models rely on positive feedbacks when nature seems to abhor such things. More CO2, more warming, more water vapor in the air, more clouds to reflect sunlight. That's a negative feedback, not a positive. Add to that as CO2 concentrations double, the warming effect falls off at a logarithmic rate. That means that at 400 PPM, where we are now, if it doubled to 800 PPM it would not cause double the warming, but only about 1/2 as much as when it went from 200 PPM to 400 PPM.

At any rate, those who are enamored with climate scientists, who as a group seem to be a rather shady bunch (ClimateGate anyone?) and who absolutely have incentives to exaggerate claims in order to keep their jobs high-profile. Back in the early 80's a climate scientist worked in obscurity. Now they enjoy huge grants, rock-star status compared to a biologist or some other field.

The warmists love to say all the skeptics are funded by Big Energy or whatever, but it's ridiculous. Science is supposed to be skeptical, yet they won't have it. They have their agenda and by God they are going to see it through.
Old 08-04-2013, 13:06   #66
larry_minn
Silver Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingsoftpaw View Post
The Panama Canal will be obsolete. We will have a true Northwest Passage for the first time.
Actually it was a passage long ago. This dang climate runs in CYCLES.

We have reduced emissions greatly in this country. The old factories put out a lot. The cost of reductions was cheap (for amount of reduction) Thing is only the USA is doing it.

At point we are at. Reductions in emission is expensive for results. (The first 60% was "easy, cheap" Now we are to point where its hard to reduce emissions WITHOut huge costs. (and many HIDDEN enviromental harms) I.E equipment with limited life (so has to be replaced early with all costs/enviromental harm making/setting up new) more fuel/power to do same job.
So in some areas we are at point of dimishing returns.
larry_minn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 14:47   #67
muscogee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybercowboy View Post
The problem with the warmists is that their models failed in their predictions. The last 15 years or so have had no statistically significant warming.
Civil Liberties Issues
What's happening to all this ice if it's not melting?

Leona Helmsley
muscogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 14:51   #68
muscogee

Apparently no one has an informed opinion what this could do to Alaska.

Leona Helmsley
muscogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 17:22   #69
RimfireMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscogee View Post
Apparently no one has an informed opinion what this could do to Alaska.
If you are looking for an informed opinion, don't bother asking on GT because most of the posts will be nothing but misinformation from the ignorant. Do your own research and educate yourself. I guarantee you will be smarter than most of the members of GT.

I'll start you off with this...https://www.google.com/search?q=glob...w=1533&bih=902
RimfireMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 19:27   #70
ChuteTheMall
HildabeastHater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trew2Life View Post

The "trillions of dollars" I'm talking about is, the cost it will be in damages.
Well, I'm not going to pay for that. Let's leave that for the Obama generation, if they ever move out of Mom's basement.

I love global warming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canis latrans View Post
not Algore. it's allanc.
No, allanc was so thoroughly spanked, humiliated, and discredited so many times here because of his kooky global warming nonsense that he wouldn't have the guts to return, even under a new name.

He's freezing to death in Mojave now.
"He said he fired a burst at the chest and if they didn't fall fast enough, he fired a burst at the face. He never needed to reload and had enough on board so if he missed a shot or two he could catch up in the fight. " -Gabe Suarez, 2008

Last edited by ChuteTheMall; 08-04-2013 at 19:28..
ChuteTheMall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 19:33   #71
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Send a message via AIM to AK_Stick Send a message via Yahoo to AK_Stick
Man, I thought we had a ton of snow, a super late spring and one of the latest snow falls in history. Turns out AK is melting.

I love you lowers.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"
AK_Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 19:46   #72
engineer151515

Greenland might become green again.

Imagine that
Old 08-04-2013, 19:49   #73
coastal4974

North Pole Sees Unprecedented July Cold – Arctic Sees Shortest Summer On Record — ‘Normally the high Arctic has about 90 days above freezing. This year there was less than half that’

unprecedented-july-cold-arctic-sees-shortest-summer-on-record
Old 08-04-2013, 19:50   #74
XNDR17C
NRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscogee View Post
[IMG]
What's happening to all this ice ?
I asked that very same question when the glaciers receded from North America. The answer must have been global warming caused by the Wooly Mammoths and their dirty factories.
XNDR17C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 20:00   #75
countrygun

Sorry the fatalist pseudo science failed with me a long time ago. In 1977 we had experts come into my high school science class that said by the year 2005 we would be completely out of oil in the world, No more, nada, none and they had the science to "prove" it. Before they retired they passed on the ""Man caused global warming, or, no, it's cooling, or, no, it's changing some way an it's Man's fault" theory to another generation of folks who want to blame their own species for something, or pretend they are some enlightened form saving us from ourselves.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 20:26   #76
ChuteTheMall
HildabeastHater

It's a godless religion.
ChuteTheMall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 20:32   #77
Slug71

Thinking back, it seems all the "Global Warming" and "Climate Change" stuff started with the find of the hole in the Ozone Layer.

Last I checked though, the hole was closing again.
Bull Dawgs Club #571
Rimfire Club #571
Slug71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 20:52   #78
Slug71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trew2Life View Post
I'm not trying to downplay the impact of natural disasters like volcanoes and asteroids. I won't discount other physics like sunspots or Chandlers wobble. But man is also having a negative influence on the already fragile components of our environment.

These effects are real and measurable, as we can see from the effects of the man-made deforestation of the rain forests and the China smog (which, by the way is visible from space and is now spreading over Japan.)

These man made issues have real and exacting effects on the climate and simply because the effects may dwarf in comparison to volcanoes or ELE's or sunspots or wobbles is no reason to ignore them.
Had to put the flame suit on, but I do agree with this.

We certainly have affected the planet and the Ozone is proof of this. But I also do not buy into all the tree-hugger/ and Al Gore/political nonsense of this.

I think everything happening is a combination of both Natural events and our input. But as forum member Flying-Dutchman said, The solution is "Nothing". Our part will take care of itself. Businesses as well as us at home are becoming more efficient and "greener". Not because of "Global warming/Climate change", but because it saves Businesses money and the consumer benefits from their those savings too. It also saves us money at home.

All kitchen appliances, PCs, Printers, Monitors, Servers, Washers/Dryers, Electronics etc available today are far more energy efficient than they were just a few years ago. And will become even more efficient as technology progresses.
Vehicles too are becoming way more efficient and Diesel is also becoming more popular here in the States.
Home heating systems are also becoming very efficient.
Like all new technology though, the new stuff is pricey and takes a while for prices to come down for more people to be able to afford it. Eventually everyone will be using low energy, high efficiency equipment though.
But thats probably why gas prices are a little higher too. Lower consumption over the last few years is offset by raising the prices.
Bull Dawgs Club #571
Rimfire Club #571

Last edited by Slug71; 08-04-2013 at 21:13..
Slug71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 21:08   #79
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
It's a godless religion.
Which one?
I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, s**t-kickers, Methodists, and the GTDS.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Angry Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 21:26   #80
Tiro Fijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RimfireMan View Post
If you are looking for an informed opinion, don't bother asking on GT because most of the posts will be nothing but misinformation from the ignorant. Do your own research and educate yourself. I guarantee you will be smarter than most of the members of GT...

So then why do you post here if we're that ignorant, oh Enlightened One?
Tiro Fijo is offline   Reply With Quote