Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-03-2013, 14:14   #1
muscogee

What happens when the Arctic thaws?

For several years there's been talk about the Arctic thawing and ships being able to navigate the North Pole. Will the Japanese current flow through the Arctic to the Atlantic, Will the Gulf Stream flow to the Pacific, or will they meet somewhere in the Arctic Ocean?

What will this do the climate of Alaska? Will the Artic get warmer and wetter from warmer water flowing through it? Will the Japanese current that flows down the coast of Alaska slow down? If so, what will that do the ecology of the Alaskan coast?

Leona Helmsley
muscogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 14:42   #2
tadbart
duuuuude.

it's only frozen on the surface. submarines can get under there, so I assume water currents are going wherever they would have gone anyhow.

it has been an unusually hot summer in Alaska. and I gotta say, that in just the 8 years I've been vacationing up there, the glaciers i'm familiar with have gotten smaller...

G19
pointy stick
sharp wit
tadbart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 14:45   #3
Trew2Life
#the struggle

You see it for yourself happening right now in the form of severe weather patterns around the world.

In the long term, it's estimated that the increased level of methane will have devestating consequence of accelerating climate change; in the cost of trillions.
Old 08-03-2013, 15:03   #4
nursetim

CLIMATES CHANGE, IT'S WHAT THEY DO! Geez! We will adapt as we have always done. That or we will perish, one.
nursetim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 15:15   #5
aircarver
Silver Membership
Ride Continues

Arctic thaws ?

Don't hold your breath waiting for that to happen ....

http://www.climatedepot.com/2013/08/...han-half-that/
They'd created a vast, permanently unemployed underclass, dependent upon the Republic's stupendous welfare machine for its very existence, and in so doing, they'd sown the seeds of their own destruction. No one could place two-thirds of a world's population on the Dole and keep them there forever without the entire system crashing . . . but how in hell did one get them off the Dole? -David Weber, Flag in Exile
aircarver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 15:20   #6
Fred Hansen
Liberal Bane

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscogee View Post
For several years there's been talk about the Arctic thawing and ships being able to navigate the North Pole. Will the Japanese current flow through the Arctic to the Atlantic, Will the Gulf Stream flow to the Pacific, or will they meet somewhere in the Arctic Ocean?

What will this do the climate of Alaska? Will the Artic get warmer and wetter from warmer water flowing through it? Will the Japanese current that flows down the coast of Alaska slow down? If so, what will that do the ecology of the Alaskan coast?
According to the fantasy quote you carry around in your head, whitey gonna riot.

Hope you're ready. I'm reasonably sure that the Creepy-Ass Cracker Division passes muster.

BTW you may wish to familiarize yourself with fluid dynamics vis-a-vis arctic ocean currents and/or imagined lack thereof.

Civil Liberties Issues
When change is absolute there remains no being to improve and no direction is set for possible improvement: and when experience is not retained, as among savages, infancy is perpetual. - George Santayana
Fred Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 15:20   #7
RagnarDanneskjold
Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscogee View Post
What happens when the Arctic thaws?
California becomes a red state.
Old 08-03-2013, 15:35   #8
CitizenOfDreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagnarDanneskjold View Post
No, that usually happens when Hell freezes over.
CitizenOfDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 15:39   #9
Arquebus12
CLM Number 287
Non-broccophobe

The ocean will become an even bigger heat sink. Currents will change, and I understand that a lot of land in northern latitudes will become arable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

There ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with $700 and a .30-06.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Arquebus12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 15:44   #10
K.Kiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagnarDanneskjold View Post
Or they can become their own country where they can survive on their own with their own ideals... Then they can build a perimter wall to keep us out, of which I'm willing to donate toward that cause what I'm able ..

Back to climate change, if it gets drastic enough in the hundreds of years to come, it will act as population control which probably isn't bad for the planet... After life becomes a "be smart, and be tough or die" type enviroment, there will be no more liberals of lefties left... The toilet will be successfully flushed after the disappearance of protective laws that preserve idiots and parasites...
K.Kiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 15:48   #11
Magnus2131
Glock Gimp

The sky is falling!
And then gone and stuffed the gun up the ass of the Hajji bastard that shot me!
"RIP Jeff (23Skidoo)" and our Silent_Runner. 129,520
Magnus2131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 17:19   #12
BobbyS
You Talkin ToMe

Seems like the planet has been warming up since the ice age.
Old 08-03-2013, 17:29   #13
G19Tony
CLM Number 3
Sneet

The planet is doing what it's always done. I don't think the Earth even knows we're here.

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of those who threaten it.

"What's the point of living the majority of your life preparing for that last little bit?"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
G19Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 17:34   #14
robin303
Helicopter Nut

There will be alot more boats in demand.
"Honey I'll be going to the Row Your Boat drive thru for a 12pk you want anything."
Old 08-03-2013, 17:35   #15
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

We are in the early stages of an INTER-GLACIAL! It started ~10,000 years ago and could last for many tens of thousands of years. It's natural. A handful of large volcanic eruptions do more to promote global warming than we have ever done.
I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, s**t-kickers, Methodists, and the GTDS.

Angry Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 17:36   #16
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin303 View Post
There will be alot more boats in demand.
"Honey I'll be going to the Row Your Boat drive thru for a 12pk you want anything."
Save your energy, and call Lootie! Only if you like Heineken....
I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, s**t-kickers, Methodists, and the GTDS.

Angry Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 17:41   #17
RimfireMan

So much misinformation and misinformed, ignorant posters in this thread. Sorry, just keep living in your make-believe world.
RimfireMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 17:46   #18
wizzi01

Send a message via ICQ to wizzi01 Send a message via AIM to wizzi01
Quote:
Originally Posted by RimfireMan View Post
So much misinformation and misinformed, ignorant posters in this thread. Sorry, just keep living in your make-believe world.
The information you bring to this thread is? Or are you the only one that can read the plates?
wizzi01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 17:47   #19
Mayhem like Me
Semper Paratus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RimfireMan View Post
Because you have no idea either but want to sound important. ...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Ohub Campfire mobile app
Old 08-03-2013, 18:00   #20
RimfireMan

Examples of some of the blatant misinformation in this thread. I'm sure there will be much more posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircarver View Post
Arctic thaws ?

Don't hold your breath waiting for that to happen ....

http://www.climatedepot.com/2013/08/...han-half-that/
To use a popular phrase here, follow the money. http://www.desmogblog.com/marc-morano
Climate Depot is not very reliable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.Kiser View Post
Or they can become their own country where they can survive on their own with their own ideals... Then they can build a perimter wall to keep us out, of which I'm willing to donate toward that cause what I'm able ..

Back to climate change, if it gets drastic enough in the hundreds of years to come, it will act as population control which probably isn't bad for the planet... After life becomes a "be smart, and be tough or die" type enviroment, there will be no more liberals of lefties left... The toilet will be successfully flushed after the disappearance of protective laws that preserve idiots and parasites...
This is just laughable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G19Tony View Post
The planet is doing what it's always done. I don't think the Earth even knows we're here.
No, funny but almost all of the climate scientists would disagree with that statement. But maybe this poster is smarter than all of them. http://climate.nasa.gov/scientific-consensus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry Fist View Post
We are in the early stages of an INTER-GLACIAL! It started ~10,000 years ago and could last for many tens of thousands of years. It's natural. A handful of large volcanic eruptions do more to promote global warming than we have ever done.
This has been debunked so many times it isn't funny. Too bad the poster wants to keep stating lies.

http://environment.about.com/od/gree...olcano-gas.htm
http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=31313
http://news.discovery.com/earth/weat...ate-110627.htm
RimfireMan is offline   Reply With Quote