SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-22-2013, 17:16   #1
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quick Review on my new SW M&P Pro CORE 9mm

SW M&P Pro CORE 9mm. Holy smoly!!! What a name!!!

So, it all started when one day I got a wild hair and rented an M&P 9mm. Just the regular one. Though the trigger pull was rough and the reset was vague, it felt good in the hand, light recoil and was pleasant to shoot. I started asking people about better trigger pulls and somebody said that the Pro model has a much crisper trigger pull.

I went on SW home page and looked at the Pro model, and to my surprise they listed the CORE as optic adaptable from the factory. I had a hankering of dressing up a plastic phantastic with red dot/laser/flashlight just for giggles. So the CORE 9mm was purchased, and recently delivered to me. CORE stands for Competition Optics Ready Equipment - essentially it's precut for several popular mini red dot sights

I went with the 5-incher just for giggles. The most notable things are the slimmed down slide and the extra high iron sights. The slide has lightening grooves cut down the sides (gives the muzzle the appearance of a Browning HP) - my guess is that to compensate for the additional weight of a red dot sight to be mounted later. If you look at the top down photo, you see a plastic cap that is secured by two screws located between the rear sight and the ejection port. You unscrew and take off this plastic cap, then mount a red dot of your choice via using one of the bases that came with the gun case (pre-cut for Trijicon RMR, Leupold Delta Point, JP, Docter, C-More).

The sights are also extra taller so that they can be used as co-witness to the red dot sight.

General Firearms Forum
General Firearms Forum
General Firearms Forum
General Firearms Forum
General Firearms Forum
Old 07-22-2013, 17:32   #2
Cole125
Silver Membership

Very nice. Now get a RMR for that thing!
Cole125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 17:32   #3
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

I got a box of 115-gr ball PMC and 124-gr ball Lawman to try the gun out with at an indoors range. I was glad to have found two additional high-cap mags too.

The gun came with two mags, lock, paperwork, and two backstraps: Large and Small, with the medium already on the pistol. I swapped out for the Small. Easy to do except it's a bear to pry out the little tool that resides in the butt of the pistol grip.

Trigger pull is crisp after a bit of slack. Reset is stil vague and right now it does impede me a bit with rapid fire. I have a feeling that this trigger pull will take some use to.

The sights are tall as previously mentioned with three white dots. I blacked them out. My one complaint is that the rear sight U-notch is too narrow or something. I had a devil of a time with sight alignment and sight picture. The standard M&P9 has much better sight picture. More defined.

You can load the mags just by finger pressure. It's actually do-able unlike the Beretta PX4 mags.

The gun definitely has mechanical accuracy potential but I had a real issue with establishing good sight alignment and sight picture. Took several shot groups of each type of ammo to get into the groove.

General Firearms Forum
General Firearms Forum
General Firearms Forum
General Firearms Forum
General Firearms Forum
Old 07-22-2013, 17:33   #4
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole125 View Post
Very nice. Now get a RMR for that thing!
Leupold Delta Point. The brother ain't a fan of Trijicon products.
Old 07-22-2013, 17:40   #5
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

The sight picture issue definitely bugged me whenever it comes to precision aiming and shooting. It should be corrected when I mount a red dot sight.

However when it comes to the basic Mozambique drill of two to the chest and one to the head, the pistol's pointability and controllability definitely showed itself. At least out to 10-yds anyway. I tried the Mozambique drill at 15-yds and it was too embarassing to post. At such distance, one has to aim more and we're back to the sight alignment/sight picture issue again.

Overall, I am happy with the pistol. Especially with knowing that I don't have to use that stupid butt tool to drop the sear disconnect during the field disassembly process.

I'm gonna Buck Roger this mutha: Leupold Deltapoint, Streamlight TLR-2, some sort of Kydex holster that can take the gun with the Streamlight mounted. I'd be like Hawaii Five 0 McGarrett dude.

General Firearms Forum
General Firearms Forum
General Firearms Forum
General Firearms Forum
General Firearms Forum
Old 07-22-2013, 17:43   #6
skeeter7
Brass Vulture

Very nice! Congrats!
NECC #401
skeeter7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 17:52   #7
Glock21Owner
NRA Life Member

Nice pistol. At your leisure, could you post a pic of it with the large grip insert?
Glock21Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 18:16   #8
Steel Head
Tactical Cat

Congrats.
Can't wait for the Buck Rogers pic update.
Old 07-22-2013, 19:34   #9
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock21Owner View Post
Nice pistol. At your leisure, could you post a pic of it with the large grip insert?
Shoot, I don't have the box handy. It's several hundred miles away in my secret hideaway. But you can't really see the difference from the photo, but you can feel it. It isn't really that much bigger. I can feel the small insert gives it a wee bit smaller than the medium insert, but not by much.
Old 07-22-2013, 21:08   #10
s&wfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
Shoot, I don't have the box handy. It's several hundred miles away in my secret hideaway. But you can't really see the difference from the photo, but you can feel it. It isn't really that much bigger. I can feel the small insert gives it a wee bit smaller than the medium insert, but not by much.
I have 3 M&Ps and I like to run the small grip on all of them. I have fairly large hands. The M&P45 with the small grip feels very nice.
s&wfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 22:15   #11
Beanie-Bean

Nice review. Congrats on the new shooter! I've held one at one of the LGS, and I recall that the sights were really tall.

Beanie-Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 22:45   #12
bac1023

Congrats, fnfalman

I handled one of those recently and was impressed. Cool gun

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:44   #13
Glock40man

Thanks for the review fnfalman and, congrats!
Old 07-23-2013, 02:20   #14
TxGlock9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie-Bean View Post
Nice review. Congrats on the new shooter! I've held one at one of the LGS, and I recall that the sights were really tall.
They are tall to co-witness with the optics(but you knew that). Nice purchase for people that want to use it with RMR's in competition or casual shooting.

On another note: I bought a new FS M&P 9 as well. Didn't care for the C.O.R.E. Pro Series. The barrel lock up issues have been solved. Also the barrel twist rate has been improved to a 1:9 twist rate from the original 1:18. Much better for accuracy. The trigger also has been improved from the earlier model of M&P's. Tactile reset and nice light trigger. There were rumors of the new production M&P's having "shield-like" components. I guess it proved true. The break I would guess is right at 5lbs. Same gritty pre-travel, but that doesn't bother me. The CORE 40 pro series I handled today had the same trigger. All in all, I think S&W did a great job in improving and fixing the past issues with the 9mm accuracy it had with some of their pistols...

Last edited by TxGlock9; 07-23-2013 at 02:24..
TxGlock9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:33   #15
willieH

Nice gun and appreciate the review. I'd also be interested in your impressions after the optic is installed.
willieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:33   #16
TheJ
Lifetime Membership
NRA Life Member

Good review. Thanks!

The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function. -F. Scott Fitzgerald
TheJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:17   #17
glockdoc21

great review. I enjoy my twins (9mm FS and compact)
Old 07-23-2013, 08:26   #18
Nakanokalronin
JMB & MTK

Congrats! Sounds like your Pro dosn't have the updated reset/slide stop so it can be felt and heard. You'll get used to it in no time though unless you want to put in a RAM, however I'm not sure if there's any difference in the Pro model sear block...I wouldn't think so.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Nakanokalronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:14   #19
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakanokalronin View Post
Congrats! Sounds like your Pro dosn't have the updated reset/slide stop so it can be felt and heard. You'll get used to it in no time though unless you want to put in a RAM, however I'm not sure if there's any difference in the Pro model sear block...I wouldn't think so.
I don't know. It's a brand stankin' new gun that just made it to the shop. It definitely has a crisper trigger pull than the standard M&P.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:45   #20
Nakanokalronin
JMB & MTK

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
I don't know. It's a brand stankin' new gun that just made it to the shop. It definitely has a crisper trigger pull than the standard M&P.
I think that's because it's a Pro model. What's the test fire date? Since it's a C.O.R.E. model I'd figure it would have everything updated. I know the trigger pull and reset is quite noticeable on my FS9 and 9c both with a test fire date of late 3/13.

Last edited by Nakanokalronin; 07-23-2013 at 11:48..
Nakanokalronin is offline   Reply With Quote