SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:17   #1
Kichigai
気違い Was Mr30s

DIY grip plug for any Glock but specially for the 30s and 30sf

There have been multiple threads lately about Glock grip plugs and they are not made for the 30s and have been discontinued for the 30sf. Some people want one for appearance and some to keep out potential debris. I wanted one but they aren't available so the little voices started to speak to me and this is what I came up with. The project can be done for as little as .80 cents or if you do the full write up as much as $10.00. Reason being is that the paint used on the set screw you will see is $8.00 at your local auto store. I happened to already have it so the total cost for me was about $1.60 and took me about 15 minutes to do except for the paint drying time. What you will see is that if you take your time and do it properly there is very little difference in appearance between a purchased one and this one. Quick side note if they aren't made for your model you don't have many other options. Also if you are doing this for something other than a 30s or 30sf you will need a different size plug but they have a ton of choices at your local hardware store.

Here are the before pictures see below for the afters

General GlockingGeneral GlockingGeneral GlockingGeneral Glocking

This is the rubber plug that I used. You will notice from the pictures that they already come tapered which is perfect for fitting in the grip.

General GlockingGeneral Glocking

Last edited by Kichigai; 07-22-2013 at 08:21.. Reason: removed text
Kichigai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:18   #2
Kichigai
気違い Was Mr30s

Measure out the gap in the bottom of the frame. For the 30s it was slightly less than 1/2 an inch. Make sure to use a new razor blade to get the cleanest possible cuts. It will leave the rubber perfectly smooth. Cut the plug as pictured below. Also cut off about an 1/8 inch on the bottom of the plug.

General Glocking

Now place the plug in the frame. This plug was a perfect fit for my model. Do not force it in just place it in enough so that it is snug. Once you have it in place use the frame as a guide to make an angled cut in the plug. This will allow the magazine to fit perfectly in place and provide the right appearance. See the pictures below.

At this point you could stop as the plug is pretty secure. Although if you stop at this point I would probably use a tiny tiny drop of crazy glue inside the frame where the magazine goes. This would ensure that the plug stayed in place but also could be removed if so desired. Besides what is a project without crazy glue or duct tape right.

I wanted to get rid of the hole in the back of the frame and also use a screw to make sure that the plug didn't move. I also think it is a better solution than glueing it. See picture below.

General Glocking

Ok so if you are still with me and reading this I used a very small flat head tapered screw pictured below. This will fill the hole in the frame, secure the plug in place, and becomes total flush with the grip. You can't even feel it is there if you screw it in properly. Instead of the screws pictured below get the same size sheet metal screws with a black oxide coating.

General Glocking

Last edited by Kichigai; 08-03-2013 at 04:26.. Reason: change in project
Old 07-22-2013, 08:19   #3
Kichigai
気違い Was Mr30s

Firmly hold the plug in place and center the screw in the hole. Start tightening by hand to make that you are threading the screw straight into the plug. Tighten the screw until it is flush with the grip. Do not over tighten. Take your time here to get it straight this is the most difficult part. This is the end result with the screw in place. As you can see it should not protrude and fills the hole.

Last edited by Kichigai; 08-03-2013 at 04:27.. Reason: Change in project
Old 07-22-2013, 08:20   #4
Kichigai
気違い Was Mr30s

I was very happy with how it turned out. Here are some pics of the end results. I believe it is just about as good as something you buy and actually looks better in person than in the pics. Taking the pictures and posting this up took far longer to do than the project itself. Its pretty easy and quick. So if they don't make a plug for your model, you want to save a few bucks, or you like to make things here ya go.

General GlockingGeneral GlockingGeneral GlockingGeneral Glocking

OK LET THE FLAMING BEGIN.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:27   #5
scattershot

WAY cool! Thanks for posting!
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:40   #6
Kichigai
気違い Was Mr30s

Old 07-22-2013, 18:37   #7
Sigobsessed

That looks better than the factory made ones and probably seals crap out better to.
Old 07-22-2013, 18:57   #8
opaul

Thanks for taking the time to post this. What made you think about using this method?
opaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 19:52   #9
cciman

looks great, NICE...

Hypothetically, this just adds a piece that can fail at the worst moment. Not important on the la-dee-dah paper range, but in a carry situation, or a struggle for the weapon, and SHTF, and if this plug comes loose during that, or better yet gets caught on the mag as you shove it up the pipe in a tactical fashion, preventing mag insertion or being shoved in the magwell.

I know you used a screw and super glue, but those rubber stoppers are soft, and wiggle, and super glue does not work well for long

Murphy's law.
Shugar happens.

Totally your choice as the user. It looks cool.
cciman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:55   #10
Kichigai
気違い Was Mr30s

thank you all. The idea just came to me as i had seen the stoppers in a hardware store one time and thought it might work so i tried it. Please note i did not use crazy glue on mine it was a suggestion depending on how far people wanted to go with the project. I myself was very surprised with the results as far as how good it looks how easy it was and how sturdy it actually is. The stoppers are pretty hard rubber and between it squeezing in the frame and the screw it is believe it or not rock solid if you do it right. It in no way interfears with the function of the gun but as always when it comes to a carry gun for protection the less modifications the better. But to be honest if you are in a situation that requires more than 11 rounds of 45 ACP hollow point you probably have the wrong weapon or need a lot more range time.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:06   #11
GRT45
Transform & Win

That is a very clever and resourceful solution. It's definitely wise to take the extra step of adding the retention screw. Thanks for posting the procedure and including the photos.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
: Strictly monogamous, I have one Glock and one woman.
GLOCK Certified Armorer,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Member,
Endowment Member, Eagle Scout
GRT45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:10   #12
Kichigai
気違い Was Mr30s

as a side not i will provide an update on how it holds up. based on my initial impressions, i see absolutely no reason for issues but will make sure to put it through the paces and provide follow up.
Old 07-23-2013, 16:02   #13
cciman

I am very familiar with orphan uses of those black rubber stoppers.

They are convenient and resourceful, but they also age, smell, stretch, compress, tear, degrade, harden, shrink, crack, shred, take a set (pick any or all) over time. Bottom line is, I do not trust them.

If you can cut them with a knife, then think of what the screw is doing over a period of time.

2 part epoxy putty molded with the retention screw my be a safer bet-- though not so cosmetically appealing.

How badly do you want that hole covered?
cciman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 16:33   #14
Kichigai
気違い Was Mr30s

Again this was just an idea that i thought of and threw together in 15 minutes. I need to test it out to see the long term results. short term seem ok.
Old 07-23-2013, 16:39   #15
Bruce M

Very ingenious.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:36   #16
Kichigai
気違い Was Mr30s

Quick update

Carried it around for a few days - no issues
Went to the range last night picked it up and down more than 20 times and bumbed it around- no issues
Changed the mag in and out 20 times - no issues it slide in and perfectly
Put 200 rounds down range-no issue stayed in place and didnt create any strange vibrations or anything during recoil nor could i feel the screw
Came home inspected it and it is just as solid and remained in the same position. THe screw remained in place and did not back out. I removed the screw and the plug to inspect for tearing or any wear and there was nothing. Put it back in. So for like a $1.60 and 15 minutes i couldnt be happier so far

So i will follow up as time passes to let you know if there are any issues. As they say only time will tell.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:59   #17
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
The Dude Abides

Mr30s

Thanks for posting this,.......a great "home brewed" tip!
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:34   #18
TayMan

Thanks for the tip.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2
TayMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:58   #19
Kichigai
気違い Was Mr30s

if ya cant buy it.........make it
Old 07-24-2013, 08:09   #20
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

Or sell them.'08.

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is offline   Reply With Quote