Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-17-2013, 17:04   #1
Dubble-Tapper

Any recurve/trad Archers? hunting, target, what ever

I recently decided to get into archery. I took archery classes in HS and when I was younger i used to watch Fred Bear hunt films. I always wanted to target shoot on my own time and/or hunt game. Being raised by my mother who wasnt into any of that stuff, i didnt get get into any guns/hunting til I was old enough to afford stuff on my own, so ive been going kinda buck wild. no pun intended.

With the way our gun culture is suffering, (ammo shortages/hoarding, threats of AWB, mag availability, cost, etc), i wanted something to supplement my shooting hobby that wasnt affected by politics and availability. Arrows, while not cheap, arent going anywhere. Plus I can have an archery range in my back yard in city limits and shoot when ever the hell i want.

Recurve/trad archery appealed to me much more than compounds for a couple reasons. Its somewhat affordable to get started, its much simpler technology, less equipment and accessories to buy (sights, rests, releases, stabilizers, etc), seems more challenging, and its just a cool history, People have been shooting trad archery for a LONG time.

I bought a bow for me and one for my wife. Both are take-down recurves, made by PSE. mine is a 60" 45# PSE Mustang, and my wifes is a 58" 30# PSE razorback. These should hold us over while we learn and then we can upgrade. The risers are very pretty looking, as well as the limbs. Im going to run them with rug rests and strike pads instead of elevated rests, to keep it simple and traditional. Havent shot them yet, still need to put my nock beads on the strings and get some arrows.

I found out theres a small local trad archery shop a guy runs out of his garage/shop in my area. I went to check it out and its awesome. Really cool guy, very helpful and friendly. He makes absolutely beautiful arrows and all sorts of trad bows. Heres his site, they have cool game trophy pics and stuff. http://www.raptorarchery.com/ (i have no stock or anything in his company, haha, just thought it was a cool site and that some of you may find it interesting. The dudes an old school bowyer). Im gonna buy my arrows from him. I like to support the small local guys.

I know most guys shoot compounds, but any of you guys shoot/hunt recurve/trad archery? lets see some pics of your setups

The Okie Corral

Last edited by Dubble-Tapper; 07-17-2013 at 17:05..
Dubble-Tapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 17:24   #2
JLB768
Silver Membership
Old & Grumpy

Bear Super Kodiak RH @ 50lb, fast flight string, Kwikee Quiver, cedar arrows, delta feathers, and a button, he was tasty.

The Okie Corral
Black Rifle Club Member #768
JLB768 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 17:36   #3
Dubble-Tapper

AWESOME!!!! I love the history of the Bear bows, Fred Bear was a badass. Id like to start collecting vintage Bears. What year is yours? new or old model?

nice lil buck BTW
Old 07-17-2013, 18:04   #4
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

I have a 60lb Martin Mountaineer that does a good job on hay bales and jackrabbits.

Bow hunting anything bigger around here is more trouble than its worth.
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 18:12   #5
groundhawg

When I saw where you were from, I was going to suggest you go see Ted [Raptor]. He used to carry a lot of used bows that you could check out when you are ready to move up. I have Black Widows, Bears, Massies and a few other longbows and recurves. One of my prized possesions is a "self-nocked" arrow made by Ted and signed by John Rook [a very successful blind bowhunter].
groundhawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 18:42   #6
Dubble-Tapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundhawg View Post
When I saw where you were from, I was going to suggest you go see Ted [Raptor]. He used to carry a lot of used bows that you could check out when you are ready to move up. I have Black Widows, Bears, Massies and a few other longbows and recurves. One of my prized possesions is a "self-nocked" arrow made by Ted and signed by John Rook [a very successful blind bowhunter].
Ted is awesome, just met him recently. He is a true artist. He has cool hunting stories. He told me about how cool it was to bag his huge Tom cougar, with a self bow, self nocked arrow, and flint head. All made by him. He showed me the pelt. It wasn't in a tree, it was on the ground. I couldn't imagine getting that close to a cat that big.
Old 07-17-2013, 20:39   #7
JLB768
Silver Membership
Old & Grumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubble-Tapper View Post
AWESOME!!!! I love the history of the Bear bows, Fred Bear was a badass. Id like to start collecting vintage Bears. What year is yours? new or old model?

nice lil buck BTW
Thank you. Bought the Super Kodiak new in 2003-04. I've been hunting with a recurve since 95, my first was a Ben Pearson Mercury Hunter.
Black Rifle Club Member #768
JLB768 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 22:32   #8
Whispers Death

Here is my Martin Savannah and me and a doe. I now hunt with a Rivers Edge Retro recurve to hunt with this fall.
Attached Thumbnails
The Okie Corral - Click for larger version  
Whispers Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 22:57   #9
ateamer
NRA4EVR

I used to arch but the bows have been gathering dust for a few years. I have both a compound and recurve, but only like shooting the recurve. It's just more fun, and there are no parts to adjust. If I miss, it's not the cams, not the arrow rest, not the sight; it's all on me.

Maybe it's time to set up a target and start arching again.
Know-it-all
ateamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 23:24   #10
Dubble-Tapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamer View Post
I used to arch but the bows have been gathering dust for a few years. I have both a compound and recurve, but only like shooting the recurve. It's just more fun, and there are no parts to adjust. If I miss, it's not the cams, not the arrow rest, not the sight; it's all on me.

Maybe it's time to set up a target and start arching again.
i agree. compounds are not as much fun to shoot, i love the instinctive, fluid shooting style of trad archery. compounds are just too mechanical. plus, recurves can shoot nearly, if not just as fast and hard. (draw weight and FPS). the advantage of holding full draw with no effort is cool i guess. but other than that, meh...

Last edited by Dubble-Tapper; 07-17-2013 at 23:31..
Old 07-18-2013, 12:44   #11
Whispers Death

Quote:
plus, recurves can shoot nearly, if not just as fast and hard. (draw weight and FPS).
Not even close.....a fast recurve...225fps. A fast compound...350 fps.....yet I hunt most of the time with a recurve or longbow. With a heavy arrow and a sharp, long, two blade broadhead, they are more than capable of taking just about any game.
Whispers Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 13:59   #12
Obi Wan

I just moved from my old recurve - 60"... 50# @ 28" - to a compound because of arthritis in my right hand fingers. It became extremely painful for several days after trying to shoot any number of practice arrows.

My 'claim to fame' was that I got started via my first few lessons on shooting a recurve 'instinctively' by ol' Owen Jeffrey himself. He was about 80 at the time and was still hunting and building bows. He took time to straighten a limb on my old bow since it was still in good shape, and he was the original designer of that model when he worked for Shakespeare. I hated to move to the compound, but it is easier on the fingers for sure.

Good luck and have fun!

Btw, PER OWEN, don't shoot off the shelf if you don't have to. "Use an elevated "flipper rest" for less arrow/feather interference and greater accuracy". He's the guy who first invented the little stick-on flippers just for that reason since (in his opinion) most recurves don't have enough curve in the ledge to elevate the arrow enough for the average shooter.

YMMV...

It appears that Owen is still hunting from his climbing tree stand. The guy is unstoppable!

The Okie Corral
"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." - Virg Muelleri

Last edited by Obi Wan; 07-18-2013 at 14:04..
Obi Wan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 18:08   #13
Dubble-Tapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whispers Death View Post
Not even close.....a fast recurve...225fps. A fast compound...350 fps.....yet I hunt most of the time with a recurve or longbow. With a heavy arrow and a sharp, long, two blade broadhead, they are more than capable of taking just about any game.
wow i was wrong. i didnt realize how fast they shot. i guess i was thinking of draw weight, which obviously must not = speed... if it does have some sort of correlation, i wonder how a 60# recurve compares to a 60# compound in terms of FPS.

i dont know much about archery, kinda just started
Old 07-18-2013, 18:14   #14
Reyn
Times Up

I'm a compound man but I do live about 3 miles from Byron Ferguson. I see him out in his yard occasionally and around town.
Reyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 18:44   #15
Gonzoso

I got into trad archery about 2 years ago. I have a Samick Sage with 35 and 50 pound limbs. I make my own strings, fletch my own arrows, and pretty much do everything myself.

I tried making a bow and it snapped and put a small hole in my hand.

I also shoot a Parker compound bow, and have a crossbow I got for a steal last year, 200$ for a Parker with a nice case, 2 dozen bolts, 6 broadheads, red dot sight, quiver, and it's all pristine. I got the crossbow in case I blow out my shoulder on the bow or injure myself at work so I can still put meat in the freezer, and I like weapons.

I dig the recurve, but I'm only good out to 20 yards or so to reliably kill a deer.

I like to eat venison, so I try to kill a deer right quick in the season to stock up the freezer. I have yet to get one with the recurve. I'm hoping this is the year!
Old 07-18-2013, 19:02   #16
Obi Wan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubble-Tapper View Post
wow i was wrong. i didnt realize how fast they shot. i guess i was thinking of draw weight, which obviously must not = speed... if it does have some sort of correlation, i wonder how a 60# recurve compares to a 60# compound in terms of FPS.

i dont know much about archery, kinda just started
It all depends... but in general, a recurve will most likely be 1/2-2/3'rds of the speeds you can achieve on the better compound bows. Some real good recurves can top 200 fps @ 60# pull, but most are below that. My 48# recurve probably only hit 150 fps or so, not, whereas my 50# recurve should be somewhere around 240 fps (only guessing at this point as I haven't chrono'd them).

So you can see, "poundage" has little to do with the speed comparison between styles of bows. It has to do with the design, construction, and materials, etc.

Hope this helps some.
"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." - Virg Muelleri
Obi Wan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 19:56   #17
groundhawg

Don't get hung up on speed, being a man it's tough not to but arrow placement is what kills game. I was shooting with Mike Fedora [he's been making great bows for years] and we were trying to decide what draw weight bow I would be buying from him. He drew back a 28lb bow and asked me if a sharp broadhead coming out of it would bounce off of me. It wouldnt bounce off.

Last edited by groundhawg; 07-18-2013 at 19:58..
groundhawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 20:32   #18
DOC44

The Okie Corral

1968 Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 50 lb pull... got a couple of compounds now but still hunt with the Bear I got new in 1968.

Doc44