SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-16-2013, 19:54   #1
Jake514

Send a message via Yahoo to Jake514
.CR2 files

I am new, very new to photography and have a Canon EOS T2i. On July 4th I was experimenting with photographing the fireworks, but had the camera set on one of the RAW settings and now all the pictures have the suffix ".CR2" but I cannot view them. I did see the pictures on the viewfinder as I was taking them but now cannot view them on my computer. Any suggestions on how to view these files?
Jake514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 21:29   #2
JimBianchi
CLM Number 25
Da Da

You are going to have to download the RAW file converter from the Canon website.

You also should have a DVD in the box somewhere. The disc has all the software you will need to open, convert and post images.
SAF

The scariest words in the English language: I'm from the government and I'm here to help! President Ronald Reagan

Last edited by JimBianchi; 07-16-2013 at 21:30..
JimBianchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 17:47   #3
officer196

If you still have the disk that came with the camera, that will also convert them. RAW is great if your going to be doing heavy editting through lightroom or PS or PS elements but if your using it to take more candid type photos it would just be easier to shoot in JPEG.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:16   #4
snerd

Did you figure this out? Like has been said, you can get the DPP software on Canon's site. There are also some viewers that will display them, Windows Photo Viewer being one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
snerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 14:36   #5
Jake514

Send a message via Yahoo to Jake514
The software CD that came with the camera would only load certain sections so I went to the Canon website like recommended and downloaded. Yes, it worked and thanks to all who answered me.

I understand the jpeg is much less memory intensive, but I wanted to experiment with color manipulation - some turned out cool very cool, but the penalty is bigger files. I am just learning so this is all a new hobby to me.
Jake514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 20:59   #6
officer196

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake514 View Post
The software CD that came with the camera would only load certain sections so I went to the Canon website like recommended and downloaded. Yes, it worked and thanks to all who answered me.

I understand the jpeg is much less memory intensive, but I wanted to experiment with color manipulation - some turned out cool very cool, but the penalty is bigger files. I am just learning so this is all a new hobby to me.
Well I don't know what your shooting with but just a couple of suggestions. If your still learning your gear I highly recommend the for dummies books. Just find the one for your camera. When I first started shooting this book was awesome. It taught me how to use all the functions to my camera plus a lot of basic photography concepts which really got me started. Second, there's a website like this one called digitalphotographyschool.com, great articles and awesome forum. Very supportive and knowledgable group of people in almost every type of photography.

Lastly don't get frustrated, and don't get gear lust. There are great things you can do with any camera as soon as you learn how to use it. I'm always amazed when I look at photos I took when I started compared to what I get today and everyday I'm still learning this craft.

Last edited by officer196; 07-27-2013 at 21:00..
officer196 is offline   Reply With Quote