Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2013, 07:57   #1
tercel89
Senior Member
 
tercel89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Tn
Posts: 3,435
Comparable pistol to a Glock ?

I have 3 Glock 21's . I am thinking of selling one to get a different pistol. My question is this : What is a comparable pistol to the Glock as far as reliability , rust resistance , and very few parts so that it is as easy to detail strip as the Glock ?
I want to go with the .45ACP cartridge.
One of my choices is the Springfield 1911 .45ACP base model/mil-spec
Another is the Norinco 1911 .45 ACP
What are other choice that I should look at ?
What I DONT want is a Beretta or a Sig Sauer that has what I think is too many springs and levers and pins . I want a pistol that I can drop , get banged up and still shoot it . I love CZ's but they just dont fit this catagory of mine being that when dropped or thrown on concrete they will bend a part or break. No disrespect to them , I have one and LOVE IT but not this time .
Thanks for any information

Last edited by tercel89; 07-16-2013 at 09:31..
tercel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:03   #2
Quigley
Elite Member
 
Quigley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Virginia
Posts: 2,796
Blog Entries: 1
This is going to be a long one. How about a nice s&w m&p or a anything else your heart desires. Sounds to me like you need a 9mm
__________________
GTDS Certified Member # 6

GREEN IS THE NEW RED
Quigley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:10   #3
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa
 
Zombie Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Old Colorado City
Posts: 19,935
Well, if you like 1911's, don't screw around and get a TRP from Springfield. Wilson, Baer, Brown... Dan Wesson (CZ) still makes a good one.


Are you expecting to drop your handgun on concrete a lot?
Zombie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:12   #4
tercel89
Senior Member
 
tercel89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Tn
Posts: 3,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quigley View Post
This is going to be a long one. How about a nice s&w m&p or a anything else your heart desires. Sounds to me like you need a 9mm
I am leaning towards a S&W M&P as another choice. Why do you say a 9mm ?
tercel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:28   #5
Johnxuga
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 6
SA XDm 45 is a nice pistol. Extremely reliable and rugged.
Johnxuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:31   #6
JBP55
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 8,386
S&W M&P .45 is a good choice. S&W is still trying to resolve the accuracy issues with the M&P in 9mm.
JBP55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:31   #7
cfrye11
Senior Member
 
cfrye11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 436
Why not stay with glock and get a 30 30s or 36 ?

molan labe
cfrye11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:31   #8
tercel89
Senior Member
 
tercel89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Tn
Posts: 3,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnxuga View Post
SA XDm 45 is a nice pistol. Extremely reliable and rugged.
That was also another one that I was "thinking" about. I had an XD-9 Full size but that was a 9mm . The original HS2000 (S.A. Xd-9) was made to be chambered in 9mm. I am always hesitant to buy a gun chambered in a different cartridge that it was originally chambered for. Except the Glock. It has the proven track record for the .45ACP on their 21 and the 30 .
tercel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:32   #9
tercel89
Senior Member
 
tercel89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Tn
Posts: 3,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrye11 View Post
Why not stay with glock and get a 30 30s or 36 ?

molan labe
I have a 30 , see it in my avatar picture ?

Last edited by tercel89; 07-16-2013 at 08:35..
tercel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:35   #10
Quigley
Elite Member
 
Quigley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Virginia
Posts: 2,796
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tercel89 View Post
I am leaning towards a S&W M&P as another choice. Why do you say a 9mm ?
Its a great round, a lot less expensive, more common in some ways, and a pleasure to shoot. I kind of lean with the experts on this one. Everyone needs at least one Glock 17 or 19. For me its the 19.
__________________
GTDS Certified Member # 6

GREEN IS THE NEW RED
Quigley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:37   #11
ronin.45
Senior Member
 
ronin.45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NE OHIO
Posts: 9,121
The 1911 doesn't really fit your spec list.

I'd go M&P then XDm
__________________
As I go through life I keep coming to the same conclusion, people are generally stupid.
ronin.45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:49   #12
tercel89
Senior Member
 
tercel89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Tn
Posts: 3,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quigley View Post
Its a great round, a lot less expensive, more common in some ways, and a pleasure to shoot. I kind of lean with the experts on this one. Everyone needs at least one Glock 17 or 19. For me its the 19.
I have a 26 as a back-up that I carry at work and a G17 as a carry pistol. But thanks and you are correct , everyone needs at least a 17 or 19 . They just WORK

Last edited by tercel89; 07-16-2013 at 08:50..
tercel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:56   #13
bac1023
Senior Member
 
bac1023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 93,396
XDm or M&P are a couple main players, but there are others as well.
__________________
.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:32   #14
tercel89
Senior Member
 
tercel89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Tn
Posts: 3,435
I had forgot to add that I also am looking at the Norinco 1911 .45ACP . I have made myself so made over the last 20 yrs for not getting one of these ! They are very well made and reliable even though they are made in China .

Last edited by tercel89; 07-16-2013 at 09:32..
tercel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:19   #15
WayneJessie
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by tercel89 View Post
I have 3 Glock 21's . I am thinking of selling one to get a different pistol. My question is this : What is a comparable pistol to the Glock as far as reliability , rust resistance , and very few parts so that it is as easy to detail strip as the Glock ?
I want to go with the .45ACP cartridge.
One of my choices is the Springfield 1911 .45ACP base model/mil-spec
Another is the Norinco 1911 .45 ACP
What are other choice that I should look at ?
What I DONT want is a Beretta or a Sig Sauer that has what I think is too many springs and levers and pins . I want a pistol that I can drop , get banged up and still shoot it . I love CZ's but they just dont fit this catagory of mine being that when dropped or thrown on concrete they will bend a part or break. No disrespect to them , I have one and LOVE IT but not this time .
Thanks for any information
What parts have you bent/broken on your CZ by dropping it on concrete? I have more 75s that a man should and I challenge you to not drop it but throw it down on concrete and break something. If it's a nice piece of concrete you'll probably knock a chunk out of it when the gun hits. Fragile is not a word I would use to describe a 75.
__________________
I'd own a Glock; were it not for Glock owners.
WayneJessie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:43   #16
Paxmo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnxuga View Post
SA XDm 45 is a nice pistol. Extremely reliable and rugged.
Plus one
__________________
Glock 17 gen2, 26 gen3, G34 gen4, 36 :-)
Paxmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:13   #17
TxGlock9
Senior Member
 
TxGlock9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: BMT, TX
Posts: 4,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBP55 View Post
S&W M&P .45 is a good choice. S&W is still trying to resolve the accuracy issues with the M&P in 9mm.
That is why I got rid of all my M&P 9mm..
__________________
My name is John
TxGlock9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:54   #18
TnShooter83
Senior Member
 
TnShooter83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBP55 View Post
S&W M&P .45 is a good choice. S&W is still trying to resolve the accuracy issues with the M&P in 9mm.
From my understanding they went to a faster twist barrel
in the 2013 model guns. It's reported the accuracy is better. But then again I haven't noticed any issues with my late model M&P.

I'm thinking that it is a combination of barrel twist and lock up.
There have been some reports of the barrel hood to slide fit being poor. My M&P9 is negligible at best as to the lockup. I love my M&P and have started shooting it more than my other pistols.
TnShooter83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 13:14   #19
tercel89
Senior Member
 
tercel89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Tn
Posts: 3,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneJessie View Post
What parts have you bent/broken on your CZ by dropping it on concrete?
I have not dropped it on concrete.
tercel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 13:32   #20
Hamilton Burger
Incompetent
 
Hamilton Burger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Irrelevant and Irrisputable
Posts: 1,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by tercel89 View Post
I am always hesitant to buy a gun chambered in a different cartridge that it was originally chambered for. Except the Glock. It has the proven track record for the .45ACP on their 21 and the 30 .
You realize the 1911 was developed from an existing .38?

That said, the "NM" Mil-Spec/RO is a good pistol, greater than the sum of its parts. But if you are used to carrying a 30 the 1911 will feel like an anchor.

FWIW, I sold my 30 and got a XDs.
__________________
Hamburgers! The cornerstone of any nutritious breakfast!
(You'd be smelling brimstone through a nail hole if it were up to me.)
Hamilton Burger is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:30.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 660
152 Members
508 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31