Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-15-2013, 17:31   #1
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

What happened to you after 40?

I have a few years to go myself but I thought I would put the question on the table.

I hear the horror stories about how people just start to break down. I hear it from people in their 30's even. Nothing heals, things always hurt, no energy, moods, depression, vision goes...

I see it in my friends. It is real. Most of the time it is obvious why. They dont take care of themselves. Sometimes though, I hear it from people who do take care of themselves.

I still feel fine. If I get hurt, it heels. I dont have any chronic pains. Everything works. I am starting to fear what I hear and see happening to others.

Any stories?

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

I cross my heart and hope not to die. Swallow evil, ride the sky. Lose myself in a crowded room. You fool, you fool, it will be here soon
Rabbi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 17:34   #2
2bgop

I have a few years to go myself, but as far as I can tell, I am holding up pretty well. The only thing I notice is being able to function at a high level with sleep deprived.

There was a time I could go 40+ hours and still function, I can't do that at all now.
2bgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 17:36   #3
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bgop View Post
I have a few years to go myself, but as far as I can tell, I am holding up pretty well. The only thing I notice is being able to function at a high level with sleep deprived.

There was a time I could go 40+ hours and still function, I can't do that at all now.
I assume you mean NOT being able to function....

Yeah, I have noticed that as well. I dont do as well without sleep. I used to be able to go silly lengths of time without sleep. I can not do that now....but I dont need quite as much sleep on average.

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

I cross my heart and hope not to die. Swallow evil, ride the sky. Lose myself in a crowded room. You fool, you fool, it will be here soon
Old 07-15-2013, 17:39   #4
Sinister Paige

The Okie Corral

If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom.
Dwight D Eisenhower
Sinister Paige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 17:41   #5
2bgop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
I assume you mean NOT being able to function....

Yeah, I have noticed that as well. I dont do as well without sleep. I used to be able to go silly lengths of time without sleep. I can not do that now....but I dont need quite as much sleep on average.
I did mean not function.

I pulled an all nighter on a redeye a few weeks ago, I was near zombie state most of the next day.
2bgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 17:44   #6
jame
mange takk

Quote:
I hear the horror stories about how people just start to break down. I hear it from people in their 30's even. Nothing heals, things always hurt, no energy, moods, depression, vision goes...

I'm a little over 50, and it's no horror story. It's just life.

No, I don't heal as fast, but I've finally wised up. Don't do things that hurt you.

No energy? OK, well, I just appreciate what a short nap will do for a guy now.

Moods and depression can get to a guy, but it just depends on a guy's outlook on life. Those that are generally happy can just as easily be happy as they age.

Vision? OK, that part's a *****. But I put on my readers anyway, because I still have a lot to see, read, and do.

Most important? I don't take myself nearly as serious as I used to. As I've aged a little, I've realized that I'm just not that big of a deal. I've also realized that no one else is either, even though they may consider themselves so.

Life can be a grind or a joy. It's all on you.
jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 17:47   #7
Highspeedlane
NRA Life Member

Based on my personal experience you'll still be good to go well into your 40's.

It's the 50 mark you want to look out for. You'll know you're there because you'll start getting AARP junk mail in your box weekly.

They even try to trick you by sending it in unmarked envelopes.
Old 07-15-2013, 17:48   #8
HerrGlock
CLM Number 2
Scouts Out

Quote:
I still feel fine. If I get hurt, it heels. I dont have any chronic pains. Everything works. I am starting to fear what I hear and see happening to others.
Your switch hasn't been thrown yet. One day you'll wake up and walking is an exercise in pain for the first 10 minutes. You think back and you didn't do a damned thing to hurt. Then everything's happy as hell for a year.

The eating half as much as you used to and still gain weight is another switch that gets thrown.

It's not gradual, it's bloody overnight.
HerrGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 17:50   #9
NMGlocker
BOOM headshot

I'm 43.
Started doing BJJ/MMA three nights a week last year.
Placed 2nd in my first BJJ tournament this May.
Have another tournament in two weeks.
I regularly thump guys half my age and am in the best physical condition of my life.
Turning 40 is what you make of it.
Old 07-15-2013, 18:01   #10
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrGlock View Post
Your switch hasn't been thrown yet. One day you'll wake up and walking is an exercise in pain for the first 10 minutes. You think back and you didn't do a damned thing to hurt. Then everything's happy as hell for a year.

The eating half as much as you used to and still gain weight is another switch that gets thrown.

See, that is what I hear from some people. It happens like a switch. I understand gradual....but the "You'll wake up broken tomorrow and then you die after 35 years of that" is what scares the hell out of me.

Old 07-15-2013, 18:02   #11
jame
mange takk

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrGlock View Post

Amen to that one, Brother......
jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 18:03   #12
RonS

I turn 60 this year and have worked in a factory for 35 years. Herniated disk from stupid lifting. Hyperextended knee from oily floors. Arthritis in my back, stenosis I think is the correct term. But really it isn't all that bad. Sometimes my back hurts, but not all the time and usually a couple of asprin knocks it down. I climb stairs one at a time instead of two at a time. I need my bifocals to read a vernier now. My hands aren't as strong as they were, the young guys can tighten better than I can loosen. Till I get out a pipe to equalize things. But heck, I still wake up, still get it up, still enjoy a good meal and still go to work every day. Beats the heck out of the only other obvious alternative.

If I could be young and not stupid I'd go for it, but being twenty something again would suck. All that stress and angst, no sense of proportion, no perspective. No thanks.
Old 07-15-2013, 18:03   #13

I'm in my late 30's and I started to notice things like my vision is changing. My night vision is starting to go and my close up vision isn't what it used to be. I still have 20/10, though.

I started to feel fatigue a little easier than what I used to and my muscles seem to stiffen up more in the mornings, now.

After I started to work out a little more and get good 8 hours of sleep I feel a whole lot better. I also do more stretching/warming up before I start my day.

Hanging out with younger people also helps!

Enjoy yourself. It's later than you think.
427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 18:05   #14
Dragoon44
Lifetime Membership
Unfair Facist

A year later you turn 41.
Old 07-15-2013, 18:05   #15
sonoma

Before 40 i ate big macs and whoppers and excercised and weighed around 190.At 40 i started eating healthy and within 2 years i gained 50 pounds, still exercising but not quite as much.Metabolism slowing down plus testosteron levels dropping are what the doctors said were the reason.
sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 18:06   #16
c01
Crazy Eye

I'm 44 and have kept in shape for most of my life. I was hit by a car two years ago on my motorcycle and was off my work out for a few months. The weights came back easy but the cardio was and is terrible. Much harder to get in cardio shape now but it does come back. Other then that all is the same.

D
c01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 18:06   #17
jim goose
"The Goose"

Recovery times between workouts are more important, no more heavy weights.

I rode a chairlift at Alta this winter with an 85 yr old man! I had to compliment him, and he remarked that he was loving life more than ever, not because he was still skiing, but because it takes that long for a person to develop, and enjoy full use of your brain. I think he was right.

Last edited by jim goose; 07-15-2013 at 18:07..
jim goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 18:07   #18
Restless28

Rabbi, my hamstring and back hurt pretty much every day. Ibuprofen is a staple. I do exercise and eat well, and I'm stronger and leaner at 40 than I was at 20.

When I get hurt, it sure does take longer to heal. I enjoy naps a lot now and 3 beers is more than enough.

I'm learning the hard way what 40 feels like, but I'm glad to be on this side of the grass.
Restless28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 18:13   #19
kahrcarrier
FAHRENHEIT

It is mostly in the head.

Our culture is geared toward youth: everything you see celebrates the young, the energetic, the beautiful, the single. SEX above all else.

When you realize you are no longer in that "in demand group," it is a bit of a letdown.

But life goes on........
kahrcarrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 18:20   #20
mtpisgah

I am 42 and about the same as 35 with the exception of vision. I am very active; riding, running, swimming, and hiking are keeping me young. I don't notice myself being any more tired but I admit I do not race anymore and if I did, maybe it would make a difference.

Having a good diet, not drinking too much, sleeping six to seven hours a night, and taking nap at least once a weekend (which I have been doing for 15 years) seems to work for me.
Old 07-15-2013, 18:22   #21
NDCent
Socially Inept

Eyes went at 45. Serious knee, back, and neck problems from years of sport, recreational, and work related injuries kicked in from mid 40's to mid 50's. Up every couple hours to piss started early 50's. If I make it to 60 I'll punt.

If you stay fit, busy, and injury free I believe you can postpone most by a decade.
Old 07-15-2013, 18:22   #22
jakebrake
cracker

nothing that hadn't started long before 40.
21 clubmember #629 freemasons clubmember # 57
Kalashnikov klub member # 413 black rifle club # 830
The road to Hell is paved with good intent
jakebrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 18:28   #23
JohnBT
NRA Patron

I'm 62 and I'm working with a buddy to rebuild the built-in gutter above the second story windows on the front of my 1916 town home. Rebuild it without destroying the dental molding underneath.

We have the ladders up on the front porch roof with a 20-foot walkboard in place and have peeled off all of the old layers of metal and patches and hauled them around back.

I went to the lumberyard twice today and the roofing supply place once to get 4 galvanized slater's roof brackets so we can take all the slate off the attic and lay new tar paper and fit new copper counterflashing up the parapet walls and around the dormer before we put it all back.

I'm old and drink too much beer.

I hired a contractor to do the main roof. It took 7 guys about 12 hours Saturday to tear off the original standing seam roof, tar paper, tar, rubber roof coat, caulk and asphalt aluminum roof coat. Good riddance. They also got most of the insulation boards down and the TPO membrane roof on.

I could have done it myself. Once upon a time.
JohnBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 18:33   #24
BobRicks

This Thursday I will turn 61. I held up pretty good until around 52 or 53. I could play 36 holes of golf without tiring at all. Then around 52-53 I started aching a little when I first got out of bed. That has progressed to being over weight, and just not having the energy or desire to do anything about it any more. I have had achilles tendon trouble in both legs. Now I can make 18 holes of golf, but when I get out of bed the next day I can feel it in my back.

All in all I would say I am still in pretty good shape for the shape I'm in! I will not win any foot races, but I will keep up with the best of them walking!

Age is a state of mind. You are as young or old as you feel. Right now, I am starting to feel a little older than I want to.
Old 07-15-2013, 18:35   #25
Steel Head
Tactical Cat

I'm 42.
Eyes get tired if read too much, I like to read a lot.
20 something's drive me batty.
Used to recover from a hard day of work overnight, now it sometimes takes a week or more.
I see gray hairs in my beard.
Choosing between some action or staying home actually happens now
It's much easier to gain weight.
I at the younger workers thinking they'll be invincible geniuses forever.