GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-17-2013, 05:44   #61
SouthernBoyVA

Get an umbrella insurance policy. These policies serve to protect your net wealth against those who seek the deepest pockets in the event of a lawsuit of some sort. They are very inexpensive and well worth the money (around $100-$150 a year). Most start at $1 million and can be a God send. Stop and think of your personal net wealth and what you could stand to lose if a plaintiff wins a suit against you.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:58   #62
SCmasterblaster

I'm not planning on any changes. If someone attacks me with deadly force - including smashing my head on the pavement - I will definitely shoot them.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:09   #63
jdavionic
NRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster View Post
I'm not planning on any changes. If someone attacks me with deadly force - including smashing my head on the pavement - I will definitely shoot them.
That part of the incident is fairly obvious. Did you see anything in the events leading up to and the aftermath that have caused you to assess whether changes in other aspects of carrying are desired ?

"No matter how bad it gets, if you're still alive it's just another bad day."
jdavionic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:14   #64
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavionic View Post
That part of the incident is fairly obvious. Did you see anything in the events leading up to and the aftermath that have caused you to assess whether changes in other aspects of carrying are desired ?
Well I also carry a spray - the nastiest anti-personnel OC spray I can find.

Last edited by SCmasterblaster; 07-17-2013 at 07:22..
SCmasterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:23   #65
jdavionic
NRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster View Post
Well I also carry a spray - the nastiest anti-personnel OC spray I can find.
FoxLabs?

Old 07-17-2013, 12:09   #66
PhotoFeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavionic View Post
Did you see anything in the events leading up to and the aftermath that have caused you to assess whether changes in other aspects of carrying are desired ?
The aftermath (jail, trial, legal costs, threats, uncertain future, impact on family, knowledge that a life was taken, world-wide identity as controversial shooter, and more) will cause many to consider different SD methods.

The Zimmerman case will likely result in new SD products like concealable stun guns, spray products and other gear for civilians to use against threats less deadly than guns. The popularity of hand-to-hand training will increase.

This case drives home the accountability and responsibility associated with carrying a firearm and makes clear the legal and many other consequences of shooting someone. It will cause many to rethink their SD needs, tactics and preparation, including training and thinking through responses to various threat scenarios. Those who scoff at the need to rethink and reevaluate their approach to CC are carelessly risking the same plight George Zimmerman will suffer for the rest of his life.

This case is a huge opportunity for each of us to rethink and, maybe, retool our self defense strategies. It costs nothing to spend some time thinking about situational awareness, avoiding places where trouble is more likely to happen, moving to a safer environment, responding to various threat scenarios, deciding what we'll do if we observe a crime in progress. If we are a neighborhood watch volunteer, the Zimmerman case lessons are plain.

Last edited by PhotoFeller; 07-17-2013 at 12:23..
PhotoFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 13:09   #67
Dragoon44
Lifetime Membership
Unfair Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoFeller View Post

This case is a huge opportunity for each of us to rethink and, maybe, retool our self defense strategies. It costs nothing to spend some time thinking about situational awareness, avoiding places where trouble is more likely to happen, moving to a safer environment, responding to various threat scenarios, deciding what we'll do if we observe a crime in progress. If we are a neighborhood watch volunteer, the Zimmerman case lessons are plain.

The lesson everyone should take away is that if your self defense strategy begins and ends with merely having a gun and reliance on luck. Be prepared for a lot of grief if you manage to actually survive a serious encounter.

Last edited by Dragoon44; 07-17-2013 at 13:56..
Dragoon44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:13   #68
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoon44 View Post
The lesson everyone should take away is that if your self defense strategy begins and ends with merely having a gun and reliance on luck. Be prepared for a lot of grief if you manage to actually survive a serious encounter.
Ditto. The best outcome for an unfriendly encounter is to avoid having one in the first place. There are just too many stories of guys that shot someone with good reason and legal justification that still spend a lot of time and money defending themselves in court after the fact.

Shooting someone should be #2 on your list of bad things that could happen to you. It's still number 2.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
--Gunhaver
Don't let the guys quoted above contact your reps more than you.

Cavalry Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:58   #69
Lady Glock

Send a message via ICQ to Lady Glock
I will never carry pepper spray as if I have to use my firearm, I don't want them to have the excuse to ask why I didn't use the lesser force available to me. I have had recent back surgery and was not able to carry for several months...even though the pain is intense...I have switched back to wearing the uncomfortable clothing so I can carry again. I will also have to find my 2nd mag and start carrying that too. Good luck to everyone, and keep up a good situational awareness of those around you!

Trust in God...Everyone else keep your hands where I can see them!
Lady Glock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:21   #70
Gunnut 45/454

Nope other then it's a good arguement to carry with one in the pipe! Just think what might have happened if he had to rack a round in! Kind of hard to do with someone sittng on you!
Old 07-18-2013, 13:04   #71
Gaston Glock

I carry my 17 now as much as I carry the 26...
Gaston Glock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 17:15   #72
PhotoFeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnut 45/454 View Post
Nope other then it's a good arguement to carry with one in the pipe! Just think what might have happened if he had to rack a round in! Kind of hard to do with someone sittng on you!
Just think of what might NOT have happened if he had been more discrete in his attempt to track down his suspect.

Last edited by PhotoFeller; 07-18-2013 at 17:15..
Old 07-18-2013, 20:35   #73
Deaf Smith

Quote:
Just think of what might NOT have happened if he had been more discrete in his attempt to track down his suspect.
Or when looking for unusual activity he had a buddy with him. LEO's usually go on pairs for that reason so I see no reason a community crime watch would have them go in pairs.

Deaf
Old 07-18-2013, 22:52   #74
Bradjonesbass

I'm not changing anything, but it has caused me to be even more careful to stay out of other people's issues unless a life is at risk. Otherwise, it's call 911 and get out of the way.
Bradjonesbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 22:58   #75
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deaf Smith View Post
Or when looking for unusual activity he had a buddy with him. LEO's usually go on pairs for that reason so I see no reason a community crime watch would have them go in pairs.

Deaf
You are aware that he was on the way to the Target store to go shopping when he saw someone suspicious?
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 05:26   #76
jdavionic
NRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deaf Smith View Post

Deaf
Neighborhood watch in my area consists of many complainers and very few doers. Doubling up is not a viable option. We are lucky to get 1 person out most times. Lots of people show up at meetings when there are crimes though.

Old 07-19-2013, 06:34   #77
SouthernBoyVA

Quote:
The aftermath (jail, trial, legal costs, threats, uncertain future, impact on family, knowledge that a life was taken, world-wide identity as controversial shooter, and more) will cause many to consider different SD methods.

The Zimmerman case will likely result in new SD products like concealable stun guns, spray products and other gear for civilians to use against threats less deadly than guns. The popularity of hand-to-hand training will increase.

This case drives home the accountability and responsibility associated with carrying a firearm and makes clear the legal and many other consequences of shooting someone. It will cause many to rethink their SD needs, tactics and preparation, including training and thinking through responses to various threat scenarios. Those who scoff at the need to rethink and reevaluate their approach to CC are carelessly risking the same plight George Zimmerman will suffer for the rest of his life.

I disagree. If one goes about armed, they should have already weighed the responsibilities and their potential actions should they ever have to use that firearm. They should have already taken courses covering the laws in their state and the use of deadly force thereof. Not doing this is foolish and tantamount to courting disaster.

What the Zimmerman case did show is the virulent racism which runs rampant in the press, the current administration at the federal level (white house and DOJ) and much of the rest of the federal government, and the so-called black civil rights organizations and their race baiters and hustlers who saw this as something to advance their racist agendas an line their pockets. That's what resulted from the Z trial.

Last edited by SouthernBoyVA; 07-19-2013 at 06:35..
SouthernBoyVA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:24   #78
redbaron007
Lifetime Membership
A Nice Prick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoyVA View Post
I disagree. If one goes about armed, they should have already weighed the responsibilities and their potential actions should they ever have to use that firearm. They should have already taken courses covering the laws in their state and the use of deadly force thereof. Not doing this is foolish and tantamount to courting disaster.

What the Zimmerman case did show is the virulent racism which runs rampant in the press, the current administration at the federal level (white house and DOJ) and much of the rest of the federal government, and the so-called black civil rights organizations and their race baiters and hustlers who saw this as something to advance their racist agendas an line their pockets. That's what resulted from the Z trial.
^^^
+1

To the OP, my carry strategy has not changed.

As SouthernBoyVA stated above, this case, and I'm paraphrasing, was about politics & race. It was never about the law being broken. Peemypants Chris Mathews apologized to all African-Americans on behalf of all white people the other day because of what Z did.

red
TopGun *357sig* Club - #2632
The 10 Ring #00720

R.I.P. Cajunator® ~ R.I.P. JTull7
R.I.P. Mullah (aka El_Ron1) ~ R.I.P. GioaJack ~ R.I.P. Okie
redbaron007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:08   #79
PhotoFeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoyVA View Post

I agree with you, and I think our statements are not diametrically opposed.

I said this case will cause people to think about the accountability and responsibility of CC for self defense. You said people who carry SHOULD ALREADY have reckoned with the consequences of shooting someone. I just think millions of people HAVE NOT carefully studied the laws nor have they considered what it might be like to be in Zimmerman's very uncomfortable shoes. Now some are waking up.

Your comments about race baiting and media bias are correct, I believe, and those conditions aren't likely to change...ever. The fact remains that if you or I shoot to defend ourselves against a black attacker, we may well be embroiled in the same mess as Zimmerman. Ignore that fact if you want, but some of us will take extra care to avoid ever being trapped in that situation or any situation where shooting in self defense is necessary.

Last edited by PhotoFeller; 07-19-2013 at 09:13..
Old 07-19-2013, 10:33   #80
Gunnut 45/454

PhotoFeller
Or if T-ray would have actually went to Daddies house instead of planning how he would beat GZ to death! It takes two to have a fight. Both had oprotunities to change the out come of that night. One had 4 minutes to end the whole thing! But decided to commit a crime instead of going home to eat his Scittles!