GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-14-2013, 16:18   #21
Adamz04

No change here, but I've been carrying pepper spray for at least a year now alongside my firearm.
Old 07-14-2013, 16:19   #22
speediesparks

Was thinking about this after watching the verdict.If I was involved in a self defense shooting and it was justified,I would still want someone like GZ defense attorneys on my side. You just don't know when or WHERE it is going to happen.You also don't know anything about the prosecutor that you are up against.I still think the Armed Citizens Defense Network is something worth looking into.For the cost I don't think it is wasting money.If anything it will bring peace of mine knowing who to call in the event of a shooting.Just my two cents.
speediesparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 16:23   #23
John Biltz

I would never have gotten out of the car to begin with. I will say this, I will never be associated with a neighborhood watch program.
Old 07-14-2013, 16:24   #24
steveksux
Massive Member

I'm thinking things are not always what they seem, so be very wary of inserting yourself into a situation, as they can escalate out of control in ways you can't always imagine. You should strive to avoid conflicts, swallow your pride where necessary to do so, that goes double for avoiding fights, and a pistol doesn't make me a superhero or a cop.

So no, no changes in my behavior based on the Zimmerman case.

Randy
steveksux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 17:25   #25
Wishoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoon44 View Post
No change, I didn't do stupid things before and am not going to start now.
+11teenmillion
Wishoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 17:28   #26
jakebrake
cracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchool64 View Post
I still think Russ never sleeps
he does. he's just so damn good, he can dream post.
Old 07-14-2013, 17:40   #27
Cavalry Doc
Platinum Membership
MAJ (USA Ret.)

No changes. I avoid conflict as a normal practice. It's usually cheaper. When someone cuts me off on my way to work, I just smile, and wave, with all five fingers. I don't let people get me worked up. I carry everywhere it is legal to carry.

Spare mags are what the well dressed gentlemen are wearing this season.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
--Gunhaver
Don't let the guys quoted above contact your reps more than you.

Cavalry Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 17:44   #28
countrygun

Not a bit of change here. The vast majority of my "community" are still wondering what the big deal was. We don't have much of a racial issue at all
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 17:57   #29
jdavionic
NRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speediesparks View Post
Was thinking about this after watching the verdict.If I was involved in a self defense shooting and it was justified,I would still want someone like GZ defense attorneys on my side. You just don't know when or WHERE it is going to happen.You also don't know anything about the prosecutor that you are up against.I still think the Armed Citizens Defense Network is something worth looking into.For the cost I don't think it is wasting money.If anything it will bring peace of mine knowing who to call in the event of a shooting.Just my two cents.
Yep, the list of their experts is impressive. It would be nice having one or more in your corner.

"No matter how bad it gets, if you're still alive it's just another bad day."
jdavionic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 21:11   #30
brisk21

Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
brisk21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 21:44   #31
BobPistol

I think that self-defense insurance agents will have a TON more phone calls.
BobPistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 21:46   #32
SpectreRider
Armed Citizen

Considering whether to carry something less than lethal. Pepper spray or an asp.

Probably not though. Under circumstances that justify the use of lethal force, it seems foolish to use anything less than the most effective tool at hand.
SpectreRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 00:20   #33
RussP

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchool64 View Post
I still think Russ never sleeps
Why do you say that????

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 00:30   #34
RussP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebrake View Post
he does. he's just so damn good, he can dream post.

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:23   #35
Lior
GUNS=FREEDOM

None whatsoever.
Rust and bureaucrats. Freedom and vigilance. Front sight and trigger. Kindness and firepower. Situational awareness and tolerance. Safety and concealment. Taxes and allegiance. Love of man and surgical marksmanship. Once a soldier, always a soldier.
Lior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:40   #36
djdavis75

I don't think it was wise of Zimmerman to get out of his car like he did, it was a risky move in my opinion. That said, had I been in Zimmerman's shoes, would I have done anything differently, I do not know. It's easy to look back, with plenty of time to analyze the situation, and judge the decisions he made. In the moment though, I don't know if I would have acted differently or not. I'm sure Zimmerman felt at the time he was acting in an appropriate and reasonable manner.

Will it change the way I carry? NO. I will still carry, but it might change my mindset when I carry. I think I might put more thought into any action I take, and I think that's a good thing. It's our right to own and carry a firearm for self-defense in my opinion, but it doesn't make us bad ass crime fighters. That gun is there to protect you, your family, or an innocent person if and when needed. The gun shouldn't make you seek out a confrontation, or engage in any risky, stupid, or unnecessary behavior. I think that is the lesson we can all learn from this incident.

On talking to the cops...I've recently become a big believer in never answering any questions from cops until you've consulted with an attorney. You can see the prosecution tried to use many things Zimmerman said against him. While cops may not like it, it's your right to speak to an attorney prior to answering any questions, and it is probably in your best interest to do so in almost all circumstances. I'm not advocating being an ass to the police, but if you just used a gun in self-defense, you should be concerned about the rest of your life, not how well the cops like you.

On non-lethal weapons...I don't carry any, I'm not a trained fighter, and I'm not in the best physical shape. I know, I should work on all of those aspects. I don't disagree with carrying non-lethal weapons, but when you are being attacked, and you feel you may be in danger of serious bodily injury or death, you should use the weapon that saves your life. I will try to avoid confrontation, fighting, etc... whenever possible, but if the SHTF and I fear for my life, the life of a loved one, or the life of an innocent person, I will shoot someone to stop that threat.

Last edited by djdavis75; 07-15-2013 at 02:45..
djdavis75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:11   #37
fuzzy03cls

I admit if I'm faced with shooting a black person with no weapon I may hesitate. This entire thing blew up because he was black & Z was white enough. If TM were any other color it would not have been a issue. Take it however you want to take that statement but it's 100% true.
fuzzy03cls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:35   #38
Bullwinkle J Moose
Quick! Duck!

The Zimmerman self-defense case merely reinforced that which I already knew, not to go out of my way to find trouble. If and when trouble finds me it is not going to be because I made an extra effort to meet it half way.

On the flip side I now also resolve to not beat up creepy people that I think are following me... (not that I ever have or even could)

Last edited by Bullwinkle J Moose; 07-15-2013 at 08:52..
Bullwinkle J Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:37   #39
Torontogunguy

As most will know, I cannot carry concealed or otherwise in Canada excepting for wilderness protection against four legged beasts.

I DO carry stateside however and we are planning to retire to Florida (cheap flight for the kids/grandkids out of Buffalo) and have been giving some thought to AZ/NV.

If you have not had to confront someone intent on doing you grievous bodily harm or death you are trying to form a picture in your mind that is difficult to conjure up, at best.

I have looked down the muzzle of a firearm TWICE in my life. First time, as coincidence has it, was in the Orlando area on our way to Disney with the kids in the van. Guy was obviously high - nonetheless, I had a handgun pointed in my face. Had I been armed it is entirely likely that, had the better alternative been to 'light him up', that is exactly what I would have done. No questions asked. No thinking. Split second decision. The guy would have had ten rounds in him unless he was obviously ending his assault. Why ten rounds? Because that's what my magazines hold. We were Very lucky to escape with our lives at that time I believe at it was the defining moment - I have carried whenever and wherever possible stateside since and avoid the states where I am unable to protect myself or my family/friends. Period.

The second time I had to face firearms was during an attempted home invasion just about 3 years ago. Two obviously high punks at the door trying to pry it open (why they didn't just smash the glass I will never know)...both with pry bars and both with handguns. I told the 911 operator if they came in uninvited at 3 a.m. they would be leaving feet first - got the message and moments later our lawn was covered with police cars and the PUNKS were taken down at gunpoint. End of story.

If you carry a loaded gun you are held to a higher standard in the use of force - they key being that you should be "in fear of imminent grievous bodily harm or death by the actions of your assailant". Zimmerman's error was in giving statements and interviews. It was both his saving grace AND his downfall (almost). It is impossible to give a coherent statement to LE onsite and then again and again. Some things in your statement are going to change, either because you remember them otherwise as time goes on, or whatever. Best bet? Lawyer up and give a full and rock solid statement to law enforcement. And shut up. Period. Zimmerman did otherwise and it almost cost him the rest of his life behind bars. He is not out of the hot water yet as he continues to be tried in the media (please take CNN and FLN off of my cable, thank you). The politicians and the civil rights groups are hopping on board.

And what say of the gal in Florida who fired warning shots and has been sentenced to 20 years in prison for 'attempted murder'? To be straight, during training in use of lethal force, I was told that if you have cause to draw your firearm and use it, 'shoot to kill'. To do anything else is going to get you a world of hurt. You need to be sure of why you are drawing and shooting. And you need to do it right and keep your mouth shut. This gal had a restraining order against the ex. And she probably saved his life by firing those warning shots instead of drilling him.... but the courts do not think logically. She was likely entitled to use lethal force to prevent the attack as he approached her and those warning shots woke him up to the consequences of his actions. Was it a racist decision by the judge and jury? You bet your ass it was; they were both black. Wonder if the sentence would have been 20 years for a warning shot if she had been a white teenager? I don't know to be honest but I do know that at MOST this should have been a misdemeanor discharge of a firearm and in all honesty? It should never have gone to court. Period.

I am making NO changes based on the Zimmerman case nor the latter case. If I draw my firearm or remove it from safe storage in an 'event' I am intending to use it to end an assault. I will continue to do so for the rest of my days.

Zimmerman's arrest and trial was almost a travesty. I believe that it was necessary to extract the fine details of the events surrounding the death of Trayvon Martin that otherwise would never have come out. But from the evidence presented, NOT GUILTY was the correct verdict and from the EVIDENCE PRESENTED everyone should be satisfied with the outcome. Between the press and the other groups fanning the flames, this is not going to end in the near future and Zimmerman will never be able to live a normal life ever again. He has been sentenced to LIFE IN PRISON WITHOUT PAROLE. The only difference is that he has the benefit of travel and if I were George Zimmerman, I would lost those 90 pounds again, colour my hair, grow a beard and leave the country.

This was a tragedy - brought on by the actions and bravado of a less than wise teenager - and brought on by the actions of a neighborhood watch captain who should have perhaps waited for police to arrive before making another move when he was advised to do so. George Zimmerman, in the absence of evidence to the contrary, killed Trayvon Martin in self defense and was justified in doing so.

The only difference this may make to my personal actions? Stay away from dark places; install audio/video camera on the vehicle; turn my cellphone onto audio record and let it store to external SD RAM card whenever I am unsure. Or just plain old NOTHING DIFFERENT.

If I have to draw my weapon in defense of self/loved ones - I will use it.

Where does this stack up against the Zimmerman/Martin case? Not much different. Pity there was no video of the entire encounter and perhaps this needs to be made part of the neighborhood watch protocol in future?
There's no such thing as too much training or too much practice....
Torontogunguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 19:31   #40
LApm9

1) I have increased my awareness of my surroundings. I am not going to get sucker punched. I mean, at least I will be less likely to be sucker punched.

2) I am really going to go out of my way to me pleasant to my co-workers. This trial showed how valuable it is to have a lot of people who think you are a great person. So many of the witnesses for the prosecution seemed to really like "Georgie", which really helped him.
LApm9 is offline   Reply With Quote