SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-13-2013, 22:31   #1
MtBaldy
Obie Wan, RIP

So, still going to carry?

I was going to keep carrying anyway but may have been more reluctant to shoot. Especially if I was being attacked by a minority. Justice prevailed but at what cost? Zimmerman probably spent hundreds of thousands of dollars. He will be looking over his shoulder for black crazies, and their sympathizers, for the rest of his life. He still has a slew of civil lawsuits to survive. But at least he is alive. And if he hadn't had that Kel Tec 9 mm odds are he would be dead now. I will continue to carry but I may be more reluctant to use deadly force. I hope that doesn't get me killed but it is possible it will. So what will you do different?
Old 07-13-2013, 22:35   #2
Z28ricer

Send a message via AIM to Z28ricer
Have since 06', and it isn't changing now.

You'll be more reluctant to fire huh ?

When you need to make that decision, you wont have the luxury of enough time to be reluctant.
Z28ricer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 22:35   #3
G22Dude

I would suggest that you pay even closer attention to your State's self defense laws and run through scenarios that could result in you having to use force. Don't hesitate to use force when you must
G22Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 22:36   #4
Beretta92guy

yes i will still carry, and if my head is getting bashed into the pavement i will fire, just like Z. did
Beretta92guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 22:39   #5
Louisville Glocker
Urban Redneck

Of course I'll still carry.

I'll shoot if I need to, and won't if I don't. The Zimmerman trial changes nothing in my mind in that regard.
Louisville Glocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 22:41   #6
Pima Pants
Urine Idiot

My personal rule is that death needs to be on my doorstep before using deadly physical force. I have other force options at my disposal because "if all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail".

--Kim Sowol
Pima Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 22:43   #7
spork
Caffeinator

Nothing has changed for me. I will still carry, and my responses will be the same.
Old 07-13-2013, 22:43   #8
Caver 60

Absolutely yes, I will continue to carry virtually 24-7 where legal. But I'll never go looking for trouble. I won't be walking thorough the neighborhood or anyplace in the city at night (or day) where trouble may find me. I never go to bars, I don't do sports events, or other things where there might be trouble.

As ALWAYS, I'll do my best to avoid trouble even if it means embarrassment or walking or running away. If it even sounds like trouble ahead, I'll be going a different way.

But if trouble comes after me, and I fear death or great bodily harm to me or a loved one, I'll defend myself and worry about the consequences later.

The above is talking about outside my home. Inside my home, trouble may find trouble, unless they cease and desist PDQ.
Caver 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 22:44   #9
arclight610

Why not carry a non-lethal response as well?
arclight610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 22:44   #10
MtBaldy
Obie Wan, RIP

I hope I won't hesitate when I have to. I have talked to a couple of cops who admit to thinking about IA and how the media will treat them if they have to use their weapons. They admit it gives the ghetto thug with no thought of being second guessed by anyone a tactical advantage in a gunfight. Sux but it's the world we live in.
Old 07-13-2013, 22:46   #11
G22Dude

Even though my state has stand your ground law my practice has been and will always be to avoid confrontation even when I am 100% in the right. If I can safely disengage then I'm out. I've had situations where I would have justified in using for and I walked because I don't need the drama.
G22Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 22:47   #12
RagnarDanneskjold
Pirate

Seriously? Your decision to use lethal force is dependent on fear of lawyer fees? That's hyperbole, right? Presumably, you're not a raving psychotic, so you would only be shooting to defend your life from an imminent and serious threat, so the obvious inference is that you prefer likely death to a remotely possible court fight! Are you nuts? Fight the fight you're in, or you won't have the opportunity to fight the next fight.
Old 07-13-2013, 22:50   #13
M2 Carbine

Quote:
So what will you do different?
Nothing different.

A long time ago I decided that if someone needs to be shot, I'll shoot them.
Nothing has changed.
M2 Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 22:52   #14

If you carry a weapon, but are afraid to use it - for whatever reason - why carry it at all?

Enjoy yourself. It's later than you think.
427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 22:54   #15
GVFlyer

Uh yeah, he got off didn't he?

http://www.specialops.org/
GVFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 22:54   #16
UtahIrishman
BLR

It won't change anything for me. Here in Utah I doubt Zimmerman would have even been arrested.

----
UtahIrishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 22:58   #17
MtBaldy
Obie Wan, RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagnarDanneskjold View Post
Seriously? Your decision to use lethal force is dependent on fear of lawyer fees? That's hyperbole, right? .
No, that's facing reality. Zimmerman did nothing wrong. Arguably getting out of the truck was bad judgment but it can also be shown the Non-Emergency Number operator seemed to be asking where Martin had gone. For his troubles Zimmerman was attacked and then put through hell by a politically motivated Governor, Attorney General, and State's Attorney. So, yeah, all of that will be going through my mind if I have to draw my gun. It also means I WILL NOT draw my gun unless I, or my loved ones, are in immediate danger. A stranger getting attacked is SOL.
Old 07-13-2013, 23:00   #18
MtBaldy
Obie Wan, RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVFlyer View Post
Uh yeah, he got off didn't he?
Uh yeah, any idea how much his legal fees were? Or will continue to be once Crump and the Scheme Team file their civil suits?
Old 07-13-2013, 23:01   #19
Willfulone
CCA Corvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtBaldy View Post
I was going to keep carrying anyway but may have been more reluctant to shoot... I will continue to carry but I may be more reluctant to use deadly force... So what will you do different?
You should shoot for the foot...

Will
Willfulone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 23:02   #20
Front Sight
Front Sight

He should have never been on to get off.
Politics is just getting dirtier every day.
Could we all just vote them all out and replace with someone new. Preferably not a lawyer.
SAF
BIG DAWG #821
Front Sight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 23:11   #21
TxGlock9
2014 RACE TIME!

I'm still carrying. The suggestion of looking into state laws is good.
Old 07-13-2013, 23:32   #22
Fred Hansen
Liberal Bane

Nothing different. I am blessed in that I rarely go anywhere where scum are to be found. It's also fairly likely that I strike people as a person that wouldn't be a lot of fun to mess with, so I suppose that helps as well. The sad thing is that some young thugstas can't figure out that screwing with an old dude with nothing to lose just might win you a fire-axe to the face. Ouchie!
When change is absolute there remains no being to improve and no direction is set for possible improvement: and when experience is not retained, as among savages, infancy is perpetual. - George Santayana
Fred Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 23:35   #23
Jack Ryan
Get off my lawn

No changes, if anything I'll carry even more often.
Jack Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 23:47   #24
RagnarDanneskjold
Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtBaldy View Post
No, that's facing reality. Zimmerman did nothing wrong. Arguably getting out of the truck was bad judgment but it can also be shown the Non-Emergency Number operator seemed to be asking where Martin had gone. For his troubles Zimmerman was attacked and then put through hell by a politically motivated Governor, Attorney General, and State's Attorney. So, yeah, all of that will be going through my mind if I have to draw my gun. It also means I WILL NOT draw my gun unless I, or my loved ones, are in immediate danger. A stranger getting attacked is SOL.
Did you read the rest of my post before deleting it from the 'quote' portion, sir? I could understand this case making you hesitant to get involved in a situation you could safely ignore, but changing your shoot/no-shoot math? That's like an exhausted swimmer, struggling to reach shore, worrying that he might starve to death after he gets there. To say you would worry about the legal ramifications of saving your own life is tantamount to saying you prefer death to a trial. I don't.
Old 07-13-2013, 23:56   #25
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

****it. I'm still packin', Judged by 6, or carried by 3?
I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, s**t-kickers, Methodists, and the GTDS.
Angry Fist is offline   Reply With Quote