GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-08-2013, 10:43   #1
Wash-ar15

How long did it take for you to adjust to a DA/SA?

I am a glock and MP shooter. the last time i owned a DA/SA gun was when i had a 92SF. the thing was huge for my hands and the trigger reach long for my girlie hands.sold it. this was over 10 years ago

now i have a hankering for a gun, but its DA/SA again. I will have to retrain myself to for Da/SA shooting

So how long did it take for u to get the DA/SA thing?
Wash-ar15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:53   #2
Shipwreck-The-Sequel
Beretta 92 Nut!

Well, it can depend on the particular gun. I would not like DA/SA on some guns... Like HKs - the DA is damn heavy.

on a Beretta 92 - if you switch out the hammer spring for a factory "D" spring... The DA pull is down to less than 8.5lbs. Break the gun in, and it will be just over 8lbs. I practice with the DA a fair amount - even firing complete mags all in DA. A DA pull around 8 lbs is not hard to master.

Shipwreck-The-Sequel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:06   #3
markerbeacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wash-ar15 View Post
I am a glock and MP shooter. the last time i owned a DA/SA gun was when i had a 92SF. the thing was huge for my hands and the trigger reach long for my girlie hands.sold it. this was over 10 years ago

now i have a hankering for a gun, but its DA/SA again. I will have to retrain myself to for Da/SA shooting

So how long did it take for u to get the DA/SA thing?

Getting use to my new CZ 75 P-07 Duty in 40 S&W. It comes as/with a decocker but has an option (you install it in 5 minutes) to convert it to a Safety (in lieu of a Decocker). Review the CZ here: http://www.gunsandammo.com/reviews/n...#ixzz2YTOz7jsF
markerbeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:16   #4
countrygun

I am going to guess that you are referring to what is called "the transition" , that is automatically changing from a DA first shot to subsequent shots being SA.

I went from SA autos and DA revolvers to the DA/SA system, which was a common progression back then. It was much less difficult IMO than today for those who only have experience with striker fired systems.

Again, just from my own experience, there are two challenges to be met, for most the first will be hitting anything with a DA trigger. That is simply a matter of practicing the technique as you would if you were trying a revolver for the first time.

The second is the gun, after a loud "bang" and recoil. is now cocked with a light SA pull. almost everyone finds that second round firing before they expect as their trigger finger takes up slack in what had been, seconds before, a DA pull. I certainly had trouble with it.

I spent a lot of ammo doing nothing but double taps, from a DA first shot, hammering on that change and trying to "teach" my suddenly clumsy trigger finger this new trick.

At some point it just "clicked" , probably into my second or third box of ammo I "got it" and then started working on "getting it better".
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:22   #5
Darkangel1846

2 or 3 shots.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:25   #6
collim1
Shower Time!

I had no choice but to adjust pretty quickly. I went to a LE agency that mandated carry of the issued P226. Made my last duty gun, a Glock 23, a safe queen.

I started out Firing a round in DA mode, decoking and shooting again. I fired about a hundreds rounds in DA mode getting a feel for the DA trigger break while really concentrating on shooting tight groups up close like 7 yards.

After that I started working on the DA/SA transistion by firing double taps from DA with the second shot being SA. Decock and repeat for atleast another hundred rounds.

After that I started shooting normally and really focusing on the first DA pull and the DA to SA transition. It took a few more range sessions repeating this to really get the feel for it.

I also had to learn to decock prior to holstering. It took a while to become muscle memory.

I ended up really liking my Sig and found that I no longer shot my Glock as well as I used to. I sold the Glock and bought a Sig P239 for off duty carry several years ago and have been very happy with it.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:24   #7
BlackFratelli

It took me 250 rounds.

Last year I couldn't hit a barn from the inside in DA,so I bought two bricks of UMC and got my house in order.Its not as difficult as the pundits would have you believe.After round 150 I got the hang of it,and by the last 9mm round I was knocking over cans at 30 feet in DA.

At my last range outing I broke out the shot timer app,and clocked my fastest draw from concealment using my 92FS at 1.50 seconds .Hammer down,safety off,target was an 8" plate at 10 yards.The victor of a gunfight goes to he who knows their gun the best.
BlackFratelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:38   #8
Beanie-Bean

Doesn't take long if you practice with DA. I always decock my SIG Sauer pistols after chambering the first round, that way I'll have to focus on getting the first shot where it's supposed to go. The rest are much easier for the follow-up shots in SA mode.

Beanie-Bean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 13:04   #9
mrt949

I still have a issues with da/sa .So stick with striker fired at this time.
mrt949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 13:08   #10
M&P15T
Beard One

I've shot Glocks since forever.

I got a wild hair up my arse, and bought a P2269MM...

I couldn't get the DA/SA trigger to work for me at all.

Back to Glock.
Old 07-08-2013, 13:38   #11
Boats
Not Assimilated

It took one snap cap, a bunch of dry firing, and 50 rounds of ammo when I transitioned from SAO only to DA/SA.

You have to put in at least a little work.

Helps to use a D spring M92 as well. A four pound transition is nothing.
Boats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 13:58   #12
cfr

Tagged.

cfr, 2013
cfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 14:45   #13
The_Gun_Guru
Ban Democrats!!

for me it is more like I had to get used to striker fired guns. I still have my 92 FS and it's been a favorite for almost 20 years now. I love single action semi autos as well.

TGG
Kalashnikov Klub #4519
OD G19 - LOTS of AKs - Only ONE AR....but it's a Colt!
NO AMNESTY FOR ILLEGAL ALIENS!!!
This is America. If you can't or won't speak English, PLEASE LEAVE!!!
The_Gun_Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 15:25   #14
poodleplumber

The transition never bothered me, but I grew up with revolvers and had some familiarity with DA and SA and the different feel. Revolvers really reinforce the idea of squeezing the trigger and letting the shot surprise you, and the principle carries over to DA/SA pistols for me.
poodleplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 15:33   #15
barth
six barrels

Quote:
Originally Posted by collim1 View Post
I had no choice but to adjust pretty quickly. I went to a LE agency that mandated carry of the issued P226. Made my last duty gun, a Glock 23, a safe queen.

I started out Firing a round in DA mode, decoking and shooting again. I fired about a hundreds rounds in DA mode getting a feel for the DA trigger break while really concentrating on shooting tight groups up close like 7 yards.

After that I started working on the DA/SA transistion by firing double taps from DA with the second shot being SA. Decock and repeat for atleast another hundred rounds.

After that I started shooting normally and really focusing on the first DA pull and the DA to SA transition. It took a few more range sessions repeating this to really get the feel for it.

I also had to learn to decock prior to holstering. It took a while to become muscle memory.

I ended up really liking my Sig and found that I no longer shot my Glock as well as I used to. I sold the Glock and bought a Sig P239 for off duty carry several years ago and have been very happy with it.
+1
I was going to post.
But this description sums up my experience with DA/SA well.

Only difference is
1) I'm not LE.
2) After many years of carrying a Sig P220/45 and P239/357,
both DA/SA SRT guns with tuned actions, I switch to Glock.
3) Then recently for carry -
I've replaced the Glock with Heckler & Koch Light LEM.
(HK45C & P2000SK 357 Sig)

Last edited by barth; 07-08-2013 at 16:03..
barth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 15:50   #16
crazymoose
Nonentity

Define "adjust." If you're talking about getting the DA shot and SA shots COM on a target, you can get there pretty quickly. If you're talking about getting to where the DA shot goes POI with all the SA shots, that can take a while. In stressful situations like competitions or training drills, where you default to muscle memory, the DA round fired even by very experienced shooters can usually be spotted as a flyer an inch or two below the other holes in the paper.

Doubt is an unpleasant condition, but certainty is absurd. Voltaire
crazymoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 16:06   #17
Larry V

Send a message via Yahoo to Larry V
Get a sig p226 229 or 220 with an SRT trigger and it will take all of 5 min to love it
Larry V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 16:46   #18
Deaf Smith

Wash,

Just get a SIG with a DAK trigger then no SA/DA transition is needed.

Otherwise, range time will solve the problem. Just make sure you decock the gun after every DRAW (even if no shot is fired. And then learn the 'crunch-tic' method.

Or you could use the shot-cock method (Jeff Cooper mentioned it.) Or Ray Chapman's off thumb cock on draw.

Deaf
Old 07-08-2013, 17:10   #19
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

It took me several years to get to the point I really wanted to be with it. I took a hiatus from DA/SA for about a year. After a few range sessions I was back in the grove.

It won't take you long at all to get back into it. A good smooth trigger job will make your life easier. It's good to see your interest in such a fine trigger system!

Good luck!

Old 07-08-2013, 17:12   #20
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry V View Post
Get a sig p226 229 or 220 with an SRT trigger and it will take all of 5 min to love it
+1 on the SRT! It really helps out and refines the gun overall in the hands of a experienced shooter.