GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-07-2013, 10:20   #1
Z71bill

Radiator hoses - how many years do they last?

I had the coolant in my 2007 Tahoe flushed and replaced a couple months ago - the hoses still looked great - so I figured I would wait and replace them next time I replaced the coolant.

Truck is 6 1/2 years old - but only has a little over 25K miles.

I have a 2,500 trip set for the end of the month - and did an inspection of everything under the hood.

I happen to notice the diameter of the radiator hose grows quit a bit when the engine is warmed up VS cold - never really paid any attention to it before - but I assume its normal.

Even when hot the hoses feel soft and flexible.

Should I expect to get at least 9-10 years service out of original radiator hoses?

Thinking maybe I should pick up one of these - If I have it I will not need it .

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...ctor_6011497-p

Last edited by Z71bill; 07-07-2013 at 10:23..
Z71bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:28   #2
itstime

Nowadays I just don't see the frequency of hoses failing. Probably a couple a year. And these are vehicles way beyond the timeline you are stating.

I used to replace hoses as maint. years ago. Now it's more when the radiator leaks or doesn't perform to spec you change it all out.
itstime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:30   #3
Bruce M

http://www.gates.com/brochure.cfm?brochure=1022
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:32   #4
HerrGlock
CLM Number 2
Scouts Out

If you can find one, get one of the blue silicon hoses. They cost about three/four times as much but I've never heard of one failing.
HerrGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:32   #5
aircarver
Silver Membership
Ride Continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by itstime View Post
Nowadays I just don't see the frequency of hoses failing. Probably a couple a year. And these are vehicles way beyond the timeline you are stating.

I used to replace hoses as maint. years ago. Now it's more when the radiator leaks or doesn't perform to spec you change it all out.

They'd created a vast, permanently unemployed underclass, dependent upon the Republic's stupendous welfare machine for its very existence, and in so doing, they'd sown the seeds of their own destruction. No one could place two-thirds of a world's population on the Dole and keep them there forever without the entire system crashing . . . but how in hell did one get them off the Dole? -David Weber, Flag in Exile
aircarver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:02   #6
RenoF250

You don't need to worry about changing them until:
They leak
They bulge
Feel crunchy when you squeeze them
RenoF250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:17   #7
pag23

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrGlock View Post
If you can find one, get one of the blue silicon hoses. They cost about three/four times as much but I've never heard of one failing.
They are made by Goodyear and work great but I think only made for certain engine sizes. I would replace them after 6 yrs especially if the car sits a lot.
Old 07-07-2013, 13:15   #8
larry_minn
Silver Membership

It does depend on what local conditions are like. If hoses are solid, flexible I don't worry. I replace t hem when I replace water pump. I have a couple extra hoses. Both take offs and new factory hoses when I noticed possible weakness.
Couple yrs later still good.

I have some orig hoses 20 yrs old still good.
larry_minn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 13:28   #9
HiddenEyes
It can be done

Bulging under heat and pressure is normal even on a new hose. Look for the clamps cutting into them or splitting on a sharp bend. If you don't see any of that I'd leave them.

Mr. HE

Moi Нет sprechen español
HiddenEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 13:31   #10
HiddenEyes
It can be done

If you replace them check out. http://www.siliconehose.com/

I've not dealt with them myself but have a few friends who use their products and are happy.

Mr. HE

Moi Нет sprechen español
HiddenEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 14:41   #11
DoubleWide

They used to last about 10 years for me, but I think it has a lot more to do with heating and cooling cycles and the climate where you are. PCV hoses will go a lot quicker and rot out on you if they're getting oil in them. Not all engine designs are created equal.
DoubleWide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 16:33   #12
FLIPPER 348
Happy Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z71bill View Post

Should I expect to get at least 9-10 years service out of original radiator hoses?
I've never considered changing them on my Jap trucks, now or in the past. There is an 01 Exterra and a 04 Tacoma out in the driveway with all original hoses.
FLIPPER 348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 17:15   #13
pizza_pablo
USN Retired

They just don't seem to wear or fail, like they used to.
Something changed, be it coolant content or engine make up.
I have three cars, 2001 (185,00 miles), and 2 2004 (165,000 & 115,000 miles) Subarus, with original hoses.
Old 07-07-2013, 19:27   #14
Kentucky Shooter
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizza_pablo View Post
They just don't seem to wear or fail, like they used to.
Something changed, be it coolant content or engine make up.
I have three cars, 2001 (185,00 miles), and 2 2004 (165,000 & 115,000 miles) Subarus, with original hoses.
I agree, they never seem to fail anymore. I have a 2002 Avalon with 211,000 miles with original hoses. Even the dealers dont seem to be pushing them to be replaced anymore. They just inspect them, but they have never suggested that I have them replaced.

Last edited by Kentucky Shooter; 07-07-2013 at 19:28..
Kentucky Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 20:15   #15
BigMoneyGrip

The ones on my truck are the ones that came on it. '96 Chevy with the 6.5 TD and 270K on the clock. I've changed the coolant once when the thermostat stuck open. It still has the original water pump.
BigMoneyGrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 18:28   #16
sombunya

The top hose (hot one) on a '91 Ford Tempo I had went 20 years and >200k miles before it developed a pinhole leak. I was checking it regularly when I was doing cooling system service on the car. I think the rest of the hoses never gave out.

Plastic radiator never leaked either.

http://www.hopeforpaws.org
sombunya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 18:36   #17
elsolo

They last until you have some other part fail and cause overheating. By then, the car is 10+ years old and many parts are becoming obsolete, and hard to find the OEM molded hose with just the right bends.
elsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 18:43   #18
sputnik767

I prophylactically replaced my radiator hoses and thermostat after 10 years and about 100k miles on my Tacoma, since I was doing a coolant replacement anyway. The thermostat was fine and the hoses looked brand new when I took them off. I replaced them with Toyota genuine hoses.
sputnik767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:53   #19
Z71bill

Does the top hose fail more often? Why is that?

Say out of 100 radiator hose failures - is it 50/50 top/bottom or 70/30 or what?

Top hoes is easy to replace.

BTW - I will admit what got me thinking about this was the stupid Farmer's insurance commercial - where the spokesman - who was the psychiatrist from Law and Order TV show says - you should replace the hoses on your washing machine every 5 years.

Last edited by Z71bill; 07-09-2013 at 09:00..
Old 07-09-2013, 08:54   #20
datatech2550

I had a cracked radiator on my 02 Avalanche, I went ahead and changed out the hoses "just because." The truck had over 165K and 12 years (built in 01) and the hoses were all original and still looked great.

I mean, hey once the radiator is out the hoses and t-stat are easy to change.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:59   #21
Z71bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by datatech2550 View Post
I had a cracked radiator on my 02 Avalanche, I went ahead and changed out the hoses "just because." The truck had over 165K and 12 years (built in 01) and the hoses were all original and still looked great.

I mean, hey once the radiator is out the hoses and t-stat are easy to change.
Thanks - now I will start worrying about the radiator.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:00   #22
datatech2550

Quote:
Does the top hose fail more often? Why is that?

Say out of 100 radiator hose failures - is it 50/50 top/bottom or 70/30 or what?

Top hoes is easy - to replace.

BTW - I will admit what got me thinking about this was the stupid Farmer's insurance commercial - where the spokesman - who was the psychiatrist from Law and Order TV show says - you should replace the hoses on your washing machine every 5 years.
Seems like I've blown more heater hoses, but that was like 20 - 30 years ago.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:03   #23
Z71bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by datatech2550 View Post
Seems like I've blown more heater hoses, but that was like 20 - 30 years ago.
So now I need to worry about the heater hoses?

What's next - fuel pump - brake lines - transmission.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:09   #24
datatech2550

On the chevy trucks, the water pump seems to be the weakest link. But they usually start leaking before they completely fail.

Don't ignore it and keep adding coolant, these AL engines don't tolerate over heating. When the pump blows it can cause a lot of damage.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:18   #25
SC Tiger
Shaved Ape

Quote:
I had the coolant in my 2007 Tahoe flushed and replaced a couple months ago - the hoses still looked great - so I figured I would wait and replace them next time I replaced the coolant.

Truck is 6 1/2 years old - but only has a little over 25K miles.

I have a 2,500 trip set for the end of the month - and did an inspection of everything under the hood.

I happen to notice the diameter of the radiator hose grows quit a bit when the engine is warmed up VS cold - never really paid any attention to it before - but I assume its normal.

Even when hot the hoses feel soft and flexible.

Thinking maybe I should pick up one of these - If I have it I will not need it .

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...ctor_6011497-p
The originals on mine lasted about 7-8 years before I replaced them, and they still looked good. The water pump failed so while I was there I replaced both hoses. I only replaced the inlet and outlet hoses. The bypass hoses have been there since the truck was new in 2000.

I put in a radiator this past weekend and reused the old hoses. They still looked fine.

What might surprise you (or put you in cardiac arrest) is the cost of that y-shaped bypass hose that goes from the pump to the heater core and the resevoir tank. Last I checked it was special order and about $100.00.

Something else - much of what those hoses connect to are plastic (the radiator connections and I believe the heater core connections) so you might actually create a problem by changing them.

Were it me, I would just carry whatever tool is needed to change out the hoses (pliers probably if they still use the spring clamps - channel locks work pretty well) and if you have a failure just go to an auto parts store and get one. They aren't hard to find and are a stocked item.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keoking View Post
If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Last edited by SC Tiger; 07-09-2013 at 09:23..
SC Tiger is online now   Reply With Quote