SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-13-2013, 14:46   #1
wrangler_dave9

Blackhawk! Level 3 Duty or Safariland 6360

Hey GTers!

I need help deciding between the above listed holsters. For the academy, I only need a level 2, but I figure I'll just train with a level 3 to begin with and practice weapon retention. Weapon is a G22 gen 3. I love the design of the Blackhawk, but I've heard mixed reviews on the SERPA failing with debris getting into it. I've also heard it fails horribly should you ever need to re-holster, reload, and re-draw all with support hand. Videos show that the Safariland excels in this. These reviews have come from videos as well as the forums on officer.com

I'd like opinions, reviews, personal stories, or horror stories of either holster failing and the circumstances surrounding that failure. Thanks!

Just another day in paradise.
wrangler_dave9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 15:13   #2
FiremanMike
Way too busy

6395 in my opinion, but many disagree with that choice.

Here's my reasoning. Any time my spidey senses were tingling, I dropped the hood on my 6360, leaving just the thumb security. I reevaluated what I was doing and realized "hey, hood down always?" But I didn't want to do that with the 6360, because if I planned on it always being down, then in that oh crap moment when I needed it and it was up, I'd to into a loop and lose precious seconds. So I switched to the 6325 (now called the 6395) and couldn't be happier. It's lightning quick by the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShallNotBeInfringed
I humbly submit I have over one million Concealed Carry hours. First license is from early 80's.
FiremanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 15:13   #3
indigent
Bamboozled

I use a Safariland 6325 which is similar to the 6360, minus the SLS hood. I'd say go with the Safariland, they're tough as nails and I've never had any issues with mine. Don't think you'll be disappointed.

Like FiremanMike said, they are lightning fast and you know once you drop that pistol back in there, its locked.

Last edited by indigent; 07-13-2013 at 15:16..
indigent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 15:48   #4
Fredder
TANSTAAFL

I use the Serpa Level 3. Fastest holster I have. I have never had an issue with it.

Last edited by Fredder; 07-13-2013 at 15:48..
Fredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 16:25   #5
RyanNREMTP
Inactive/Banned

Either one will do the job during the academy. The questions should be afterwards. If the agency that you go to work for uses Safariland and you have the Blackhawk there a period of retraining and vice versa.

I used the Blackhawk during the academy and a short time afterwards on patrol. I switched to Safariland because I wanted a Streamlight TRL-1 to carry on my pistol. Safariland was the only company that has a holster for this purpose. So now I have a Blackhawk Level 3 holster sitting in my closet gathering dust. I'll find another use for it someday.

Blackhawk is supposed to be coming out with a holster that will accept different WML on a pistol. I don't know anything about them nor have heard any pro or cons about them yet. I much rather go with something tried and true.

Good luck in deciding.
Old 07-13-2013, 16:39   #6
TXCOPPER

I've used both, and both are fine holsters. But, in my opinion the Blackhawk is the better of the two.

It is not only extremely secure, but it also puts the hand on the gun in a perfect shooting grip. Anyone who has heard of the AD aspect of the Blackhawk should immediately realize that those with that problem are drawing incorrectly.

That's not a holster issue so much as it is a training issue. I highly recommend the Blackhawk, and wouldn't want to change to anything else with the gun we carry (also the G22). Just my $.02

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Last edited by TXCOPPER; 07-13-2013 at 16:39..
TXCOPPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 16:39   #7
collim1
Shower Time!

About the only thing I hate worse than ASP handcuffs is the Serpa duty holsters. They are pure garbage and not suited for patrol work.

The Safariland 6070 and 6360 are two of the best duty holsters out there.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 16:40   #8
TXCOPPER

I don't use the ASP cuffs though, as I agree with Collim on that.

TXCOPPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 16:46   #9
RocPO

Safariland 6360. I just got issued one with the new department.
RocPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 17:11   #10
wrangler_dave9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanNREMTP View Post
Either one will do the job during the academy. The questions should be afterwards. If the agency that you go to work for uses Safariland and you have the Blackhawk there a period of retraining and vice versa.
I didn't list it, but that thought process is rumbling around upstairs. The agency I want to go with just switched to G 17 using the 6360. I knew they were switching to 9 mm, that's why I got .40, so I can have both.

Old 07-13-2013, 17:13   #11
rookie1

I started with the 6360, changed agencies and was issued essentially the 070 or a garbage off brand depending on what they had laying around. Then we decided to add a weapon light and got the Serpa with Xiphos light. I liked the idea of a light and felt it was a step in the right direction. I however would like to go back to the 6360 in a heartbeat. Getting technical here but I prefer the idea of using my thumb to disable the retention. The serpa you go from thumb to finger and placement with finger is not always the best. Again, I'm digging a bit deep the 6360 is my vote.
Old 07-13-2013, 17:14   #12
wrangler_dave9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXCOPPER View Post
. Anyone who has heard of the AD aspect of the Blackhawk should immediately realize that those with that problem are drawing incorrectly.

Agreed. Everytime I read or hear this argument, I automatically push it aside. Its all about training!

Old 07-13-2013, 17:23   #13
DaBigBR
No Infidels!

6360. I would just as soon toss my issued Sepra III and worthless Xiphos light.

-David Simon in "Homicide"
DaBigBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 19:41   #14
wrangler_dave9

Thanks for the posts so far. Keep em comin!

Old 07-14-2013, 01:00   #15
Ftttu

I like them both, but I'm carrying the Blackhawk! Serpa Level III at this time. Said on here so many times before, it is the fastest drawing holster I've ever had. Just like I don't recommend .380s for regular off-duty or CCW, I don't recommend the Serpa for everyone. You have to be conscious of what you are doing, practicing drawing from it numerous times before using it on duty. Again, I'm really conscious of not putting my trigger finger on the trigger until I'm ready to fire so that drilled into me keeps me from automatically curling my trigger finger while drawing.
Ftttu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 06:13   #16
ditchdoc24

6360 for me. I won't use any other holster.
ditchdoc24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:52   #17
Sharkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredder View Post
I use the Serpa Level 3. Fastest holster I have. I have never had an issue with it.
My last agency issued these but it was mostly because of the cheaper price. They are fast.

Some instructors don't like them and I am in that camp. I bought my own Safariland holster.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:10   #18
wrangler_dave9

I'd love to get both, but finances just don't allow for it right now. I'm sold on the 6360. I just have one other Queston. Which finish is going to better match the Bianchi Accumold elite Basketweave? The Safariland basketweave or the STX basketweave?

Old 07-14-2013, 12:47   #19
steveksux
Massive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrangler_dave9 View Post
I'd love to get both, but finances just don't allow for it right now. I'm sold on the 6360. I just have one other Queston. Which finish is going to better match the Bianchi Accumold elite Basketweave? The Safariland basketweave or the STX basketweave?

I've heard the STX is way more durable, lasts longer, resists scuffing, and its cheaper. Not sure about the matching part. Basketweave is basketweave, I don't think its different enough to draw attention either way.

Randy
steveksux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 15:34   #20
DaBigBR
No Infidels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrangler_dave9 View Post

Neither is going to match really well, but the STX basketweave is absolutely the way to go, regardless, period. It's cheaper, more durable, looks as good or better, etc.

-David Simon in "Homicide"
DaBigBR is offline   Reply With Quote