Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-18-2013, 20:51   #1
MLittle

10mm Conversion

I own a Glock30sf that has been 100% reliable. If I wanted to convert it to 10mm what would be involved? Can I just buy a 10mm barrel and new magazine for 10mm, install them and shoot 10mm? Are there any other mods required such as recoil spring, ejector??
MLittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 21:00   #2
Opie 1 Kenopie
Regular Guy

There are MANY threads on GT about this topic. A quick search will answer all of your questions.

You will need a conversion barrel, G29 magazines and a heavier recoil spring assembly. I ordered a 22# setup from Wolff Gunsprings. My conversion worked fine, never had a problem. Somebody here mentioned the .45 extractor claw not getting a secure grip on the bottom of the smaller 10mm case head. In essence the breach face is too big for the 10. While it works, I visually confirmed that the .45 claw BARELY grabs the case head of the 10 round. That's ok for the range, but I made the conversion for a backpacking gun in the High Sierras. That's one place I didn't want to have a failure. I sold the conversion parts and bought a dedicated G29SF. Short story long... it can be done but I wouldn't bet my safety on it as a carry weapon.
Old 05-18-2013, 21:04   #3
MLittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie 1 Kenopie View Post
There are MANY threads on GT about this topic. A quick search will answer all of your questions.

You will need a conversion barrel, G29 magazines and a heavier recoil spring assembly. I ordered a 22# setup from Wolff Gunsprings. My conversion worked fine, never had a problem. Somebody here mentioned the .45 extractor claw not getting a secure grip on the bottom of the smaller 10mm case head. In essence the breach face is too big for the 10. While it works, I visually confirmed that the .45 claw BARELY grabs the case head of the 10 round. That's ok for the range, but I made the conversion for a backpacking gun in the High Sierras. That's one place I didn't want to have a failure. I sold the conversion parts and bought a dedicated G29SF. Short story long... it can be done but I wouldn't bet my safety on it as a carry weapon.
That's what I figured..... Knew it could be done, but it would probably just be easier to buy a new pistol. Always looking for an excuse to pick up a new handgun. Now, it comes down to the 29sf or a 44mag revolver. Decisions, decisions.....
MLittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 21:13   #4
Opie 1 Kenopie
Regular Guy

Easy decision! G29SF! More rounds, less recoil and, while its not quite the punch of a .44, the mighty 10mm is one heck of a nice load for stopping big, mean things.

Last edited by Opie 1 Kenopie; 05-18-2013 at 21:13..
Opie 1 Kenopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:08   #5
nyrico

I chose the conversion route as opposed to the G29 route because, for me, the gun will primarily be used in .45 acp. One question that I have is when using heavier loads in the G29 do you also need to up your recoil spring weight? It appears as though both the 29 & 30 have the same RSA with a 17lb spring, my observations of my converted G30 with the factory spring was that the brass was thrown quite a distance leading me to believe that the spring weight needed to be increased. Wouldn't this be case with the G29 as well? I ask because , on paper, the two guns appear to be very similar with exception to the barrels and the slides milling I assume. The 29 weighs, according to glocks' site , .5 oz more than the 30, I assume that can be attributed to a slightly thicker barrel ( 10mm being a slightly smaller bore diameter by~.05" x 3.78" difference meaning more metal ) and the rest would be the slide as they have the same frame and internals. Would that difference in weight be enough to slow the slide down significantly? Just interested and thought I would ask. I also did my conversion with only a conversion barrel and mags, I have had no issues with FTE through 50 rounds without changing the extractor. The 50 rounds went fine, but, with the brass flying 15 feet I figured I would be safe and order an RSA with stronger spring. I realize that I need to get more rounds down range before feeling comfortable, but, so far so good.
nyrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:14   #6
bmoore

Here you go. You will also need mags.

http://www.glockmeister.com/GLOCK-29...info/G29UPPER/

Last edited by bmoore; 05-19-2013 at 11:15..
bmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 13:45   #7
GRT45
Transform & Win

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrico View Post
One question that I have is when using heavier loads in the G29 do you also need to up your recoil spring weight? It appears as though both the 29 & 30 have the same RSA with a 17lb spring, my observations of my converted G30 with the factory spring was that the brass was thrown quite a distance leading me to believe that the spring weight needed to be increased. Wouldn't this be case with the G29 as well? I ask because , on paper, the two guns appear to be very similar with exception to the barrels and the slides milling I assume. The 29 weighs, according to glocks' site , .5 oz more than the 30, I assume that can be attributed to a slightly thicker barrel ( 10mm being a slightly smaller bore diameter by~.05" x 3.78" difference meaning more metal ) and the rest would be the slide as they have the same frame and internals. Would that difference in weight be enough to slow the slide down significantly? Just interested and thought I would ask.
The earlier post shown below has info relevant to your question. The G30 10mm conversion and G29 can be treated identically regarding recoil spring strength. Stronger recoil springs aren't necessarily required for safe or reliable operation with the full-power 10mm loads, but brass that is thrown a great distance makes recovering the empty cases more difficult. Many 10mm shooters reload ammo and that is important.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1canvas View Post
I don't understand why the slide would be thinner. I think I had seen that a 21 has some milling out of the slide but I don't see it inside of the 30 slide.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRT45 View Post
You are correct on both points. The G21 slide does have some non-structural mass milled away from the sides forward of the ejection port when compared to the G20 (see photo below). The G30 slide, on the other hand, is neither thinner or lighter than the G29 slide. I've seen side-by-side weight measurements posted at GT comparing the G29 and G30 slide where the G30 slide was heavier than the G29 slide simply due to a different make of sights. The data was posted by others in a thread some years ago at GT that I believe was opened by GT member ennis.

The milled areas of the longer G21 slide are removed to lighten the slide for an optimal match between mass and recoil energy produced by the lower-energy 45ACP round. It does not weaken the slide or make the G21 10mm conversion unsafe, but you have to contend with a higher slide velocity on the G21 10mm conversion, with more frame battering possible, as compared to the G20.

It's not necessary to treat the G30 converted to 10mm differently from the G29. This has come up before. Find a sensitive scale, remove the barrels from the slides of a G30 and G29 and weigh the slides (assuming identical sights on both slides). The weight of the RSA is a wash since it's the identical Glock, Inc. part number for the G29 and G30. Essentially all of the weight difference is due to the barrel.

The difference in unloaded weight is 0.53 oz. between the Gen4 G30 (23.81 oz) and Gen4 G29 (24.34 oz) that Glock lists on their website. There is more weight in the G29 barrel due to the thicker walls (more metal) in the barrel of the G29 (same OD as G30 barrel but smaller ID equals more metal). The difference in metal volume is roughly 0.126 in³ more for the G29 at a bore ID of 0.4" versus 0.45" for the G30; both with a length of 3.78 inches. Assuming the density of steel is in the range of 4.48-4.65 oz./in³ and using the lower value to be conservative, the difference in weight of the barrels is 4.48 x 0.126 = 0.56 oz. This is a rough estimation, of course, but it agrees with the published data showing the slides of the two pistols are equal weight and the barrel accounts for most of the weight difference between the two pistols.

However, the added weight is duplicated when a 45-10mm conversion barrel is installed in the G30 slide. In fact, the weight of a G30 45-10mm conversion barrel may be greater than a G29 factory barrel, depending on materials used, since the barrel chamber hood of the conversion barrel is made .050" wider than a G29 barrel hood to better match the G30 45ACP slide breechface.

Photo comparison of OEM G20 10mm slide (left) and OEM G21 45ACP slide (right). The muzzle end of the slides are at the bottom of the photo. Note the milled area on both sides of the G21 slide removing non-structural mass forward of the chamber opening.

General Glocking

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
: Strictly monogamous, I have one Glock and one woman.
GLOCK Certified Armorer,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Member,
Endowment Member, Eagle Scout

Last edited by GRT45; 05-19-2013 at 15:52..
GRT45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 15:01   #8
nyrico

Thanks, you answered the question I meant to ask which was is my converted G30 basically the same as a G29. I also did not realize that the long distance thrown brass was more an inconvenience than a problem. I am still glad that I ordered the RSA with 21 lb springs in order to avoid frame battering. I guess one advantage though is that you can safely fire cast bullets.
nyrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 15:37   #9
GRT45
Transform & Win

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrico View Post
I am still glad that I ordered the RSA with 21 lb springs in order to avoid frame battering. I guess one advantage though is that you can safely fire cast bullets.
The 21-lb recoil spring is a good balance for the full-power Underwood and Buffalo Bore ammo for carry but one can overdo it. A stronger spring provides some modest benefit in better protecting the frame, but felt recoil increases with a stronger spring. It's more noticeable in the subcompact 10mm. A 23-lb spring in the G30 10mm conversion did not improve comfort shooting full-power loads for me, and it induced a few FTE problems with very low power factory loads in practice ammo.

: Strictly monogamous, I have one Glock and one woman.
GLOCK Certified Armorer,
Member,
Endowment Member, Eagle Scout

Last edited by GRT45; 05-19-2013 at 20:19..
GRT45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 20:20   #10
legalsten

I bought a Storm Lake Conversion barrel for my G 30 so I could shoot 10 mm in it. I chose to not change the spring because I had handloads that are no where close to full power. I also found a magazine on ebay . I figure to just use my G 20 for full power loads but wanted to have another option. I have only fired it a few times but it worked fine so far .
legalsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:17   #11
1canvas

I bought a G30sf with the conversion in mind so I bought a Stormlake barrel and some mags. I had a few fail to eject and double feeds. I then bought a 10mm extractor which made no difference. I called Storm lake and they had me send the barrel in. it came back with some grind marks on it and it was worse. I tried to get an exchange and they wouldn't. they wanted me to send the slide in and said they would make it work. after seeing the ruff grind they put on the barrel I decided not to. lucky for me I had bought the barrel from Midway and they gave me a ''no questions asked'' refund.
if you think about it with the larger breechface of the .45 its not a reliable set up. the narrower 10mm breech face assures the case is locked into the extractor.
I bought a G20sf and am happy with that. the G20 seems much bigger until you lay the G30 on top. the G20 handles the hottest loads from Underwood very nicely.
I wanted a 10mm for a woods protection gun with 100% reliability with heavy loads and now thats what I have.

Last edited by 1canvas; 07-31-2013 at 08:19..
1canvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:34   #12
Arnold Kuhl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1canvas View Post
I bought a G30sf with the conversion in mind so I bought a Stormlake barrel and some mags. I had a few fail to eject and double feeds. I then bought a 10mm extractor which made no difference. I called Storm lake and they had me send the barrel in. it came back with some grind marks on it and it was worse. I tried to get an exchange and they wouldn't. they wanted me to send the slide in and said they would make it work. after seeing the ruff grind they put on the barrel I decided not to. lucky for me I had bought the barrel from Midway and they gave me a ''no questions asked'' refund.
if you think about it with the larger breechface of the .45 its not a reliable set up. the narrower 10mm breech face assures the case is locked into the extractor.
I bought a G20sf and am happy with that. the G20 seems much bigger until you lay the G30 on top. the G20 handles the hottest loads from Underwood very nicely.
I wanted a 10mm for a woods protection gun with 100% reliability with heavy loads and now thats what I have.
Funny, I've been toying with the idea of someday getting a 10mm. Never had one. If I got one, it would be the 20SF or Gen4 20. I would not want it for plinking; rather, for woods protection, with full-power factory loads. For that reason, I would forgo the 29SF or Gen4 29, as full-power fodder would be recoil-abusive in this small pistol, IMHO.

After reading all the stuff about .45-10mm conversions, I've concluded that the answer is to BUY a NEW 10mm Glock. I would have a very hard time justifying the acquisition of a G20, as I don't hunt anymore and my woods-time is almost non-existent. Still, it would be fun to try one of these guns.

Regards,
AK
Arnold Kuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:47   #13
1canvas

after I got my refund for the barrel and sold the three G29 mags I was almost halfway there on the cost of a G20.
Old 08-01-2013, 03:48   #14
legalsten

I thought I had read that people were having good luck with the conversion barrels. Maybe in a few weeks I will run a few hundred through mine. If it gives any problems I will just sell the barrel and get me a G 29 to go with my G 20 .
legalsten is offline   Reply With Quote