Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-17-2013, 18:57   #1
blastfact

Kel-Tec P-3AT, Support Fl.

I just got home with a new KT P-3AT, Blue/Gray Grip.

With all the Butt Hurt folks crying about boycotting Fl. I decided to support Fl. So off to the LGS I went for a little KT .380 made in Cocoa Fl. Not like I need another .380. I already have a BG380.

I also own a KT PF-9 like Zimm's. And it's been a good stand up pistol. So now I have it's little brother.

I have already took it down. Did a full inspection and clean up. Put a few dabs of M1 grease in the proper areas. Will take it out this weekend and get it all broken in and ready for service.
blastfact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 19:08   #2
GSSF17
...2 of 'em

KT weapons, or sometimes referred to as "lego guns", get some criticism from the peanut gallery, and maybe deservedly so. That said, I have never had a problem with any of my Kel-Tecs, as they are not "show pieces"- they are "go pieces."

Thanks for the toast to good ol' F-L-A !!!!

-Rimfire Club#1097 -Florida Glockers Club#1097 -Black Rifle Club #1097 -Certified Glock Armorer

RIP John Noveske- 1976 - 2013
GSSF17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 19:09   #3
Joshhtn
The eBay Guy

Love my PF9!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Joshhtn; 07-18-2013 at 08:17..
Joshhtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 19:19   #4
ChicagoZman

Of all the new guns that come back to the shop for service (not very many to begin with), it seems that Kel Tecs are returned less often than other makes, including such big names as Ruger, Smith & Wesson and Springfield. And when they are sent back to Kel Tec, they are repaired or replaced free of charge to the customer. While I don't personally own any, I wouldn't hesitate to carry one if I did.
ChicagoZman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 21:52   #5
dwm2112

Enjoy my P3AT.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:28   #6
The_Gun_Guru
Ban Democrats!!

Thank you for your support, we appreciate it!

Congrats on your new gun!

I was born in and still live in Fort Lauderdale and I own five Kel-Tecs:

P-11
P-32
PMR-30
Sub2000 G17 mags
Sub2000 G22 mags

They are a great company and they have come a long way in the industry. Always remember.....

FLORIDA ROCKS!!!!!

TGG
Kalashnikov Klub #4519
OD G19 - LOTS of AKs - Only ONE AR....but it's a Colt!
NO AMNESTY FOR ILLEGAL ALIENS!!!
This is America. If you can't or won't speak English, PLEASE LEAVE!!!
The_Gun_Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:45   #7
Bob Hafler

Never had a problem with my P3at and I treat that pistol like crap. It is by far my most abused pistol. Probably because It was so inexpensive to buy in 2009 is the reason. It is well maintained though as far as cleaning and lubing. It has been sweat on, rained on, to many times to count, drenched in water from diving in a pool with it in my pocket, has seen more road dirt from being in a vest pocket on Harley road trips, Thrown across a garage and bouncing on the floor fully loaded (unintentionally) and not going off and it still shoots 100%. People can say what they want About the P3at but mine has been through more hell than most people pistols on this forum. That I would bet on.
Bob Hafler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:37   #8
mac66
Plant the seed

I had a P11 which I liked but sold it to a friend who needed a back up gun fast. Now he won't sell it back to me as per our agreement...

Also have a P32 just to play with. Always been reliable.

Would love to replace my P11 but have been looking at the P3AT or the PF9 for my daughter's CC gun.

For those who have both, what is the difference in size? I'd give her my P32 but I prefer she carry at least a .380.

CDNN has both right now for around $250.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
mac66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:23   #9
Bob Hafler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac66 View Post
I had a P11 which I liked but sold it to a friend who needed a back up gun fast. Now he won't sell it back to me as per our agreement...

Also have a P32 just to play with. Always been reliable.

Would love to replace my P11 but have been looking at the P3AT or the PF9 for my daughter's CC gun.

For those who have both, what is the difference in size? I'd give her my P32 but I prefer she carry at least a .380.

CDNN has both right now for around $250.

Mac Not all women find that the P3at slide is easy to rack for them. Plus that the recoil can be a little much for women to handle as they are not range toys and just SD tools. Hate shooting to many rounds through my P3at at one time because it is so small and snappy. I have it purely for Up close SD for when anything else is just to big or uncomfortable to carry at that time.
Bob Hafler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:39   #10
md2lgyk

I've had a P32 for several years. It's the gun I carry the most. I did a lot of looking around when I wanted a .380, and settled on a Taurus 738. It's the only micro pistol I found that has real sights. But I wouldn't mind having a P3AT as well.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:56   #11
J.ThaddeusToad
Checkmate

I always figured Zimmerman pulled the trigger more than once, but his toy gun could only get one round off based on my own Kel-Tec experience.

I have a P3AT sitting at home waiting to be sent to KT again. It used to jam every 4th round or so, until I sent it in. After I got it back, it jammed every time it fired. Awesome.

It's been several months since I got it back, and I just haven't taken the time to send it back again because I bought my G19 as soon as I left the range with my single-shot KT.

edit: BTW, although limp-wristing was not my issue, I would caution anyone against getting ANY pistol this lightweight in .380 for a woman. It takes a very solid grip, even with mag extension.

Last edited by J.ThaddeusToad; 07-18-2013 at 12:06..
J.ThaddeusToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 19:16   #12
blastfact

This pistol is my wifes birthday present. She can't wait to shoot it. She has shot every thing we have right now from a BG380 to my G20. Her other pistol is a S&W 60 Pro. And yes she can shoot full house .357's out of it.

My PF-9 has had the crap shot out of it. I've put well over 7k rounds through it. The Frankin Screw came loose. I caught it before it fell out. Called KT and told them to use LT Blue. KT sent me a firing pen, spring, screw, extractor, extractor spring, new mag release, recoil spring set and rod. I did not need a bit of it. Didn't even ask for it. Called them one time to ask about mag followers. I wasn't having any issues. Just noticed they were wearing a tad. They sent me everything mentioned above plus new mag followers, springs and a slide release lever and spring. At 5k rounds I cracked the slide. "DAMIT"! Called KT, they gave me a RMA# I stripped the slide. Sent them a bare slide back and they sent me a dressed out slide less the barrel. I also told them I shoot book and about 124/148gn XTP and GD reloads.

I've got a little baggy full of replacement parts I didn't need to start with.

And I expect good things out of the little .380. And I know KT will back us. When I took it down for it's first cleaning. I completely stripped it down and inspected it. I can't find a working flaw at all.

We will be at the range this weekend. She can't wait to shoot it.

Last edited by blastfact; 07-18-2013 at 19:17..
Old 07-18-2013, 21:29   #13
The_Gun_Guru
Ban Democrats!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
I've had a P32 for several years. It's the gun I carry the most.
My P-32 has been 100% and is my EDC, even to work where guns are prohibited on the job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.ThaddeusToad View Post
I always figured Zimmerman pulled the trigger more than once, but his toy gun could only get one round off based on my own Kel-Tec experience.
He only needed one to kill the bad guy Sometimes that's all it takes. Why waste good ammo if you don't need to?

My P-11 needs to go back to KT but I can't bring myself to spend $60 to fix a $200 gun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastfact View Post
And I know KT will back us.
Yes they will, they are a great company!

TGG
Kalashnikov Klub #4519

Last edited by The_Gun_Guru; 07-18-2013 at 21:30..
Old 07-18-2013, 21:51   #14
garya1961

The slide on the PF9 is prone to crack around the 5000 mark but not all do, just a few. You can send the whole gun in after it has worn out and they will send you a new one.
I own a P3AT, a PF9, and a P40. The P40 is hard to find as they only made them a couple of years. I usually carry the P3AT.
garya1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 21:54   #15
Andy W

Random question. What ammo are you guys running in your P32? AFAIK the only round I've heard of that will even think about expanding is the Corbon JHP load they offer for it.
Andy W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 22:04   #16
OldSchool64
Platinum Membership

I tend to believe in the no expanding bullets for anything less than the 9x19 theory, hard cast or FMJ only.

Last edited by OldSchool64; 07-18-2013 at 22:05.. Reason: spelling
OldSchool64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 22:18   #17
The_Gun_Guru
Ban Democrats!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchool64 View Post
I tend to believe in the no expanding bullets for anything less than the 9x19 theory, hard cast or FMJ only.
I agree

FMJ to make sure it gets to those vital organs.

TGG
Kalashnikov Klub #4519
Old 07-19-2013, 20:22   #18
garya1961

All my guns are loaded with JHPs except my 380, it has FMJs.
garya1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 20:35   #19
GlockTrader45

I carried a P3AT for two years. Never had any issues. I ended up selling it however, and bought a Glock 19 because at that time 380 was $22/box and 9mm was $13. My Glock 19 & S&W 19 are the two best handguns I own. Maybe it's time to pick up another KelTec?
GlockTrader45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 21:14   #20
blastfact

I reload almost all our ammo. And or load up new ammo. I buy very little retail ammo. And even with the little .380's I load 90gn XTP's at max Hornady book or slightly above with TightGroup or HP-38. My BG380 eat them up! I'm sure the little KT will too.

She will run 50 rounds of Blazer Brass FMJ's through it to function check and get a feel for the mouse gun. <<< She bought that ammo today at a yard sale,, LMAO for cheap.

But even in the little .380's we are going to run JHP's of the XTP type. They expand but don't flower out so to speak like GD's. I also like how they shoot. With a great bearing surface they are very accurate for us.

I think the little hottish XTP's will work well for us in deep conceal / bug roll. HD and my CC are covered with anything from 9mm, .357, 10mm or .45 acp.