Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:49   #1
maybebaby

Anyone carry in Scottevest jacket

Interested in feedback on the Scottevest. Looks like you could carry a 20sf with ease. Comments? What styles are the best for concealed carry? Thanks
maybebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:18   #2
dregotglock
CHL Instructor

I do not have any experience with this specific vest.

My advice though is to verify the fabric weight. I have found that my Addidas Vest is excellent for cover garment but will not hold significant weight of any sort without heavy sag. I can not imagine a G20 in my Addidas Vest that is very similar to the Scottvest Travel Vest. My leather motorcycle vest holds the weight of my G30 without the sag. But the leather is much heavier in weight.

YMMV though -

Be safe,
Doc
Old 07-17-2013, 17:50   #3
dave27

I have a Scottevest Travel Vest and its a great piece of gear. I wouldn't carry a gun in it but it makes a great concealment vest without looking like the typical gun vest. I have black but I kinda wish I'd gotten a different color, just to remove that last hint of "tactical-ness". Here in the North East vests like these are 3 season attire, common in the general population, not just within the CCW community. Looks a little out of place in the summer though. And despite what a lot of the reviews say they do get a little warm if its hot out, I don't wear mine in the summer much. I wish they made a lightweight, collarless version for warmer climates.

It does do a good job of distributing a load and its pretty impressive what you can get crammed into it. However it can only hold so much before it starts to look like its carrying a lot of weight. The good news is that point is beyond what any other vest can pull off. I wholeheartedly recommend the vests.

That said, I've had less luck with their pants. The cut is pretty weird, I had to get the length hemmed which only exaggerated the low cut crotch, looked very weird on me, think M.C. Hammer pants. (This may not be an issue for taller guys though, I'm 5'5".)
G1Niner's Club #343

"Trying is the first step towards failure" -Homer Simpson
dave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 18:12   #4
chemcmndr

I have the travel vest and I agree with what Dave has said about it. It's able to hold a lot and not look like it as well as being able to manage your wires and electronic gadgets. I guess that's why the Secret Service likes them too.
chemcmndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 14:27   #5
rockymtnhorror

I have one of their winter weight jackets. It has all the pockets you'd ever want. Plus the outer handwarmer pockets have hook and loop patches in them. I picked up a holster from another vendor (Scottevest doesn't make them) that I use for my EDC on my strong side, and a mag pouch for the weak side to balance it. Works well. Plus it's a well made jacket.

I have the vest too, but only use it as a cover occasionally.
rockymtnhorror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 05:59   #6
Bill Lumberg
BTF Inventor

No substitute for a belt-mounted holster. Not bad as a cover garment.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:14   #7
biggun1911

I have the light weight travel vest and it covers well, but I don't use it much in the summer. I have the steel grey and my wife wears a black one.

My wife wears the vest when shopping, instead of taking a purse. She does this year round.

I don't wear the vest very often. In the winter I am wearing a heavy shirt or a jacket. In the summer I wear Hawaiian shirts.

For a vest I prefer my light weight vest from concealed carry clothiers. It does not have a collar, lighter and covers well. It much better for summer wear.
biggun1911 is offline   Reply With Quote