Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-11-2013, 00:32   #21
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncan View Post
I'm going to give them a learning opportunity to show responsibility.

Like the simple timer approach.

But I live in Microsoft country. All WiFi networks are locked in my neighborhood.

Thanks all.
Friends that will hand out passwords?
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:35   #22
captainstormy

Send a message via ICQ to captainstormy Send a message via AIM to captainstormy Send a message via Yahoo to captainstormy
Or the ability to tether or hot spot from a phone or tablet?
Old 07-13-2013, 09:11   #23
gemeinschaft
AKA Fluffy316

Send a message via AIM to gemeinschaft Send a message via Yahoo to gemeinschaft Send a message via Skype™ to gemeinschaft
Quote:
Originally Posted by duncan View Post
I need to impose a summer schedule on the Internet usage late at night.

Have a couple of teen-aged boys who would chat or game all night here and there.

Middle son told me he pulled an all-nighter doing a programming project that will not make him any certain amount of money - that donation stuff. I told him unless you're getting paid over-time or studying all night for a college final, not acceptable.

Need to impose rule that from 11:30pm to 7am, no kids on the Internet. Only adults who have jobs, pay the bills, and are responsible.

Can someone advise how?
Duncan, while I can understand your concern, I know that I have spent many nights working late because that is the only time that I can find where people leave me alone.

I'd be interested in hearing about what he is programming. The fact is, technology is running at such a fast pace that by the time there are college courses to teach programming skills, they are outdated. Learning by doing is a must for anyone who wants to succeed in IT and he may be on his way towards making big strides, but you gotta start somewhere.

My buddy's 16 y/o son is paying for college on his own via an app that he wrote in High School for the iPhone... Can you imagine? Wish I would have done that.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:30   #24
Tvov

We had hard wired online access only for years, up until maybe two years ago. Kids computers were in the kitchen eating area, the only place I gave them online access. We could always see what they were doing, and they almost always went to bed (and off computers) before I did. Now that we have wireless, out of habit they still do all their online work in the kitchen.

My son does online gaming a lot, and that has translated into him working on making custom maps for games, and making his "own" games by modifying existing games (legally! Various online PC games provide the ability to mod the games). Involves programming and using various graphics programs. He will probably be bored with the initial "college level" courses.

Good luck on working this out with your kids. At a minimum, I always insisted that my kids got up in the morning on time (for whatever was going on), and had good grades in school. If they couldn't get up on their own, then they simply had to go to bed earlier, until they could. If grades were slipping, they worked on homework instead of playing on the computer. I do feel that proper sleep is needed for school. No electronics in bedrooms, unless they were doing homework.

It seems to have worked out for us... but it was rarely "easy"! Especially these days, where if you try to limit your kids, or God forbid punish them, you are open to charges of child endangerment and/or a visit from the state child welfare office.

I'm not angry, I'm just loud. - Friend's son.
Tvov is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:49   #25
wrenrj1

Do they have day jobs for the summer? Are they fulfilling any duties, responsibilities etc. that they have or what you ask them to do? If they're generally responsible and good kids, personally I wouldn't worry about their internet use or when they use it. Sounds like they are pretty smart kids.

Saying that, if they are irresponsible for not obeying your direction as a parent, that would require consequences. Guess you need to decide.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:57   #26
steve1988

I would like to add my voice to those who are saying "let him program." I understand your concern, but if he is spending that time programming, then he is learning a great skill that he can use later in life to make pretty good money. I look upon people who program without pay to learn the same as I look upon people who are in school for other things. Obviously, no one is paying you to go to school, but the future benefits are far more valuable than trying to get a job without education. Pulling a few all-nighters, as long as he is living up to his other responsibilities will probably help much more than it will hurt.
Thomas Paine: "...arms...discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. ...Horrid mischief would ensue were (the law-abiding) deprived the use of them."
steve1988 is online now   Reply With Quote