Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-10-2013, 14:42   #1
Obi Wan

Laptop Startup Problems... ???

I've got an old(er?) HP 4200ze laptop that I just use for cruising the forums, etc, when I'm downstairs watching TV with my wife and the dogs... or to use in the Sun Room for some quick look-ups on things.

I 'normally' just hibernate it each night for a few nights before I run 'Crap Cleaner' or 'ATF' and then shut it down. Until recently it has always started right up from Hibernation on the first push of the power button.

The problem I've been seeing is that it takes 4-7 times of starting it, shutting it down when the 'wake-up' program won't kick in, re-starting it, shutting it down when nothing happens other than hearing the fans come on and then drop back down in tone to virtually nothing. I've been lucky that 'eventually', on the 5th-8th try either the hibernation will wake up... or if I had off entirely, the HP and Windows icons will eventually come on and the laptop will start up.

When it runs now it's also been extremely slow, which is why I've been running the various analytical programs, but finding nothing thus far.

It has a fairly new HDD in it, and I've maximized the RAM, and it sit on top of a 'chill pad' cooler to help keep the heat down.

It's running Win XP SP3, and I try to keep the extraneous junk programs off of it unless needed for something.

I run Avira Anti-Virus all the time, although recently it has been freezing up. I uninstalled it the other day and re-installed it, but that didn't help.

I ran Spy Bot S&D this morning and found 0 problems.

I'm running Malwarebytes Antimalware software right now, but thus far nothing is showing.

Any solid ideas? Might the processor be crapping out... or the HDD, even though it's fairly new?

???

Thanks.
"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." - Virg Muelleri
Obi Wan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 18:47   #2
Obi Wan

Malwarebytes just finished and found this...
Quote:
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.75.0.1300
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: v2013.07.10.07

Windows XP Service Pack 3 x86 NTFS
Internet Explorer xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Owner :: xxxxxxxxxxxxx

7/10/2013 2:57:02 PM
mbam-log-2013-07-10 (14-57-02).txt

Scan type: Full scan (C:\|)
Scan options enabled: Memory | Startup | Registry | File System | Heuristics/Extra |

Heuristics/Shuriken | PUP | PUM
Scan options disabled: P2P
Objects scanned: 292448
Time elapsed: 3 hour(s), 2 minute(s), 25 second(s)

Memory Processes Detected: 0
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Detected: 0

Registry Keys Detected: 0

Registry Values Detected: 0

Registry Data Items Detected: 1
HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced|StartMenuLogoff

(PUM.Hijack.StartMenu) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and repaired success
Hopefully once I reboot things will look/run better. We'll see soon.
"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." - Virg Muelleri
Old 07-11-2013, 08:46   #3
JimmyN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi Wan View Post

When it runs now it's also been extremely slow, which is why I've been running the various analytical programs, but finding nothing thus far.

Any solid ideas? Might the processor be crapping out... or the HDD, even though it's fairly new?

???

Thanks.
I don't know what the problem could be as far as not coming out of hibernation. Hibernation can sometimes be a problem, but apparently it has been working for you in the past so something changed.

Since your scans did not reveal anything the slow speed could be thermal throttling from high temps. Download and install CPUID Hardware Monitor and run that. It will provide you with the fan speeds, CPU core temps, video temps, HDD temps, etc and you can see if anything is overheating. Also defrag the drive if you haven't done it in a while.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:12   #4
Obi Wan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyN View Post
I don't know what the problem could be as far as not coming out of hibernation. Hibernation can sometimes be a problem, but apparently it has been working for you in the past so something changed.

Since your scans did not reveal anything the slow speed could be thermal throttling from high temps. Download and install CPUID Hardware Monitor and run that. It will provide you with the fan speeds, CPU core temps, video temps, HDD temps, etc and you can see if anything is overheating. Also defrag the drive if you haven't done it in a while.
If I can get it to start up again I'll download the program. I've got something similar on my PC and it monitors pretty much the same stuff.

I don't know enough about what sequence kicks off what, but it's gotten to the point where when I push the power button, it begins to 'rev up' for a few seconds and then the fan/whatever slows down to virtually nothing and it just sits there with the black screen and nothing moving. I power it down, power it back up and go through it again. This morning it didn't ever come on at all.

Anyone have an idea as to what piece of hardware/software might be the key problem here keeping the laptop from powering all the way up and/or keeping Microsoft from kicking in?

I'd love to give up and buy a new laptop, but it ain't in the cards for now. I've just recently been informed of a virtually unavoidable $30K bill coming my way that's got everything pretty much on hold, so repairs need to be the low-budget, duct tape, chewing gum and wire variety. What can I say?

Thanks.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:08   #5
JimmyN

Well since it won't boot up at all then it's likely not a hibernation problem. When you get the black screen is there a cursor blinking in the upper left corner of the screen? You have to look for it, it's rather subtle.

What I would do is boot it from a Windows install or repair disk, a Linux disk, or a DOS boot disk and see if it will boot at all. If it boots from the disk then you have some bad system files on the HD that are causing the boot sequence to fail. If it still doesn't boot from a disk you likely have some hardware that has gone bad and causing it to stop. You getting any beeps during the POST, do you see any POST messages before the black screen? POST messages may be turned off so you get the HP logo rather than the POST information. Which brings up something else to try, can you get into the BIOS and get a screen display with that?
Old 07-11-2013, 14:02   #6
Obi Wan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyN View Post
Well since it won't boot up at all then it's likely not a hibernation problem. When you get the black screen is there a cursor blinking in the upper left corner of the screen? You have to look for it, it's rather subtle.
No, there is nothing on the page at all... subtle or not.

What I would do is boot it from a Windows install or repair disk, a Linux disk, or a DOS boot disk and see if it will boot at all. If it boots from the disk then you have some bad system files on the HD that are causing the boot sequence to fail. If it still doesn't boot from a disk you likely have some hardware that has gone bad and causing it to stop. You getting any beeps during the POST, do you see any POST messages before the black screen? POST messages may be turned off so you get the HP logo rather than the POST information. Which brings up something else to try, can you get into the BIOS and get a screen display with that?
I am NOT getting any beeps, nor do I see any messages before or during the black screen... UNLESS it is going to start up and then I either see the 'hibernation wake-up bar', or an HP logo. But if I see those, everything works fine.

I have not yet tried getting into the BIOS. I'll do that along with trying to get into SAFE mode immediately before whatever does try to start stops on me.

I need to dig out the rescue disks. I think I know where "I hid them for safekeeping"...
Old 07-11-2013, 17:40   #7
srhoades

Sounds like a motherboards problem to me. I would disable hibernation. And if you are still having problems just turning it on and getting just a black screen, the board is definitely going bad.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:12   #8
audiomechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by srhoades View Post
Sounds like a motherboards problem to me.
+1. Sounds like you have a failing component on the motherboard. Could be anything really, but start with the basics: reseat the RAM stick(s), remove and reseat the HDD, and if you're handy enough, reseat the CPU and the GPU (if the GPU is not integrated into the motherboard). If you reseat the CPU, it might also be a good idea to remove the thermal paste on it and apply some new thermal paste.

Beyond that, you may be fried. It's definitely not an OS issue. This is a hardware problem.

Sent from my orifice
audiomechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 19:18   #9
srhoades

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomechanic View Post
+1. Sounds like you have a failing component on the motherboard. Could be anything really, but start with the basics: reseat the RAM stick(s), remove and reseat the HDD, and if you're handy enough, reseat the CPU and the GPU (if the GPU is not integrated into the motherboard). If you reseat the CPU, it might also be a good idea to remove the thermal paste on it and apply some new thermal paste.

Beyond that, you may be fried. It's definitely not an OS issue. This is a hardware problem.

Sent from my orifice
He has a laptop, there is no reseating the CPU.
Old 07-12-2013, 21:24   #10
Detectorist

take all the ram out and then try to boot it up. if still not booting take the hd out..

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place. George Bernard Shaw
Detectorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:02   #11
audiomechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by srhoades View Post
He has a laptop, there is no reseating the CPU.
Not easily anyway.

Sent from my orifice
audiomechanic is offline   Reply With Quote