SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-08-2013, 20:58   #1
duncan
Lifetime Membership

Father needs to limit wifi router to kids

Folks, I have two teenagers who need their wifi access to my Belkin router limited.

I have their laptops' IP addresses.

But Belkin's utility SW does not seem to have a schedule lockout feature for parents.

Would love assistance here.
Old 07-08-2013, 21:47   #2
matt_lowry123

I know this probably won't be much help, but are you kicking them off because of the download speed? I just bought a new router that's exteamly fast compared to my old one. I had a Netgear N-300 speed and it would top out about 1.7 mps download speed. If somebody was streaming a movie it would kill the speed. I bought a Netgear duel band N-600 speed router and it's downloading around 14 mps.

I don't know much about computers, but if they're streaming movies. You might want to look at getting a new router. Sorry I can't help on the lock out feature.
matt_lowry123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 21:55   #3
datatech2550

I couldn't find any good firmware so I went low tech. I bought an access point and a programmable timer.

Just set the AP up with different WEP key and programmed the timer to power it up when we want the kids to have net access. As a bonus, my wife can walk into the master closet, push a button on the timer and shut down Netflix, FB, all of that.
Old 07-08-2013, 23:49   #4
duncan
Lifetime Membership

I need to impose a summer schedule on the Internet usage late at night.

Have a couple of teen-aged boys who would chat or game all night here and there.

Middle son told me he pulled an all-nighter doing a programming project that will not make him any certain amount of money - that donation stuff. I told him unless you're getting paid over-time or studying all night for a college final, not acceptable.

Need to impose rule that from 11:30pm to 7am, no kids on the Internet. Only adults who have jobs, pay the bills, and are responsible.

Can someone advise how?
Old 07-09-2013, 00:25   #5
wrangler_dave9

I rent my modem/router from my ISP, it's about a 1 1/2 years old. The firmware/router utilities screen allows me to limit access time for all devices, or set limits to individual devices. I can also limit what websites, games, chat services are allowed overall, or again by a schedule. My router is made by action tec. Might be time to update your router.... Just my .02.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
wrangler_dave9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:39   #6
stevemc

Kids are very resourceful and will find a way to resist parenting. You may also be able to restrict access on the computer itself, based on time of day and day of week.
stevemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:19   #7
drew4691

On my Linksys router, there's an "Access Restrictions" tab. You can set up the policy you have stated... You can select by IP address or MAC address. (I would choose MAC address, since IP's can change). Everyday from certain time to certain time. You have to set the ports you want blocked.. but thats pretty easy. 80 is web traffic and 443 is https traffic. That will shut down Netflix, Facebook, Google, etc. Like what was said before, kids are resourceful, so they could figure a way to bypass it.
drew4691 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:19   #8
captainstormy

Send a message via ICQ to captainstormy Send a message via AIM to captainstormy Send a message via Yahoo to captainstormy
Quote:
Originally Posted by duncan View Post
Middle son told me he pulled an all-nighter doing a programming project that will not make him any certain amount of money - that donation stuff. I told him unless you're getting paid over-time or studying all night for a college final, not acceptable.
As a programmer I gotta say I'm not sure that's the stance you should take.

Most of the skills I have that have advanced my career in major ways I've learned working for free either on open source projects or donation/charity work. That's really the only way to build experience in anything. Every employer wants you to already know everything they need you to know before they hire you these days.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:49   #9
datatech2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew4691 View Post
On my Linksys router, there's an "Access Restrictions" tab. You can set up the policy you have stated... You can select by IP address or MAC address. (I would choose MAC address, since IP's can change). Everyday from certain time to certain time. You have to set the ports you want blocked.. but thats pretty easy. 80 is web traffic and 443 is https traffic. That will shut down Netflix, Facebook, Google, etc. Like what was said before, kids are resourceful, so they could figure a way to bypass it.
My boys best friend would show him how to spoof his mac address and vpn around the port blocking.

By powering down the wireless none of that matters. I have a couple of hard wired connections available (like at the kitchen table) if the kids want to bring the laptop out with the parents and plug in. Otherwise, when the internet is off, it's off.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:16   #10
IndyGunFreak
RIP My Friends

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew4691 View Post
Exactly this.

As long as they can't log into the router, this will work just fine. When my sister got her first computer, she was CONSTANTLY on it for hours. My parents asked me to somehow restrict her access.. it was very easy with a Linksys router. It's actually quite easy with a Netgear router as well. I'm actually surprised its not possible with a Belkin... what model router is this?

Look in the router management for "Schedule" and "Access restrictions".

It's pretty basic how you do this. As mentioned, first.. use your router to find the IP/Mac addresses for the devices on your network that you want to block.

After you know that, you set a schedule. We'll say, M-F, 2200-0600.
Then you set what is going to be restricted during those hours. Most of the time, there will be "LOTS" of options here... FTP, SSH, etc. Just choose 'All'.
Then set the Mac address/IP address this rule will apply to.
Hit apply to save the changes.
Listen to your kids fuss M-F, 2200-0600.

If they use Windows... you might be able to get some parental control software, but as mentioned, kids are very resourceful, and it's likely they'd find a way around it.... It would be best to try via your router.

IGF
The fire is no longer my major concern since I am leaving immediately on an unexpected road trip to Indianapolis. Watch the national news over the next couple of days, I'll wave... well, only if I'm cuffed in the front.
RIP Jack

Last edited by IndyGunFreak; 07-09-2013 at 11:27..
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:22   #11
Bushflyr
ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ

You're going about it the wrong way. By turning off their wifi you're simply presenting them with a challenge to get around your block. Just tell them no computer between 10 and 7, or whenever, and be done with it. If you see them on between those hours, easy to do by looking at your network map, they get their computer privileges taken away for a week or whatever. It's called parenting, not policing.

That which does not kill you has made a tactical error. --Tayler
Bushflyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 14:23   #12
Hauptmann6

Send a message via AIM to Hauptmann6 Send a message via MSN to Hauptmann6 Send a message via Yahoo to Hauptmann6
Quote:
Even if he's not getting paid for it, he's learning alot and will make him VERY marketable for his skills. And programing is something that when you get into the zone, you don't want to leave for fear that you will lose track of where you are and start making mistakes.

Also, be thankful they are at home programming and watching movies. They could be out getting into real trouble.
The only things that last forever
Are memories and sorrow

Last edited by Hauptmann6; 07-09-2013 at 14:24..
Hauptmann6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 15:42   #13
cgwahl
Sheriffs a near

Quote:

You might want to rethink your stance on this one. As a programmer, I wish I would have done more of this when I was in college to help get experience and my name out there.

Pawsitively Stylish Mobile Pet Salon (Southern California)
cgwahl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 17:15   #14
Glock!9

Send a message via AIM to Glock!9
I agree with programmers here, let him work on projects.
I also think you should set house rules rather than a policy in the router...if they break the rules there are consequences...
Old 07-09-2013, 17:41   #15
igorts

another one for old trusty linksys.
at scheduled time only my MAC is allowed to be routed, plus VOIP.
wifi security filters MACs as well.
single picked IP allowed to connect to router to manage.
so far had no issue and begging for extend hours no longer asked.
Facebook blocked by keyword
S&W TRR8
Glock 29SF G20SF-L G34 G19
igorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 18:32   #16
duncan
Lifetime Membership

Everyone, thanks for the good advice. Of course, I would prefer that young people simple obey the rules and no late night Internet. No matter what you're doing, not getting at least 6 hours of sleep is bad for your health.

I fear that there are a lot of addicted kids out there that cannot put down the digital crackpipe.

I'm fine with him doing programming projects but he also needs a job.

My solution is encouraging to get a part time job, work and learn under other adults, program projects in your free time, and get a life (cars, girls, loud music, rock concerts, Comicon, range visits, etc).

Not all Internet and gaming, all of the time.

I think we're all trying to raise responsible citizens and that means respecting the rules and the authority. Internal controls might not cut it so I may have to go for external controls for a short time to train him.
Old 07-09-2013, 18:45   #17
GT4494

Quote:

Have a couple of teen-aged boys who would chat or game all night here and there.

Need to impose rule that from 11:30pm to 7am, no kids on the Internet. Only adults who have jobs, pay the bills, and are responsible.

Can someone advise how?
simple non technical approach... Put router in a secure place (your room maybe) and put a wall outlet timer on it.

A little crude but effective.
GT4494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 20:05   #18
Don H

Unless you live in the sticks they will probably just use the neighbors wifi. I have over half a dozen access points around me (unsecured) that I could connect to at any given time.

Last edited by Don H; 07-09-2013 at 20:05..
Don H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:01   #19
IndyGunFreak
RIP My Friends

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don H View Post
Unless you live in the sticks they will probably just use the neighbors wifi. I have over half a dozen access points around me (unsecured) that I could connect to at any given time.
That's another good point.. something you really can't control unfortunately... Although that would be something you could do w/ software (like Net Nanny)... but then that gives the kid's an opportunity to try and crack it.

IGF
The fire is no longer my major concern since I am leaving immediately on an unexpected road trip to Indianapolis. Watch the national news over the next couple of days, I'll wave... well, only if I'm cuffed in the front.
RIP Jack
Old 07-11-2013, 00:16   #20
duncan
Lifetime Membership

I'm going to give them a learning opportunity to show responsibility.

Like the simple timer approach.

But I live in Microsoft country. All WiFi networks are locked in my neighborhood.

Thanks all.
Old 07-11-2013, 00:32   #21
IndyGunFreak
RIP My Friends

Quote:
I'm going to give them a learning opportunity to show responsibility.

Like the simple timer approach.

But I live in Microsoft country. All WiFi networks are locked in my neighborhood.

Thanks all.
Friends that will hand out passwords?
RIP Jack
Old 07-11-2013, 08:35   #22
captainstormy

Send a message via ICQ to captainstormy Send a message via AIM to captainstormy Send a message via Yahoo to captainstormy
Or the ability to tether or hot spot from a phone or tablet?
Old 07-13-2013, 09:11   #23
gemeinschaft
AKA Fluffy316

Send a message via AIM to gemeinschaft Send a message via Yahoo to gemeinschaft Send a message via Skype™ to gemeinschaft
Quote:

Can someone advise how?
Duncan, while I can understand your concern, I know that I have spent many nights working late because that is the only time that I can find where people leave me alone.

I'd be interested in hearing about what he is programming. The fact is, technology is running at such a fast pace that by the time there are college courses to teach programming skills, they are outdated. Learning by doing is a must for anyone who wants to succeed in IT and he may be on his way towards making big strides, but you gotta start somewhere.

My buddy's 16 y/o son is paying for college on his own via an app that he wrote in High School for the iPhone... Can you imagine? Wish I would have done that.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:30   #24
Tvov

We had hard wired online access only for years, up until maybe two years ago. Kids computers were in the kitchen eating area, the only place I gave them online access. We could always see what they were doing, and they almost always went to bed (and off computers) before I did. Now that we have wireless, out of habit they still do all their online work in the kitchen.

My son does online gaming a lot, and that has translated into him working on making custom maps for games, and making his "own" games by modifying existing games (legally! Various online PC games provide the ability to mod the games). Involves programming and using various graphics programs. He will probably be bored with the initial "college level" courses.

Good luck on working this out with your kids. At a minimum, I always insisted that my kids got up in the morning on time (for whatever was going on), and had good grades in school. If they couldn't get up on their own, then they simply had to go to bed earlier, until they could. If grades were slipping, they worked on homework instead of playing on the computer. I do feel that proper sleep is needed for school. No electronics in bedrooms, unless they were doing homework.

It seems to have worked out for us... but it was rarely "easy"! Especially these days, where if you try to limit your kids, or God forbid punish them, you are open to charges of child endangerment and/or a visit from the state child welfare office.

I'm not angry, I'm just loud. - Friend's son.
Tvov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:49   #25
wrenrj1

Do they have day jobs for the summer? Are they fulfilling any duties, responsibilities etc. that they have or what you ask them to do? If they're generally responsible and good kids, personally I wouldn't worry about their internet use or when they use it. Sounds like they are pretty smart kids.

Saying that, if they are irresponsible for not obeying your direction as a parent, that would require consequences. Guess you need to decide.